2017 Winter RFL Signup and Running Thread: 2nd Round

You sure spent a lot of time on this round this weekend. I'm only at 7 hours now. I should have quite some time at the end of the week, but still I don't think I'll be able to spend a lot of hours for a second batch, if any.

Yes I did. I knew that next weekend might get busy for me, so there's a chance I won't have any time to play. And this weekend was very chilled and my gf was very busy on Sunday, leaving me hours and hours of spare time to grind. I may have overdone it a bit :) I think I hit my top speed during the weekend, several hours with 25.2 sec average run time, so I'm more than happy with that, although those sub 20 sec runs still baffle me. Unreal. Anyway, my average run time during the whole Round 2 will end up around 27 sec, now at 27.36sec, so that might drop a little bit, but probably not more than 0.10-0.15.

42 Set amulets found, no Arcanna's :(

Your lack of luck when it comes to Arcanna's is baffling. I stopped picking up set amulets since finding my second Tal's, but before that I had 2 from Council alone, in my 10 hour warming up sessions prior to the RFL. Although other set amulets surely are far more common, I've had Arcanna's drop a few times before that as well.

Just forget about it for now and focus on other things. That always works. I did that too with Highlord's and if finally dropped ...

I guess I understand for RFL, since all you're after is runes. But, if PU and ID a charm costs you extra 2 sec on ~19 sec runs. You're only losing 10% efficiency.

Actually, it is way less than 10%. If it were 10%, I'd stop picking them up long time ago. I assume this might buy me 0.5s of runtime at most which is kinda drop 18.5-->18 aka 2.8% difference. Or I might be equally fast and won't notice difference at all... Also I don't ID stuff at all, I just go to gomule to check what I found. Me using my time Id-ing stuff, harharhar :D Maybe occasionally I do ID stuff, but yeah, not really my practice.

It is more about being annoyed by picking up stuff you can't really expect upgrade from. Every GC/Ring I pick up actually make me tele with sorc among the drops and pick them up, filling inventory space faster and having to visit gomule more frequently. With less doing it I'll have even more relaxed and more continuous running which I certainly welcome in window mode.

Recorded sorc vid with 17.8s running, but mid range qualifier dropped, so I could post video now if people don't mind seeing the qualifier or I could just share video after round is done.

The trick is in glide wrapper, it simply slow down s/e too much to be able sub 18s running, so I turned it off. As a consequence, I have to play in window mode without it, but s/e times are fast and with some practice I could achieve really fast running. But I need some practice for it since now I still do too short teleports and so on. Video basically shows all my mistakes, but I do plan on making another one with possibly sub 17s running if that might be possible. But for now lemme know whether to share vid I created or not.

Did 70 more runs on bigger window screen and had 17.24s average. Though I don't pick up much now. Pretty much qualifiers + Ral + Sol + all jewels + small charms + flawless rubies ammies + unique rings/amulets/useful things and still am at rare rings. Decided not to pick up grand charms.

Yeah, shouldn't be much of a problem to make proper video for sorc, though bigger window screen looks very pixelated and ugly.

Iirc for me loading times where actually worse without the glide wrapper (Sven's glide wrapper I think). Or maybe that's why you are saying that you have to play in windowed mode without it?

Maybe just make a new video indeed? Shouldn't be too hard, and since you keep on improving your times, it's for your own good as well ;).

Hi there !

I'm still around, far from your milisecond efficiency problem ;)
I made 7hours in my first (and only) batch, with my lvl 90 (91 now) crushing blow-zealot (with no teleport), and my runs (/p1) are around 50seconds long :D
I run without my mercerary (he can't survive). I play without BO (I wear a Gimmershred on switch because of physical immune).
I should consider get a CTA on switch and try to play with my mercerary, maybe I'll be faster (even if I feel the most long part of the run is to get from game creation to the concil).

This kind of run is ok (I never ran the consil this way before), but I make it slowly, hour by hour.

I won't spoil my results so far, but I think nobody would put a dime on me (including myself :p)

@Chaostar Haha, 50 seconds sounds very reasonable for a zealot without tele/bo/merc!

Have you considered (or have you it) using Reaper's toll on merc? It will speed up killing while giving both some protection!

