Bliss Version Switcher

No problem. If you watch my Singling 1.0.3 video, I show how to use the 'data' folder as well. But if you are using RRM/RWM, might as well use Singling since Singling has Orange Color Runes + Rune Word Mod + Modified D2gfx.dll all together :).

Good. Just confusing me, then. :) Not hard, I know ... :p

I'm definitely confused too. My impression is that this application makes runes orange in pre-1.11 patches, which is a horrible idea and shouldn't happen. The trade pool is all but dead as it is.

Edit: And don't even get me started about the increased stash size for pre-1.07 patches idea, yikes.

Edit2: I guess there's two active threads about this guy, which is confusing me. It's the Singling thing I have a problem with I guess?

Fabian,

The Classic/Expansion bundles are 100% Vanilla. They are just the patch files that I backed up and provided so that the community can quickly play any patch they want without having to download patch files etc. The bundles are designed to work with my version switcher.

Thyiad is not speaking about the bundles but rather Singling's support for color mods. As far as my logic goes, Red Rune/Color Runes/Orange runes are all the same. I personally don't think the color of the rune matters. Meaning that if the rune is colored, than it's colored, if it's not then it's not. What I'm trying to say is that if for example we already accept the "Red" color for 1.09d, this automatically means that we should accept "Orange" color. Are we really going to split an economy based on a "Red" vs "Orange" color alone?

I don't think Thyiad is really concerned with 1.09d's runes being colored, but probably 1.07/1.08 having the runes colored is a concern. Either way, my _opinion_ is the runes is not even close to being a concern for splitting an economy. If I was a "Vanilla-only" player and a SPF player comes up to me and says that "I'm 100% vanilla.. I just have my runes colored orange".. that wouldn't influence me not to trade with him. As I said before, is the color of a rune really a justification for splitting the user base?

The SPF as a whole needs to definitely come together and settle this business of splitting player bases. There are a lot of useless semantic separations at the moment that shouldn't exist.

These are just my thoughts, I definitely want the communities input on this.

"What I'm trying to say is that if for example we already accept the "Red" color for 1.09d"

We don't. Well, maybe we do, but I don't think I've seen anyone use RRM or CRM for any patch older than 1.11 in the six years I've been here. Maybe one or two exists, but certainly not as part of the trade/MP pool, as 99+% of pre 1.11 players are [1.xx SC Vanilla], not [1.xx SC FAM].

"The SPF as a whole needs to definitely come together and settle this business of splitting player bases."

This has been done again and again already. People who play early versions play vanilla, by downloading mattinm's vanilla version switcher files, which seems much easier to use than your version switcher to begin with, anyway. Maybe that sentiment has changed since last time we had this discussion, but I don't know why it would have.

The version switcher is working using the "FE reduced RRM" for 1.10 and the "RWM" for 1.13, which seems to be ok SPF wise (there are FAM after all). AFAIK the jury is still out on Singling, that's why I've installed the FAM ones.

Fearedbliss I appreciate you're trying to help but please don't speak for me. I'd rather speak in my own words then if it's misunderstood, it's no one's fault but mine.

As I said via PM, I don't want to see the MP/trade community split further. RRM/CRM is 1.11 onwards only. Right now that's how it stands and I don't want to see anything released to change that. Hence my concern of a load of files being easily accessed and some being FAM and some not.

The question has gone out to the community numerous times about removing the split between FAM and Vanilla and it's always come back "Keep them separate". I'm fine if that question goes out to the community but that needs to be a separate thread because not everyone is going to read every thread.

Right now then 1.13 Singling which has natural orange runes, modified.dll and the RWM is fine.
The version switcher is fine providing it does not bypass the need for game keys and is vanilla as Blizzard made it. IE no rune colours or RWM. If there is a flag to use RWM or RRM on 1.10+ so it can be vanilla or FAM that's fine.

Anything else needs to be on hold and unused before the MP/trade community becomes totally messed up.

Hmmm....I thought things were working. Now I open up multiple instances of 1.07 and every time I try to party my characters my computer shuts down. Thoughts???

That's definitely not related to the version switcher. However, make sure you are using 1.0.7 of the version switcher since I fixed a 'SavePath' problem. Your characters are actually being saved in your D2/save. Upgrade to 1.0.7 and then move your D2/save chars into your D2/expansion/<version>/save folder.

