Background-lore questions

twillight

Apr 5, 2009
Thanks to the internet and the gamer-community, I'm running through the ingame materials for lore, and I have some questions.

I'll keep all questions in this first post, so please return at times for more (I'll note when I'm done flipping the pages.)

#1: During the Sin War the High Heavens and the Burning Hells cast such powerful spells they threatened to tear reality itself.
Therefor as solution the angels stripped the mortals (aka. humans) from casting magic as they wanned.

Can someone explain me why this worked as a solution, and how could the seraphim just mutilate humanity so onesided?

#2: If Bartuc, the Warlord of Blood was vanquished in Diablo 1, how come we meet him in Diablo 2 (and would not surprise me if we'd met him in D3 too)? Heck, Bartuc was originaly destroyed even Horazon back than.

#3: Tristram is some meteor-magnet? First stone from the sky arrived in D1, then in D3 came another one... We ARE talking 'bout separate stones, right?

#4: What was Tyrael's plan with Marius? How was he supposed to sneak past Mephisto (and probably Baal), and how was he supposed to reach Hellforge, what an entire regiment of angels could not even reach... No to mention how was he supposed to get the hammer from Hephasto?
As Tyrael was obviously the mastermind of all the happenings of course I just say there was no plan... Heck, it was a miracle that Marius made to the Temple of Kurast and back with the Soulstone.

------------

#5: Sanctuary is FLAT, a "discworld", OR is a GLOBE?

#6: Westmarch is the northern or western neighbour of Khanduras?

#7: I never understood this building:
in Tristram we know there was the Horadric Monastery. It got ruined, and the locals built a church above it. Then came King Leoric, and at that point the shape and function of the building is lost to me. The building was at the very same time:
- The Church ofTristram
- The Cathedral of Khanduras
- *the resident (palace) of King Leoric*.
Over the question why a king thrones in a village, it seems totally undecided how that king lived in that building if you ask me.

#8: After The Warrior beaten Diablo in Tristram they made a celebration. Then he went East.
But then why did he return to Tristram? Obviously noone in the tavern knew him. Or I just see too much into this detail, and this is just because some monthes passed?

#9: What was so "difficult to comprehend" about Andariel?

#10: Why noone had a copy of the runes on the Tree of Inifuss?
Possible answer: Natural Magic. The pattern changes by time possibly.

#11: Why is Radamant "the Fallen"?

#12: Why we don't see the Soulstone in the forehead of the Dark Wanderer, not even in the opening cinematics?

#13: Where did Cain knew Mephisto used the Compelling Orb to control the Zakarum?
Possible answer: probably story-telling wise it was easier to give the character the line forward finding the orb preventing backtracking, or the confusion finding the parts of Khalim's Will early.

#14: Why you need to return to town for more help after destroying the Council of Zakarum?
Not to mention I don't feel the player got any help then.

#15: Is Asheara lesbian?

#16: The assassin's organization is called "Viz-Jaq'taar" or "Khral-Harzhek"?

#17: At the end of LoD Malah said:
"If Tyrael says the Worldstone must be destroyed, then it must."
The question arise: so the protagonist had a word in the matter? Tyrael had to have the agreement of a mortal to do so? And they gave it despite the prophecies?

#18: Where did the portal Tyrael opened led? Why was it the only way to "safety", why was it not enough to stay in the town of Harrogath? And no, this is not just "a feature to finish the difficulty", it was a REAL SPECIAL GATEWAY, according to what Decard Cain said.

--------------

#19: What is a grotesque?

#20: What is a rockworm?

Last edited:
Decidedly separate this from the questions if I am allowed:

I have to tell after the sources of Diablo 1 and 2 I could only found the achievements section of Diablo 3 and the cinematics. D3 lacks a manual, and Blizzard's page contains just some half-canon unusefullness (they couldn't even get the name of the anvil of Hellforge right).

There is no ingame lore, character-talk, monsters' taunts, quest-notes, gossips, and so on anywhere, so for the moment I am stuck, sry.

Wow that's a lot of questions:eek:

1. Humans are the descendants of both angels and demons, potentially greater than both. The Worldstone was tuned to limit their powers. See the Sin War trilogy of novels or the Book of Cain for details.

2. Some folks just won't stay dead.

3. Well the meteor in D3 was not really a stone...

4. Tyrael read the Lord of the Rings, so he figured Marius could successfully sneak into enemy territory in order to destroy a powerful artifact.

5. I guess its a globe.

6. West / Southwest. According to the map in the D2 manual.

7. In D3 there is a lcoation call Leoric's Manor, presumably he and his family lived there. They did not reside in the church / catherdral.

8. I don't think the warrior ever returned. He defeated Diablo, they celebrated then he left for the East.

9. Probably her ability to corrupt the Rogues, they were totally unprepared and only a few managed to escape.

10. Not sure, your guess is as good as mine.

11. It makes him sound cooler?

12. It sank into his brain, according to Leonard Boyarsky.

13. Cain knows everything, you just have to stay awhile and listen.

14. You're right there was no quest reward of any sort. Those cheap bastards.

15. Don't know, all the Iron Wolves were male though.

16. Possibly both. Same thing in different languages?

17. Tyrael did what he thought was necessary and the heroes deferred to him.

18. Somewhere far away from Harrogath, since the the destruction of the Worldstone also leveled Mount Arreat. Leaving only a giant crater behind.

19. A different type of Vile Mother (D2 Act IV).

20. Monsters in D3 Act II.

1. So you tell the same thing: the Worldstone and Humankind is made by BOTH angels and demons - but the angels somehow could do w/o the agreement of any of the others.
Need answer.

3. Ye, we talk 'bout a fantasy-world. Where a meteor is a meteor, whether it is a stone, a pixie, or whut.

4. LOL

5. The manuals disagree with you (D1 and D2 has the information it is flat, while D2 also refers it like a globe mentioning a "hemisphere", what I can apply to a circle too, but yet to see that use outside my apologist thinking)

6. And North, according to D1 manual.

7. Then I'd very much like to see the blueprint of the Horadric Monastery, as both the resident of Leoric and the church/cathedral was built over it.

8. Well, as Izual was also the Fallen, and Bartuc was the Bloody etc. I must assume all given titles refer to something.

12. Ok, I can go with that.

15. But Aseara got a "manly potion" every week from Alkor, and was fond of the girls of the local brothel...

16. Not likely. There is only the Galactic English What Even Giant Evil Space Bacteria Speak, and the One And Only Made Up Language to confuse the player.

17. From my point of view Tyrael did his own volition to become the Head of the Angels, Vanquishers of Demons and Enslaver of Humankind. But the question refers to the question, wether the heroes of D2 could just say "no, leave it alone" or "come back with a cleansing-spell", and Tyrael would have had to do it?

18. Not likely. Because Cain was in Harrogath the blink the Worldstone got destroyed. Maybe to the Secret Cow Level (given it is after-act5, and has the same portal) where the heroes got hacked. And that's why no new news about them ever since.

19. Compare it to the D3 Act 1 variant.

20. Compare it to the D2 Act 2 variant.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High