Defense: 28/986
AR: 545/17556

Resists in Hell (F/C/L/P): 75/75/75/67

Skills:
20 WW
20 Sword Mastery
20 Battle Orders
20 Shout
1 iron skin, natural resist, increased stamina, increased speed, find potion, find item, berserk
1 in prereqs

Gear:
Head: Arreat's Face (Ith)
Body: 'Lionheart' Mage Plate
Amulet: Stone Wing (rare, see readout below)
Belt: String of Ears
Gloves: Laying of Hands
Boots: Gore Rider
Ring 1: Dwarf Star
Ring 2: Bahamut's Ring of the Wraith (118 mana, 4% mana steal)
Weapon 1: 'Grief' Phase Blade
Weapon 2: 'Oath' Eth Balrog Blade
Weapon Switch: 2 Heartcarvers

Merc:
Azrael
Act 2 holy freeze
Head: Tal-Rasha's Horadric Crest
Body: Duriel's Shell
Weapon: Hone Sundan (Shael, Shael, Amn)

Code:
-----
Lionheart 
Mage Plate 
HelLumFal 
Defense: 257 
Durability: 46 of 60 
Required Level: 41 
Required Strength: 47 
Fingerprint: 0x226d3c6 
Item Level: 85 
Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
20% Enhanced Damage 
All Stats +10 
+15 to Strength 
+5 to Dexterity 
+10 to Vitality 
+50 to Life 
All Resistances +30 
Requirements -15% 3 Sockets (3 used) 
Socketed: Hel Rune 
Socketed: Lum Rune 
Socketed: Fal Rune
-----
Grief 
Phase Blade 
EthTirLoMalRal 
One Hand Damage: 31 - 35 
Indestructible 
Required Level: 59 
Required Strength: 25 
Required Dexterity: 136 
Fingerprint: 0xc20d8666 
Item Level: 85 
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking 
+37% Increased Attack Speed 
Damage +385 
Ignore Target's Defense 
-25% Target Defense 
+157% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level) 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
-22% to Enemy Poison Resistance 
20% Deadly Strike 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+2 to Mana after each Kill 
+13 Life after each Kill 5 Sockets (5 used) 
Socketed: Eth Rune 
Socketed: Tir Rune 
Socketed: Lo Rune 
Socketed: Mal Rune 
Socketed: Ral Rune
-----
Oath 
Balrog Blade 
ShaelPulMalLum 
One Hand Damage: 85 - 434 
Two Hand Damage: 318 - 686 
Durability: 26 of 26 
Required Level: 53 
Required Strength: 175 
Required Dexterity: 77 
Fingerprint: 0x37ee5003 
Item Level: 80 
30% Chance to cast level 20 Bone Spirit on striking 
Indestructible 
+50% Increased Attack Speed 
288% Enhanced Damage 
+75% Damage to Demons 
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+10 to Energy 
+13 Magic Absorb 
Level 17 Iron Golem (14/14 Charges) 
Level 16 Heart of Wolverine (20/20 Charges) Ethereal 
4 Sockets (4 used) 
Socketed: Shael Rune 
Socketed: Pul Rune 
Socketed: Mal Rune 
Socketed: Lum Rune
-----
Stone Wing 
Amulet 
Required Level: 51 
Fingerprint: 0x1023b912 
Item Level: 84 
+2 to Masteries Skills (Barbarian Only) 
+10% Faster Cast Rate 
+7 to Minimum Damage 
Cold Resist +27% 
All Resistances +11 
Poison Length Reduced by 75%
-----

Notes:
This was the first character I made in LoD 1.10+, sometime around 2008 or so. I finally got around to patting him, as you can see. Trogdor is my 2nd character ever, after an Assassin in unpatched LoD with a point in every skill who almost made it to Normal Baal. I'll write what I can remember about the journey.

Going untwinked as a WW barb was tough at first. Mana was a problem and I had no idea what I was doing. I struggled to find a decent weapon to lvl with before I even knew about WW breakpoints. Because of the mana problems, I lvled to about 50 in Normal using only Concentrate on /players 1. Yeah. I had Berserk for an Iron Maiden/PI Solution. I think Trogdor did most of Nightmare and Hell also on /players 1, until I finally made some nice swords.

