The Passive Aggressive Tournament

I about crapped my pants when you had red text in your screenshot with the Death Lord boss...

That was exactly what happened to me too!

@jiansonz Congrats on the Guardian, very impressive, and some very nice weapons you were able to make!

@Southpaw8668 Sorry for the loss, those temples are probably my biggest fear in this game.

WallE is rolling through act 3. I quickly decided that this was not the tournament to be a hero in and use an iron wolf merc, since I really can't kill anything myself and the golem isn't much better. So it was back to the town guard prayer merc. I started using fire golem. He's much better at killing, but much less resilient. He also requires a lot of mana to cast, and I won't even be able to cast him past skill level 4 at this level of mana. Nothing is even remotely dangerous or scary so far, and not much of interest has been dropping either. I have the trav WP but need to go back and clear the sewers still.

[highlight]WallE, level 31, Travinacal[/highlight]

Well, I was gambling circlets and found this beauty. Too bad it's not "of Luck"

It's a very good rare, especially for being so early in the game. You can't get Luck on rares anyway. Best MF potential for a rare circlet is if you get Fortune, Felicitous and (2 sockets) Mechanic's.

@kestegs - How's the use of walls working out for you? I've read about teeth builds that rely heavily on them but figured it would be pretty tough with the limited arsenal. That and bone wall/prisons are also pretty mana intensive I found out quickly.

@jiansonz - Congratulations, you're the man!!!

That's a sick circlet! It could obviously be a lot better, but I'd take it!

The walls are non existent right now, and I feel a little silly for naming my character that now :p My game plan has drastically changed from the original plan of walls/IM. I will start pumping prison soon though, since the mana cost reduces with every level and eventually gets down to only 1. Of course that's at skill level 27, but even getting it down to 5 per cast would make it pretty useful. Confuse works extremely well as a crowd control anyways, which reminds me that I forgot to upload an action shot of confuse earlier...
View attachment 1010

Quick update on Relic the necromancer specializing in iron golem and curses. He is currently level 34 and is waiting at the River of Flame before I can find the time to take on Diablo. I'll give a full update full of screens shots and gear once I beat normal. So far he is a blast to play and definitely very powerful. Amp and dim vision are ridiculously powerful early in the game. Also, congrats to jiansonz on a great Guardian and incredible gear!

Rocky has finished Act 1, nothing too interesting to note early game barb is very strong. I really enjoyed using taunt on the shamans since they can sometimes be annoying to track down and kill first.

The journey started off with probably the worst topaz luck I have ever had. I think my first chipped topaz was the 23rd or 24rd chipped gem, but then once I found one they all stated to come and before long both Rocky and my Rogue companion were maxed out. Then Andy was nice enough to drop a topaz for me. Finished Act 1 with combined 132% MF on Merc kills.

Rocky has 3 points invested in find item, which has helped get some extra drops, I use it on all champion and boss packs. Act 1 S/U:
Knell Stricker Scepter - current weapon
Felloak Club - weapon on switch for the 60% LR
Arctic Furs
Axe of Fechmar

And countess dropped a Ral Rune

I plan to hire an Act 2 helper, but I'm still trying to decide between Blessed Aim and Defiance, I think AR will be an issue later so I'm tempted to go with Blessed Aim, plus shout will provide a boost to defense already.

I still also am not sure on strategy for Strength and Dex stat points, I have just been increasing both with maybe a bit more to strength. I am also thinking of just putting 1 point into each of Axe, Sword, and Mace mastery because in a single pass tournament my weapon type will be very dependent on drops.

Rocky the Tank Barbarian, level 20, Lut Gholein

As I have zero talent in names, the Summon Druid Interdasting has been named by his father to carry on his legacy.

A1 so far has been meh, only one topaz and bad luck in finding socketed items. Already level 12 and just finished clearing out Stony Field before heading for Dark Woods. Nabbed five wolves and waiting for more levels to invest (Dire Wolves+Cyclone Armor). Maybe SoW too...

It will be a long, long, long time in between updates but I hope to keep you guys posted on my progress into Loam suicide. Grats jiansonz by the way. Amazing luck and great strategy got you that #1 :)

And good luck to everybody else. Watch out for those spirits.

Interdasting the Summon Druid, level 12, Stony Field

Last edited:
@Dazliare - That is an awesome circlet, congrats! The name is definitely a nice touch.

@bladejj - Great progress, good luck with Big D!

@Interdasting - Welcome officially to the fray. That's a shame about the topaz luck, mine was about the same. Hopefully it picks up for you in the last half of the act!

