2016 Summer MFO Sign-Up and Running Thread

Currently playing through act 5 NM with a singer barbarian that I will have pits-ready for the MFO. Pretty rubbish gear still but hopefully I'll stand a chance.

Trying to add myself into the table, but i have no idea how to have my trader profile linked properly like everyone elses.
I looked around but couldn't find a guide on how to do all the useful forum stuff like tables and links and properly embedded images, is there a resource around out there to help me brush up on this kind of stuff?

That's clear, thanks. Sounds cool, especially in a team with someone like @Grape . So yeah, I'm in for that. If I can cope with the stress of knowing that I'm not even close to his mf skills ...

Btw, would that make us 72GrapesOn1?

Hey I'm in for the team! If you can handle the huge pressure that is :p I'm probably mostly running baal, so getting third team member could be good idea. Anyone running alvl85 want to join the winning team?

I would sign up if I was confident I could win, in order to lay claim to pharsword when phar inevitably finds it during this MFO. Alas I do not have the time to commit to such a competition.

If you had enough time to log in to the forums, I'm sure you can make few runs to find Tyrael's and then little more. Just imagine the situation, winning phar by finding Tmight and then stealing his pharsword.

Currently playing through act 5 NM with a singer barbarian that I will have pits-ready for the MFO. Pretty rubbish gear still but hopefully I'll stand a chance.

Trying to add myself into the table, but i have no idea how to have my trader profile linked properly like everyone elses.
I looked around but couldn't find a guide on how to do all the useful forum stuff like tables and links and properly embedded images, is there a resource around out there to help me brush up on this kind of stuff?

To link to your trade profile, just highlight the letters you want to be shown as the link, then press the seventh symbol from left, next to the font editing stuff. That's a linking tool. It opens a line where you copy paste the address to your profile :)

@Grape Cool !!! I hope someone else will join to run alvl 85. I wouldn't mind changing to alvl 85 myself if someone prefers to do Pindle+ btw. Do we have to be with 3 people, or can either of us do 2 categories?

Btw, going through my GoMule stash yesterday, I did realize I still lack a few items to seriously increase my mf%. Most notably Gull or Ali Baba on switch and a good armor, probably Skullder's Ire or Enigma. I probably should hit up Mephisto, as I still want that Arachnid's as well. I also lack a good amulet. And maybe I should make a Harmony in something like a Long Bow to run through town faster.

Thinking about it, what's the most efficient way to run Pindle? Faster casting gear on one switch and mf gear like Gull/Ali Baba and Rhyme Shield on the other? Or Harmony on one switch and mf gear on the other? Everything towards mf%, or is some 400% mf enough?

@Malevolent I thought there was indeed a guide for that, but I can't seem to find it right now. Grape covered you on adding links though. Adding a table is a matter of quoting the last post with the table you want in it, then remove all content except for the table (the stuff that's between the 'code' brackets) and add what you want to add.

Good luck with your Singer Barb !!!

Please note your version/mod status.

-------------------
Baal
-------------------
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
Pb_pal [1.13d SC FAM]
Friiser [1.14d SC FAM]
NanoMist [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Level 85 Areas
-------------------

[Pharphis - HC - 1.07 - 1.13d]
[XyleneCyanol - HC - RWM - 1.14d]
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
[Malevolent - HC - 1.14d - FAM]

-------------------
Pindle+
-------------------

[TheNix - SC - FAM - 1.07 - 1.13d]
[XyleneCyanol - HC - RWM - 1.14d]
T72on1 [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Teams
-------------------

--------------------
Availible for teams
--------------------
Grape [1.13d SC FAM]
T72on1 [1.14d SC FAM]

Lets goooo, playing through as much of hell as i can tonight, hopefully i don't die because I wont be playing sober. 3k life already compared to the 700 i had on my necro before i killed him is a really nice change though!

Thinking about it, what's the most efficient way to run Pindle? Faster casting gear on one switch and mf gear like Gull/Ali Baba and Rhyme Shield on the other? Or Harmony on one switch and mf gear on the other? Everything towards mf%, or is some 400% mf enough?
Personally, for Pindle I either have a teleport/hork switch (for barbs) or CtA switch. If I didn't have/felt I didn't need CtA, then I'd use Harmony. I've always found kill switches clunky and impractical and only really of use in multiplayer games and even then they have issues.

