You've corrupted me (and I think I like it)

Goryani

Aug 7, 2005
For the first time in... ever, I'm playing a SP character. Not just have: play. I'm enjoying it, but I'm a bit out of my element at times.

I've had my first ATMA crash/corruption. I made the mistake of putting an Essence of Mephisto Poop into an ATMA stash. Not long after, ATMA crashed and caused the stash to be saved as a 0kb file.

Do Essences combine into the skill/stat reset item in SP? Does the skill/stat reset item work in SP?

Unchanging maps are awesome. My Hell map takes ~7 teleports untill I can cast static on Mephisto.

But I've noticed something else: drops are not as varied as I'm used to. I get bows. Lots and lots of bows. Magic bows. Rare bows. Unique Bows. No set bows, ironically. Before my ATMA crash, I think I had at least one of every normal/exceptional unique bow. I've seen multiple (3-4+) of several different unique bows. This isn't a flavor of the day kind of streak. It happens day after day after day. Is this normal? Is this a side effect of unchanging maps?

If you are using d2x 1.13 you should use Gomule instead. Atma only support up to 1.11 or something.

Vote: Goryani

ATMA stashes only corrupt if you are mafia.

+1 for GoMule. If you must use ATMA, I am told that storing Essences on a character mule instead of in a stash is safer.

And yes, essences work in SP :yes:

There are monsters which drop more bows than others, like (surprise!) those wearing bows.

I've had my first ATMA crash/corruption. I made the mistake of putting an Essence of Mephisto Poop into an ATMA stash. Not long after, ATMA crashed and caused the stash to be saved as a 0kb file.
Essences in ATMA need to be kept on a mule. Check out the first post of the Stickied ATMA/GoMule help thread. :) Or use GoMule which is java-based and has a lot of neat search things going on. Happy hoarding.

Do Essences combine into the skill/stat reset item in SP? Does the skill/stat reset item work in SP?
Yes. Also in the Stickied SPF FAQ is a post "Does this work in SP". It was written by Cattleya quite a while ago but pretty much the only things which don't work in SP are Ubers/Torch/Anni. The runewords we can enable using RWM.

But I've noticed something else: drops are not as varied as I'm used to. ... Is this normal? Is this a side effect of unchanging maps?
The map seed will have an effect on the drops. However unless you're using the seed command in the start up, it shouldn't be a huge deal (we don't accept using the seed command except in certain circumstances).

If you are using d2x 1.13 you should use Gomule instead. Atma only support up to 1.11 or something.

This isn't accurate. ATMA works fine up to and including the latest patch. Check the first post of the Stickied help thread regards things like fixes/essences/keys. GoMule is newer than ATMA and has a more simple search and more convenient group pick up function, but that's about it.

You actually play d2??? :badteeth:

Welcome! SC/HC? What char?

I'd use GoMule if I had Java installed. I won't install Java unless it's inside a VM and I don't want to play in a VM. Maybe I'll rethink this if Java's attempts to divorce itself from the browser are successful.

Vote: Goryani

ATMA stashes only corrupt if you are mafia.

Doh!

There are monsters which drop more bows than others, like (surprise!) those wearing bows.

I don't think Mephisto wears bows...

The map seed will have an effect on the drops. However unless you're using the seed command in the start up, it shouldn't be a huge deal (we don't accept using the seed command except in certain circumstances).

No seed command being used which is why I'm wondering why the loot randomness isn't so random.

You actually play d2??? :badteeth:

Crazy, I know! Haven't played in a while but I used to play a char or two most ladders.

Welcome! SC/HC? What char?

SC - I look away from the screen far too much to play HC. I also enjoy taking risks. At half life? No worries and no need to chug a potion. Blindly teleport around and kill everything anyway.

Blizz sorc to start - I haven't really played one before. I've always preferred a well aimed, fully synergized FO to blizzard. With blizzard, you cast and hope one of the balls hits what you just aimed at. With FO, I know it's going to hit.

My goal is to get an Enigma and make one of several chars that only shine once you get one. Never had an Enigma before. I've only seen one HR drop ever (Lo - made a post about it long ago). I'd also like to make a druid since I haven't played one past nightmare before. If I'm feeling saucy, maybe a character that presses the shift key to play well (that's right - no well played hammerdins for me).

pffft, make a FoHer with that future enigma. Way more fun than cheeserdinners

pffft, make a FoHer with that future enigma. Way more fun than cheeserdinners

Silly pharphis! I didn't mean that I was going to make a hammerdin. I meant every time I've played one, they suck because I don't use the shift key to make a hammer field.