--

I didn't get as much time with Calabi as I would have liked this weekend due to RL getting in the way, but there was some progress. She left Harrogath and travelled up the Bloody foothills. It was populated with burning dead archers, which was not as dangerous as I thought it would be. It helps that she has well over 50% change to avoid ranged attacks, plus 38% blocking on her shield switch. Shenk spawned with Teleportation which was incredbily handy since he almost immediately tele'd away from his pack, meaning we could kill all his minions in peace without him converting them to the exploder-type monsters, which would have wasted the drops (and exp I believe).

The Frigid Highlands got interesting when we met up with with this gal's pack.

UcZg7dH.jpg

We tried to use the doorways to bottleneck the group so that Kasim and Calabi could hit them over the valk's shoulder, but they just wouldn't stay put. They killed Kasim once (or twice, can't remember), so we had to be quite careful when taking the on, hence why I could only take the screeniw once most of them had been killed. So after that fight, we moved on only to be immediately greeted by these lovely ladies. As you can see by the archer firing at Calabi, this group was also might enchanted, and had to be handled with care. Archers can be tough to begin with when out in the open like this, as they run around a ton. The screenshot gives you a decent show of how unorganized the fighting can be with them.

We had a bit of a scary run-in in Abaddon when we were met with this Extra fast, Fanaticism enchanted Hell witch pack.

NYnwpkQ.jpg

This was taken once the craziness had all calmed down, but essentially this whole area was filled, and I mean FILLED with witches. This was especially scary when you consider the following posted in the d2 wiki:

Bloodstar projectile attacks deal physical damage, and always hit, though they can be blocked or dodged. Beware these when cursed with Amplify Damage.

Amp happens, of course, to be their curse of choice. So this whole section had to be taken with extreme care. As you can see there was a shaman boss hanging around as well, which didn't make things any easier, since Kasim and the valk would often get distracted with the carvers that kept getting resurrected. I like these areas of the game, they can really throw some challenging situations at you sometimes!

So we got through that ordeal and worked our way up to the Crystalline Passage. We drew more Succubi, Snakes, and Ghosts. The snakes and Succubi were mostly not a problem, but having all those PI ghosts sure could slow things down. Luckily, we still had our demon limb in the stash, so we decided to try it out and enchant everyone. What a difference! Apparently, when ghosts spawn as guest monsters (as they did here) they have 0 fire resistance (normally they have 50)! This was great, and even though the enchant damage isn't huge on the demon limb's charges, it was more than enough to speed things up considerably. We grabbed the WP and that is where Calabi is sitting now, waiting to finish clearing the passage, then go and save Anya.

Other finds:
- Wormskull
- Tal Rasha's belt

[highlight]Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 87, Hell Crystalline Passage[/highlight]

--

New table to get Interdasting added in, as well as some of the great progress by others this weekend.

Code:
The Proven (Guardians):
Forum Name     Class        Char Name      LVL    ACT       Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jiansonz       Sorceress    Sissy          87     ---       Full Game Clear

Table of Heroes:
Pb_pal         Amazon       Calabi         87     A5(H)     Crystalline Passage
Zylo           Druid        Hoyt           59     A3(NM)    Kurast Docks
sivaeB         Necromancer  Toast          49     A2(NM)    Lut Gholein
felixbavaria   Sorceress    Swoosh         51     A1(NM)    Inner Cloister
srrw           Druid        PurpleHaze     48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
thefranklin    Druid        FollowTheBear  48     A1(NM)    Rogue Encampment
bladejj        Necromancer  Relic          34     A4        River of Flame
djmbbandie     Assassin     Natasha        32     A4        Pandemonium Fortress
kestegs        Necromancer  WallE          31     A3        Travincal
ranagrande     Barbarian    Beldric        28     A3        Kurast Docks
pharphis       Sorceress    SlamDoorsShut  23     A2        Far Oasis
Morathi        Assassin     Carrisa        21     A2        Lut Gholein
Bee            Barbarian    Rocky          20     A2        Lut Gholein
Dazliare       Amazon       RIP_Vladimir   ??     A2        Lut Gholein
Jocular        Assassin     ?????          14     A1        Stony Field/Dark Wood(?)
jamesixgun     Druid        John           13     A1        Dark Wood
Interdasting   Druid        Interdasting   12     A1        Stony Field

The Fallen (RIP):
Southpaw8668   Necromancer  Hallow         61     A3(NM)    Great Marsh
Southpaw8668   Amazon       Contessa       15     A1        Andariel

How am i not surprised Jiansonz? I knew you would make Guardian and what an amazing effort and such great weapons found/made along the way! Great job!