I'm soon reaching 9h mark. Nothing of interest have dropped lately. I won't have time for two batches, but I may start another and run whatever I can because I need some runes :p

Haven't been able to push it below 22s, as I thought. I knew my map wasn't perfect to begin with as I have to tele to the left side of the councils. Scattering isn't huge problem, but I find myself time after time with only one (Geleb Flamebringer) left. Does Blizzard have issues hitting monsters at certain spots, namely just besides the wall? Geleb seems to spawn righ at the wall, actually next to one of the pillars. I find it suspicious that it's Geleb only left all the time, and blindspots and Blizzard feels like ringing a bell to me, I think I've read about them, something maybe PvP related with another player camping besides Moor walls or something...

Not complaining much, I'm fine with 22,x seconds, but I'm definitely going to re-roll this map once the round is done :)

@Chaostar Haha, 50 seconds sounds very reasonable for a zealot without tele/bo/merc!

Have you considered (or have you it) using Reaper's toll on merc? It will speed up killing while giving both some protection!

Yes, thanks, I should consider this... For protection, I'm really safe without him, but I should try for speed up my runs... And also respec just for the tourney and invest into vigor. I'll try this on 10 runs and see how it goes.

Also that telestaff (a set one, name escapes me) on switch helps to bring him to the councils when you're one tele away from them. Or short visit downt to the Durance and back and you have your merc and Decrepify from Reaper's around.

Here is 4min demonstration what sub 17s Travrunning looks like. To be precise it is 16.9s. I don't think there is much left to improve except maybe ignoring MF and going for full damage build, but that seems less desirable to me. I'm quite happy with 200 MF I currently use.

@Grape Funny you should mention those blind spots. More and more I have the impression that's my problem as well. I mean, when Blizzard hits enemies, they go down fast, even though I 'only' have some 7400 - 7700 Blizzard damage. I bet even decreasing that amount of damage wouldn't really slow down killing enemies if Blizzard hits them. But often it just doesn't do anything, and I'm down to killing them off with Ice Blast. Problem is, in my case it's not one enemy to finish off like that, but often, two or three, sometimes even four. Needless to say that seconds start counting up quickly in that case.

I watched some videos posted here again today. I saw some people not even using Static or Ice Blast. That really made me think about those blind spots as well.

@Gripphon Amazing !!! You said a few times in this thread that luck will be the most important factor in this round (and in any tournament like this probably), and that us slow people (25s and up) have almost as much chance of winning as the fast people, but really, given the amount of runes all those 22s and faster people are getting compared to us, we'll have to get really, really lucky to get in the top 8, let alone at the top spot. Although, writing this, I'm not sure how many people are in that 'us slow people' group anymore next to @Chaostar , @Neksja and me. We are the three musketeers vs the Travincal bots ;).

@Grape
Blind spots do exist, similar as with Meph case once he is against the wall, he is like twice as hard to kill with blizzard. But can't be sure when or where does that happen in Travincal, but I have a feeling it happens when something stands against the wall connecting the inner room and not near colums from the outside of balcony.

@T72on1
I still stand to my words regarding that luck comment. If this were RFO, I'd be in considerable advantage where Mal and Um runes can "eat" up Cham from a slower player. But since it is not and only top 5 runes are counting, here quality decides, not quantity, and my biggest advantage in here is pretty much quantity. I will have easier time finding top 5 10+ pointers, but if I don't find Cham and someone else does, it is likely I might not win on points. Scoring top 5 is very different beast to predict. Also 25s is NOT slow running, it is fast running. Not godly, but fast. It is above average running level considering standard so far was like 28. My biggest advantage here is not faster running, but 2 sets which will go against 1 set of plenty of players. I will simply have higher chance to score good at least once during 2 sets, that's all. As for 22s vs 25s, those running times are so much alike. I mean 13% slower running does not mean much when top 5 are counting toward final score. Given the amount of players who have like 22s running, it is very likely winner will be from that group. But you know, your chances are just fine. They will find like ~2 qualifiers more (by expectations), but will they find better qualifiers than you? Who knows!

Not sure how many qualifiers advantage do you think 22s sorcs have in comparison to 25s sorc, but expected for 22s sorc is to find ~17.3 qualifiers, and 25s sorc ~15.2. So, we talk about 2 qualifiers difference. Of those massive 17 qualifiers, only top 5 count. As you can guess, luck will pretty much decide in that comparison. They might find tons of Ists and Ums and whatever, and you might win with your Cham+Jah+ whatever combo. For 17.5s sorc it is ~21.7, so less than a 4 more than 22s sorc.

