The Build Your Own Tournament!

@kestegs
Good luck!
If it is allowed in the tournament, I recommend liberal cloaking in as many situations as you can afford. Hope you find an Um rune or something equally useful to socket with.

@Dazliare
Freeze them with ice arrow and then set them on fire...it's so evil... Immolation Arrow rocks, go for it! Also, the constant fire prevents healing which is a nice bonus.

Character: Navatara
Lv: 47 (Holy Shock Paladin)
Zone: Lut Gholein
TOURNAMENT: THE SWORD OF DESTINY

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny: The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

9) All charms are permitted.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

11) No gambling. Heroes of Destiny do not find their gear by gambling.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:
No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. No dual wielding.

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.
Act 4:
I finally got Diablo down. That was awesome.

I ran the chaos sanctuary twice on p5, and picked up a new breast plate with 14% fire resist and 10% fhr, as well as a nice pair of heavy gloves with 29% cold resist /6% lightning resist/14% chance to cast charged bolt when hit, and an awesome new amulet with 46 life/39% fire resist/+1 max damage/+10 attack rating.

With that stuff, my resists became really nice on everything but lightning which is still around 10%.

I was going to run the sanctuary a bit more until I got a second ring, but it happened to have a lightning resist shrine in it the second time, which was too good to be true.

I knocked the settings down to p1, hit the shrine to get lightning resist of ~82%, and and was able to go at diablo with holy shock on instead of salvation. The difference is huge, as zeal only gives me ~60-100 per hit, but with holy shock on I get ~60-1200. I was lv 34 when I took him down. He dropped some stuff, but nothing I could really use other than a great helm with some poor stats. There was a decent dagger I'll throw at my passive amazon. I'm just happy to have him out of my way though.

On to Act 5!

Act 5:
Act five went fast. I ran it all on p7 until Baal, where I dropped it to p3 just to be safe. I didn't pick up any items on my way to him, but he dropped some stuff.

His coolest drop was a circlet with 14 resist all/+8 max damage/damage reduced by five. He also dropped a Halberd I tossed on my merc, and a giant sword that's probably just a tiny bit better than my flamberge. I'm going to keep using my weapon though I think, because i could use the attack rating on it at the moment.

Let's see if we can get through NM next.

Act 1: (NM)
I didn't really get anything in Act 1. Even Andariel only dropped a single rare kite shield. The overall lack of drops is my fault though, I played most of the Act on p1 because having negative lightning and poison resists scared me. Even on p1 those tainted hit you hard with negative resists.

A really cool unique ghost armor did drop (The Spirit Shroud, +1 all skills, 150% enhanced defense, magic damage reduce by 11, replenish life +10, and cannot be frozen), but I can't use it here.

The highlight of the act is that I finally got crafting. I made a belt to replace the old one I'd been using since like... act one normal. The crafted one had 5% poison res, 14% lightning re, damage/magic damage reduced by a bit, and some extra defense. The biggest upgrade was that I went from two rows of potions to four though.

I also crafted a ring to try and replace the awful one Ormus gave me, but mine turned out almost identical (although at least it reduces damage/magic damage by 2 now).

My other ring slot had gone empty through all of normal, but I got a rare to put in there when I rescued Cain. It had 14% Lightning Resist and 9% Fire Resist.

I did Andariel at lv47. I was a bit worried, because I had those negative poison resists. I brought some antidotes with me though, and am sure that helped. It all worked out in the end.

On to Act 2!

Last edited:
Nice progress, everyone! If everyone could post a brief synopsis of their rules at the beginning of their posts that would be good, as it's hard to remember sometimes. You could just keep it in a text document in your desktop and copy and paste it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea, kestegs :).

Also, didn't the op mention there would be a table of some sort to show progression of all players?

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny: The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.

