Arrested Development Mafia Game Thread

Vote: Drixx

Mistakenly thought this was twilight. If I remember correctly Drixx is always scum even if he isn't.

Given my role, or lack thereof, I'm as good a random mislynch for the town today as anyone.

As far as not claiming today goes, that's pretty self-evident. Right now the scum know which town players are in a private QT with another town player, but they don't know the pairings (although if Sathoris is town he may have just clarified their picture).

With 14 people, the game began with 7 tables. If the pairings are completely random (which I believe they are ... need to check if that was specified or not), it is more likely that the scum are each partnered with a townie than not, which would mean that in all probability, three table pairings are already (or will be tonight) known.

Sathoris potentially just gave them a way to bust 2 of the possible 4 remaining town/town pairings by revealing his pairing (assuming that he's both town and was being honest with his claim). At this point the majority of the damage is done. The idea behind withholding the pairing info on day 1 and 2 is so the mafia cannot intentionally break up the mini-mason groups. If Sathoris was being honest, they can now kill him or his claimed table mate and then kill some other townie and know that they've broken up two town/town pairings.

Sathoris has; therefore, completely obliterated the only advantage I can think of to withhold the information (assuming he's not scum).

I saw a second pairing bread crumbed, so I'm fairly certain a couple players took it upon themselves to make the decision for the rest of us. I'd reveal my pairing now, but it's possible what we've seen is scum trying to get such pairings revealed so they can break all the potential mason pairs up as quickly as possible ... or simply use their kills to create as much WIFOM and confusion as possible, depending on how they are going to approach the game.

I'll leave it up to my room-mate to decide whether to disclose our pairing.

Given my role, or lack thereof, I'm as good a random mislynch for the town today as anyone.

So you think that claiming pairings is bad, but revealing yourself as vanilla is good?

As far as not claiming today goes, that's pretty self-evident. Right now the scum know which town players are in a private QT with another town player, but they don't know the pairings (although if Sathoris is town he may have just clarified their picture).

With 14 people, the game began with 7 tables. If the pairings are completely random (which I believe they are ... need to check if that was specified or not), it is more likely that the scum are each partnered with a townie than not, which would mean that in all probability, three table pairings are already (or will be tonight) known.

Sathoris potentially just gave them a way to bust 2 of the possible 4 remaining town/town pairings by revealing his pairing (assuming that he's both town and was being honest with his claim). At this point the majority of the damage is done. The idea behind withholding the pairing info on day 1 and 2 is so the mafia cannot intentionally break up the mini-mason groups. If Sathoris was being honest, they can now kill him or his claimed table mate and then kill some other townie and know that they've broken up two town/town pairings.

Sathoris has; therefore, completely obliterated the only advantage I can think of to withhold the information (assuming he's not scum).

While mafia can intentionally break-up mini mason pairs, it is not without risk as it means they are going to get more scrutiny for being part of a "whole pair. At the end of the day mafia know up to 3 pairs and atleast 2 pairs (assuming 3 mafia). I'd rather town knows all 7 pairs then mafia know 2-3 and town knows 1 each.

So i'll reveal my pair and force more hands. Fred is my partner.

Also Vote: Drixx. I don't like your logic so far and revealing yourself to be vanilla while complaining about people revealing pairs feels very hypocritical.

Also Vote: Drixx. I don't like your logic so far and revealing yourself to be vanilla while complaining about people revealing pairs feels very hypocritical.

edit: particularly given that you had no pressure on you whatsoever.

I view having the leading votes with 7 hours until day ends as enough pressure to say something. Contrary to your poor assumption; however, I didn't actually claim anything. I specifically said my role (or lack thereof) in order to avoid claiming. There are a wide array of roles that might make the same statement I did, and only one of those roles has no powers. So why is that the only one you considered?

Also, the town has no way to know whether the scum are clearing out town/town tables or not, so there should be no scrutiny applied to pairings that persist for awhile. Now that a small minority of the game have decided to force a day one pairing reveal, the entire mechanic is just a way for the mafia to hide and confuse the town with.

Now that a small minority of the game have decided to force a day one pairing reveal, the entire mechanic is just a way for the mafia to hide and confuse the town with.

You feel quite strongly about this. Can you explain why without a wall of text, please.

Good news is my uncle is getting out of the hospital today!

Bad news is, I have to leave soon and probably will miss the end of day!

So ... I'll have to vote soon and will probably just go for whoever has the most votes at the time because I hate no lynch days.

Sorry to whomever that is!

Unvote: Pyro
Vote: Thy [\b]

Horrible reason to vote someone. A scummy way to abolish consequences of your vote.

Ignore lack of spelling and logic, phonestyle

Lol, I assume votes still count even if the rest of the post is bold....

Ignore lack of spelling and logic, phonestyle

This is how Drixx gets himself lynched every game

Unvote: Drixx

What constitutes pressure if 3 or 4 votes doesn't? Am I meant to wait until I'm only a vote or two from lock to say anything?

As a side note, something feels off about your play this game Sathoris. Normally you latch onto someone and pressure them. I was sure you'd pounce on Numbers for mangling my earlier post but you seem to be operating completely outside of your normal MO.

Franklin picking up my uncle from hospital is more important than this.

I've always said I hate no vote days.

If you had any sense you'd just start a lynch train on me and then I'd vote for myself and you'd be happy!

But as you didn't ...

Sorry, mate but as far as I can tell you're in the lead with votes!

