Mafia game thread

Zokar said:
Ok, I'm scum.

That is a whole lot of words you got there. I shortened it for the others so they won't have to dredge through it.

Now we just have to figure out if you are trying to make a wild case to appear town while lynching a town or if you are trying to distance by physically putting as much text as you can between you and him. The use of the word "investigating" is really not what you want to do there.

Wow... what a pathetic distraction! I never actually posted those words in any context. Are you really that sore about my calling you out on your PM issue? You're above MAL on my list now... pathetic.

it depends on what game setup we have. Goryani has one theory here about "delayed activation" that can mean that Scum knew they were scum even before they were recruited, hence playing accordingly.

Yup. Which is why I mentioned the exact theory I was talking about. Gory's delayed theory sounds interesting and plausible, but if you can't talk to your scum-partners until you are 'activated', would you even know who you're partners are? From this, there are two ways I see it.

1: You get a PM on N1 saying you're mafia, you don't know who your teammates are and you can't talk to your team yet
2: You get a PM on N1 saying you're mafia, your teammates are ..., but you can't talk to you team yet

In option 1, I don't see how one could act any different vs them being town since you have no idea who your team is.

Ok, I'm scum.
Now we just have to figure out if you are trying to make a wild case to appear town while lynching a town or if you are trying to distance by physically putting as much text as you can between you and him. The use of the word "investigating" is really not what you want to do there.
How is it that no one is mentioning this as an incredibly scummy move. Changing someone else's post to benefit your theory is, as far as I know, as low as it gets. If there wasn't a train on Caluin already, I'd vote for you immediately.

Quickly scanned all the posts from all the claimed Harry characters, thefranklin never actually posted his PM. However, nobody else claimed the same power that night either... If a real harry got powers he might be afraid to post since he may not be able to convince the town which of the two are the real harry. Idk, it's a bit murky...

Just to point out this - a townie should not hide if there was a conflict. The townie should come out and post that he got a pm. Even if that means he gets lynched, we would have a mafia the next day, keeping that info secret is very bad.

CRAAAAP!!!!!!!!

I just read my role PM again, i had confusion because i instantly assumes that having now powers meant not a main 4 dude....

As well as that in the story section i was listed as ted, not my real name.

I sopose iv'e screwed this up now sorry guys so ill post my role PM

once again so sorry, i didnt even read the random stuff in the middle, i just saw theodore and "no powers"

^ First one to say Malevolent misread his PM instead of didn't read his PM. The reason most players gave for calling Mal scummy in the first couple of days wasn't even correct. kestegs started it and everyone else just followed that opinion. Until now.

I agree Mal looked and looks scummy, but he always seems to look scummy. I knew I wasn't going to vote for him with so many "bad" reasons listed by Mal voters (again, I'm referring to the first couple of days). He doesn't seem to be participating anymore: just going through the motions.

I feel about Malevolent about the same as I felt about kestegs. I'd do it to secure a lynch but I'd rather look elsewhere.

He actually did say he did not read all of him PM. Following this, the amount he posts dropped off drastically. And while Mal has normally looked scummy, he has so far always been scum, and his play style seems to fit exactly how he acted before.

Malevolent got the first vote in post 818 by PCM. The key difference here is that this vote was before Zokar's, mine and Flubbuckets votes were cast for Caluin and a train was firmly in his direction. Subsequent votes by Jcakes, Gwaihir and you were cast.

CG has not seemed particularly scummy to me, while Mal has. What I have seen for arguments against Mal seem solid, where as most of the arguments against CG seem to be based on very questionable assumptions. Specifically the arguments by Zokar seem haphazard, and it makes me wary of mafia trying to guide us into a bad lynch.

Also, there is nothing saying that 2 Normans can't be mafia. Directed at Zokar's post about the outcomes. Nowhere does it say that only 4 mafia are in this game. Zokar and Solar could very well be on the same scum team. If CG flips town I would this this being true. A lot of theories running around right now.

