Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

The edit box for postings is a bit broken anyway. For example, the delete key sometimes doesn't work at the end of a line and it's sometimes the same with backspace at its beginning. At times, cut and paste doesn't work as well. Is that a matter of only Firefox?

As a part of the Excel assignment I get my maths students to create a number of graphs including a scatter plot. I received an email from a student telling me that he couldn't make a "spotter pox graft" on a Mac. I'm dying a little inside right now; do I laugh or cry?

Why not both?

Also reply to the student that it's a good thing then that you didn't want him/her to create a spotter pox graft in the first place but that you still need that scatter plot from him/her.

I forgot to mention that the instructions were written instructions not oral ones. So where he got "spotter pox graft" from I have no idea. Sometimes I doubt that they even read what I write.

In a few weeks time we are doing a class on workplace formula (that means anything from calculating the volume of a water tank to calculating the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of something) and I'm tempted to throw in a trick question like:

The volume of a cylinder is given by the formula V = Pi x radius squared x height. If the diameter of the cylinder is 10cm and the height is 20cm, what is the radius of the cylinder?

and see how many **** it up.

My guess is 20% if it were a written test

However, if you rephrase it by not saying "if" and instead just say "you are given this information" with a list of details then I lower my guess to 5%

Some will write comments saying "I think you meant for us to find the volume?" and then continue to do so, or will ask you or whoever is supervising.

When I asked students to convert 500 megalitres to litres (and yes I use the words not just the units) I had a number of students convert 500 millilitres to litres because they thought that I made a mistake writing the homework.

... you mentioned kilo and mega at least once right?

Often students don't have any idea what the prefix "mega" represents in chemistry (just like micro or nano) but they'll at least ask or guess

... you mentioned kilo and mega at least once right?

I change the questions around every semester, so it is quite probably that I did. We go though the prefixes, nano to tera at least, in class and I even give them a table look at.

Today is a crazy d2 day.

Just deeded my IK fury druid on the ancients, with cursed taric just having a sliver of health left before he kills me wolf and man in a single whirl.
Then I'm thinking "hmm what to do now". I had a strafezon planned, but was still missing war travs and atmas scarab after a few thousand meph runs (actually also lost a pair of WTs on a deeds).
So I fire up meph again, and 2nd run I get WTs. 31% MF, but I'll take it. Next run, unique amulet. Yeah haha whatever, prob nokozan or something. Go to ID it, atmas scarab :eek:

I can actually understand mega being misunderstood, since it never gets used (in life sciences at least), but micro is like, standard... In fact, I use ug and ul more often than any other unit :p

Mega is common in engineering Megalitres, Megawatts.

Though to be fair people do sometimes replace Mega with Million instead.

Megaparsec, megahertz.

I've never heard of megalitres.

The most rarely used prefix is probably deka, followed by hekto, then perhaps dezi.

That kind of stuff is measured in cubic meters here.

Beer is measured in hektoliters BTW when large amounts are involved.

I cubic meter is only 1000 litres, seems a bloody small unit to use; the smallest of the lake I usually fish is about 3500ML and that would make it 3.5 million cubic metres.

The most rarely used prefix is probably deka, followed by hekto, then perhaps dezi.

We use deci (tenth), deca (tens) and hecto (hundreds); I love the subtle changes in language.

Last edited:
*likes the random conversation about units of measurements*

So, I've been back to Baldur's Gate, heavily modded with some content/quest mods, AI/difficulty mods, NPC/dialogue/music mods etc. Some of the mods weren't behaving as they should, in that some of the new area maps weren't being placed on my world map properly, or at all.
So, I decided to uninstall one of the mods, which didn't seem to flow, didn't work as intended and just didn't feel right from a playstyle point. I wasn't going to enter any of those areas again, and didn't want the mod, so it'd be fine to remove it, right?

And, I corrupted the entire game. BG no longer runs, at all, and will require a full reinstall. Yay? Perhaps this time, the world map and mods install properly, and work as intended. >.> Maybe I'll take note of what I install, and the order and see if I can work through each stage. There is apparently some order of installation of mods required, otherwise some don't play nice with each other and end up in crashes.
And find the CD's/Images I put somewhere.

But now, sleep. Night bar!

Waitwaitwait, we haven't been nerdy enough with this yet.

We use deci (tenth), deca (tens) and hecto (hundreds); I love the subtle changes in language.

To my knowledge, It would be correct to use c on the latin terms (those <1) and k on the Greek ones (>1), so it seems English spelling is right where German is wrong and vice versa. That's somehow funny :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High