The duo took Duriel on at /p8 as a test of fortitude. Wasn't too intense with Concentrate, as he really only stunned Kristberg once during the battle that I can recall. He mainly focused on Leharas for some reason, perhaps the healing aura who knows? All of Kristberg's equipment is rare at this point except for his missing amulet and his 3-socketed Claymore. Little slower than the socketed, double-handed sword he was using in act 1, but it definitely packs a bigger punch when he scores a Critical Hit with Concentrate at slvl 5. Found a Cathan's ring and Hsarus' Iron Stay belt, but everything else has been rare to white with such low MF and no gambling allowed to score some higher MF items.
Name: Kristberg
Class: Barbarian
Experience: 2345593
Level: 26

Naked/Gear
Strength: 80/81
Dexterity: 52/54
Vitality: 68/68
Energy: 10/12
HP: 277/284
Mana: 35/45
Stamina: 160/184
Defense: 13/160
AR: 245/311

Fire: 27/-13/-73
Cold: 8/-32/-92
Lightning: 34/-6/-66
Poison: 18/-22/-82

MF: 51 Block: 18
GF: 0
FR/W: 0
FHR: 40
IAS: 0
FCR: 0

Bash: 1/1
Leap: 1/1
Double Swing: 0/0
Stun: 1/1
Double Throw: 0/0
Leap Attack: 1/1
Concentrate: 5/5
Frenzy: 0/0
Whirlwind: 0/0
Berserk: 0/0

Sword Mastery: 17/17
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 0/0
Pole Arm Mastery: 0/0
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 0/0
Iron Skin: 1/1
Increased Speed: 0/0
Natural Resistance: 0/0

Howl: 0/0
Find Potion: 0/0
Taunt: 0/0
Shout: 0/0
Find Item: 0/2
Battle Cry: 0/0
Battle Orders: 0/0
Grim Ward: 0/0
War Cry: 0/0
Battle Command: 0/0

Rugged Small Charm of Flame
Small Charm
Required Level: 8
Fingerprint: 0xcfc59594
Item Level: 14
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Adds 1 - 2 Fire Damage
+6 Maximum Stamina

Foul Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0xc7c53991
Item Level: 12
Adds 15 Poison Damage Over 4 Secs (100 Frames)

Small Charm of Frost
Small Charm
Required Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0xcd361112
Item Level: 17
Adds 1 - 2 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)

Small Charm of Blight
Small Charm
Required Level: 6
Fingerprint: 0x2eb082f1
Item Level: 16
Adds 6 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)

Small Charm of Blight
Small Charm
Required Level: 6
Fingerprint: 0x29655e0b
Item Level: 5
Adds 6 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)

Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xe4f1f5a8
Adds 1 - 4 Lightning Damage

Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x9c49f91b
Item Level: 6
Adds 1 - 4 Lightning Damage

Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xfb37e70b
Item Level: 19
+1 to Dexterity

Blood Shell
Fanged Helm
Defense: 26
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 12
Required Strength: 35
Fingerprint: 0x34de964b
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+15 to Attack Rating
+2 to Find Item (Barbarian Only)
+27% Enhanced Defense
+7 to Life
Lightning Resist +15%
Fire Resist +19%
+1 to Light Radius

Hailstone Flange
Chain Mail
Defense: 94
Durability: 44 of 45
Required Level: 3
Required Strength: 48
Fingerprint: 0x9d799908
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+24% Enhanced Defense
+5 to Mana
Poison Resist +5%

Wraith Grip
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x5129d69d
+20 to Attack Rating
+1 to Dexterity
+18 Maximum Stamina
Damage Reduced by 1
18% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Order Hold
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x6d336e3a
+10 to Attack Rating
+2 to Energy
Cold Resist +8%
Lightning Resist +10%
Poison Length Reduced by 25%
8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Rune Strap
Belt
Defense: 7
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xcfcc1c8c
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+23% Enhanced Defense
+5 to Mana
Poison Resist +7%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1

Fiend Spur
Chain Boots
Defense: 12
Durability: 48 of 48
Required Strength: 30
Fingerprint: 0x8c1d5fc5
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+22% Enhanced Defense
Poison Resist +6%
+1 to Light Radius

Horadric Cube
Fingerprint: 0xc8c25025
Item Level: 13

Corpse Claw
Chain Gloves
Defense: 8
Durability: 8 of 16
Fingerprint: 0x5f9e1d86
Item Level: 22
+11 to Attack Rating
+1 to Strength
Lightning Resist +9%
Fire Resist +8%
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Bitter Circle
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xf11866cb
+10% Faster Cast Rate
Cold Resist +13%
Poison Resist +13%
28% Extra Gold from Monsters
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Gemmed Claymore
Claymore
One Hand Damage: 5 - 12
Two Hand Damage: 13 - 30
Durability: 49 of 50
Required Level: 17
Required Strength: 47
Fingerprint: 0xd8fc33f9
Item Level: 20
Adds 8 - 12 Fire Damage
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
3% Mana stolen per hit
3% Life stolen per hit
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Flawless Skull
Socketed: Ruby
Socketed: Tal Rune