He actually did say he did not read all of him PM.
Correct, but the part he didn't read turns out to be the part nearly irrelevant in this game. He went on to post two of the three relevant (in my opinion) facts about his role PM. He listed the character name and having no powers. The third relevant fact would be the word "currently."

Also, there is nothing saying that 2 Normans can't be mafia. Directed at Zokar's post about the outcomes. Nowhere does it say that only 4 mafia are in this game. Zokar and Solar could very well be on the same scum team. If CG flips town I would this this being true. A lot of theories running around right now.

True, as I mentioned in that post though, it was going off the assumption that there is only 1 per group. If we want to toss that assumption out then... well, I'm not entirely sure where that leaves us other than randomly guessing based on what we perceive as deception. Not to say that's not the right way or anything, just think we have to either base actions on theory and prove them right/wrong or just randomly guess based on what our gut says.

For that matter, all three of us could be scum... heh! I guess anything is possible in this game lol!

I'll explain that. A tactic used by some scum players to look town is to play well, town, but in doing so they seem 'super-town'. Like, they are trying to hard to show everyone they are town. I read about this tactic on mafiascum a while back.

I understand the tactic, but I don't really see that difference in CG's play.

Three votes for CG at the time. Zokar, myself and flubbucket, at the time. Where is the 4th coming from?

Why do you think that you need to explain anything? Perhaps you thought you were acting in a similar way?Any particular reason that you felt the need to jump in with an explanation?

Nevermind. Malevolent. I completely forgot about his vote for a time.

Answered your own question did you?

Updated vote count, 1 hour remaining.

Malevolen - 3 (Pancakeman, Jcakes, Gwaihir)
Caluin Graye - 7 (Zokar, Solar Ice, Flubbucket, Malevolent, Goryani, Martinlong, Pharphis)

Yup. Which is why I mentioned the exact theory I was talking about. Gory's delayed theory sounds interesting and plausible, but if you can't talk to your scum-partners until you are 'activated', would you even know who you're partners are? From this, there are two ways I see it.

1: You get a PM on N1 saying you're mafia, you don't know who your teammates are and you can't talk to your team yet
2: You get a PM on N1 saying you're mafia, your teammates are ..., but you can't talk to you team yet

In option 1, I don't see how one could act any different vs them being town since you have no idea who your team is.

Problem is, we do not know if the theory is correct, and if it is whether it is option 1 or option 2. Assuming that it is correct and it is option 2, then it would not make too much of a difference if they knew each others identities but did not have access to night talk. They can still play accordingly. Knowing each others identities is a HUGE advantage for them, and is a large part of what makes them them the Informed Minority.

If it is option 1, then I feel they are under-powered in this game, but possibly compensated for the fact that their postings are far harder to be looked over for clues to the identities of their team-mates. A problem with option 1 is: what is the point of lynches then, if we cannot gather information from them? Lynches are the Town's weapon and if they are in effect negated, that raises balance issues as well.

For sake of balance if anything, I am inclined to believe from that theory that they knew who their team-mates were but did not get individual abilities or possibly night talk until the characters entered the sphere.

It's also worth mentioning, that CG would have only turned scum last night if the recruitment theory is correct (going theory). So that means that only D4 had CG been scum (if he is Norman) and the comments about people getting weird vibes from him wouldn't flow with the time line.

Would the "why haven't we lynched Malevolent yet?" players also give weird vibes if it turns out recruitment is the correct theory? I'd be interested to see if any of those players have voiced support for recruitment. Mental note.

OT:

Not to derail, just a quick question before we end the night for those who have played a lot. How common is it for people to not cast any votes? We have a player that has never voted and I'm just curious how common that is.

OT:

Not to derail, just a quick question before we end the night for those who have played a lot. How common is it for people to not cast any votes? We have a player that has never voted and I'm just curious how common that is.

