Arming your Hirlings.

Killboy

Sep 2, 2013
Hey guys. I've started using the Rogues/Warriors/Barbarians, etc. that you can hire.. They turned out to be very decent and useable. :punk:

Problem is, when I go to equip them with some nice armor and swords, half of the time, they "can't use this yet". Yes, they have the skills to, they just don't. How can I know if they will be able to use an item so I don't waste gold on buying them stuff?

Last edited:
They have strength and dexterity just like your character. If the item requires higher strength or dexterity than the merc has then they cannot use it yet. If it's "I can't use that" then the item type is incorrect. You can check Arreat Summit what weapons they can use. All can use body armor and helm but only Iron Wolves can use shields.

Anja

Act 1 mercenaries can use only bows (no crossbows), those from act 2 are restricted to polearms, spears and throwing spears, act 3 mercs need a sword and they can also wear a shield. Act 5 mercs wear a sword with no shield. Mercs cannot wear any class-specific gear, except act 5 mercs who can wear barbarian helmets.

Adding onto AnjaS comment, Strength and Dexterity (+Vitality/Energy) are commonly known as Attributes.
Skills are the class-specific magic/elemental/summoning 'skills' the character can develop.

Each mercenary has its own specific benefits, although the Act 3 sorcerers are quite limited (and one is damage-bugged, so is even less efficient.) But play around will all of them, and see which you like the most.

Welcome to the SPF, and feel free to ask questions when you need! :wave:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High