As for how much to gear for MF: pretty much always killing faster is better than packing on more magic find, so make sure you don't neuter your damage too much. It's been awhile since I did p1 Pindle runs, but I'm assuming 20 seconds is a completely reasonable average time to aim for, though faster should definitely be possible, as a mark to keep in mind and sort of use to balance MF vs damage. I'm assuming you're running a Blizzard Sorceress so, if you'd like, you can take a look at this video that I did for the Zodathon. It's at p7 but the gear listed is what I would run in the MFO almost certainly anyway. (I still think there's some testing worth doing in the neighborhood of having a good rare or crafted amulet (2 sorc/8+fcr/hopefully MF) then maybe swapping in that, Enigma and Goldwrap for the FRW, but it still comes at a cost and I think that's beyond the budget you're looking at right now besides.)

As far as the switch goes, I want CtA because extended Pindle running is an extremely mindless and repetitive task and mistakes are basically guaranteed, so I think the extra life buffer is more valuable than Harmony's move speed over the course of a long competition, but I can see valid arguments for eschewing CtA.

Thanks maareek, very useful reply. What I forgot to add to my question, is that I don't plan to use CtA. Basically my reasoning is that for Pindle you don't need the extra health, nor very good resists for that matter. Your reasoning why you actually would use CtA sounds very valid though, so I hope I don't make a mistake there.

I agree that killing faster is very important for mf'ing. However (again my reasoning, so it might be wrong, but this time also based on some test runs), Pindle on /p1 dies very fast to Blizzard, so I won't need much in terms of offensive power, and I'll most likely be able to shift the focus from my current, damage orientated setup, to more mf.

During those test runs I averaged some 21 seconds iirc. That's with only 25% frw from my War Travelers though, which I should be able to improve upon quite easily. I usually agree with you on using a kill switch and mf switch, and wouldn't use it in for example AT. But for bosses like Pindle and Meph I use it most of the time. Just teleport in and then switch to the mf switch, because the boss dies really fast. Certainly Pindle, Meph a little less so.

Enigma would probably be my best bet for now, with both huge frw and mf. So I guess I'll just keep running CS and hope for the runes to drop. It's been quite a while since I found a HR actually, so maybe they'll drop soon. If a Jah drops first, I can always hit LK again for that Ber.

For a budget setup, I'd use both CTA and harmony switch when CtA is main killing weapon and battle orders buff stick at the same time and bow is on switch to run faster in town. Note that when you run Pindle, fcr is not really important and you can easily get 63 breakpoint. I even use 63 in AT. 33+ fcr spirit, 3 part Tal Rasha's (armor, belt, amulet) and then you need 10 fcr more somewhere. Random 10 fcr ring should do it. You can do something like:

Ptopaz/Ist Shako
3 part Tal Rasha (armor with topaz/Ist, belt and amulet)
CtA
33+ FCR Spirit
Nagelring
fcr ring with adds
Chance Guards
War Traveler

Switch:
Harmony Bow

Inventory:
Gheed and mf small charms or whatever you have

Merc:
Insight is strongest weapon to have on him, rest is up to you. Andy Visage is good choice for helm.

For HC I'd use 1 point ES in skills to buff it as you run through town, it will be enough to protect you from anything really. p1 Pindle won't touch you unless you tele into him directly.
1 point static field, 1 warmth, max blizzard and synergies, rest into cold mastery

You can end up with 3800 blizzard damage (p1 Pindle has 13-16k hp and 50% coldres, meaning he will drop like a fly from 2 blizzard hits +1 glacial spike unless immune)
~450 MF without any small charm in inventory, so pump it up to your liking. You can even use lifers or skillers if you like, though not needed. With say average 5mf on charms you can have total of ~620+ MF (if cube in inventory to pick up stuff)

Normally, there are better gear options, this is just budget idea of a sorc where getting Tal armor is the only problematic part. Oh yes, and you don't have to waste time by casting battle command. Not needed. Yes, it will boost your battle orders by 3% and some damage and blabla, but it is better to just cast BO and go kill Pindle. Simplicity etc.

Everyone competes for second place because the As of Yet Unnamed Team is guaranteed first.

I may be a bit rusty on the rules, but doesn't a team have to enter in order to be able to win it?

In general: Did i miss something? Did the latest patch provide a significant increase in Baal drops? Can't remember Baal ever being so popular.

I may be a bit rusty on the rules, but doesn't a team have to enter in order to be able to win it?

In general: Did i miss something? Did the latest patch provide a significant increase in Baal drops? Can't remember Baal ever being so popular.

Showing up fashionably late is the only acceptable method of arrival.

Also, as far as Baal, I think it has to do with the popularity of the untwinked 99 thread, so a lot of people are pushing for EXP. Otherwise no one should punish themselves to the soul crushing errand of running Baal for an MFO. Or maybe Baal started taking his anti depressants and is in a much better mood than normal these days. It's a toss up really.

Well, this sucks, really wanted to participate in this one, but I'm away from my computer that week. Good luck to everyone!

