1.00 News, Info and Gossip

Well, actually, when I think about it... There is a very, very slight possibility of getting a set/unique from champions. But it's at something like 1/8th of the chance from a normal monster.

Warning--this is going to be somewhat long and OT, but still relevant to the "cause":

Earlier this year I read this thread thinking why the hell do people play 1.00? Certainly the game can't be very good. You don't have all the nice uniques or runewords like in LOD, no act 5, lower res, etc. But after reading some of the in-depth guides by @Treeharl and @helvete, I gave it a go. Having only played pre-Lod many years ago, it seemed like an entirely different game. Re-learning the way everything was balanced took some time indeed. But to surprise, it ended up being great.

Perhaps the best moment I've had in D2 was with classic. I first played D2 years ago on the family computer, and it took months to reach Diablo. The battle lasted at least an hour or two, it was nuts. But after killing him with my Barbarian, I nearly jumped and told my parents out of excitement. The way in which the game was played, was such that boss fights really meant something. Diablo was supposed to be strong, scary, and something you want to stay away from. Not the easiest part of Chaos runs, whom gets milked like a cow. Hell even cows were scary. A fully geared character has to watch their back against them, or else they're the hamburger.

As great as LOD was, especially 1.07, I think the pinnacle of this franchise was the original game. The great feeling of mowing everything down with a lance barb, or spamming orb/hyrda with a sorc. Farming everything for gold, because it's actually useful for something. Then gambling to unveil that SoJ; or seeing yellow text on the ground, knowing it just might be the ultimate rare, but you have know idea what stats it will have. All of this changed in LoD, perhaps because the devs thought it was too easy; or maybe they didn't like the state of the game. Whatever the reason is, all the stuff about classic which changed, is what made this game awesome. I've never had the same feeling with the Expansion as in 1.00 when my WW barb is just plowing through everything. Sure, seeing a nice ultra-unique after endless rack/boss runs is nice, but where is the "hack-n-slash" feel if your just milking one monster?

It's a shame they patched all the LOD changes into classic, as it would be great to play the original game online. Who knows what Brevik and the Schaefer brothers true intention was. Judging by the 1.10 patch however, I don't think I want to know. They quit Blizzard afterwards, so I'm guessing they simply gave up on the game. Maybe feeling they couldn't repair it, or hacks on bnet were too much to combat. Here's a quote from a mod-maker who seems to get the idea:
"the hack'n'slash feeling of D2 was already damaged beyond repair in 2001 when Blizzard turned it into a testing ground for WoW mechanics, ultimately culminating in 1.10+'s unrewarding and self-perpetuating trudge where everything that was once fun about the game has been nerfed to oblivion (yes, even the loot despite all the new and shiny stuff --- finding a couple of preset unique items after killing the same trash for the nth time in LoD has never been as rewarding as unearthing a great rare item you just happen to stumble upon in 1.00-1.06)"

Anyhow, I've been taking a break from D2 the past couple months. Sometime this fall I'm going to start up in classic, untwinked. I'm thinking about creating a thorns-paladin, which in case anyone didn't know ATD is really powerful in this patch. I might also do a bowazon.

Last edited:
I have been playing D3 for the last month and see many similarities with Classic.
- Importance of rares, especially in early game.
- Only one unique in classic feels like the personalised loot in D3
- More hack & slash gameplay
- I don’t know what I’m doing in either :)

Edit:
- MF is almost non existent

Last edited:
Was home sick from work for a day and a half this week and I ended up getting a baron title for my paladin. Build was just bh/conc, couple points in smite, couple in redemption, holy shield until it stops improving block chance much (slvl 16). Screenshot is already outdated as he's at lvl 61 now.

Also attached are screenshots of a typo in the quest log (can't believe how many typos there are in 1.0) and the bug in river of flame where a barb can leap (or a sorceress can teleport) onto invisible islands in the River of Flame.

The plan for awhile has been to beat the game with each class in 1.00. Amazon may be next. Not really looking forward to the amazon playthrough. Does anyone have any tips for solo amazon?

(Edit: Holy shield stats seem to indicate that lvl 16 is the last level that increases block chance, maxes out at +21% http://web.archive.org/web/20000816000101/http://www.battle.net:80/diablo2/skills/p3.shtml)

Also about blocking: does it actually work in 1.0? I have something like 66% chance to block and I never see the blocking animation even when standing still.