@pharphis
Try not to hit someone though.

Last edited:
@Gripphon Still it's nice to present myself as the underdog ;). So here I go again: I'm slow, I don't stand a chance, you guys get all the goodies, and I can't hear all of you fast people saying otherwise, na na na na ... :p.

Seriously though, I'm not too worried. Of course it would be nice to be in the top 8, or even at the very top. But I'm mostly after some HRs, so I can actually make some runewords I have on my mind for a while. In that respect I'd rather find 4 Bers and a Jah and place 10th than finding another 5 Ohms and finish at place 4 with it.

I'm at pretty much the same situation as @Grape . Don't see myself getting sub 22s with this map, in fact is kinda struggle to get to sub 23s. It's faster to kill the Council from their left side, but that causes some problems with the item flooding, so I sometimes have to tele right to make sure I don't miss anything, and that just isn't a great thing with Sorc. It's also a bit dangerous. If I'm going to do second set, I'm probably rolling maps yet again.

And there are definitely places where the Blizzard doesn't hit enemies, mainly when they're hugging the wall/pillars. Happens to me from time to time, that the Council member gets to a spot right next to pillars where Blizzard just doesn't hit him, even when dropped right in top of him. I have to teleport quite precisely to prevent him moving to that spot, and it's a pain in the backside.

One thing that maybe slows me down is the time it takes me to load a save (the time between clicking HELL and being able to move in-game). Comparing to videos made by others, it takes me ~2 seconds more to enter the game. But that is a thing I've been aware for a long time and have been unable to fix. I think is just because I'm playing on old computer with slow hard-drive. Re-install might help, but I'm not gonna worry about it now. It's just slightly frustrating when I'm trying to squeeze as much extra time as possible.

But anyway, I'm still having pretty good time. I'm at a halfway point and things are going pretty much as expected, although I managed to die twice with the Sorc. One was just good old teleport right in the middle of the pack, the other was a bit alarming mouse defunction, where mouse stopped working mid-run and I didn't have the sense to press esc in time. Doesn't really matter though, it's unlikely I could bring the sorc to 97 anyway.

Barbarian continues to be fun. I'm splitting my time 2/3 Sorc, 1/3 Barb, that seems to be a nice balance.

Here are some more interesting finds from along the way:
Code:
Entrapping Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0x6d0c76b1
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+1 to Trap Skills (Assassin Only)
+13 to Life

Serpent's Grand Charm of Inertia
Grand Charm
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0x23af6139
Unidentified
+7% Faster Run/Walk
+57 to Mana

Steel Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0xeb4e42d5
+131 to Attack Rating
+9 to Life

Amber Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x1ef5d6c7
Unidentified
+10 to Life
Lightning Resist +10%

Fine Small Charm of Fortune
Small Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x1d378f52
Unidentified
+3 to Maximum Damage
+10 to Attack Rating
4% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Cobalt Small Charm of Greed
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0xfc454eb
Unidentified
Cold Resist +8%
9% Extra Gold from Monsters

Ocher Small Charm of Fortune
Small Charm
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0x2ec77c33
Unidentified
Lightning Resist +7%
4% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Required Level: 49
Fingerprint: 0x49f0068a
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 23 Venom when you Level-Up
Adds 37 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
-5% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+3% to Poison Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xabc8de65
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 23 Venom when you Level-Up
Adds 37 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
-5% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+4% to Poison Skill Damage

Rainbow Facet
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x11a35ab
Unidentified
100% Chance to cast level 29 Blaze when you Level-Up
Adds 17 - 45 Fire Damage
-4% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+4% to Fire Skill Damage

Ruby Jewel of Freedom
Jewel
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x820dccfb
Unidentified
34% Enhanced Damage
Requirements -15%

Ruby Jewel of Daring
Jewel
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x9ba3b3aa
Unidentified
33% Enhanced Damage
+8 to Dexterity

Raven Talisman
Jewel
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xe489d625
Unidentified
23% Enhanced Damage
+8 to Strength
Requirements -15%

Camphor Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0xb6a4102f
Unidentified
+15% Increased Attack Speed
Lightning Resist +9%

Cinnabar Jewel of Fervor
Jewel
Required Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0xb928b96a
Unidentified
+15% Increased Attack Speed
5% Enhanced Damage