And if I die tonight ... welll, I'd be looking at franklin! :D

As a side note, something feels off about your play this game Sathoris. Normally you latch onto someone and pressure them. I was sure you'd pounce on Numbers for mangling my earlier post but you seem to be operating completely outside of your normal MO.

Yes, well, it may come to that. But you always end up mingling with things so I'd rather get a read on you earlier than later. To confirm my thoughts, could you please answer the question I asked you a couple of posts back?

You feel quite strongly about this. Can you explain why without a wall of text, please.

The pairs thing is a mechanic that seems to have limited pro-town value, and the only possible way it can have value (sans a scum/town pairing resulting in the scum slipping up and revealing himself) is if town/town pairings can stay together long enough to trust one another and use the private chat effectively. In effect, the mechanic has a very narrow town value and is probably a net town detractor in all cases.

A day one forced claim drains whatever town benefit might be possibly derived from the pairings by giving the mafia all the info and allowing them to play the pairings to their favor. The info dynamic is even more skewed in favor of the mafia by the forced reveal, and in mafia, the info gap between the mafia and town is always dramatically shifted in favor of the mafia to begin with. I see no good reason to give them extra advantage,

I am tossing up between Zokar and Drixx at this stage, but I need to reread the thread.

I said in a previous game that i will no longer (barring some peculiar exception) be participating in any mass claims. This has not changed, I will not be participating in this one either.

Let me show you how sharing partners will work out. My partner is Goryani. Who is your partner Zokar?

I will not answer your question.

So you think that claiming pairings is bad, but revealing yourself as vanilla is good?

While mafia can intentionally break-up mini mason pairs, it is not without risk as it means they are going to get more scrutiny for being part of a "whole pair. At the end of the day mafia know up to 3 pairs and atleast 2 pairs (assuming 3 mafia). I'd rather town knows all 7 pairs then mafia know 2-3 and town knows 1 each.

So i'll reveal my pair and force more hands. Fred is my partner.

Except if they kill off their partner...

If you had any sense you'd just start a lynch train on me and then I'd vote for myself and you'd be happy!

But as you didn't ...

Vote: Thyiad

The idea behind withholding the pairing info on day 1 and 2 is so the mafia cannot intentionally break up the mini-mason groups. If Sathoris was being honest, they can now kill him or his claimed table mate and then kill some other townie and know that they've broken up two town/town pairings.

Couple of things. This is not necessarily aimed directly at you, Drixx, but your quote is convenient.

A) As Drixx says, scum already know which townies are paired with another townie, assuming no neutral shenanigans. As such, they have a 100% chance of breaking up a town-town tonight. They won't know exactly what pair, but I don't believe that will matter.

B) Assuming a conservative three scum, a no-lynch today, and no scum-scum pairing, then that leaves six out of seven targets, randomly chosen, that will break up another town-town pairing. (The math gets a little messier with today's lynch possibilities, but the concept is the same; a random shot in the dark still will more often result in a town-town hit.)

C) If scum are still shooting with the sole intention of breaking up town-town pairs at night three, then they're playing stupidly, as they're confirming players as town each and every time they do.

D) The town-town pairs don't know they're town-town, so it's not like a whole lot of masonry chicanery is going on anyways. Why do we care if town-town pairs are split up?

My point is - claim or don't claim, it doesn't really matter. At least, not when it comes to the threat of the big nasty scary mafia team might Maeby (not a claim) shoot someone.

and so... you want to make it easier for them to do this? o_O
By lynching players? Yes I plan to lynch players
Also, for the love of <insert acceptable object of affection here>, don't assume the scum will kill only people they know to be town/town paired. That kind of thinking is a trap that they could only hope and pray the town falls into. Do remember that the last (and only) time this mechanic was used, everyone in the mini-game was an SK, so the question of table partners and associated discussion that game was completely moot and irrelevant to this game.
To be fair several (most?) of us didn't realize it was all SKs until half of the players died, and that partner convo ended D1 or D2.. can't remember which
You do realize there is actual context behind what I said right? Or do you not care?

So an opinion has to be blatantly stated for it to be shared? If you had to guess based off of my posts where I stand in revealing or not revealing QT partners what would you think the answer is? Cause, I'm pretty sure, you'd be right! Shocking I know.

Anyway, I am torn between voting. Not sure I'll be around rest of the day, but will try to re-download tapatalk since I still only have forum runner.

On the one hand I have my QT partner (hmm, where do I stand on naming them or not numbers?) who isn't interested in trying to leverage an aspect of the game that could be beneficial to the town, and this is why I think they are scum.

On the other hand is one of the worst reasoning votes of all time by phar who doesn't even know who said what made him vote and if he did he didn't even read what the point was in the first place.

Vote: pharphis
I know what your accusation against Thy was and that's why I'm torn b/w the two of you. Hence vote 2 was employed
Let me show you how sharing partners will work out. My partner is Goryani. Who is your partner Zokar?
Lies, my partner is Goryani

edit: particularly given that you had no pressure on you whatsoever.
Agreed, but BA seems to have his panties in a bunch from my vote so it will stay there for now :D
I said in a previous game that i will no longer (barring some peculiar exception) be participating in any mass claims. This has not changed, I will not be participating in this one either.

I will not answer your question.

Except if they kill off their partner...

Vote: Thyiad
Oh goodie, you finally get it. THEY MIGHT KILL THEIR OWN PARTNERS INSTEAD OF TOWN-TOWN PAIRINGS ONLY. Glad you agree with us, finally.

But as you didn't ...

Thy, that is not what I meant. I hope for the best for your family.

I'll rephrase: it is a horrible decision to vote for the person with the most votes just for the sake of voting.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High