Warhammer 40K Mafia Game Thread

you know ime in thetehetetereehree games ath tih thi ath ath ath tia right now and i dont want eo to heare your wehining. so suck it up there aussie bouy. hey you know what its freiday foe me. woo howwoo.

woew thjat wpas terrroble.

Dude, do you want some headache pills? Sounds like you're going to enjoy waking up.

Vote: Phillinicus For the same reasons stated yesterday which have also been restated today by others.

I'm also quite suspicious of Sathoris for the name claim thing as stated in my last post and Drixx. He is playing the LAMIST card too much imo.

"We must be unsleeping in vigilance, swift in judgement, merciless in deed."

Phillinicus (4): Drixx (308), Gwaihir (320), Sathoris (336), Thundercat (341)
Drixx (2): Pharphis (281), flubbucket (304)
Sathoris (1): Zauper (315)
Bad Ash (0): [STRIKE]Sathoris (264/284)[/STRIKE]
Pharphis (0): [STRIKE]Sathoris (284/336)[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
So, to quote myself, I'd like to hear an actual justification of Sathoris' attempt to get name claims. Not, 'oh, mafia was dumb once and didn't claim something everyone knew was meaningless'.

He is absolutely my #1 for potential scum right now.

You can want a lot of things but if you're unable to accept what I've given you then you can wait a long time because there's nothing more to it. Stop digging.

Ok, I have a bit of catching up to do, so excuse my multi quotes. First off from last day phase though, these two wonderful quotes.

I know this is incredibly convenient for me and all, but I have to pick up my girlfriend. I'll be back around 4:30 PM EST, which is 30 minutes before day end I think. If I am going to be locked, please hold until then if possible. I'll have to make a post then, don't worry, it's not going to be some WoT but just a response if I am going to be locked. It's in the town's interests to hold until then, so please do so.

I'm back. I'm not sure what to say since I've said what I said, if people still wish to vote me then feel free to do so. The 30 minute thing was just going to be me revealing my role and all that before dying, it wasn't supposed to be some cheap trick. I'll be around for the rest of the day phase.

How are people letting this slide? Really? "Hey everyone don't vote for me until I get back because its in the towns interest!" "Hey I'm back, yeah I got nothing to add, we cool? Cool."

Not picking on the RL events here due to the holiday, but this just screams "Hey, maybe I can cause a mislynch by promising information, and then provide nothing!"

Well that's surprising. I still feel like Phar and Phil are connected in some way.

I've been saying this forever Phar = Phil, Phil = Phar, Why does no one believe me!?!?

Well like previously mentioned I think Phil and Phar could be connected and Drixx and someone else I'll need to go back and look. I feel like they seemed to be acting in a way two seperate mafia factions would.

Could also be one mafia group that had a bonus kill as well.

Then explain why instead of just saying so over and over. Walk the walk sorta thing.

Wowsa, a mafia group with a bonus kill? That's specific. What made you think of that?

I prefer to talk the talk.

More name discussion, are you guys just going to play chicken the entire game or is someone going to cave after all this? I'm pretty sure Sath/Phil/Phar/BA can all sit here and play "Name...that...jackass!" all day with eachother but that doesn't sound very fun for the rest of us.

But you did hit relevant discussion in here, amazing! What is this talk of a bonus kill? Do you mean like a vig shot kind of thing, as in you don't expect we will see it again? Does that seem more likely than another group/faction?

Sathoris prolly asked for my name reveal because I wasn't very active during twilight or the first day. I'm more interested in participating now.

Anyone have any ideas other than a bonus kill for mafia as to why two people died last night? Do names really hold any value? I have a feeling that there is a recruiting ability or "conversion" ability that can be used to turn roles against their original alignments. Kind of like the flood or something (Halo). That is just based off of what I've read in flavour texts so far, so I'm not sure if I can read too much into it. Is a serial killer role likely in this game?

Sorry for the scrambled paragraph, just trying to get my ideas out of there quickly.

Why were you in a hurry to get your ideas out quickly here?

Oh, I forgot. The way he phrased his post early "in light of blah blah blah" made me think this was the first time this happened.
Interesting thought but Sathoris isn't willing to tell us anything

I have to mistrust everyone to be effective

You forgot? How did you forget already? Unless you don't need to look at the day opening post to see who died that is.

Please don't misconstrue what I've actually said. I didn't say I wasn't interested in doing anything, I said I had nothing to add because I didn't enjoy twilight and skimmed most of it. I'm here now and obviously participating.

Yes you are here now, after a lot of attention has been brought your way, amazing how that happens.

I'm glad you mentioned the lurkers.

Always mention the lurkers.

Always. ABL - Always be lurking.

Are you being serious Drixx? Asking the mod such a thing?

You've been a mod now. How would such a question make you feel if you were the mod and a player addressed that question?