Mercenary:
Name: Leharas
Race: Desert Mercenary
Type: Comb-Normal
Experience: 2008972
Level: 26
Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
Strength: 86/86
Dexterity: 65/65
HP: 375/375
Defense: 248/400
AR: 335/335

Fire: 52/12/-48
Cold: 52/12/-48
Lightning: 52/12/-48
Poison: 52/12/-48

Full Helm
Defense: 24
Durability: 30 of 30
Required Strength: 41
Fingerprint: 0x55670e10
Item Level: 20

Superior Chain Mail
Defense: 128
Durability: 23 of 23
Required Strength: 38
Fingerprint: 0x19364e53
Item Level: 17
+13% Enhanced Defense
Ethereal

Savage Halberd
Halberd
Two Hand Damage: 21 - 80
Durability: 29 of 55
Required Level: 19
Required Strength: 75
Required Dexterity: 47
Fingerprint: 0x6e6a7153
Item Level: 50
79% Enhanced Damage
Kristberg and Leharas, Level 26, Act 3 Normal

Lv: 51 (Holy Shock Paladin)
Zone: The Palace

THE RULES:

ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:

DRUID:

NECROMANCER:

PALADIN:

SORCERESS:

Probably not going to play too much today. Just four more days (counting today) until my last exam. I got on a bit this morning to just run around and XP though, and probably will again later today.

I picked up one level, and also landed a decent rare scale armor. It has a little bit less defense than the breastplate I was using (87 vs 100 something), and looses the fast hit recovery along with 4% fire resist. My fire resist are still capped in NM though, and I pick up 21% lightning resist, 43 life, damage reduced by 4, and +4 strength. I like the life a lot, as I've been feeling low on that. With the lightning resist, I'm now solidly out of the negatives on everything except poison.

Poke around a bit more and got some more levels. Cleared the Viper Temple and found a pair of light gauntlets with 21% magic find. I'm tempted to hold on to them for farming at the end of NM, since MF is otherwise hard to come by in the tournament. They have no other useful stats at all though.

The end of the temple was a bit close... I might have been able to win the fight, but ended up doing a sneak run to the alter while my merc died, and porting myself out without killing all the snakes. I'd have had to put on resist lightning to not die, and my damage is just really, really low without holy shock. On p5 at least.

... [A few hours and several hundred study flashcards later] ...

I ran through the rest of Act 2 on p5, until I got to Duriel where I lowered it to p1, because I'm a wuss (and because my gear is questionable at best). I didn't get any drops of note on the way to him except for the unique Venom Grip gloves, which I really wish I could equip. It would be nice to get out of the negative poison resists.... and to have crushing blow... and all the other mods. But sigh.

I got to Duriel at 53. He was a bit tough for me - not in a close call way, but he just clearly outdid me and I had to warp out once to restock on potions. It felt kind of cheaty, but a win's a win. He didn't drop much. There was a rare light plate that was just a /touch/ better than what my Merc had, so I went and gave that to him.

On to Act 3! (But not today).

Last edited:
@Valeli - Great progress and good luck with your future finds for a tournament that feels sort of slow in progress and excitement for me, but then I always feel like I'm moving slower with a single attack melee build.

Last edited:
Yeah, single attack builds can get a bit repetitive I think. The gear restrictions don't really help progress out any. I've got a horrible attack rating and must be missing close to half of my zeals. It's a problem I'm hoping will fix itself because of all the multiplicative AR on Zeal... I just need to find a piece of gear or two that actually have good AR first though.

Hell will be really tough I think, I"m not sure how well I'll keep carrying on there. I can farm NM Baal or Meph, but without the ability to equip any unique or set items but the sword, I'm not entirely sure how much that will help. It might almost make more sense to run areas for Gems and see what I can craft myself....

Anyways, GL to both of us as we plow ahead!

I am joining in the Sword of Destiny tourney with @Valeli and @Southpaw8668. I want to do a 2H fana-zealot with eDeath for Council, and this character will be a nice starter for that (in SC). When/if I die, I will be able to gear him out in that incarnation.

Currently, Nathaniel, the two-handed fana-zealot-to-be, is in A4 at lvl 29.