Last edited:
Also about blocking: does it actually work in 1.0? I have something like 66% chance to block and I never see the blocking animation even when standing still.

https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-classic-1-06b.745320/
There’s a bug in Classic that makes monsters have 4 times as much AR as intended...

Defense and blocking are both essentially useless except in PvP. Monsters have a very high AR and will almost always hit, even with 75% block. Have a nice trip :D

Defense and blocking are both essentially useless except in PvP. Monsters have a very high AR and will almost always hit, even with 75% block. Have a nice trip :D
That sounds wrong. If that's really the case, no one would ever be using a Sigon's Guard or a 3D tower shield in classic. The attack formula rolls for block completely independently in the expansion, and I'm pretty sure the only thing that changed from classic was that blocking melee attacks had the animation added, whereas in classic it just looked like a miss.

It'd be trivial to test it anyway; just put on a Sigon's Guard and tank some hits and see if 2/3 of incoming attacks are missing.

Sigon's shield is somewhat effective, but due to the bugged AR it still isn't quite as good as a when the bug was fixed. I haven't touched 1.00 in awhile but neither of my characters blocked well and they had about 50-60% chance.

Edit: I'll test it out later and see if it's a broken animation or actually bugged to be much less useful. Been busy with other things.

https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/a-guide-to-classic-1-06b.745320/

I was aware of that bug, but I guess I underestimated it. I didn't think it would account for never blocking an attack at all through the whole game.

Also, fun history: here is the first reference to this bug that I can find, by Jarulf no less: http://www.network54.com/Forum/31101/message/966001167/Do+monsters+hit+"to+often"-

Encountered something strange this morning while leveling my paladin... A multishot oblivion knight boss who seems to fire arrows? Is this a known thing that I just never noticed before? Seemed to happen about the same time he cast decrepifiy.

Getting the screenshot was harrowing, as I'm sure you know if you've come upon a multishot oblivion knight in hell. The two arrows are visible in the upper-left portion of the curse's cast radius.

Well imagine De Seis on steroids... That's definitely some sort of bug. It looks as though the monsters actually use the multishot skill (i.e. lv 1-3 for arrows).

I've finally got all five characters (and a mule character) to the end of Normal difficulty and they are somewhere between lvl 27 and 28. What is a good level to begin Nightmare? I am playing each character individually (except for the character that is baby-sitting the mule) therefore I'm only playing at players1, so where is the best place to build up my XP before heading out to NM?

Honestly I would stay in act 4 and do RoF or outer steppes until 30. Then you can power all the way to act 4 hell. Nightmare really isn't that difficult, you can get through it with a level 25 character. Same with hell, I've managed act 4 hell with a level 30 WW barb =)

I'm so happy i found this thread here! I began 2 weeks ago with Classic 1.00, first with a paladin then with a sorceress! Have anyone of you linked any guides about your choice of builds? I'm thinking about a thorn + conversation-paladin and/or a hydra/FO-sorc with alot of static field.

~ John

Installed D2 again and am working on 1.00.

My barb just hit 35 and my sork is 28. I'm going to spend a few days farming act 4 normal RoF for war scepters/war staffs/grim wands. I've got some nice rares on my barb and sork but the sork is still missing weapon/armor/shield/1 ring. Once I feel like she's good and geared I'll move forward to act 4 Nightmare and spend some time farming. I think I'll be in act 4 hell by Sunday.

My plan is to spend a significant amount of time in 1.00 before I move up to 1.06b and onward.

Unfortunately I went the softcore route. I've got quite a few projects I want to complete here. My primary goal is a 1.10f bonemancer. I missed out on making one before the Marrowwalk bug was patched. I'd like to gear one up and get into the mid-90's.

How many affixes do rares get? I'm trying to calculate the best possible stats I can get on a +2 sorc amulet with fcr and resist.

6 max, so best possible would be 2/10 with 24@, with one resist at 73, then maybe 119% extra gold and some amount of life or str.

However, this requires item level 90 -2 so must be gambled, as Diablo himself doesn't drop amulets (to my knowledge).

You can also save up skulls and reroll any rare amulet with 6 perfect skulls in 1.06b - this will set ilvl to 99, making any affix available.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High