As far as Carrisa's progress goes, almost completed act 2.....real life has been way too busy for me to find time to play, hopefully soon though! I am hoping to complete act 2 by the weekend if all goes to plan but who knows at the moment with me hahaha.

Keep up the amazing progress guys!

Just a quick update for Rocky, he has progressed quickly through Act 2, with no issues so far. I decided after some indecision to go with the blessed aim merc for the added AR.

So far the build has been really safe, and no NDE's.

As well, there have been no drops to note. We have cleared the lost city and ancient tunnels. Onto one of my favorite dungeons, the claw viper temple.

Rocky the Tank Barbarian with Mizan the Blessed Aim Desert Mercenary, Level 25, Lost City

The wife went to bed early so that meant I got the extremely rare opportunity to play D2 during the week. Well I decide to take on big D and boy was it a great fight! Relic, the level 35 ironmancer and his trusty blessed aim sidekick, Whatever His Name Is, with he help our iron girl friend, thought we were well prepared but boy were we wrong. Even though it was only in normal, this was still the most epic D2 battle I have ever had. Very entertaining and frightening screens shots to come later this week.

Act 1 Nightmare finally brought FollowTheBear some excitement. After the boring trudge through normal with no challenges, random boss packs with more mods started to make things interesting. Finding double and even triple boss packs started ratcheting up the fun!

Poison Creeper is looking like a waste of 20 points. Time to Max Raven!

Good thing bear is a badass tank. He could tank entire packs where Hazade couldn't handle two of them. Sadly, I haven't found an upgrade since mid-Act 4 for him, so that is part of it :). He also has no leech.

Bear gains about 30% damage and 15% life when summoned with switch amulet and skill shrine (for a +3 total skills). This is huge! Was hoping to find a 4 socket sword...

The entire act was taken at p8. The merc slowed down, but bear was killing pretty fast. Andy was taken down with edge switch and repeatedly summoning bear in her face. Haha thorns. It was pretty fast.

I do have sad news, there is no way this guy makes it to the end. I would need to cast bear into every room and heading towards every bad guy. I am going to run around and die because I am not a fighter, and there is no way to direct these guys forward. I probably won't make it to hell. I had a scary NDE where I got less than 100 hp from a bunch of normal dudes. This picture was taken after I had potted and ran out of the room!
Worst%20NDE.jpg

Early Double Boss Pack that spawned really close to each other (the shaman at the bottom throwing a fireball was a unique, too). It was fun fighting them in that tight of a quarters. (bad english?)
FIrst%20Double%20Boss.jpg

I found some lifeleech, but 72% mf is more important (even though bear is a kill stealing bastard)
Merc%20LL.jpg

Bear had to tank Pitspawn. I ran into the room and got myself caught in the corner. I went to town a few times and merc died once or twice. Bear could tank entire pack w/o much problem, but they kept hitting me and merc in that blasted corner in the left of the room (where the vine patches are). I wasn't good enough to get the frantic screenshot.
Bear%20takes%20down%20pitspawn.jpg

Yay! Unique Ring! Sad, 16% Nagel.
Bad%20Nagel.jpg

Yay, fun Beat Stick! Will have to make a decision to up it and use it or something. Too bad barb merc can't hold it.
Hmmm%20Hit%20Stuff.jpg

Andy Drop (bet you couldn't have guessed I defeated an Act boss on quest kill with a boatload of mf!)
I%20killed%20a%20boss%20huh.jpg

Destroyer FollowTheBear, camped in Lut Gholein, Level 52.995.

Last edited:
Franklin, consider a wand withe life tap charges on swap. You could have another wand with terror charges to switch in too - that's how Vladimir was so successful in the skillless tournament. Terror saved my life dozens of times, and life tap was absolutely needed in later nightmare and hell.

@Bee - Good luck in the CVT!

@bladejj - Normal Diablo can be a real challenge depending on where your character is in their development. Great job beating him, I look forward to hearing about it. :)

@thefranklin - Great progress, but don't count yourself out too early on getting through NM/Hell! A couple big finds could completely switch the dynamic for you. That bonesnap can be an enormous help with the big CB, and if you can score a good merc weapon/some decent rune luck, your merc can become quite the tank. Having the bear to take the heat off him will help as well. We believe in you (and FollowTheBear)!

