I'm stuck on what element Sorc I want

Holy Dude

Aug 27, 2013
If none are better than the other, then could you at least explain which is best for:

-PvP
-PvM (as in completing all acts)
-PvM (as in chaos and Baal runs)

I know I'm gonna sound really difficult when I say this, but I prefer a pure element than a hybrid Sorc. Thanks in advance.

I neither PvP nor use single-tree sorcs, but I've seen a lot of comparisons come up...

Firstly, for PvP they're problematic if opponents are allowed to stack elemental absorb gear.

As for PvM, I think the lightning single-tree sorc is considered unequivocally to be the most practical. Any single-tree sorc will run into plenty of immune monsters. If you don't mind parking monsters (leaving them alone and moving on because you can't kill them), that's fine. If you want to actually kill every monster in the game, that means spamming Telekinesis to push monsters back while your mercenary kills them one-by-one. Cold and fire immunities are a bit more common, so lightning is the likeliest option. Furthermore, if one can get a mercenary with an Infinity runeword weapon, the Conviction aura breaks a greater portion of lightning immunities than cold or fire (basically, a whole lot of lightning immune monsters have resistances below 117%, so a level 12 Conviction knocks it below 100%, but for fire it's the other way around and most monsters that are immune have resistances that go above 117%). Gear that gives -% Enemy Lightning Resistance can then operate on anything that isn't immune.

I neither PvP nor use single-tree sorcs, but I've seen a lot of comparisons come up...

Firstly, for PvP they're problematic if opponents are allowed to stack elemental absorb gear.

As for PvM, I think the lightning single-tree sorc is considered unequivocally to be the most practical. Any single-tree sorc will run into plenty of immune monsters. If you don't mind parking monsters (leaving them alone and moving on because you can't kill them), that's fine. If you want to actually kill every monster in the game, that means spamming Telekinesis to push monsters back while your mercenary kills them one-by-one. Cold and fire immunities are a bit more common, so lightning is the likeliest option. Furthermore, if one can get a mercenary with an Infinity runeword weapon, the Conviction aura breaks a greater portion of lightning immunities than cold or fire (basically, a whole lot of lightning immune monsters have resistances below 117%, so a level 12 Conviction knocks it below 100%, but for fire it's the other way around and most monsters that are immune have resistances that go above 117%). Gear that gives -% Enemy Lightning Resistance can then operate on anything that isn't immune.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll make a light Sorc, but I might just at least put a point into Fire and Ice Bolt. Unless I can make a Tri-element Sorc. Would that be any good?

Single points into Fire Bolt or Ice Bolt, unless it's for prerequisite purposes, wouldn't be useful. Just go go full lightning in that case.

People have complained that tri-element sorcs don't hit hard enough because they can't invest into synergies the way a dual-tree sorc can (a dual-tree sorc would usually just be, say, one that mostly stacks lightning skills, but also maxes Frozen Orb as a backup against lightning immune monsters). It is true that they have less overall damage output, which is why they'd be unsuitable for say, CS runs. But they can kill every monster in the game by themselves.

If you do go the tri-element route, be prepared to kill most mobs much slower than a lightning sorc. Everyone uses Frozen Orb for the cold skill. The lightning skill I used was Charged Bolt, although I've heard of other skills being viable unsynergized. The fire skill should probably be either Fire Wall or Hydra. I've seen both.

There is also a ton of great gear that will lower broken immunities to low lite res quite easily like Griffon's or crescent moon. Lite sorc is pretty well established as best Baal running sorc, and I'd argue it's no worse than a blizz sorc for CS runs (better than blizz imo)

I can easily get -50 Lres on my own Javazon build, and aim to do so every ladder.

Getting Infinity on your merc is necessary, but that means that every broken immune will have at most 49% Lres.

I can easily get -50 Lres on my own Javazon build, and aim to do so every ladder.

Getting Infinity on your merc is necessary, but that means that every broken immune will have at most 49% Lres.

Thanks you three. I've decided I will make a lightning Sorc. Maybe, just for immunes, I will put a point in fire and ice bolt. Either that, or I'll just let my merc kill them.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High