At first, I thought Phil's comment about you not mentioning never been mafia was more of a joke and something to not take seriously. But after the post you made with the mod question, I'm starting to think he might be on to something.

As for the whole name thing. At first I wanted to believe Sathoris had a strong reason to ask for names and not reveal any more information. That could be either a town informative role, a mafia trying to cause distraction, a neutral looking for a specific, etc.

But when he was offered the chance to reveal first and others would as well, he still refuses to do so. That raises some flags up with me.

I'm telling you man, a giant game of chiken is happening right before our eyes!

By the by, why would the host reveal names on night kills if they were in any way significant?

Some of us have lives, work, and other Mafia games to attend to.

Oh, and I'm about to go to bed, so not interesting at all I'm afraid.

And once again an amazing string of posts from our pal Jason, thanks for your contribution....

It's probably me. I'm guessing that Guardsman xxx are not mafia, which seems safe. I'm also saying that Guardsman xxx may not be the naming convention for town power roles, and my belief is that it is not.

Drixx: I didn't do the best job of reading yesterday's posts by Phil. Can you give us a snapshot of his posts and why they were scummy?

I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion that Guardsman xxx are not mafia or power roles, and I don't think thats a safe assumption to make at this time without solid proof.

I don't believe there was any information at all about their role or even alignment. They were all simply "Guardsman <name>" in the reveals. That could mean they are vanilla I suppose. Anyone who has a different title could enlighten us, but that's probably not the greatest idea ever.

That's a terrible idea. Anyone that is town and has a different name (and has a power role associated with that name) would only cause unwanted attention to be drawn to them, in exchange for what? Clearing up this name claim fiasco?

I'll be a little more explicit:
This is false. It's pretty apparent from my posts... All town power roles are not named 'Guardsman xxx'. I will neither role claim nor give you my name at this time.

This is why I am very highly suspicious of Sathoris' attempts to get name claims.

And this is exactly something I didn't want to see.

You can want a lot of things but if you're unable to accept what I've given you then you can wait a long time because there's nothing more to it. Stop digging.

No.

I am town, I have made a claim. Given that, I would ask other town members to back me and pressure Sathoris until he claims or gives more information.

If you are town, then if your goal must have been 'expose town power roles', and you have succeeded in exposing me -- not really a pro-town move.

If you are not town, then like I said earlier, it makes sense for you to look for names under the guise of something else because names could help you target at night.

If you won't even explain why you think it was a town move, the only conclusion is that it was not.

No.

I am town, I have made a claim. Given that, I would ask other town members to back me and pressure Sathoris until he claims or gives more information.

If you are town, then if your goal must have been 'expose town power roles', and you have succeeded in exposing me -- not really a pro-town move.

If you are not town, then like I said earlier, it makes sense for you to look for names under the guise of something else because names could help you target at night.

If you won't even explain why you think it was a town move, the only conclusion is that it was not.

For god's sake. I didn't address you at all. You chose to interact with me and you decided to stupidly claim like you did.

Well done, you just royally screwed yourself.

You forgot? How did you forget already? Unless you don't need to look at the day opening post to see who died that is.
I've had a busy week. I'm forgetting tons of things.

Also, don't you think I'd remember much better that names were revealed on death if I were mafia?

If Zauper's claim is to be believed, and I find it highly likely he is telling the truth, then Sathoris needs to go as soon as possible. There's almost no positive things to come out of claiming names for town, and now that Zauper has shared this information with us it seems like a perfectly valid reason to vote for Sathoris. I'm definitely not going to claim my name now, because in doing so I'm not helping town at all and only helping mafia. I don't think mafia would have much trouble name-claiming in this game anyhow, so it's not like Sathoris was in any kind of immediate danger. It just seems like some kind of LAMIST I'll name-claim if you name-claim, so what's the big dealio?

Vote: Sathoris

@Sath,

Did you want name + "guardsman" or whatever distinction a player has? I don't know if that was what you meant and I don't remember anyone being specific about this.

As for Drixx still hounding me about this twilight stuff. I've said it before, and will say it again, twilight was filled with like 4 pages of mostly spam and incoherent confusion that I'd rather not have subjected myself to. It's not like I completely skipped it, just skimmed through most of it and couldn't pick out any information that I saw useful. The posts I made were just that: addressing what I thought of it and reiterating it since Pyro brought it up again.

My OMGUS vote on Sathoris didn't have any real backing at the time, just a suspicion as to why someone would want name claims. It's not like my vote was ever going to create a train when I only had an inkling that Sathoris was scum. No one else would have jumped on that at the time. But with Zauper's newly claimed information, it seems like my suspicion of Sathoris' intent might have actually picked up on something.

I can't recall what other posts of mine people had issues with, so if you do have a question or some kind of comment on why you think I'm scummy, please explain in detail and I'll respond as to why I wrote that.