--

Calabi resumed her quest and finished clearing out the Crystalline Passage before heading down to try and save Anya. She drew Lancers, Snakes, and Prowling Dead in the Frozen River. The lack of Gloams made it very easy, and not at all memorable. At least Anya was pleased to be back in town. As usual, we decided to clear up to and including the Frozen Tundra before taking on Nihlathak's Temple. The Glacial Trail started off on a rockey note, when this boss pack turned out to be very hard to seperate. As you can see they had no problem killing Kasim. In fact, they killed him about 7 times. It was a bit nerve wracking, as we hadn't explored alot yet (see minimap) and really didn't want to wake anything else up. We ended up getting pushed right back to the entrance, left Kasim dead, and had the valk take them while the decoy took some pressure off. The rest of the Glacial Trail was easy, and the Icy Cavern went pretty well, although there were a couple spots where we had to be quite careful with Ghost and Succubi boss packs. Here is a fun SS to show what we had to deal with: (did I mention I LOVE Slow MIssiles?)

bRqAAFN.jpg

The Frozen Tundra was easy, so once it and it's accompanying Hell portal (Infernal Pit?) were cleared out, we took a break to do some muling. In came the 'Nadir' helm, and the 'Black' flail, as preparation and insurance for the Halls of Vaught. So in through the portal we went. Pindle's garden was easy, we managed to get into a good spot and use the pillars and bushes to funnel the reanimators into easily manageable groups for Kasim and the valk. The whole garden was cleared from this point with no problems:

e6tsWET.jpg

Once we were done with them, we woke old Pindle up, and drew him out into the garden to take him where there was enough space. With Pindle dead, and his drop useless, we went down the stairs. Level 1 was cleared without trouble, we drew all easy monsters (flayers, devilkin, I can't even remember the third draw, maybe apes). In Level 2 we met up with a pack right off the bat that had the potential to be absolutely terrifying, as we had basically nowhere to retreat to. We had to constantly spam Decoy to keep the boss and 1 or 2 minions busy, while Kasim and the valk whittled the others down. It took some time, as these guys have 66% Physical Resistance. Luckily we kept them contained, and they went down without issue, it sure was tense though! After clearing the rest of the level with no hiccups, and so it was time to go down and face Nilly.

We descended the stairs and were immediately rushed by a group of Ghosts. As we were dealing with them some Prowling dead came creeping in from off screen. Good, those are both very manageable monster types, even if they are slightly annoying. We managed to back them all into a corner and killed them with no scares, then went back to town to use Demon Limb to enchant the three of us so that the Ghosts would go more quickly. We crept down the first wing, going as slowly as possible until we found out what the third monster draw would be. We made it through the big room of the first wing and then we saw it. A little glimmer of green, it was Tomb Vipers. So we backed off and portalled back to town, with a big decision on our hands. We had come so far, it was really disappointing that we would lose the (almost entirely /p5) full clear at this point to those damned bugged vipers, but losing a character to such a ridiculous bug and not knowing if we would have been able to complete the journey would be really tough to get over. So after alot of debating, we took the WP up to the frozen tundra to continue on to the Ancient's Way and try to forget the fact that there would just have to be some monsters left to live out their days in the Halls of Vaught in peace. Sometimes you just have to make the tough decision.

Just kidding :p

Calabi wasn't going to let the full clear slip away now. It was either them or her. So she strapped on her 'Nadir' Helm and jumped back down the portal knowing full well in an instant it could all be over. We pasted ourselves to a wall where the vipers couldn't get us, and tried to come up with a game plan. I say "tried", because the valk instantly rounded the corner and woke them all up. CoS was cast, Slow Missiles was cast (I had no idea if it did anything to help with the bug, but I really didn't want to find out). In came the green, and then this happened:

O2S3M6I.jpg

Do you see what I see? The valk must be immune to poison, what a lucky break! Calabi stood exactly where you see her, and the snakes eventually came up to greet the valk. Kasim was vaporized, but the valk killed the vipers. Thank goodness they don't stand much of a chance against physical damage, they went down with no problem. We VERY SLOWLY cleared out the rest of the wing, and with a renewed sense of courage (mixed with extreme caution and terror) we started our second wing. There were only a few snakes in the end room, and the valk had no trouble with them as Calabi cowered around a corner, throwing decoys at them and keeping them blinded with CoS. This wing housed the dreaded Evil Urn, so we resurrected Kasim, put a decoy up where we thought (hoped) they would spawn, and hit the urn.

