Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Y'all know about refraction of light (through a prism) into rainbows right? Well today I got a 0.1 x 0.3 mm rainbow from one of my single crystals :D

The crystal is 0.3 x 0.9 mm (0.2 mm is the depth). It is a compound made from Ytterbium. The scale shown is off by a factor of 2 (stupid microscope). Also, the picture was taken by a friend through the microscope lens with her iphone lel

Today I was preparing a similar thing (same compound except switch Ytterbium for Thulium) and I managed to get what i think is a blending of two rainbows, because I got a line of pink! No pic, yet

Very cool! Was it just a single band of pink? The only way I can think of to achieve that is to have two rainbows mix their full spectra together, but have an overabundance of red somehow. Or maybe they just didn't quite superimpose (in opposite orientations), and then the red and violet could mix to form pink.

Either way, get pix plz.

Very cool! Was it just a single band of pink? The only way I can think of to achieve that is to have two rainbows mix their full spectra together, but have an overabundance of red somehow. Or maybe they just didn't quite superimpose (in opposite orientations), and then the red and violet could mix to form pink.

Either way, get pix plz.
I didn't get a picture of the one I initially wanted, but I got some more pics from a different crystal. The light comes from one crystal, though you can see another 1-2 large crystals that grew into this one. Tomorrow I plan to set up the microscope camera software on my laptop to see if I can get some better quality pictures since I'll be dealing with another similar vial of crystals (same compound, but with Erbium instead).

I also have 2 light sources so I might try to get multiple rainbows heh

I like especially the sky-blue like color over there, azure. Which reminds me that _crystal_ sword is a normal version of a phase blade.

If I recall correctly, pink is the result of the brain mish-mashing wavelengths above ultraviolet and below infrared (beyond the visible spectrum). Imaginary colors--to us.

If I recall correctly, pink is the result of the brain mish-mashing wavelengths above ultraviolet and below infrared (beyond the visible spectrum). Imaginary colors--to us.

Yeah, it's not a "true" colour per se. I didn't know about it coming from a blending of the ultra and infra wavelengths though, that would make sense here and is also pretty damn cool.

I've finally got my first group of students through both the maths and chemistry units, some needing a lot more help than others. I've got a few weeks off before I have to start it all over again but this time with biochemistry as well.

Can you imagine if crystals were real, like Bigfoot?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maybe if there were more alcoholic beverages in here then this science talk would become interesting. But I'm skeptical about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High