All this debate... I think I'll stick to playing my straight-install approach.

If people are noticing that their middle mouse button isn't working in versions after Windows XP, Make sure that you set the .exe to Windows XP SP3 Compatibility Mode. Since you are using the launcher to launch, go to the Diablo II.exe/Game.exe you are using, Right Click -> Compatibility -> Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Wow, great work fearedbliss. This is very impressive. I will have to try this out at some point as it looks very efficient and simple to use. I will probably ask you a few questions about getting set up with Colour Rune Mod (CRM) as I am so used to having different colours for runes so I can ignore them or get excited etc.

Hey iou,

Just follow the instructions for using the "data" folder stuff.. I'm thinking that CRM is in the form of -direct -txt, so just do that and you will be good to go!

- jon

Had a bit of trouble installing to a netbook and starting from 1.13d.

I have isos from my discs for earlier versions, and they're mounted, but when I add a new version and launch, I get 1.13, even when trying to start up a classic patch.

It's strange.

I'm currently downloading the 1.12A installers and will try again with a fresh install.

And I'll try tomorrow with the Mac and with d2 running in Wineskin and see if I can get that to work.

Will report back with findings on both counts.

You are probably doing something incorrectly. Make sure that you have the versions of D2 you want to play in the Diablo II/Expansion or Diablo II/Classic folders. Then the first time you start up the game via BIS, you need to start the version that's currently in the Diablo II folder. Once you do that you can switch to other versions. This is to make sure that the files and the version you want to play with BIS are in Sync.

You can download all the versions in the Bundles that I put at the bottom of the OP.

You are probably doing something incorrectly.

Doubtless.

Here's what I've done. Maybe someone can let me know where I've gone wrong.

1) downloaded installers from Blizzard.
2) Installed 1.12a
3) Upgraded to LOD
4) Put the Classic and Expansion folders from the big bundle in the Diablo II folder.
5) Put the Version Switcher in the Diablo II folder.
6) Started D2 to make sure it was working (A-OK).
7) Opened the Version Switcher.
8) Added a new entry, set to 1.12A Expansion, put the path in (C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Game.exe), and didn't bother with flags.
9) Launched from this entry, and D2 started.
10) Exited D2, added a new entry, set to 1.00. Made sure the isos were mounted in DAEMON tools.
11) Launched from the new entry, watched the files move around, then nothing. No joy.

12) Created another entry, set to 1.07 expansion, launched, watched files move around, then: no joy.

13) Created another entry, set to 1.12 Classic, launched, watched files move around, got a Classic start.

I'm thinking this has something to do with the CD-less versions that I pulled from the internets.

14) Created another entry, set to 1.13c Expansion, launched, watched files move around, got an Expansion start with 1.13 showing.

Pretty sure now it's something in the downloadable, cd-less versions that doesn't really like the old patches, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm happy to try whatever, but for now I'm way too frustrated and am just going to go to bed. I'll try again after work tomorrow.

Thank you for the program, FB! I hope to get it working, as I've never played most of the old versions.

It's not related to the online installer. Are you using UAC? UAC must be disabled since it stops the program from launching Diablo II. You probably notice that when you launch Diablo II or Game.exe in your folder, it asks you for administrative privileges.. this is the issue. Bliss Version Switcher launches Diablo II from within itself and thus when Windows (silently) asks for permission, it never gets to you, and the application silently fails. I don't think this is a bug since this is more of a way that Windows tries to handle its security. However, I'm going to see if there is a way for me to make java force the uac to pop up.

I don't use UAC since I always turned it off on Windows 7 and Windows 8. I also didn't notice this issue with Windows' security until one of my friends tried to use the switcher 1-2 weeks ago on a fresh installation of Windows 7 with UAC enabled.

If you do decide to disable UAC, run: msconfig, then go to Tools -> Change UAC Settings, and switch the slider all the way down, then restart. Then the switcher will work properly.

EDIT: Just followed your steps and yup! my theory was correct.. it's UAC. I found a program that some person made that elevates a java jar file to administrator. Sure disabling UAC works (and it's the way I run my system), but I will try to integrate this program so that other people not wanting to disable UAC don't have to.

http://jpassing.com/2007/12/08/launch-elevated-processes-from-the-command-line/

EDIT 2: Didn't use the guys program, I found a better and easier way to do it.

Last edited:
Doubtless.