Harlequin Crest
Shako
Defense: 120
Durability: 10 of 12
Required Level: 62
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0x10e50540
Unidentified
+2 to All Skills
All Stats +2
+112 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+112 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Damage Reduced by 10%
50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Head Hunter's Glory
Troll Nest
Defense: 581
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 54 of 74
Required Level: 75
Required Strength: 106
Fingerprint: 0x84ad3e76
Unidentified
+413 Defense
+340 Defense vs. Missile
Fire Resist +23%
Poison Resist +35%
+6 Life after each Kill 2 Sockets (0 used)

The Gladiator's Bane
Wire Fleece
Defense: 1385
Durability: 27 of 135
Required Level: 85
Required Strength: 111
Fingerprint: 0x5886d31d
Unidentified
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+177% Enhanced Defense
+50 Defense
Damage Reduced by 18
Magic Damage Reduced by 18
Cannot Be Frozen
Poison Length Reduced by 50%
Attacker Takes Damage of 20
+103 Maximum Durability

Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 159
Durability: 18 of 34
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 94
Fingerprint: 0x4ac5ab8c
Unidentified
+30% Faster Run/Walk
15% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike
10% Chance of Open Wounds
+195% Enhanced Defense
+20 Maximum Stamina
Requirements -25%
+10 Maximum Durability

Boneshade
Lich Wand
One Hand Damage: 10 - 31
Durability: 11 of 17
Required Level: 79
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xf80ebca5
Unidentified
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
+25% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to Bone Spirit (Necromancer Only)
+3 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
+2 to Bone Wall (Necromancer Only)
+4 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
+5 to Teeth (Necromancer Only)

Rune Master
Ettin Axe
One Hand Damage: 107 - 215
Durability: 21 of 24
Required Level: 72
Required Strength: 145
Required Dexterity: 45
Fingerprint: 0x517997f
227% Enhanced Damage
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
Cannot Be Frozen 5 Sockets (0 used)

Suicide Branch
Burnt Wand
One Hand Damage: 8 - 18
Durability: 7 of 15
Required Level: 33
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xd0933125
Unidentified
+1 to All Skills
+50% Faster Cast Rate
+40 to Life
Increase Maximum Mana 10%
All Resistances +10
Attacker Takes Damage of 25

Felloak
Club
One Hand Damage: 1 - 10
Durability: 20 of 24
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xc4d8e3d6
Unidentified
76% Enhanced Damage
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 6 - 8 Fire Damage
Knockback
Lightning Resist +60%
Fire Resist +20%

Infernal Cranium
Cap
Defense: 5
Durability: 7 of 12
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x8c0a185
Unidentified
All Resistances +10
20% Damage Taken Goes To Mana Set (2 items): +150 Defense (Based on Character Level)

Infernal Cranium
Cap
Defense: 5
Durability: 10 of 12
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x8a5e0da4
Unidentified
All Resistances +10
20% Damage Taken Goes To Mana Set (2 items): +150 Defense (Based on Character Level)

@Gripphon Amazing stuff. Also, a map just doesn't get much better from that.

@pharphis I hear you, loud and clear.

As for loading times, playing window mode and not using glide wrapper did it to me, loading times dropped rapidly to this godly level shown on video. So who knows, might work for someone else as well. Also, thanks guys. :)

@T72on1
Actually having fun is the most important thing :D
I have most fun trying to improve, so fair to say can't wait for cows to test some characters out and different player setting and some upgrades I thought of etc. Will be massive fun for me.

@T72on1 I am definetly part of that slow squad. I am at the halfway point and did the first half with WW Barb. If I really concentrate I can get sub 40sec runs, but with somewhat loose play, cubing up gems and picking up almost everything shiny my runs average about 50sec... :confused:

@Gripphon your video and earlier comments in this thread inspired me to try sorc for the second half of my set, but oh boy am I slow. An avearage run is about 30sec, damage is sitting at about 6k, since I only own 1 skiller, no Death Fathom, no Nightwings, and no CoH :(, but still it is fun! I blame it on still being in the ww barb groove and trying to spam hork... Considering all these things it is shocking that my undergeared sorc appears to be more efficient than my well geared barb :eek:

12 hr a day of intense screen staring and mouse clicking for work is making me less capable of 20 hr of intense screen staring and mouse clicking for RFL.
:(

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High