Random Tournament 2013

Jeor the Druid chugged through Act 1, with one NDE at the very end (more on that later).

Contained in the spoiler: my random tournament rolls and comments / future plans.

Forever skills:
Maul
Fury (rerolled Carrion Vine)
Summon Grizzly

I can use both Werewolf and Werebear with 1 point to use Fury and Maul. I like this roll -- it's both challenging and workable, neither over- nor under-powered. I will save every +Lycanthropy and rerollable (i.e. Crude etc.) Falcon Mask to make these shapeshifting skills workable. I'm also delighted with the Grizzly; I get a recastable summon who can deal damage, but isn't invincible. These are exactly the types of skills I wanted.

Skills for Normal
Heart of Wolverine
Volcano
Poison Creeper
Molten Boulder
Armageddon

So I get to be a fire elementalist in normal. I'm ignoring Poison Creeper (not needed in normal) and Armageddon (too many prereqs).

Armors:
Light body armor (rerolled Heavy body armor)
Great Helm
Spiked Shield
Gauntlets
Light Plated Boots
Belt
Falcon Mask

Pretty happy with this, too. Belts will be gamble-able with good mods later on, but they won't have four slots. (I like these reasonable hindrances). Rerolling Heavy to Light was lucky, although I may have preferred Medium. The Great Helm is, well, great -- I can shop 3os from Larzuk in A5 Normal and stuff it with topazes. Further, the Gauntlet pairing grants the possibility of a Sigon's combo later. It's not unlikely, either.

Club
Scythe
War Scythe

Thrilled with this draw; the only thing that would have been better would be to replace the War Scythe with a 4 or 5 range polearm. For my club rolls, I would have been unhappy with Maces and Morning Stars, happy with Flails and Mauls and Great Mauls, but a Club or Spiked Club type (for skills) was what I really wanted.

The Den of Evil was amusingly harrowing. The first monster pack, just steps from the door, was three zombies, a gargantuan beast, and three Fallen Shaman supported by their Fallen. I had to take that situation one monster at a time. The rest of the Den was quite empty because of this.

The tournament has made me break a few of my habits. For instance, I was saving Coldcrow for maximum MF in hopes of getting a Gull before I remembered: I can't use a Gull anyway! I chuckled and went and killed her. Things sped up a lot once I get 41/41 str/dex for a Scythe and Gambled one, but from the Monastery on, the Scythe fell behind and Molten Boulder did most of the heavy lifting. At the end of Act 1 it was level 10. It's a really fun, unique skill and I recommend it to those who haven't tried it. There's little that's more satisfying than aiming a boulder at a shaman, it killing fallen along its path, then exploding on the shaman and killing the fallen that were running away. It's easier to use in narrow, confined areas, and is really fun to use against the big monster types. When it exploded on a p8 Beast or Tainted it took off a third of its health, then burned some more away, and hit two or three others if aimed well. All in all, it's a really fun tactical skill, like, say, Charge.

I've never played with Maul or Fury before so I added points into those skills/prereqs, even though it weakens my elemental abilities somewhat. Maul seems really cool actually -- extra damage and stun, and you don't have to release the charges! I'm surprised people don't use it more; I'm guessing it isn't a good power-killing skill, but I will likely rely on it in later difficulties, assuming I solve the Lycanthropy problem somehow.

Everything was taken on /p8, including Andariel. Since I was taking her on /p8, I prepared well, and I'm sure glad I did. Andariel hit me with three quick poison sweeps, one after the other, bringing my health down to a sliver before I quaffed a rejuv. If I hadn't stacked Antidotes, I would be dead for sure. After that, I was more careful. My rogue (also antidoted) survived the battle. She dropped a skull.

Finds: 12 chipped topazes (too bad I can only wear two on myself and two on my merc!), but more importantly, I found two FHR grand charms. Perfect for my Druid with his terrible FHR. Currently I'm sporting 10 FHR light plated boots and 17 FHR belt (shopped from Fara), so they're stashed. Also found a 6 lightning resistance SC. I was excited to find Arctic Furs before remembering that I can't use the belt. :p Also found Gorefoot in the Outer Cloister, but they're unusable.