Vipers, great.:rolleyes:

Calabi tore outta there like you wouldn't believe, and threw a decoy into the pack. Kasim was dead instantly, the valk took on the boss, and the decoy kept the minions busy:

2JDGgKg.jpg

These mods sent shivers down my spine. This is the only time in my D2 career that I can remember being absolutely terrified of a boss because it had Teleportation as a mod. The last thing I needed was for this snake to tele close to Calabi and hit her with the green stuff. Luckily, the boss was too busy with the valk to teleport, so the fight actually went quite well. Here is the valk's victory shot on her pile of corpses(including Kasim's). Amazing. I couldn't believe this was happening, but I didn't want to get even remotely comfortable, as all it takes is for a couple poison spears to make it through and it's curtains. The third wing was easy, as it only had a couple snakes, and they never even let off any spears. Okay, it was time for Nihlathak's wing.

Here Calabi took a page out of Sissy's books and made use of the 'Black' flail she had muled in. We got a lucky break and didn't have any vipers in Nilly's room, but we did have one more curveball for us. His aura was Holy Freeze, so it was tough to track him down, and even tougher to get any decent damange in once he hit us with his frost inferno. So we crawled around the room while he teleported back and forth, raising minions and keeping Kasim and the valk distracted. We finally caught up to him, and were whittling him down when things went haywire. Kasim died (completely my fault for being negligent with the rejuvs), one of his minions went "frenzied" and exploded while Calabi was swinging her axe. Since she was super chilled, she had no time to switch weapons and CE the corpse. Nilly got to it first:

v2Eh1JS.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We still had the CoS helm on, so were down by almost 100 life from what we were used to, not to mention being on axe switch so our resists weren't maxed(although they are quite close on the axe switch now). We juvved (obviously), portalled to resurrect Kasim, and collected ourselves. Okay, no more funny business, and no more being stingy with the purples! We charged Nilhathak, making sure to switch weapons and stop attacking if there were any minions out at all. We tracked him down, and soon it was all over.

That was insane. I have never been so tense while playing D2 before. I would have been incredibly upset had Nihlathak gotten us with that CE after successfully taking on the Vipers, but thankfully Calabi's obsession with boosting her life seems to have paid off big time!

Well after that we decided to reward ourselves by immortalizing our most prized possession:

iPsdb0F.jpg

Now please excuse me while I go try and find some way to lower my heart rate.

[highlight]Conqueror Calabi the Axe-wielding Amazon, with Kasim the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 88, Hell Ancient's Way[/highlight]

Wow, great read, and congrats on taking on that extremely tough area! I don't really understand how you took a screenshot before hitting a purple, but whatever!

And for what it's worth the vipers aren't bugged, it's intentional. I also don't understand the valk being so immune, as their cloud attack actually does physical damage. Maybe your valk rolled high pdr gear? I think you are pretty safe if you have 25+ pdr.

Wow, great read, and congrats on taking on that extremely tough area! I don't really understand how you took a screenshot before hitting a purple, but whatever!

And for what it's worth the vipers aren't bugged, it's intentional. I also don't understand the valk being so immune, as their cloud attack actually does physical damage. Maybe your valk rolled high pdr gear? I think you are pretty safe if you have 25+ pdr.

Lol once I was away from Nilly I know I was safe enough to SS. Also, I have it mapped to the spacebar so the juv got hit at essentially the same time.

I didn't know it was intentional, that's interesting. As for the valk not taking the physical portion, maybe it somehow travels with the poison, so if the poison has no effect, then the physical damage can't be registered. Isn't that how CB/OW and those mods work, you have to actually do at least 1 point of damage for them to apply? I don't know, hopefully somebody knows as it would be interesting to understand how it properly works.

I was just grateful that she could stay in there, so I wasn't asking any questions!

I think most people consider it a bug (the amount of invisible damage they do)

@kestegs: great write-up! That sure must have been exciting. Quite sloppy play there with Nilly, lucky for you his CE has been nerfed.

As for the vipers, I don't think they are quite as bad as you make them sound, at least if you avoid moving like a merc (aka 'moron') along the length of the poison clouds. The poison clouds don't hit you very hard if you move straight sideways through them or if you stand still. And always WAIT a few seconds if you want to advance alongside where a poison cloud just was.

That said, I would not have voluteered to eat one from that Spectral Hit boss.

Also, an amulet or circlet of Life Everlasting with a high-end DR value is great against them.

You asked me earlier about some final thoughts about Sissy. I'll come back and write something about that later.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High