@Grape Cool !!! I hope someone else will join to run alvl 85. I wouldn't mind changing to alvl 85 myself if someone prefers to do Pindle+ btw. Do we have to be with 3 people, or can either of us do 2 categories?

I think we are fine as long as either of us covers two categories. But I'm not 100% sure. Can someone shed some light about this?

In any case, third member for the team would be cool!!

@Gripphon Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis ... but ... Since I have only started this Sorc quite recently and her main aim is to get to 99, she lacks quite some items. No 3pc Tal's for example, as she has not found the armor or amulet yet. Also, no socketing, as I want to keep my socket quests for my endgame gear, which I haven't found yet.

So assuming Harmony on switch and aiming for the 63% fcr breakpoint, I see these 2 setups as possible options (variable mf% values between brackets, but from memory, I don't have access to my GoMule stash right now):

Setup 1:

Shako
Skin of the Vipermagi
CtA / Spirit
Goldwrap
Chance Guards (40%)
War Traveler (45%)
Dual Nagelring (25%/25%)
Amulet: not sure, but should get me some 20% mf I guess)
Gheeds (38%)

Setup 2:

Shako
4os Body Armor with 4 perfect topazes
HotO / Splendor
Goldwrap
Chance Guards (40%)
War Traveler (45%)
Dual Nagelring (25%/25%)
Amulet: crafted with 13+ fcr, probably some 10% mf as well
Gheeds (38%)

Setup 1 gives me 283 - 303% mf, with a range from 0 - 20% mf on the amulet, but 20% should be possible
Setup 2 gives me 369 - 379% mf, with a range from 0 - 10% mf on the amulet, not sure if I have one with mf% though

The second setup is definitely the winner in terms of mf%, but has less life, less resists (except for fire), less fhr and less flexibility in the amulet slot. So considering the fact that I can add quite some mf through small mf charms, the difference in effective mf% won't be so big, and I'm inclined to go with setup 1. I don't have that many small mf charms actually, but even then I should be able to get in the 400 - 450% range.

Of course, that is with my current gear. There is still some time left, so hopefully I'll still manage to improve my gear. The question is if I'll just continue running CS and hope to get some good drops at the same time (Jah and Ber for Enigma would be absolutely the best, other than that mainly Tal's armor and amulet I guess) or if I'll change targets to specifically hunt for certain items, like doing Mephisto for Skullder's Ire, Ali Baba or Arachnid's (which isn't mf specific in se, but opens up a lot of other combo's due to the fcr on it).

Another option of course is to try and level up a new Sorc in HC, where I do have items like Skullder's, Ali Baba, Gull, and the option to socket gear. But I'm not really keen on that one myself, as it would be a rush job and HC characters obviously can die, which would quite ruin the mfo for me ...

But I'll stop my ramblings here. I guess I mainly want to order my thoughts on the matter by writing it down. Suggestions are still welcome of course ...

@Grape I agree. Having a third person in our team would definitely be awesome.

Why Pindle anyway? Pindle sorc will never be able to come close to what AT sorc can do in terms of farming. With little practice you can easily outplay Pindle with AT sorc. Also setup 1 >>> setup 2 for Pindle for simple fact that on setup 2 you don't have CtA or harmony.

EDIT: okay, maybe if you don't wanna have risk of death, Pindle could be safer bet. But with 1 pt ES I think you can reasonably comfortably run AT without real risk of death.

Last edited:
Probably true. But I've spent so much time in AT over the last few months and never really farmed Pindle, at least not decently, so I want to give Pindle a shot. Alvl 85 is more efficient than Baal too for example, still people will be running Baal as well in the MFO.

If I get anything good for my Sorc out of these runs (ideally Griffon's and / or Death's Fathom) that's really nice. But it's not a must for me. The MFO is just meant to be a change of pace.

I haven't played in AT very often, and in my 1.14 Sorc, I don't have as good gear as my 1.13 sorc.

Currently, 3.5 - 3.8k blizzard damage, no Infinity.

What is a the reasonable run time to aim for?

Sub 45 seconds is good target to aim I'd say. In the end it depends on how many bosses and how much stuff you pick up. Also it seems to me that Insight>Infinity for that sorc. Merc will kill those cold immunes fast if Insight is in elite eth base.

Play a few maps that feel fluid enough (not too much backtracking or anything) and get used to monster spawns. I'd say you can easily get under 1 min on any map (even crappy ones) with some practice. Once you're more comfortable with the fast-based play, I would try to find a good map for prolonged use. I think grip's suggestion is reasonable for an approximate time to aim for when you've settled in. Of course, the most important thing is bosspacks/second

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High