THE RULES:

ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:

DRUID:

NECROMANCER:

PALADIN:

SORCERESS:

I focused on holy fire and then respeced to push holy freeze until he gets access to fanatacism, with the plan to have holy freeze as the back up for immunes. The respec occured before A3 (see below for explanation). I'm not doing full clears and adjusted the player settings as needed (p8 as default, but down to p1 for Arcane Sanctuary and Maggot Lair, p3 for jungles in A3).

He found his sword of destiny when running the Council in hopes of getting better rares without getting a unique 2H: Soulflay. Not as bad as it could have been. Summary of the journey so far is below.

Punching until lvl 8 because I forgot to add dex for the 2H sword. Moved through A1 with 2 sapphire and 1 ruby sword and got minimal rare drops. I had a good Andy map and did ~15 times for rares, and ended up with all but ring and amulet slots before moving on. I kept the rogue because I had found a nice bow with amp, which ended up working out well in A2. Not much of note in A2. First rare amulet was found in A3 and was pretty good for this character -- +1 pally offensive auras and some fire and lightning resists. Finished A3 just at lvl 27 and ran Meph and Council for two levels. Improved the rare collection a bit in the process and got the Unique Sword on second to last run before hitting lvl 29.

Excitement: Had a really close call with Duriel, even on p1. I went into the chamber, hit a town portal scroll, and zealed just as Duriel charged. Being in a 5-hit zeal cycle with low life, slow attack speed, and chilled (and with low cold resist, I guess) was scary. I went to a slivered red bulb almost before I could hit the juvie. After that, I regrouped into the TP. Took it seriously and switched to town guard with Blessed Aim (used a rare trident I had stashed) and then hit and ran, with about 10 town trips total before Duriel fell. Respeced after that experience to have only two points in zeal -- it was too slow with the two-hander to get through a 5-hit zeal cycle without fanatacism. I think that will be the end of this character, especially with lack of crowd control and no source of cannot be frozen.

Last edited:
Lv: 57 (Holy Shock Paladin)
Zone: Harrogath (NM)

THE RULES:

ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:

DRUID:

NECROMANCER:

PALADIN:

SORCERESS:

Act 3
I'd meant to just get on briefly today, but I got some really good (ie: short) Act 3 maps and ran the whole thing on p1. I got to skip the great Marsh entirely, and even my Durance map was good with a WP near the entrance to lv 3 if I ever want to go back and farm it. Best of all, it didn't have /any/ of those horrible stygian dolls.

I had one close call entering Kurast. The champion bramble thresher (is that the name?) who's lightning enchanted.... I thought I was safe with 39% resists, but he almost one-shot me. I turned my resist lightning aura on after that and my merc and I slowly got him down. My sword from normal isn't cutting it at all (no pun intended) for zeal damage without holy shock on though. I'll either need to get a new one on switch, or just a new one altogether soon.

I didn't find much (that I could use). I picked up the belt from the Hwain's set, and the shield from the Sigon set.

Ormus was much kinder to me with his Gidbinn ring on this go around though. I got one with 3% life leach, 3% mana leach, and ~50 attack (which I really needed). It also had 17% cold resist on it, which is always nice.

I took Mephisto down at lv 55. He dropped the unique sword Gleamscyth, that i can't use, and a crossbow. He also dropped a demonhide sash I could use though, and it was a bit better than my old crafted one. Mephisto's sash added 27 to life, and a bit more lightning resist than my old sash (20% vs 14%). It also got me 25% cold resist at the expense of 5% poison resist, and added 17% faster hit recovery and +5 replenish life. Cool stuff.

... although I don't like being at -16% poison resist.

In hell I just ran out and killed a few mobs fast to finish up my level. The rest of the act will have to wait.

I'm not sure what I'll do about Diablo. I'm not confident in doing him with 40% lightning resist, even if my fire and cold are both capped. And he has enough HP he'll be super-obnoxious to do without holy shock on.... maybe I'll go back and farm Mephisto or the Chaos Sanctuary for awhile. I'm probably high enough to start farming for gear now. Or maybe I'll risk using one of my two imbues if I pick up a Zweihander somewhere, and hope Charsi shows me some love.

Oh well, that's for later. Back to studying.

Act 4
Act four was the first act to be really rough on my poor merc. He just wasn't handling it well... I'm not really sold on the holy freeze aura he has either, it seems much worse than a capped paladin one. I need to look into how that levels up on him again. At this point, I'm giving some serious thought to going back to Act 2 Defiance or trying Act 2 Might instead. ... or even just an Act 5 Barbarian to be different.

