99 theorycrafting and stuff like that

What type of dmg are the blood star things the succubi shoot? I think it's magic but I'm not certain.

Unless these ones are different from other types of succubi in other areas (WSK), it's physical damage. I once made a PDR-zealot and he could handle the succubi he encountered through the game very easily (their damage is actually moderately low, it's just that it can build quite fast).

I've got another question I think I know the answer to:
What type of dmg are the blood star things the succubi shoot? I think it's magic but I'm not certain.

As uglyfred posted, succubus missiles apply physical attack damage. The confusion about them applying magic damage is based on Succubi (and Stygian Furies) having magic damage assigned to their A2 attack and the SuccubusBolt skill adding magic damage, but the succubusmiss missile applies their A1 attack damage (the same as their melee attacks) and doesn't reference the SuccubusBolt skill (and thus doesn't apply its magic damage).

The Hell Temptresses of the Halls of Vaught apply 47-84 base physical damage in Hell, but at /players 8 this increases to 67-120 (93.5 average). Aside from the usual 5% chance of a critical hit doubling this damage, it can be further enhanced by Might and Fanaticism. However, unless you take a wrong turn Nihlathak is the only possible source of these auras, when he spawns Aura Enchanted.

ok thanks to both of you. Sounds like I only need to worry about one aspect for gladiator's bane if I use it, then.

Based on observation, Nihlathak won't explode a corpse unless there's a target within its radius, and when there's only one type of corpse he selects the one closest to that target. Unfortunately, when there are multiple types of corpses he selects that which would apply the most damage: he consistently exploded Arach corpses even when my character was standing right beside (and even on top of) Ice Spawn corpses, regardless of the order in which they were killed.
Just another related question out of curiosity. I don't think it would really affect much or be worth focusing on.

Let's say that both the necro and a pet are in range of corpses, but only one of them is in range of an arach corpse, while the other is in range of ice spawn or other corpses. Will nihl select a random target to hit? Optimize so that both targets are hit? Or optimize so that the most damaging corpse (arach) is used as long as something is in range?

Hit 97 yesterday, I'm running CS with Hammerdin. I started rolling maps in hopes of finding one with as many potential exp shrines as possible...

couple of questions about that:

How many shrines I can get from RoF WP to CS? (not counting mana/health). I check also Travi and City of Damned. Travi has sometimes (rarely though) two shrines next to WP and Damned one. Do you think that is worth the time, given that I ever roll a map with shrines next to those two WPs also?

Or would act 1 shrine hunting be worth the time when I'm still 97 lvl? If so, how many shrines a good map has near the WPs there?

A sub-question on your question. What's the point in looking for exp shrines for CS running, since Oblivion Kinght's curses disable all shrine effects? For Diablo alone perhaps?

This:

For Diablo alone perhaps?

The idea is to kill everything at the 3 seals (eliminating any OK's). Then there's a little gap in time before Diablo spawns. That's where you go looking for an exp shrine. When checked all shrines you (hopefully) come back with an exp shrine to kill Diablo.

Personally i found it too much of a hassle to do so, but as you can see there's lots of people that prefer running that way.

CS maps can have up to 4 shrines (at least from what I've seen). 1 by the river of flame wp, 1 half way to the sanctuary, and 2 in the sanctuary itself. Making sure you have one of those maps is a good compromise between not using shrines at all, and going to other acts to find them.

@Cyrax: thank you :) Nice to know this; I'm planning to start running CS soon, so any info comes in handy.

Diablo takes forever to spawn, so a good act 1 map can have 10+ shrines very close to the open area WPs which can be checked in shorter time than dia uses to spawn. At lvl 98, this can easily chop 25-30% off the time it takes to get to 99, which is huge!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try my best to get one of those 4 shrines RoF/CS map. If there's additional 1-2 at Travi, the better. Those 4 shrine maps seem to be quite rare though, especially the one half way rof-cs spawns very rarely...

Helvete, I'll definitely keep that in mind if I'll continue as a hammerdin when 98+ Now the plan is to hit Nihla as a smiter. Do you think I should look for good a1 shrine map already 97-98?

I highly doubt it's worth getting A1 shrines for nihl, if that's what you're asking. Very short runs and no downtime to benefit from. You can easily get 3 shrines for nihl, but probably 4 with some effort.

There are also witches that will remove your EXP shrine ~50% of the time, so all the more reason not to leave to get one, and just grab shrines on the way.

I highly doubt it's worth getting A1 shrines for nihl, if that's what you're asking. Very short runs and no downtime to benefit from. You can easily get 3 shrines for nihl, but probably 4 with some effort.
Not worth it for A1, but worth it to get a good map to get those shrines regardless of witches or Nihl spawning as Cursed. Each shrine saves you half a run (15.5 seconds on average for me b/c I pick up stuff like flawless and select runes). Worth it to go to Act 1 or Trav if running CS. Each shrine there saves you ~45 seconds (assuming 90 second runs.

Not worth it for A1, but worth it to get a good map to get those shrines regardless of witches or Nihl spawning as Cursed. Each shrine saves you half a run (15.5 seconds on average for me b/c I pick up stuff like flawless and select runes). Worth it to go to Act 1 or Trav if running CS. Each shrine there saves you ~45 seconds (assuming 90 second runs.
I don't disagree with that, which is why I said you can get at least 3 shrines on a nihl run :p
I just said A1 wouldn't be worth it for nihl runs

Yeah, I'll try to get good map for Nihla as well. But that is a one long lvl to go yet.

I meant to ask, is it worth hunting shrines in A1 when running CS during lvls 97-98, when the gap between exp from all the unique packs + seal bosses compared to Diablo is not yet as huge as during the final level. I guess it could be worth it with a good map. I'll play around with maps, we'll see what I end up with. I guess any decent will do for now, 98-99 will be much more time consuming anyway. :]

You'll benefit from it, yes, but not nearly as much as for the last level. For 97-98 I just kept the players setting on 8 all the way and killed every bosspack. For 98-99 that makes no sense, so I only had it on p8 for dia himself, with shrine 80% of the time. I think I had 7 or 8 shrines I could manage to check in the time dia used to spawn. Added benefit is the screen shaking doesn't happen if you're elsewhere when it is supposed to start.

Just another related question out of curiosity. I don't think it would really affect much or be worth focusing on.

Let's say that both the necro and a pet are in range of corpses, but only one of them is in range of an arach corpse, while the other is in range of ice spawn or other corpses. Will nihl select a random target to hit? Optimize so that both targets are hit? Or optimize so that the most damaging corpse (arach) is used as long as something is in range?

Again based on observation, Nihlathak seems to target the closest enemy (even if there are corpses within radius of another enemy), then he selects the most damaging corpse within radius (and if there are multiple corpses of the same type, one is seemingly selected at random). So your Necromancer could be standing on top of a pile of Arach corpses and none of them should be targeted as long as any pet or mercenary is closer to Nihlathak (and not within radius of those Arach corpses themselves). However, since Nihlathak can move or teleport closer, this would be tempting fate...

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High