Prevent Monster Heal

Pierre Tombale Couant - Partizan
Damage: 104-224
Slow attack speed
30% faster hit recovery
Adds 12-20 damage
+127 attack rating
55% deadly strike

I'm leaning towards the Impaler due to ITD, PMH and the speed. Low damage though. I have two Impalers bwt. if someone should be interested :)

Hi there.

I would go for the partizan for the damage and deadly strike. However, you might try to experiment and try each weapon on your merc and observe how merc functions. If you gauge that Impaler makes more kills in less time than Pierre, go for the Impaler. If not, go for Pierre.

Just my two cents... ^_^

Weapon

If u can only choose between these two then take the Partizan. The extra damage will come in handy and open wounds is overrated. If you have a choice then go for something with Life Leech cos it will keep the merc alive much longer.

Pierre

Go the Pierre. My nm might merc used to use it and it was great but as he got higher in levels I got him a Bonehew Ogre Axe and socketed it with Amn rune for life leech. Now he does over 3k damage which is not too bad :)
Good luck

Yes, imo the best merc weapon would be a bonehew socketed with whatever you like. It helps against PI's too with the level 16 pone spear, so u spend less time with your bowazon on those annoying PI's :thumbsup:

That Bone Spear does almost enough damage to nullify the life the monster regenerated in the past 1/8 second. Almost. However, I'll give it credit in the fact that giant flashes of magical destruction flying from the end of your mercenary's weapon almost every swing do look pretty cool.

I'd take a Tomb Reaver or Reaper's Toll over Bonehew anyday. Not to mention that, by the time he can even use the Bonehew (due to a ridiculous Str requirement) he'll be high enough level for at least Toll. A Hel Rune can fix it luckily, but that does only leave room for an only-average 7% Leech :(

Toll has massive Leech plus deals the most damage (of these three weapons, anyway) on average due to its 33% Deadly Strike. And then it's all spamming Decrepify everywhere, which is just extremely rocking. Build-in Cold damage ensures sloooooooow enemies (Chill plus Decrep) and it gets even worse for enemies if you're using everybody's favorite Mercenary (Act2 Defensive NM). Let your merc smack Griswold a couple times, run around the perimeter of Tristram a few times, then stop back over by Griswold to see him finishing up his swing. Oh, and it has ITD too. Most of the enemies you fight are just regular ol' enemies, so that's good right? Tomb Reaver deals basically as much damage as Toll plus has ED% to Undead. 60% IAS is wonderful. +Life after kills helps to aid those Amns that you better put into at least one of those THREE Sockets. Then you can throw in more Amns for up to 21% Life Leech, Um or Tal Runes to stop monster regeneration, Shael Runes or IAS Jewels to speed up that attack even more, even Ber/Lo if you're crazy rich and want to go crazy. Or throw 2-3 Ists in those and marvel at the fact your merc's weapon has as much or more MF% than your own.

Prevent Monster Heal doesn't work on mercenaries' equipment, for some reason. If it did, Bonehew could really be considered a "personal preference" alongside RT and TR (ahaha) as to what your merc to use. But since it doesn't, Bonehew is just a really good weapon to have on the little Arabian dude until you can get hold of one of the other two. On the other hand, it's cheap to get hold of (whereas Toll starts hitting mid-high runes in price for a good one, and Tomb Reavers can get ridiculous, especially if Eth and good stats), and an Eth Bonehew still kicks the crap out of a non-eth version of either of the other two Polearms.

As for the topic, take the Couant. That 30% FHR on the Couant should really help your Merc, too.

An interesting and colourful analysis Mr E ;) ... but I can't agree with all of it. I agree that Reaper Toll is the best Merc weapon for an Amazon and that is simply because the Decrepify aids his surviveability a benefit which the other two don't get. Here are a few additional facts and thoughts on the trade off between them.

Firstly, a Bonehew can easilly be worn by a level 64 Merc by using a Strength Armour ... (e.g. Griswold Set (20 Str) with 2 Perf Amethysts). The extra strength has a useful benefit by increasing the damage dealt.

Bonehew with 30 IAS is somewhat faster than Thresher and has 2 free sockets. A common socketing arrangement is an Amn and Shael or IAS jewel. The 50% cast Bonespear does 400 points of magic damage which hits the thing being jabbed and sometimes stuff behind and can be a useful source of additional damage against PIs.

The Reapers Toll has a 30% chance of Deadly Strike and ITD (= 95% chance to hit normal monsters of same level) but it has a lot lower average damage than the other two and the % Deadly Strike doesn't make up for that. The Decrepify could make it very damaging if the 3 weapons are considered alone but often an Amazon will have a source of AD from her bow or Atmas and that can conflict with Decrepify.

Tomb Reaver, has a level requirement of 84 and it gets 1 to 3 sockets not an automatic 3 sockets as you imply. I have never been lucky enough to own one of these :( so I don't know all the pro's and cons.