No votes this late in the game? That player is usually voteless. The most common voteless role is a treestump.

Who is it?

Would the "why haven't we lynched Malevolent yet?" players also give weird vibes if it turns out recruitment is the correct theory? I'd be interested to see if any of those players have voiced support for recruitment. Mental note.
True. And I guess looking at this points to your delayed activation theory with the stipulation I pointed out (you know your team, but can't talk). It definitely gives us a lot to think about.

If delay activation is not the way about it, then we should see scum in players that have shown a large change in play style (after they found out their team mates).
OT:

I would say it uncommon, since everyone should have some suspicions to cast on someone. Who btw hasn't voted at all this game?

No votes this late in the game? That player is usually voteless. The most common voteless role is a treestump.

Who is it?

This is what I have so far, was update a while ago, but I am missing anybody that has voted in the last hour or so I think.
I keep it updated at the end of each voting day.

Voting Days:

Caluin Graye 3
flubbucket 2
Goryani 3
Gwaihir 2
Jcakes 2
Laarz 1
Malevolent 3
MartinLong 2
Moar 0
pancakeman 3
pharphis 3
Pyrotechnician 1
Solar Ice 3
thefranklin 1
Valhauros 2
Zokar 3

How is it that no one is mentioning this as an incredibly scummy move. Changing someone else's post to benefit your theory is, as far as I know, as low as it gets. If there wasn't a train on Caluin already, I'd vote for you immediately.

Agreed there. Changing a quote is omitting information and twisting words. Town does not need to do that at all. At first glance, did anyone know which post TheFranklin was responding to when he quoted Zokar?

Am I the only soul that thinks OMG's kill was weird? He only had one post in the first two days, so I consider that suspectible to a token lurker lynch. In addition, he did not claim a character. The mafia already knew that a Harry was dead, and thus risking losing another Harry. They had to think that at least some of us would consider lynching a Harry just because if there were only 2 or 3 of them left. It just doesnt make sense.

Another random theory: what if there is no mafia, only Sath as the sphere and we Harry's are to band together and win when there is only Harry's left?

CG: Why the zero hour lock?

Again, Coju seems like a strange choice for nk. Is there a randon bus driver role?

One think bugged me bout these posts but I could not put my finger on it. Who was it that made a comment in a similar vein in City Mafia about strange lynches? Yes. the game winning SK Valhauros, who himself (iirc) killed Bad Ash and then pretended to look confused. I see similar comments happening here with Thefranklin.

From City Mafia:

I find slightly weird that Bad Ash was killed. As some mentioned, he wrote that his ability would be up tonight, so I guess the SK has a heightened awareness, realized he was bluffing and acted accordingly. Still, if I were the SK, I would have targeted Gwaihir, because his death would increase suspicion on Fred, almost securing the lynch of another townie today... anyway, I think it was an odd choice. On the other matter, I agree that it's possible that another Mafia is still alive, but it seems unlikely.

Moving on, besides Pyro, I think both Gwaihir and Fred are relatively confirmed, so I will follow you three for voting decisions. That leaves Coju, Gambor and Rlyeh for possible lynches. If it were up to me, I'd go for Coju, but since his claim could be true, we are safer going after the other two.

This is what I have so far, was update a while ago, but I am missing anybody that has voted in the last hour or so I think.

Interesting, I must note that in addition to moars 0 votes, her game style is nothing like that of her's in the cheers game.

Zokar gets townie points for trying but I think this is not entirely correct. Moar had a couple of votes in the middle of a day then later unvoted. I checked. If there is a mafia Ted, I think Moar is the most likely player to hold that distinction.

thefranklin was in a similar situation. I also checked on him. He had a vote in the middle of the day (I think D1), then an unvote so it never showed up on the end of day list.

I checked those two specific players and didn't check for everyone. I think I checked near the beginning of the previous (mafia) day but I'm not certain of that.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High