Anyways, other than a small fortune spent on the mercenary the Act went pretty well.

I had one close call with Hephasto. Not actually fighting him, but killing him. He was fire enchanted... I wasn't all that scared since I had capped fire resists, but he made a really big explosion when he died and almost took me with him. I'll have to be better about letting my mercs deal with that in hell.

I also found a grand charm with 22 life and 10 lightning resist, upping me to 55% lightning resist (I think, about, going by memory). It's obnoxious to carry that in my inventory, but probably worth it.

The Chaos sanctuary itself was fairly easy. I wasn't planning on doing diablo, but there was a lightning shrine again so I went for it when I got there at lv57 (on p1). The catch was I was out of rejuvenation potions though, and there was no way I wanted to (or could?) do him without any. So I went and burned all of my chipped jewels cubing up some more.

Thanks to the tips you guys gave below (stand on him and lightning won't hit), it went great. The fire attack did decent damage even with 75%, but nothing too scary. The biggest issue was just his hp - I couldn't get him down in one run, and had to go back to town to restock on potions. I always feel like I'm cheating when I do that but... oh well.

He didn't drop much. There was a suit of linked mail with some enhanced defense I put on my mercenary, but even that was pretty lackluster.

Anyways - on to Act 5!

Last edited:
@Valeli - Nice score with the Demonhide Sash! If you work on getting your FR pretty high you can stand right on top of Diablo in Hell and his lightning attack won't touch you. Hold down Alt key to get real close to him.

Last edited:
If you work on getting your FR pretty high you can stand right on top of Diablo in Hell and his lightning attack won't touch you. Hold down Alt key to get real close to him.
Wow, really? I had no clue.

I'll go practice that on normal at some point. That would help out a ton.

@Valeli - There's no gap between Diablo and his lightning hose in normal, so no practice there. There's a sizable gap in hell, and if you're in melee range of Diablo, you shouldn't get hit by the lightning attack.

---
Titan Werebear

Just completed Act 1 at level 20. Andariel went down fast to fire claws, even at slvl 3. Collected a ton of chipped gems for future weapon cubing. One thing I should get into a habit of doing is re-transforming into werebear to reset the timer. Not a big deal going back into human form in the middle of a fight now, but will be deadly later on.

Found this nice pair of boots of the way:

View attachment 3143

@Valeli - Won't work in Normal, Diablo's Lightning hose is only bugged in NM and Hell difficulties. Try that in Normal and you will most surely die!!!

Edit: @NanoMist - Those are some nice boots for sure!

Last edited:
Great tip on the lightning you guys.

Just got to Diablo and was able to take him down fairly easily (although I had to run back to town to restock potions, and my Merc might have something to say about just how "easy" it was....).

But yeah, that worked well.

I'm wondering if I should go back to a defiance merc, or try a might merc instead of holy freeze.... it hasn't been as impressive as I feel I remember it was. Maybe I just need to let my merc level up though?

... I'm also in dire need of a bit more defense I think. Or something. The foul crows at the start of act five, and the spears from the cats, are just pincushioning me. I think they're all hitting. I'm not used to my life going down nearly this fast. Granted I usually have a shield. But still, even on my frenzy barbs.

Last edited:
So I have started GoldenBoy; based on Green and Golden:
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/tournament-envious-of-the-green-and-gold.844094/

And I really love playing necro. Summoner. Just relax and let others do the job...
I have found one item so far that I am allowed to use, a Hsarus Iron fist shield. I have just saved Cain and will soon proceed into the Black Marsh to see what the countess has to offer. Not that I am allowed to use any runes but still...

GoldenBoy, gold and green summoner necro , lvl 15, Black Marsh

The premise is to use only what the monsters supply to vanquish Baal.

1. Only equipment dropped from enemies may be used.
- Nothing from poppables, shopping, or gambling
- Exceptions: scrolls/pots may be bought from vendors, gold-lettered quest items are also exempt for obvious reasons

2. Allowed skills:
- Revive
- Iron Golem (made from an item dropped by enemies)
- 1 pt CE, 1 pt all curses

Full rule-set and background, if you're interested.

--

The first thing Aikido did upon getting to Lut Gholein was to head on over and hire Jemali the Defiance Guard. This will give Aikido the opportunity to step back from the front lines and take up a more curse-oriented role until he can amass his army.