Jeor is sitting in Act 2, level 20, happy that he can buy magical belts from Fara. I'm planning on grabbing the Horadric Cube before killing Radament, since MF is more important than skills right now.

Last edited:
Belts will be gamble-able with good mods later on, but they won't have four slots.

Rares can be upgraded to a 4-slot belt that still has very reasonable STR requirement (58). Mesh Belts for crafting can be bought from Charsi in Nightmare (be aware that this is tedious work, though. NM Fara can also sell them and I think she has a bigger chance of offering them).

Rares can be upgraded to a 4-slot belt that still has very reasonable STR requirement (58). Mesh Belts for crafting can be bought from Charsi in Nightmare (be aware that this is tedious work, though. NM Fara can also sell them and I think she has a bigger chance of offering them).

Mmm thanks for the info. I'm generally okay with a 3-slot belt -- I even masochistically enjoy it, in a way -- but I would likely end up crafting something, mainly because crafting is so cool. :) I'll likely wait for NM Fara.

I have a question about gambling gloves/boots: how do I know what levels I can gamble Fortune and the like? I'm 99% sure from experience that "better" item types get worse affixes. I haven't found any information that backs this up though. Level 12 is good for gambling boots/gloves and that it gets better as you increase in level (learned from you low level MF guide). How do I calculate the difference for Gauntlets and Light Plated boots? Is the quality level of the base item taken into consideration? Light plated boots have a qlvl 17 higher than normal boots; is gambling them at level 29 the equivalent of gambling Boots at level 12?

Qlvl is indeed important.

As long as we deal with relatively low item levels and quality levels (i.e. not upper half elite or ilvl 70 or so) and not special stuff like circlets, orbs, wand and staves, the basic formula is alvl = ilvl - qlvl/2
(round down the division if qlvl is an uneven number. So if qlvl=15 then qlvl/2=7)

So yes, the "bigger" items require a higher ilvl to be able to spawn with same affixes. Gambling Light Plated Boots at clvl 20 should be equal to gambling Boots at clvl 12.

Qlvl is indeed important.

As long as we deal with relatively low item levels and quality levels (i.e. not upper half elite or ilvl 70 or so) and not special stuff like circlets, orbs, wand and staves, the basic formula is alvl = ilvl - qlvl/2
(round down the division if qlvl is an uneven number. So if qlvl=15 then qlvl/2=7)

So yes, the "bigger" items require a higher ilvl to be able to spawn with same affixes. Gambling Light Plated Boots at clvl 20 should be equal to gambling Boots at clvl 12.

Also note that when gambling ilvl = clvl (-5 to +4) i.e. the lowest ilvl spawned when gambling is clv -5 the highest is clv +4. Here is a link to Alvl tables (so you can work out what can spawn at what ilvl) http://diablo2.ingame.de/spiel/expansion/itemdb/affix_index.php?lang=en&version=lod&patch=111

I lost my characters, and feel it is against the spirit of this tournament to re-enter them, even though they haven't deeded. So, will someone roll me up a random class, random weapons, random merc?

logoutzero's Druid with Iron Wolf Lightning mercenary

Forever Skills
Rabies -> Shockwave
Solar Creeper
Summon Dire Wolf
Tornado [locked]

Normal Skills
Carrion Vine
Feral Rage
Werewolf
Maul

Items
Mask
Medium Armor
Buckler -> Large Shield
Light Gauntlets
Greaves
Light Belt
Wolf Head

Yew Wand
Grim Wand
Glaive

Edit: Logout scammed me into MP'ing with him, so I'll take a 2xClaw, 2xSword Assassin

Last edited:
Rolling now. And Gino?

srrw's Not-So-Random Assassin:

Equipment:

Bone Helm
Medium Armor
[strike]Buckler[/strike] -> Tower Shield
Gauntlets
Chain Boots
Belt

Class Specific Bonus:
Claws

Weapons:
Cestus
[strike]Flamberge[/strike] -> Broad Sword
Sabre

Forever Skills:
Blade Fury
[strike]Blades of Ice[/strike] -> Wake of Inferno
Wake of Fire
Death Sentry (Locked Normal Skill)

