just a SP thread

Re: just a SP thread

The other mercs are viable for normal and nightmare. If you want to use them in hell, you lose a lot of effectiveness for style points.

A2 mercs have a lot to offer besides a walking aura. In fact even without the aura they are still the best mercs in the game. Lets see

-the highest damage, defense and hp ( barbs can beat them in hp but only very late game)
-uses polearms, thus giving extremely good runeword auras ( Insight, Infinity )
-Can tank very well and shows the least retarded behaviour ( Rogues and mages spend half their time walking back and forth. The barb is much too eager to fight )

Additionally you have an AURA!! What more you have six auras to choose from. What do the other mercs give?

Barb: A silly bash and stun
Rogue: Inner sight ( ok maybe this is useful )
Mage: The cold mage freezes stuff

but still none of them compare to the incredible power of the aura.

barb is much too eager to fight )

I have not noticed any behaviour differences between A2 and A5 mercs. They move to the closest monster and start fighting...

It´s easier to get good weapons for the A2 mercs, because there are more item types to pick from and a better runeword pool for polearms than for swords.

In a one-on-one fight versus a nasty boss, the Barb merc is superior because of the Bash/Stun. That´s their main selling point for me. But usually you have to work quite a bit to create a one-on-one situation like that.

Barbarian mercenaries also don't go into hit recovery and therefore can't be pushed back, so kind of like golems. They also seem to move a bit faster than town guards, but perhaps that is just my imagination. Same goes for their enemy detection radius: It seems to be a bit higher, which would make them 'more eager to fight', as they'd see enemies further away and rush over there.

Very precious info!

Capture1.png

this sword (eth) really makes me want a barb merc, but with all the downsides listed..
Altough I think maybe for a cold sorc, (I don't have access to infinity runeword) the barb merc wouldnt be that bad since the A2 auras don't benefit you that much..

just a thought :p

Also
1. how do WW barbs compare to concentration barbs in PvM?
2. do melee druids benefit that bad from using 2 hand weapons vs weapon/sheild?

Concentration is slooooooooow - you need a great deal of patience.
WW is just so much better in my opinion.

Druids are (much) better with 2H weapons as they don't suffer from block lock which can get you killed. Also, 2H weapons offer you some great choices of weapon. That is not to say 1H is bad, you can make it work and there are still some great 1H uniques, but from what I have read, everyone seems to love Ribcracker which is 2H and fairly easy to find.

Concentration is slooooooooow - you need a great deal of patience.
WW is just so much better in my opinion.

Druids are (much) better with 2H weapons as they don't suffer from block lock which can get you killed. Also, 2H weapons offer you some great choices of weapon. That is not to say 1H is bad, you can make it work and there are still some great 1H uniques, but from what I have read, everyone seems to love Ribcracker which is 2H and fairly easy to find.

The day I finally make a ribby Druid will be a happy one. Hopefully one that's eth too :p But that could cost some serious d2 cash moneyz.

Last edited:

i guess ik hammer would make a pretty good weapon then! what do you think I should socket it with?

Check the weapon speed calculator:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

You may need Shaels for some attacks but in the case of Fury it might already be at the top speed with that weapon and so you might try damage jewels or runes ... I am not a fan of druids and I don't know what your build is. Best wait for someone with more knowledge or check out the druid forum and some druid guides.

sorry about that I just remembered about the angelic ammy/ring combo

edit : can anybody explain this?

tirel.png

Last edited:

Diablo II Maces
Normal Maces — Club • Spiked Club • Mace • Morning Star • Flail • War Hammer • Maul • Great Maul
Exceptional Maces — Cudgel • Barbed Club • Flanged Mace • Jagged Star • Knout • Battle Hammer • War Club • Martel de Fer
Elite Maces — Truncheon • Tyrant Club • Reinforced Mace • Devil Star • Scourge • Legendary Mallet • Ogre Maul • Thunder Maul

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Maces

kinda odd but I guess you're right

Diablo II Maces
Normal Maces — Club • Spiked Club • Mace • Morning Star • Flail • War Hammer • Maul • Great Maul
Exceptional Maces — Cudgel • Barbed Club • Flanged Mace • Jagged Star • Knout • Battle Hammer • War Club • Martel de Fer
Elite Maces — Truncheon • Tyrant Club • Reinforced Mace • Devil Star • Scourge • Legendary Mallet • Ogre Maul • Thunder Maul

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Maces

kinda odd but I guess you're right

If you look Arreat Summit's page on Maces, you can see that maces are broken down further into clubs, maces, and hammers.

Truncheons fall under the sub category of clubs.

The wiki needs to be clarified then! At least I wasn't making an expensive runeword :p

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High