We had a small wrinkle in the plans as we forgot to save a weapon for jemali to use, so he started out weaponless. Luckily, it wasn't too long before we found some white polearms, and with the help of Amp we were well on our way.

We found a 17% Nagelring straight away in the Rocky Waste, which is great since we can't shop or gamble for all that lovely MF gear. Before we knew it we had retrieved the cube, and killed Radament before heading off to the Maggot Lair. It was here that we finally hit 24 and got access to Iron Golem. He's just made out of some junk now to test out his durability, but we are holding on to the ingredients for a 'Steel' weapon if he proves that he can stick around decently. It would be a good help for boss fights, I'm sure! So after grinding through the ML we finally got our first Kris to drop in the Lost City, which we immediately used to cube a nice Savage Poleaxe for Jemali to use. Needless to say with the help of amp he just tears through everything on /p8 right now.

We were a bit worried about the fight with Fangskin (as always), but we got lucky and managed to use a chest to our tactical advantage to keep his group contained:

TUPjzuF.jpg

No surprise charges at Aikido this time!

Things just flew from there on out, and before we knew it we were clearing out the false tombs. They fell easily, as CE nullifies the threat/annoyance of Unravellers, and Jemali is just insanely strong right now. Even old Kaa crumbled in a matter of seconds. Time to face the big bug!

Now as mentioned earlier, we had planned on making a 'Steel' IG for the fight, although when it came time we completely forgot to make him. I'm glad we forgot though, as Duriel shattered the IG in about 2 seconds straight away :rolleyes:. Decrep kept Jemali safe, and soon enough Duriel was down. His drop had nothing useful whatsoever:

fVNUeD0.jpg

Finds:
- Deathspade (we have it on switch for now, just in case Aikido needs to get his hands dirty again)

[highlight]Aikido, the future Revivomancer with Jemali the Defiance Guard - lvl 28, Kurast Docks[/highlight]

Last edited:
Day 7 - No updates. I had to get down to work a bit more seriously. My previous exam went well though, so that's nice. Just have to get this one last one out of the way.

Day 8 - Nothing doing either. Pulling an all nighter for the last exam. So close now. So close.

Level: 65 (Holy Shock Pld)
Zone: Harrogath Basecamp
Day 9 - I'm finally getting a full summer off for the first time in like, five years. It's going to be glorious. I think I'll kick it off with a nap to make up for last night, and then I'll get back to this and finally update it later on!

So my big issue is that I'm having trouble with the poison damage in act 5's early parts (all damage really, but /especially/ that). The fowl crows are all hitting me because i have poor defense, and because my resist for poison is in the negatives, all those hits are actually hurting instead of tickling. I'm not sure how best to approach it. More levels always helps.... but probably won't help too much here. Damage isn't my problem, and skills won't up my defense or poison resists.

I'm thinking I can either go back and farm the chaos sanctuary for some xp and rares, or I can simply waypoint farm shenk and that other group of NM's north of the waypoint. Or I could go farm Mephisto, since I got a really nice durance map. Shenk is probably the safest farm, and (maybe?) The best XP. I'll probably try starting there.

The other option is I could trade in my holy freeze merc for a defiance one, and see if the armor upgrade makes me get hit notably less by annoying stuff (for the rest of Act 5 NM, at least). I'm still not super-impressed by my mercenery's holy freeze aura. ... Conflicted though. Really want to try and let my holy freeze merc grow up.

Edit: Actual Update, a bit.

I decided to take the relatively safe shenk farming approach. It looks like it's going to be much easier xp than the chaos sanctuary, and I avoid most of the poison by just waypoint farming. I'll stick with this for awhile, probably. Until I get something that makes me feel better. I'm farming it on p3. I could probably do p5 just fine, but I'm a cautious person and feel like I've come far enough I don't want a careless error to cost my character - I probably wouldn't rebuild a fourth.

I got a rare circlet with no resists but some nice +fire and +lightning damage, and plopped that on my mercenary (his resists are pretty good unti I get to hell, so I figured I"d take the extra 150 damage or so. I haven't found myself any items yet, but did get up one level so far.

. . . Just a bit down the line . . .
It happened! I got sexy boots.
They have 30% faster run/walk, 14% chance to nova, increased defense w/ character level, 38% lightning resist, and 25% fire resist. Wow!

