Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

I realize this and agree. Although I can still rate one above the other and books tend to do it for me as a more 'personal' journey.

That said I've become good at treating books and movies as entirely separate entities, so whilst lotr and the hobbit are completely different they are still enjoyable.

I do the same, I just get over the difference from one to the next.

I am a bit drank. But it is okay, I was dranking with roiends because it is there 18th birthdayt. I know 18 isn't the legal drinking age, but we are in colleg so we celebrate things a bit differenty. We played circle of death adn I lost een though there isn't a loser in that game.

Seconds what Dry said. 18 is legal in Australia. In fact it is illegal to not get drunk when you are 18.

Also I will go riding with you too.

can I also come riding? you'll have to give me some notice as i'm currently rebuilding my bike. mountain biking like men right?

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

YEEEAAAAH BOOII!

arab-drift-o.gif

Just typed donut bike in google and that was one of the pictures that popped up or I made it myself, not sure :p.

Not to dismiss or undervalue reading, but my mind goes red every time somebody says 'Yeah, but the book is always better that the film'. It's such a elitist, false romantic thought ... I mean, come on ... Sometimes - yes. Sometimes - no. Totally different meidum; you can't really compare. Some things work out better here and some better there. It's like saying that broccoli is always better than the pork in a way that's suggesting that broccoli is meat.

I completely agree with this. They are very different mediums. I loved the LOTR movies and I thought the changes Peter Jackson et al made, made the story much, much better. For example in the books, Faramir doesn't even blink at the Ring. PJ said that took a lot of the power of the Ring away, and I think he was right - so he had Faramir struggle intensely with it and ultimately overcome it. That made it a lot more powerful, IMO.

The books ... I loved them as a child, and they are unreadable as an adult. (ducks and hides from flung projectiles) They are. My husband valiantly slogged through them and at the end pronounced Tolkien "high as a freaking kite" while writing them. I refused to accept that an Oxford don and friend of C.S. Lewis could possibly smoke anything other than a genteel pipe now and then. Hubby pulled out the description of Treebeard which went on for pages and pages about various "leafiness" and "twigginess" and "branch-like qualities", all of which could have been reduced to "he was a tree person" or some such. I was unable to counter hubby's logic at this point and had to concede the perhaps JRR was on the wacky tobacky.

Very disillusioning.

Quote for lost, but Corax nailed the book vs movie thing.

I really, really hate my life.
*hugs
I completely agree with this. They are very different mediums. I loved the LOTR movies and I thought the changes Peter Jackson et al made, made the story much, much better. For example in the books, Faramir doesn't even blink at the Ring. PJ said that took a lot of the power of the Ring away, and I think he was right - so he had Faramir struggle intensely with it and ultimately overcome it. That made it a lot more powerful, IMO.

The books ... I loved them as a child, and they are unreadable as an adult. (ducks and hides from flung projectiles) They are. My husband valiantly slogged through them and at the end pronounced Tolkien "high as a freaking kite" while writing them. I refused to accept that an Oxford don and friend of C.S. Lewis could possibly smoke anything other than a genteel pipe now and then. Hubby pulled out the description of Treebeard which went on for pages and pages about various "leafiness" and "twigginess" and "branch-like qualities", all of which could have been reduced to "he was a tree person" or some such. I was unable to counter hubby's logic at this point and had to concede the perhaps JRR was on the wacky tobacky.

Very disillusioning.

Lol. I haven't read them as an adult, so I can't argue.

It's snowing, Le sigh.

It's getting very cloudy here and is probably going to rain.

(I guess we are doing weather bulletins now?):coffee:

I really hate my life. Or more specifically, my body's devolution.

Ok so I have to live with digestive and bowel issues. That sucks.

But for many years - already in my late teens - I've suffered from sore legs. That got worse. Knowing the fate of my family I decided to just pretend it wasn't there. But then, now 5 years ago, a doctor had to do some prodding and within 24 hours my legs were bandaged up to drain out moisture and waste. Without warning, unable to shower for a week, diagnosed with lipoedema which can't be cured and cursed with the lifelong prison of medical support stockings.

I was lied to that most people find them beneficial and the pain will get less.
It got worse. My legs feel like they're permanently bruised. Which they are in a way. My feet suffer - tight stockings around them leave my forefeet swollen and walking isn't improved by wearing these torture devices.

Then, now 2 weeks ago, I was getting a checkup. The doctor suggested that given my enduring pain and suffering, and given how thin my legs had gotten, I should see how it goes without the stockings. That felt as a relief but in the back of my mind I felt something was wrong.

Whenever something sounds too good to be true, it always is, isn't it?

The past week the pain's gotten insufferable. I'm now thorn between evils - stockings and severe pain in feet and ankles with walking difficulties, or no stockings and heavy pain in calfs and walking difficulties.

There's no cure.
Every checkup I've mentioned the pain. Every time I was told tighter stockings would cure it. They made it worse.
I was then told I am unlucky as most people profit from the tights.

How is that helping?
A childish thing to say but it does feel like it: aren't I already unlucky enough? My other disabilities already disable a normal life. I always have to be careful. I'm slowly turning into a monster.

Evolution has failed us. Even the gods cursing Medusa were kinder.

That completely and totally sucks, Vivi.

I'm devoluting as well, but not as bad as your situation. Bits of me keep getting worse and I'm in pain most of the time too.

Don't know if you are the praying type, but I am, and I will pray for health and healing for you, or at least comfort and relief and maybe some better doctors.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High