Besides, I'm making an Enigma character before the shift-key character. I was thinking poison nova or singer for Enigma and some type of bow zon for the shift key.

I'd use GoMule if I had Java installed. I won't install Java unless it's inside a VM and I don't want to play in a VM.

You can use Java + GoMule without having it "installed". (I program without Java installed)

If it is the browser plugin you are afraid of, Install the JVM in a VM, copy it to you normal computer and write a small batch script to start GoMule. (something like "D:\java\jre7\bin\java.exe -jar GoMule.jar")

Randall

Versus Meph, the disadvantage of FO is that you will have to be within his spellcasting range if you want to hit him, i.e. no moat trick. It's normally not much of a problem to defeat Meph in a "honest fight", but it involves a certain death risk and the more your gear sucks, the tougher it is.

In any case, as soon as your gear has a certain quality, I would switch to meteorb. That will improve your Meph performance a lot, as you don't have to abort them when there are too many Bloodlords near him.

I don't think Mephisto wears bows...
That seems to be your way of saying that you forgot to mention which monster that issue is about before I made my posting :whistling:. Perhaps you were slightly offended about the word "surprise" in my posting. I assure you it wasn't directed at you, but to make fun of my own reasoning ;). <-- smileys added for political correctness

I'm always using the same map with Durance 3 around the corner versus Meph as well and I never have drops of the same kind all the time. It just happens to a rack on the way to there (brandistocks 1 in 3 times, runic talons 1 in 6-10), but racks are a different matter.

If you have a rack like that which produces an odd amount of lacquered plates (which is possible down there IIRC), you know what to do, right?

Last edited:
Yeah, racks are affected by the map in every version afaik, though it's (slightly) less apparent in more recent versions.

(I still say FoHer)

You can use Java + GoMule without having it "installed". (I program without Java installed)

If it is the browser plugin you are afraid of, Install the JVM in a VM, copy it to you normal computer and write a small batch script to start GoMule. (something like "D:\java\jre7\bin\java.exe -jar GoMule.jar")

That's worth looking in to. Thanks. And yes, it was the broswer plug in that's the issue. Every time you update Java it would install a NEW browser plug in despite having disabled the last browser plug in.

Versus Meph, the disadvantage of FO is that you will have to be within his spellcasting range if you want to hit him, i.e. no moat trick. It's normally not much of a problem to defeat Meph in a "honest fight", but it involves a certain death risk and the more your gear sucks, the tougher it is.

My use of a blizz sorc is to get right up in Mephito's face and static him down to half life (Blizz takes longer than static for the first 50%). Also, I have no problem doing a modified version of the Moat trick which involves TPing from side to side, letting Meph cast spells at me while I dodge and lob Blizz/FO's right back.

In any case, as soon as your gear has a certain quality, I would switch to meteorb. That will improve your Meph performance a lot, as you don't have to abort them when there are too many Bloodlords near him.

No bloodlords near Mephisto on this Map. And Meteor is slower than a good FO so if I respec it would be to Orb-It-All and not MeteorOrb.

That seems to be your way of saying that you forgot to mention which monster that issue is about before I made my posting :whistling:. Perhaps you were slightly offended about the word "surprise" in my posting. I assure you it wasn't directed at you, but to make fun of my own reasoning ;). <-- smileys added for political correctness

No offense was taken. I did mention the mob although not in the same paragraph.

I'm always using the same map with Durance 3 around the corner versus Meph as well and I never have drops of the same kind all the time. It just happens to a rack on the way to there (brandistocks 1 in 3 times, runic talons 1 in 6-10), but racks are a different matter.

It's not that Meph drops nothing but bows. He drops other things. It's that bows are over represented by quite a bit so the other things are underrepresented.

I haven't touched the racks yet though maybe I should just to tell what kind they are. I pop the chests/stashes on the way to Meph as they are my current source of potential whites (the room which contains the stairs to Durance Lvl3 has 3-8 chests/stashes within telekinesis casting range). No luck on good whites but I did get a Gul rune so I'm not complaining too loudly.

(I still say FoHer)

To be honest, I've never seen one nor heard of someone playing one.

No way, people play the heck out of them these days. Ever since 1.12 when the FoH skill got a 200% boost in damage and the cooldown was removed.

/sarcasm

They're fun, though, I promise!

I wouldn't make it out of normal playing HC. Duriel is a given but my first death is usually the underground passage.

I checked the racks on my Mephisto map and they seem more than a little meh. I died one or more times for about a dozen straight games only to find no elites out of either rack.

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High