Putting these on takes my cold resist down from 75% to 60%, but it bumps my lightning resist up to 83%, without even having to turn resist lightning on! I've literally been waiting all 2 difficulty levels to have a gear set up that would finally let me take advantage of my build. It's nice to finally see that drop. 30% faster run/walk is pretty boss too.

Sadly, they don't address my poison/defense issues. But I'll take what I can get, and those are a very nice upgrade for me. ... full disclaimer, the new boots loose out on a tiny bit of attack as well, and drop my to hit on the lcs by 2% because I have so little attack rating to begin with.

To wrap up the good news, a few mobs later I broke the lv 60 mark.

Do I get anything special at 60? Absolutely not. But it's a nice number that makes me feel like I legitimately hit the mid-game.

. . . . . . . . . . . .
I picked up a few more levels (on 65 now), but didn't get any items. I tried crafting a pair of safety gloves, but had a bad result. I did get an Immortal King's Set belt that I can find a nice home for on another character though. Not a bad consolation prize. I've upped the players to 5 (for this waypoint farming, at least) and am feeling safe. I'm just going to stick with it a bit more.

I've capped resist lightning and am starting to work on my salvation synergy for physical damage. For that to have any real impact, I'm going to have to get a new sword. I'm still hanging onto the very fast one I had from normal, but might give it up for a fast sword with some decent enhanced damage in a few levels. I don't have a lot of life leach, but what I do will make itself felt a bit more once I make that swap.

I feel like at some point I can't quite define between lv 57 and 65, my holy freeze mercenary's aura started to become useful too. So that's nice. I'll hold off on getting rid of him.

Last edited:
First chance to play since the weekend. Nathaniel, the two-handed zealot (sort of) finished Normal. Update is below, but first . . .

Congrats @Valeli on the progress. I think it makes sense to take advantage of the non-single-pass structure of the tourney and level up a bit in NM. That's my plan, at least. And it's nice when good gear drops, especially with the restriction to rares.

THE RULES:

ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:

DRUID:

NECROMANCER:

PALADIN:

SORCERESS:

I ran Council for one more level and then moved to A4. I used p8, and had some interesting moments in the River of Flame, with the spawners and rock worms (or whatever the egg layers are called in this Act). It was never really a NDE, but I definitely got stuck with nowhere to go and had to go through my red potions. I toned it down to p5 for Chaos Sanctuary and p3 for Diablo, and didn't have any issues. I had 75+ resists on Fire and Lightning with gear plus charms.

A5 presented no issues. No great finds, but I made it to Baal at 40 and hit 41 when he fell. I did Cows and then a set of Pindle runs to 42, then moved into NM. Nathaniel is sitting in the Rogue camp, with pretty decent resists and maxed Holy Freeze with half of the resist cold synergy. The merc desperately needs a weapon upgrade -- I'll probably use my NM imbue on the best plain pole arm I find. Nathaniel needs a Sol to upgrade the Sword (Soulflay) and a Shael for the socket.

Given the SoD drop, I may abandon the Fana-zealot plan, and go for maxed Holy Freeze and then Holy Shock as a backup. Any suggestions?

Name: Nathaniel
Class: Paladin
Experience: 21513438
Level: 42

Naked/Gear
Strength: 90/94
Dexterity: 40/40
Vitality: 150/150
Energy: 15/28
HP: 532/559
Mana: 76/79
Stamina: 255/295
Defense: 10/118
AR: 185/255

Fire: 94/54/-6
Cold: 40/0/-60
Lightning: 128/88/28
Poison: 64/24/-36

MF: 17 Block: 8
GF: 49
FR/W: 27
FHR: 20
IAS: 10
FCR: 0

Sacrifice: 1/1
Smite: 0/0
Holy Bolt: 0/0
Zeal: 2/2
Charge: 0/0
Vengeance: 0/0
Blessed Hammer: 0/0
Conversion: 0/0
Holy Shield: 0/0
Fist of the Heavens: 0/0

Might: 1/2
Holy Fire: 1/2
Thorns: 0/0
Blessed Aim: 1/2
Concentration: 1/2
Holy Freeze: 20/21
Holy Shock: 0/0
Sanctuary: 0/0
Fanaticism: 1/2
Conviction: 0/0

Prayer: 1/1
Resist Fire: 0/0
Defiance: 1/1
Resist Cold: 12/12
Cleansing: 1/1
Resist Lightning: 0/0
Vigor: 1/1
Meditation: 0/0
Redemption: 1/1
Salvation: 0/0