I needed better stuff, so I started some other characters to mf. Trogdor's gear kept getting better and better. I wanted to gear him up to run Travincal for runes, but to do that I'd need some runes to start with, so I made a Zon for Cows. I finally got the things necessary to make an eth Oath. That made a huge difference in his WW damage. With the advent of 1.13, I finally found enough runes to cube a Lo for Grief. At that point (I think Hell Act 5), Hell /players 8 was a breeze, except for mana burn. The Ith in the hat is supposed to help with that. If I were to rebuild, I'd put some points in double swing I think, to help leech mana back faster.

I ran Pindle for a level or two, and tried out the Pits as a lvling spot also. I do not remember any particular finds from this character. Hell hellforge was Fal.

I have a note here saying that all 3 of the Ancients were mana burn. That was rough. Not. Grief/Oath is ridiculous.

With no Iron Maiden anymore, WSK was hilariously easy for a change. I just WW'ed everything, even gloam and viper and OKnight bosspacks. The only trouble came with some PI frenzytaurs. Those were taken care of carefully with Howl and Berserk.

Baal dropped Blackhorn's Face.

The future for Trogdor is Travincal. He may do some more Pindle runs to get some levels, then I'll regear the merc (still looking for a reaper's toll) and hit the council hard.

This makes 5/7 character classes I've finished Hell with. Still need to do Assassin and Druid.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Nice write up and a fun build indeed! Grief is absolutely insane, and even the lowest roll will beat a 1.10+ base BotD Zerker for average dmg. :crazyeyes:

Mana can be a problem with WW but with the aid of a high damage weapon and some Leech this is solved for the most part. You can also use a mana pot here or there to offset the occasional mana issues.

Trav is a great place for your barb, for sure.

Wow I'm surprised by the lack of replies so I'll say- Well done!
The mana problem can be solved by simply using concentrate and having some manaleech on your gear.

Grats on the Patriach. Gotta love a geared whirler. Good luck with Trav, and may all their drops be orange.

WW Barbs are fun. Especially with Grief + Oath (I use the same combo on my Trav Barb, albeit with a 1.07 base for the Oath). Congrats on your Pat.

@Solar Ice- Thanks! Yeah, mana was a problem in the early game, but the bahamut's ring and a few +mana charms helped a lot, especially once I had maxed BO and had better weapons. At the end, I did so much damage that it wasn't really a problem at all anymore.

@zaphodbrx - Thanks! Yep, that's what I found out. I mentioned the mana problems in the writeup because the guides I had read while creating the char skipped over this issue entirely. It would've been helpful to know that I would need some +mana gear to WW effectively. If past me invents time travel, they can read this and save themselves a lot of grief (ooh, I'm sorry).

@Drystan - Thanks! Yeah, after a couple of untwinked characters, playing one with some gear was fun!

@Jason Maher - Yep, they really are. I didn't have access to a 1.07 base, but that would be even better. Thanks!

nice write - and where did you find guides for a ww barb?

Thanks! Guides... all over the net, many of them out of date and mostly focusing on the RAW POWER of the WW with ebotd or some such nonsense. Like I said, at this time I was pretty new to the game and didn't know what I was doing, so the lists of 1337 uber gearz were quite unhelpful to me. Nothing worth linking to.

ahhh ok
well then i will just use yours as a more or less template and try it this way
btw why is oath in a Barlrog bloade and not a phase blase as well (sorry noob asking here)

@mr teach - for a WW guide, here's some tips I didn't mention in the writeup:
Make sure that your planned weapon of choice hits the last WW breakpoint (Check the ias tables in the Barb section). I think only on-weapon ias counts, so that will limit things a bit. Don't worry about having cannot be frozen on your gear; the slower you move through enemies, the more times your WW hits them. As for the order of your skills, if you have already chosen a weapon type, get that weapon mastery, then points in prereqs as you can, then WW, then BO/weapon mastery, then Shout. Extra points in Natural Resist or Find Item. Str and dex enough for gear, rest in Vita.

Oath is in a Balrog Blade for damage and speed. The base is eth because Oath gives indestructible. Unlike Grief, Oath cares about the base damage on the weapon, so it's got to be in something harder hitting than a Phase Blade.

ah ok so if i want to make it with two swords i should do practically the same - i want one for running trav for money and runes

A trav barb is a pretty common thing. There's definitely a thread about it on these forums. Ah, [thread=757752]here it is[/thread].

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High