The SPF I know

@T72on1 you should stop making assumptions, I've read all 10 pages and was one of the original people to reply in depth to this thread. People bickering about a freaking video game is just ridiculous. It seems people don't have any thing better to do than to try an force their ideologies on other people. People should spend more time enjoying the game than bickering.

Also cheating does matter in terms of posting it here, I think you've seen to forgotten that I'm the person that spent a lot of time centralizing all of the FAM and worked with Thyiad to get that done. There are plenty of other things I could have released but they aren't FAM so I didn't.

@Grape
People can just PM and schedule tourneys or other types of events with their closest group of friends privately.

I would definitely want to stress point c). Right now a lot of good points are being made, people make the effort to get out of this situation, it would be nice having one or more mods into the conversation.

A few of us follow this sub-forum more closely than it may appear; however, at least in my case, I generally don't offer feedback or engage with the community on rules-related issues unless asked to by the officiating colleague (Thyiad in this case). That said...

Some of us dii-players and members here, can be prone to mental issues (as has been pointed out in threads before) and suddenly do irrational things. Certainly I can. If that is what happened with our mod, I wan't her to feel like she can come back regardless and find friends and a community.

... please refrain from diving down into the unproductive rabbit hole of armchair psychology. Thyiad is a responsible person but she's also rather busy right now. By all means discuss the concerns she brought up, but leave the inferences and speculation about her state of mind out of the conversation. Nothing positive will come of it.

... please refrain from diving down into the unproductive rabbit hole of armchair psychology. Thyiad is a responsible person but she's also rather busy right now. By all means discuss the concerns she brought up, but leave the inferences and speculation about her state of mind out of the conversation. Nothing positive will come of it.

I'm truly sorry. It most certainly wasn't my intention to offend anyone nor to insinuate anything. Was just concerned because of her long absense from SPF.

My closing thoughts on the matter...

Let's take a quick look at what's going on outside of Diablo. So Blizzard has three main titles: Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. Now out of these three, which one receives the least amount of support? I think the answer is obvious. The original Starcraft was released in 1998, and still to this day, receives active updates. Blizzard even remastered the whole game so it looks great on modern computers. What about Warcraft? Not WoW, but the game released in 2002? Just check this link, it speaks for itself: https://techraptor.net/content/warcraft-3-patch-1-29-changes-balance
Diablo II has only received one notable patch since 2001.

What I'm trying to get at is, where is the article for Diablo II? The one in which Blizzard says they're finally fixing bugs that have been in the game for 15 years; the one which gives SPers the ladder content they have been robbed; the one which gives us a bigger stash? It doesn't exist, and it never will.

People Time Travel because it is their way of extracting every little bit of official content out of the game. It does not receive updates like the other titles, and after two decades there's only so many things you can do with one patch. Especially since battle.net is so far in-the-hole you're basically stuck in SP. The other games don't have this issue, because they receive updates and their multiplayer is half decent. I think Time Traveling, even if done for something cheesy like hybrid rares, is fine--as long as it continues to provide us with content that will extend the life of the game.

This brings me to the Battle.net Beta. If anyone doesn't know by now, an original tester uploaded copies of the discs he got years ago. These were pre-releases of the game which could only be played on Battle.net. Blizzard has conducted such tests for every title since the first Diablo. I spent almost a month of my life looking through thousands of lines of eye-bleeding code to get the Expansion's Beta runnable in SP. I did so entirely because of this community, with the thought that people would like to try out something new. In a game which hasn't received any true updates since 2003, new, official Blizzard content is a big thing. Do you think in 20 years from now when everyone here is 50+, we will go back and play the Beta? No. By then, it will be unlikely that a community even exists. This may be our only chance to make use out of such a unique release. Everyone here is an adult and knows how to handle it. The Beta is available, but the question is, do you want to make use of it? Do you want to witness all this game has to offer while we still have a community?

I spent almost a month of my life looking through thousands of lines of eye-bleeding code to get the Expansion's Beta runnable in SP. I did so entirely because of this community, with the thought that people would like to try out something new.

And I, for one, thank you for this. At the moment I am playing D2:1.00; not to bring items forward, but because, for me at least, it is new! Once I've dabbled in 1.00 a while, I'd love to look at this tester patch, again not to exploit it but to experience it. Over the last few years I've put considerable time into D3, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile, but I always come home to D2 and this community.

People Time Travel because it is their way of extracting every little bit of official content out of the game. It does not receive updates like the other titles, and after two decades there's only so many things you can do with one patch.

Well put. This articulates things which I have thought, and which I did not fully realize.

I still have my 1.00 discs. Years ago I started a sorc in 1.00, thinking how cool it would be to post that Baroness or whatever title she would get. Never finished and I think the .d2s file is lost, but I still may go back to 1.00 (or 1.07) some day just to have that different experience. And as you stated it is official content; it stands alone without the need (or capability) for 3rd party apps and patches. That is about as vanilla as it gets.

The beta is completely different from existing 'legit' patches. The beta was very clearly intended to be used by a limited audience for a limited time, and then discontinued. It can only be accessed now through a hack, while Blizzard has posted download links to non-beta patches.

Curious... are the 1.10 beta patches available via blizzard? I actually don't know their origins for SP since iirc not all were available online?

Galaxyhaxz, at the site you linked to, is it possible to download and play the game without paying for it / validating CD keys?

Specifically the "game-D2.zip" and "game-lod.zip" files. Do they allow people to download and play the game without paying for it?

@zemaj Write your wall of text in notepad/word/OneNote etc. or something, then copy it across...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Specifically the "game-D2.zip" and "game-lod.zip" files. Do they allow people to download and play the game without paying for it?
I'm trying not to be too snarky, but looking at the file sizes should answer that question.

I can't speak for the people actually messing around with 1.07 beta, but I haven't seen any indication that they intend for it to be treated as a new accepted version instead of a curiosity.

You cannot download a usable form of the game from the site I linked to, that is unless you know how to operate a "clientless" bot.

Anybody who downloads the beta patch must copy it over a regular D2X install, just like any other patch in the version switcher. Now there is a site that hosts a lot of copyrighted material, including D2 and its' beta. This site is treading a gray area of the law, but all of that can be completely avoided.

Last edited:
@GalaXyHaXz Minor nitpick: D2 hasn't seen any major patches over the last years, but it seems Blizzard do intend to at least get to some stuff. For example they recently fixed the Anya bug. And from this post, as well as a few posts they made when 1.14 got released, I'd say they are actually working on things. How much is something we'll have to wait and see of course. It's not like I expect any additional content. But bug fixes and some balancing for example ...

I will say, @T72on1, I haven't checked the bnet forums in a while. But that makes my day, the fact they actually did something gives a little hope. But still, how long it will take is going to be unknown. It's been over a year since 1.14 came out, and the forums filled with "fix my temp ban" or "gimme my wishlist in 1.15" blah blah blah. I would've expected that fixing 2-3 bugs would've been done much more quickly...

[OT] Wait! Stop! Anya bug got fixed? What version? (If anyone PvPed anymore), this is big news - 30 free resists for all characters could make a huge difference for some builds. Has anyone actually tested this and confirmed?

Edit: is this actually a patch or server only?[/OT]

Last edited:
*awaits the ban hammer*

C'mon, man, please don't assume I'm going to have a knee jerk reaction and just ban you for stating your opinion. Maybe you haven't spent much time in the forums I've moderated, but I've never done that. Maybe give me the benefit of the doubt?

I do think the more we talk about individuals rather than issues, the more the discussion loses focus. Can we please accept the fact that Thyiad hasn't been able to devote the time and attention to this forum that she would have liked to, and move on?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High