Horadric Cube
Fingerprint: 0xcfe56252
Item Level: 13

Plague Lock
Belt
Defense: 5
Durability: 16 of 16
Fingerprint: 0x66a3071d
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+20 Maximum Stamina
Lightning Resist +12%
Poison Resist +5%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1

Doom Band
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x517b49e9
+10 to Attack Rating
+2 to Strength
+20 Maximum Stamina
Fire Resist +11%
40% Extra Gold from Monsters
8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Shimmering Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x2babecb8
All Resistances +12

Beryl Large Charm
Large Charm
Required Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0x3a74429e
Item Level: 11
Poison Resist +7%

Eagle Wing
Amulet
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0x9fe7e040
Item Level: 23
+1 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+1 to Maximum Damage
+6 to Energy
Lightning Resist +15%
Fire Resist +12%

Grand Charm of Inertia
Grand Charm
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0x72c48f6b
Item Level: 28
+7% Faster Run/Walk

Plague Master
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xee894435
+20 to Attack Rating
3% Life stolen per hit
Lightning Resist +9%

Grand Charm of Anthrax
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8e683347
Adds 50 Poison Damage Over 6 Secs (150 Frames)

Hailstone Grasp
Light Gauntlets
Defense: 9
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 13
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0xfdcc0192
+1 to Strength
Lightning Resist +20%
Fire Resist +24%
9% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Russet Small Charm of Frost
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x36e3b25b
Fire Resist +7%

Fiend Hide
Studded Leather
Defense: 50
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Strength: 27
Fingerprint: 0x90a076ce
Item Level: 33
+41% Enhanced Defense
+18 to Life
Lightning Resist +25%
Poison Resist +22%

Fine Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 16
Fingerprint: 0x856dd04a
+5 to Maximum Damage
+40 to Attack Rating

Fiend Brow
Mask
Defense: 32
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Strength: 23
Fingerprint: 0xbc26a78e
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+17% Enhanced Defense
+7 to Energy
+3 to Mana
Lightning Resist +20%

Russet Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x61d9d766
+1 to Strength
Fire Resist +7%

Russet Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x32a8a97f
Fire Resist +6%

Beast Track
Greaves
Defense: 12
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 16
Required Strength: 70
Fingerprint: 0x67f85e64
Item Level: 45
+20% Faster Run/Walk
Cold Resist +9%
Half Freeze Duration
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds

Nathaniel's Soulflay
Claymore
One Hand Damage: 8 - 21
Two Hand Damage: 23 - 53
Durability: 48 of 50
Required Level: 19
Required Strength: 47
Fingerprint: 0xc85f2d16
+10% Increased Attack Speed
77% Enhanced Damage
8% Mana stolen per hit
4% Life stolen per hit
All Resistances +5
1 Sockets (0 used)

Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8056d5c7
+9 to Life

Azure Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xb84b2fc4
Cold Resist +4%

Small Charm of Frost
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xa7a6922e

Beryl Small Charm of Greed
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xf49a6bd7
Item Level: 31
Poison Resist +3%
9% Extra Gold from Monsters

Small Charm of Lightning
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x97e86f49
Item Level: 35
Adds 1 - 7 Lightning Damage

Mercenary:

Name: Razan
Race: Desert Mercenary
Type: Off-Normal
Experience: 7686058
Level: 40
Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
Strength: 111/111
Dexterity: 86/86
HP: 585/585
Defense: 407/502
AR: 461/504

Fire: 87/47/-13
Cold: 101/61/1
Lightning: 85/45/-15
Poison: 80/40/-20

Blood Veil
Helm
Defense: 21
Durability: 15 of 24
Required Level: 5
Required Strength: 26
Fingerprint: 0x2ee93488
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
+15 to Attack Rating
+14% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +5%
+1 to Light Radius

Brimstone Wrap
Chain Mail
Defense: 74
Durability: 34 of 45
Required Level: 13
Required Strength: 48
Fingerprint: 0x6c4a4c96
+24% Faster Hit Recovery
Cold Resist +21%
Fire Resist +7%
+1 to Light Radius

Storm Stake
Poleaxe
Two Hand Damage: 26 - 61
Durability: 60 of 65
Required Strength: 62
Fingerprint: 0x6a9e09a
40% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 7 Damage
+28 to Attack Rating
+29% Damage to Undead
+43 to Attack Rating against Undead
Adds 1 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High