This bothered me this morning before work when reading the story, but I didn't have time to post it. Does it matter how the characters died in the story? For example, Praetus (Jcakes) "his face completely clawed away" and Mallear (kesticle) "His hands clutched at a lasgun wound in his gut. It wasn't daemons that killed Mallear. It was one of us." This looks to me like a clue that kestegs was killed by Mafia and Jcakes was the target of an SK.

Still catching up reading the day's posts.

Vote: Phillinicus

Dude, do you want some headache pills? Sounds like you're going to enjoy waking up.

Vote: Phillinicus For the same reasons stated yesterday which have also been restated today by others.

I'm also quite suspicious of Sathoris for the name claim thing as stated in my last post and Drixx. He is playing the LAMIST card too much imo.

Yes I'm currently swallowing all the aspirin in the world. Thank you!

No.

What am I missing here?

My face is sliding into the floor so concentration may be the issue, but where is the claim and how is Zauper "screwed?" Is it simply, "I am town??"

For god's sake. I didn't address you at all. You chose to interact with me and you decided to stupidly claim like you did.

Well done, you just royally screwed yourself.

You made an argument in response to me (namely, that name claiming would have no impact on them because power roles shared the same naming convention as vanilla). I pointed out that this was false. You decided to interact with me. I was considering claiming anyway.

If your argument is correct, that there is no reason to not name claim, then you should have no trouble doing so -- using your own argument.

Flubb: I claimed a town power role, and stated that at least some town power roles are not (at least not all) named after the 'guardsman xxx' convention. I neither claimed a specific name nor role.

You made an argument in response to me (namely, that name claiming would have no impact on them because power roles shared the same naming convention as vanilla). I pointed out that this was false. You decided to interact with me. I was considering claiming anyway.

Well for one the argument you listed, 'name claiming no impact' wasn't a response to you it was a standalone comment. Then you posted in response to me saying it wasn't true. I then responsed with this:

Who said anything about guardsman.

Indicating I wasn't talking about the guardsman prefix. And you were considering claiming anyway? Obviously you have something else, something bigger going on or else you wouldn't claim out of virtually nothing. I'm sorry you've made yourself a target, but it's all been your own work.

People need to stop getting their panties in a twist over something as 'harmless' as asking people's names. See the way BA handled it? Just drop it if you don't want to, don't talk it to death and draw all kinds of conclusions around it. It was meant for me as a way to gauge some reaction, as I always do.

If Zauper's claim is to be believed, and I find it highly likely he is telling the truth, then Sathoris needs to go as soon as possible. There's almost no positive things to come out of claiming names for town, and now that Zauper has shared this information with us it seems like a perfectly valid reason to vote for Sathoris. I'm definitely not going to claim my name now, because in doing so I'm not helping town at all and only helping mafia. I don't think mafia would have much trouble name-claiming in this game anyhow, so it's not like Sathoris was in any kind of immediate danger. It just seems like some kind of LAMIST I'll name-claim if you name-claim, so what's the big dealio?

Vote: Sathoris

I can't even formulate a proper response to this. You've done my job for me. Lynch Phil please.

@Sath,

Did you want name + "guardsman" or whatever distinction a player has? I don't know if that was what you meant and I don't remember anyone being specific about this.

As explained in this post. I only wanted a name. Besides, and this goes for Zauper as well. Why on earth would people hint at or even claim anything other than guardsman when that is obviously something VT's have. "Oh you're wrong with the whole nameclaiming thing, cause I am a General and therefor have an awesome PR"

Vote: Phillinnicus

I think he is scum and I think his alignment could lead to Pharphis' as well.

Zauper planning on claiming doesn't make any sense, and I do not believe Sathoris was interacting with him in such a way that deemed his role announcement.

As explained in this post. I only wanted a name. Besides, and this goes for Zauper as well. Why on earth would people hint at or even claim anything other than guardsman when that is obviously something VT's have. "Oh you're wrong with the whole nameclaiming thing, cause I am a General and therefor have an awesome PR"

You also said:
Sample PM's on the first page confirm guardsman is a title we all have, including mafia. The name is the only variable hence my interest in them. Brownie points to Pharphis for raising the issue.
This is false. I do not have that title. Your post -- and Pharphis -- are in response to mine.

Why would you ask people for their names if there is a risk that they claim something like General blabla, giving away their power role? Or are you saying that in response to your request, town with PR should have fake claimed?

BA:
There are scenarios in which an early claim by town power roles make sense, in the absence of them providing information.

I backed down from a full claim because he was asking for a certain piece of information. I wonder if the rumored conversion power can only target certain people.

I'm probably going to vote phil but I'll do so tomorrow if needed. I hate that half of the players aren't posting but I also know it's still technically a holiday so I'm hoping by tomorrow we can get some other opinions out there before day end.

I'm not really getting a scum read from Sath, still. In hindsight I think his play wasn't very crazy though it may or may not have caused us a power role (whether you blame sath or zauper or the rest of us for talking about nothing else)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High