Normal Difficulty Skills:
[strike]Death Sentry[/strike] -> Locked
Mind Blast
Venom
Charged Bolt Sentry
Claw Mastery

Last edited:
[strike]Gino's Sorceress with Barbarian mercenary

Forever Skills
Ice Blast
Lightning Mastery
Telekenesis

Normal Skills
Fire Bolt
Static Field
Charged Bolt
Teleport
Frost Nova

Items
Great Helm
Light Armor
Small Shield
Light Gauntlets
Boots
Plated Belt

War Scepter
Scepter
Short Spear[/strike]

Gino's Necromancer with Barbarian mercenary

Forever Skills
Decrepify
Clay Golem
Raise Skeletal Mage -> Poison Nova

Normal Skills
Attract
Bone Armor
Poison Dagger
Confuse
Weaken

Items
Mask -> Full Helm
Light Armor
Bone Shield
Heavy Gloves
Light Plated Boots
Belt
Zombie Head

Wand -> Wand
Yell Wand
Long Sword

Edit: Reroll Buckler, Blades of Ice and Flamberge

Last edited:
Jeor has advanced to the Chaos Sanctuary and sits procrastinating before that task.

Act II was alot of fun, and it began with a silly NDE. I was running around killing beetles with half health and gulped down a few too many sparks, leaving my with just a tablespoon of health in my bulb! Whoops. Quaffed a couple rejuvs and took it more carefully after that.

I was looking forward to Molten Boulder in the Maggot Lair and Arcane Sanctuary but -- though it was good there -- that wasn't where it was the most impressive. It was really shining in all of those Hall of the Dead type areas. I remember several of those L-shaped hallways that were teeming with undead; the Boulders ran over all of the monsters and exploded on the Unravellers. Three boulders demolished the entire hallway in seconds.

Volcano started to eclipse Molten Boulder pretty quick though. I'd say it was about as good once it was level 3. It's not nearly as cool of a skill -- just a Blizzard-shaped thingy -- but it's still fun to use.

In Act 1, I sold everything that was worth a Minor mana potion per space, and a Light mana potion in Act 2. I'd estimate that I saved up about 500k in Act 1 and was at about 2 or 3 million (!!) at the end of Act 2. I got to see this because I wasn't gambling like I usually do, waiting for high levels to gamble Light Plated Boots and Gauntlets. This may be a helpful number to know... and I'm sure people like Jian and Merlin (who sell even more stuff) will make somewhat more than that.

I managed to gamble Sigon's Gauntlets on like my 4th try. I might go for the helm in Hell if I don't find it.

/p3 Duriel was shockingly easy. My merc and I gulped down many thawing potions and I tanked him while spamming volcanoes. I only drank like three cokes before he fell. He dropped Hsaru's Belt! I slapped that on right away.

Act III was fun and bountiful. I finally replaced my merc's 2 chip-t quilted armor with the flawed-t breast plate and greens and golds started dropping like crazy. All unusable bases--I found two Cathan's armors!--, but it was a nice gesture from the game nonetheless. Then I found this amazing, possibly end-game helm:

Falcon Mask
Defense: 13
Durability: 19 of 20
Required Level: 15
Required Strength: 28
Fingerprint: 0x13667c79
Item Level: 23
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to Lycanthropy (Druid Only)
+1 to Summon Spirit Wolf (Druid Only)
+2 to Maul (Druid Only)

Hooray! I can make a Lore out of that. The beginning of a solution to the Lycanthropy problem in Hell. I've been messing around with Maul and really like it -- I'm surprised more folks haven't made single-pass hardcore builds around this skill. It stuns monsters for a lengthy amount of time and gives a boost to damage and attack rating. I'll probably make a Maul-bear in Hell.

/p8 Mephisto was fun; his melee attacks and frozen balls took away almost half of my health which was scary, but I never let him hit me twice in a row. He focused on my bear whenever he was around so it wasn't too difficult.

So far it's been smooth sailing. I can sit back and let my Merc/summons Bear kill everything, but I usually play around by casting Volcanoes and attacking with my mana leech scythe. Act 4 went smoothly. Forge gave me a bunch of Emeralds and an Eth.

[highlight]Jeor the Fire Druid, level 34, Chaos Sanctuary next[/highlight]

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High