How Good Is Rune Word Sanctuary?

NoBozos

Oct 16, 2020
This is a collection of short videos demonstrating the many ways I use Sanctuary shield to render all missile and caster attacks virtually harmless. I'm using the shield on switch with my HC whirlwind barbarian. I'm playing SP, Hell, /p8. When I'm using my main attack skills my resistances are F-57/C-48/L-52/P-38. I don't talk in my videos, no need for it, the action speaks for it's self.

Skeleton Archers and Huntresses (while amped)
Skeleton Archers and Huntresses (Monster has Conviction)
Skeleton Archers, Huntresses, Dac and his minions.
Skeleton Mages, Claw Vipers and Corrupt Rogue Archers (note the Charge Bolt)
Souls and Skeleton Mages (while amped and mana burned)

I would say pretty good. Maybe even quite good.

Dang man cutting it close in a couple of those vids. Stay safe! Wanna see that op barb hit 99 :).

Reactions: NoBozos and maareek
IMO, if you're only looking at resists, then Sanctuary is just OK. Mal is quite high price to pay when cheaper alternatives (2 Pdiamond Mosers or 4 Pdiamond Pally shield) are more readily available.

So, I guess it's only depends on how much you need/rely on the charges..😅

Reactions: NoBozos
So, I guess it's only depends on how much you need/rely on the charges..
Sanctuary's faster hit recovery allows me to cast Life Tap or Slows Missiles faster after being hit, the +250 defense vs missiles along with the high all resistances protects me when I'm running around casting life tap or slows missiles. The big dex buff allows me to use life tap daggers (vanity) instead of wands. This barbarian over the last 3.5 months has found about 7 Mal runes - A Mal to make this shield, In My Experience, is an awesome investment.

Reactions: Babyhell
It's pretty garbage runeword. Stats it gives are quite unremarkable overall and comparable with much cheaper and easier to get options. Comparing to higher end options it's just bad and doesn't really help you hit any breakpoints. Slow missiles is cool but completely unnecessary as there are always better ways to get around ranged attackers. For physical damage dealers you use only one curse - Reaper's tool Decrepify and for casters Holy Freeze merc and/or Delirium/beta Delirium adds insane safety.
Sanctuary is one of those silly items that we like and use from time to time like Medusa's Gaze for procing LR, but otherwise have nothing to do on anything even remotely optimal.
2/10 would not make (even if I have two Sanctuary shields in my stashes it's probably from some giveaway or something >_>).

Reactions: Kinkara and ioupain
One oft overlooked benefit of Sanctuary compared to other runewords is the ease with which the actual Rune Word (Ko Ko Mal) is spoken. Just try it. Say Ko Ko Mal out loud and now try saying Jah Ith Ber or Lem Ist Io. How does one even pronounce Io?

Reactions: entwilighter
^Correct me if I'm wrong... Isn't the rune arrangement a homophone for that Beach Boys song?

Reactions: maxicek
Slow missiles is cool but completely unnecessary as there are always better ways to get around ranged attackers. For physical damage dealers you use only one curse - Reaper's tool Decrepify and for casters Holy Freeze merc and/or Delirium/beta Delirium adds insane safety.
My play style benefits greatly from slows missiles. I require having full control over what curses are used on what monsters and when. When I've used the items you mentioned, they've slowed me down considerably.

Hmm. I think one's appreciation for this runeword comes down to their playing preferences. If someone is into endgame MF, they don't get any use out of this. If someone is going for 99, they generally wouldn't either, though I suppose things like Bonehew charges were a thing at some point. If someone is untwinked, it's a crapshoot whether they actually end up with 2x Ko and 1x Mal to begin in single-pass or tournament play. If someone is playing a themed character, like max and his never ending love affair for 2H swords, they probably feel it breaks the spirit of their desired gameplay experience to use it. Many characters feel too powerful to really need it by the time they can afford it as well, or they simply have too many other needs to fill within the same item slots. There definitely is a niche for it though, and what's most important is knowing it exists and what it can do in case a situation arises where you might need to turn to it, so it's nice to see some content regarding it. Knowledge is empowering and such.

I see froz is taking a cheap shot at my Medusa's Gaze K/T assassin, but finding ways to break the mold and get good experiences out of less commonly used items is always refreshing to see.

If someone is going for 99, they generally wouldn't either
I'm 99ing the character in the videos. On top of what I showed in the videos, Slows Missiles renders Greater Mummy's unholy bolts and poison breath harmless. As well, it renders all Council Member's Hydra and Lightening Zap virtually harmless. It renders Infector of Souls and Ventars fire breath attacks virtually harmless. It renders Lightening Enchanted monsters with Charge Bolt virtually harmless. It doesn't render the HoV snakes poison attack harmless, but it slows it down to nothing.

On /p8 I can clear the entire Throne Room of Souls, Dolls and Greater Mummies with easy using my hc ww barbarian because I use Sanctuary and Life Tap dagger on switch. Being amped and facing the 3 worsts auras (M/F/C) doesn't slow me down much, either. A single charge cost less than $2k to repair. Just about any build that doesn't use a Tele staff on switch can both benefit and improve by using Sanctuary on switch for the SM charges.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High