Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

No laptop with WiFi?? Luddite!! [emoji14]
Or the fact that my $1500 pc is more powerful than a $3000 laptop (estimated)
And have you ever tried gaming over wifi.....

Manly hugs are good as any.

Everyone needs hugs every now and then

Friendship is manly. Equestrianly Manly. (Not quite as epic as the first one, but still amazing animation.)

[youtube]VoOW1Vvl2oU[/youtube]

You don't need to go outside to see rainbows. We have google.

I need to buy a PC. For the reason that my laptop is incredibly slow now, and has several crashes (some minor, some full on crashes with weird booting up. I highly doubt it's a virus (I've scanned nmerous times and programs, and checked for odd activity,) but it's getting old, slow and simply can't keep up with what I want to do.
And, as @Jcakes said, PC's are better (and cheaper for better) than laptops.

I can't bother building one, so I'm looking at a site I (believe) I got this current laptop from. What I'm looking at is sure to be overkill, but I do want to try SC2 at near max settings, DIII, Median Ultimative without slowdowns and possibly MP, and be able to try a few other things out if they pique my interest (PoE, and possibly newer things?)
Any advice on graphics card, and what is this (moreso on silly labelling "ASUS" vs "ASUS STRIX":

ASUS/Gigabyte GTX750 PHOC 2GB
ASUS STRIX/Gigabyte GTX960 DC2OC 4GB

They are on mid range PC's, and quite likely both overkill, but it's been far too long, and technology changes so rapidly.

I need to buy a PC. For the reason that my laptop is incredibly slow now, and has several crashes (some minor, some full on crashes with weird booting up. I highly doubt it's a virus (I've scanned nmerous times and programs, and checked for odd activity,) but it's getting old, slow and simply can't keep up with what I want to do.
And, as @Jcakes said, PC's are better (and cheaper for better) than laptops.

I can't bother building one, so I'm looking at a site I (believe) I got this current laptop from. What I'm looking at is sure to be overkill, but I do want to try SC2 at near max settings, DIII, Median Ultimative without slowdowns and possibly MP, and be able to try a few other things out if they pique my interest (PoE, and possibly newer things?)
Any advice on graphics card, and what is this (moreso on silly labelling "ASUS" vs "ASUS STRIX":

ASUS/Gigabyte GTX750 PHOC 2GB
ASUS STRIX/Gigabyte GTX960 DC2OC 4GB

They are on mid range PC's, and quite likely both overkill, but it's been far too long, and technology changes so rapidly.

Aussie's have a good overclockers site: http://www.overclockers.com.au/ Edit: Not as good as the UK site, but at least it is local to you. If you want to read more on what people are building, check out OCUK's General Hardware forum.

Either card should play those games at max settings at 1080p (you aren't going to run crazy high res, right?). The games you mentioned are all more CPU intensive than graphics intensive.

A slow laptop and crashing can mean the HDD is failing. Back it up! And if you cheapen out and not buy a new pc, you could possibly try salvaging the laptop by throwing an SSD and it should make it feel new again, for awhile.

Skylake is available now, so hopefully Broadwell reduces in price due to it being the older generation.

My computer still works wonderfully. About 3 years old now. I would like to get some more memory though. Only reason I haven't yet is that I'm too lazy to figure out what I actually need. At least I think that's the problem, it sometimes says high memory usage by D2 or Windows or whatever.

Last time I went to upgrade my ram, I inadvertently knocked something off my motherboard. I don't know what it was, but it turned out to be essential. Ended up getting a new machine. That was in, like, 2009. Still using the replacement, although the sound doesn't work and it won't run many games, including D3 and oblivion. Been pricing replacements.

Who does the very big bum, covered in red trousers, belong to, sitting on top of the sofa?

Apart from that, second pic is cute, and I decided to give the processed carrots and broccoli a miss - I see pleny of those myself.

Is that your mother in law sitting on the couch above you, in the orange pants?

Dang, beaten to the joke. Nice pic! Oh the days when they didn't move around so much....

*serves long island iced tea and drinks

*serves Dew

*is traumatized by the processed carrots picture

*walks out

*serves long island iced tea and drinks

*serves Dew

*is traumatized by the processed carrots picture

*walks out
Rookie mistake. Do not click on any spoiled photos of kamaps, the French have a strange obsession with poo.....

@kamap - Dude... Why post shit pics? XD Why?
In fact, who wants to look at shit pics? And, if anyone here does, please explain to me why. :)
Thanks.
*prepares solution of memory bleach*
*in the form of a nice whiskey and cola*

@thefranklin - Thanks. 1080p is fine, or possibly slightly above if I get a larger monitor. That's not important though. I've been playing on an old laptop, so size/resolution doesn't matter.

The laptop has been dying for a long time. It's had some serious issues for a while, but still okay for now. I've got most of my important things backed up from January this year, including most of my photos, movies, music, some games/program installers, and some documents. I want to upgrade before it dies completely though, as it's so much easier to buy a PC browsing from a PC/laptop, than not having one.
I figured that both graphics cards would be fine, as they're mid range (not "Extreme," but not "Value" either,) and DIII/SC2 are both several years old now. SC2 was released in 2010!!! Really?
The CPU's are well above the recommendations, but I've heard that SC2 campaign has some bits that do slow things down, even on beastly PC's.
The cheaper CPU is an INTEL i5 4690 4-Core @ 3.5GHz.

Is it generally better to ask for an SDD than HDD? I thought they were easier to lose data/become corrupt if the power goes out.

@Ariadne: Thats a breastfeeding cushion.

Someone requested when they where born to keep them updated on how the kids are doing, colour of poop and so on and since a picture says more then a thousand words, voila!

You can all thank Loz!
Congrats, K*map! Glad it was twins and not just wind.

Best of luck doing without sleep for a while. Enjoy being double-teamed by twin infant evil geniuses. Have lots of joy, you and the mummy, and don't forget to keep the forum updated with the colour and consistency of any seepages you encounter at this special time!

Well played, Mr & Mrs K*map!

Edit:
p.s. may all your drops be green and runny!

By the way I'm no French I'm a Belgian!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High