Overall for an Amazon's Merc I'd choose a Reapers Toll for the increased surviveability. But the Bonehew usualy does more damage and is useable earlier (with suitable equipment). The differences between the weapons is less than the impression you give Mr E. Nevertheless, I found what you wrote entertaining so thank you. :)

Oh, I wasn't implying that Tomb Reaver always has 3 Sockets. One with a single socket can't really compare to either though, and two is, at the least, still less than three. =[

+Str equipment, you got me there. X) I've just always stuck to the ol' Shaftstop + Vamp Gaze for my Merc's armor so that never crossed my mind. The Bone Spear really doesn't do a whole lot though. 144-152 damage (Well according to the skill calculator, that's all the damage an unsynergized Lv16 BSpear does...) is going to slow monster regeneration at best. More damage is always better though, so I'm still not complaining about it or anything. Low Level requirement lets you get it on your Merc by late NM too, which is pretty good.

Despite that lower average damage, the DS does help it out. Factoring in the fact your merc is going to hit for double damage as often as his Decrep fires off, the average total damage from your Merc is actually slightly higher than both Bonehew and Reaver. Decrep is just brilliant though. :( Yeah, it can conflict with AD if you're going WWS or Atma's, but does that really matter? Decrep slows and weakens, plus you get some added damage anyway (not as much as AD, but still). The only time the confliction may be an issue is against Stone Skin monsters that AD can break the PI of and Decrep can't. It's the slowest in the bunch, but the enemies are attacking far, far slower as well. Even then it's barely slower than Bonehew.

A Bonehew socketed with 2x Amn still has less Leech than a 15% Toll AND will be slower if if use Toll's Socket for a Shael/IAS Jewel. That's not including the fact that Toll and Bonehew deal rather similar damage, not to mention the near-constant Decrepify will increase damage furthermore PLUS allow your merc to survive longer by weakening and slowing enemies. Overwriting Curses isn't really an issue since Decrep should be equally desireable as AD in almost all circumstances, perhaps even moreso. (This isn't the Necro forum, after all.) You could stick IAS into those Bonehew sockets to give a good speed advantage over the Toll, but then you're giving up your Leech and that won't help your Merc's survivability no matter how fast he attacks. =\

Bonehew is cool. Your Merc can use it before any of the others due to a low Level Req (get some +Str Gear [Andy's would be 8) ] or throw in a Hel) and by the time you hit Mid-60's the huge damage boost over whatever your merc was using before is just great. No wasting a Larzuk socketing quest either since the Sockets come built-in. But Toll is as good as Bonehew (or close enough) in the same areas as it is and has the added benefit of other things that Bonehew simply can't do (Decrep, for one). Your Merc won't need any Str-boosting items to equip it, either. :( Bonehew is good, but Toll is just a wee bit better.

Even if you feel I overstated myself there... Tomb Reaver deals comparable damage to Bonehew, has far more IAS, and can come ready with as many or even more sockets. Even ignoring Tomb Reaver's other perks, it should be more undisputed than Toll that it's a better weapon than Bonehew is. Level Req or the huge expense gap may prevent your Merc in particular from using it, but either way Bonehew isn't on the top of the Three Amigos list (Bonehew, Reaper's Toll, Tomb Reaver) when it comes to Merc weapons.

Onyl have 1 char in new ladder, I gave him an upgraded Woestave with Amn socketed. Very party-friendly ;)

I think we are in agreement Mr E :lol: My Necros prefer the Bonehew for their merc since they get a bit more damage over time and can use the curse of choice. Other characters Amazons, Druids, Barbars et al, compete for the rarer Reaper Toll for it's obvious benefits. I tend to have too many Bonehews and not enough Reapers Tolls.

On Leech, I usually equip my merc with a Tal Rashas mask (fairly common) and they give good leech, life and 15% resist all... the near perfect compliment for a Bonehew or a Reaper Toll. For Bosses I equip a Guilliames mask for the crushing blow and Baal etc. doesn't hang around long then.

On the L16 Bone Spear you are right ... sorry for introducing spurious information. Arreat Summit says it does 154-162 which is nice but not much in Hell. Incidently, my Bowazons always have one small charm giving 100 poison damage over 6 secs to halt the regeneration of tough monsters in Hell... so that small magic damage is all good, assuming I get at least one hit on the monster occasionally ;)

other choices

If you had the runes to spare, you could upgrade the Impaler to a more powerful weapon that hits quite often with it's Very Fast 20% ias and ITD. Throw in new damage of 93-316, no monster healing, and open wounds....and you have a deadly merc. I have upgraded one for a merc and it is highly effective in Hell.

On another merc I have the Kelpie Snare, Blackhorns face, and Toothrow. The weapon and mask combine for 95% monster slow (including bosses) and the armor opens wounds on everybody. Those monsters have no chance, as they can hardly move with all the slowing! This build is just entering Hell, and I will probably upgrade the Kelpie in spite of its already good base damage.

Obviously I like to experiment when it comes to arming a merc. I hate cookie cutter builds on anything. Neither build is great against PI, but that is where I step in and lay the smack down.

Whatever works, have fun. :buddies:

thanks, is there a strong trading economy still ? where do single players go to trade items?open b net? id love to be able to trade for good 4 socc bows and for a nef rune

You can always create a profile on the Single Player Trading Forum: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/forums/single-player.100/

Please note that Open B.net is full of dupes and hacks, and going there can have negative repercussions on trading on our forums. Also, I'd be happy to donate a Nef to you, and I can take a look for any decent bows. What level is your 'Zon? She's HC, right?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High