Here's what I've done. Maybe someone can let me know where I've gone wrong.

1) downloaded installers from Blizzard.
2) Installed 1.12a
3) Upgraded to LOD
4) Put the Classic and Expansion folders from the big bundle in the Diablo II folder.
5) Put the Version Switcher in the Diablo II folder.
6) Started D2 to make sure it was working (A-OK).
7) Opened the Version Switcher.
8) Added a new entry, set to 1.12A Expansion, put the path in (C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Game.exe), and didn't bother with flags.
9) Launched from this entry, and D2 started.
10) Exited D2, added a new entry, set to 1.00. Made sure the isos were mounted in DAEMON tools.
11) Launched from the new entry, watched the files move around, then nothing. No joy.

12) Created another entry, set to 1.07 expansion, launched, watched files move around, then: no joy.

13) Created another entry, set to 1.12 Classic, launched, watched files move around, got a Classic start.

I'm thinking this has something to do with the CD-less versions that I pulled from the internets.

14) Created another entry, set to 1.13c Expansion, launched, watched files move around, got an Expansion start with 1.13 showing.

Pretty sure now it's something in the downloadable, cd-less versions that doesn't really like the old patches, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm happy to try whatever, but for now I'm way too frustrated and am just going to go to bed. I'll try again after work tomorrow.

Thank you for the program, FB! I hope to get it working, as I've never played most of the old versions.

It's not related to the online installer.
Actually it most likely is, I tried getting it to work for ages using the online installer with no luck. Worked first time doing a fresh CD install (for patches pre 1.12).

Hey Jcakes,

It's not the installer since I just installed it from the installer :). The problem is User Account Control in Windows Vista and higher. I'm releasing a new version in a few minutes that contains a script that will go through UAC in order for BIS to have permissions on those systems. I've also written instructions on how to disable UAC and a few other things related to this. It's not a problem with BIS, it's just Windows being overly protective -_-.

Since Diablo II.exe and Game.exe need permissions and BIS doesn't, BIS runs fine and then when you click the launch button, Diablo II.exe and Game.exe will just fail silently (Since they don't have permissions.. and you never get the "Are you sure you want to run Game.exe" prompt for you to accept it :( )

----

These will be the UAC related instructions in the application README:

Code:
User Account Control (for Windows Vista and Higher):
---------------
On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and higher, UAC is enabled by default and Diablo II.exe and Game.exe require administrative privileges.
Because of this, Bliss Version Switcher will not be able to launch Diablo II when you click launch (Clicking the button won't do
anything). If you are using one of these operating systems, you have two options:

1. Disable UAC.
To disable UAC, Press [Windows Key + R] and type "msconfig", then go to Tools -> Change UAC Settings, and switch the slider all the way down.
Then restart your computer. Now you can launch BlissVersionSwitcher.jar as usual and you are good to go.

2. Use the BlissVersionSwitcher_UAC.bat script to get the appropriate permissions
Launch the BlissVersionSwitcher_UAC.bat script which will ask you for administrative privileges, Windows will then give 
Bliss Version Switcher correct permissions. After this, BIS (and in turn Diablo II.exe and Game.exe) will have the permissions
necessary to launch.

This approach requires your system to know where your "javaw.exe" file is which is the file that Java uses to run its applications.
If you run the script above and it works, then you don't need to do anything, however if you get an error saying that javaw wasn't found,
your system probably doesn't have java in its PATH. To add your java directory to your path, do the following:

1. Find where you installed java, and locate the bin directory (Mine is installed at: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin)
2. Go to Control Panel -> System (or press [Windows Key + Pause/Break] button)
3. On the left click "Advanced System Settings" then navigate to the "Advanced" tab and at the bottom click "Environment Variables"
4. On the bottom box where it says "System Variables", find "PATH" and click "Edit"
5. Add the bin directory where java is installed to the end of the line and press Ok. Make sure there is a semicolon ( ; ) separating
the entries. Example: C:\Python33\;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin
6. Run the script again :)

EDIT: Alright guys, I've released 1.0.8 (Click the download latest version link at the OP again), it just includes a small GUI fix and the script that will get appropriate permissions for D2 :). Test it out and let me know.

Last edited:
I left out one step... I disabled the UAC about the third time after nothing happened, restarted, and the same issue. I'll try again after work today, unless I decide to play instead...

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High