Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

*road trip*

sorry Gorny, already gone!

I always get those two confused... either way you got the reference ;)

I like Risk too. But after 5+ hours over night, most of my games are usually won by earthquates wiping out the entire population. I'm trying to find good abridged alternatives, but not many people really play Risk often enough.
I've played the Capitals version, which was a much shorter version, and still quite fun. It should be altered a little more, but I can't get anyone to have a game of it at the moment.

I'll be back in a little bit. Got something to take care of.

Yes, the length of the game is rather sad. There are some pretty good electronic versions, not having to roll and distribute and do all that stuff makes it a lot faster. However... it's just not the same as the board game.

I had risk...never got into playing it for some reason.

Guess i never really knew what I was doing....

Gorny: is this what you were thinking?
images

Yes, I have played short games of risk as well, but they are not fun, I enjoy winning against a good opponent.

I'm listening to country music and running LK...I'm in a dangerous mood ;)

Risk was always good fun, I also remember playing some seriously epic games of Civilisations the board game.

Never played that one, or the one that zemaj mentioned.

I liked stratego a lot, lots of fun there.

I've tried Axis and Allies, but it seriously took some time to set up, and the different unit pieces was confusing for us new players. We decided to go back to a quick setup of Risk.
I can not imagine how a game of Risk went for 35 minutes. In that time, you don't get enough armies to do a full sweep of the map, and your armies are too small to take much of the land.
I'm pretty sure you're meant to secure an area, and push out one area at a time, instead of stampeding across the continent, but 35 mins seems too short.

Is the Civilisations board game much like the PC version?

@Kestegs - Funny country song! Love it.

35 is a bit short, I would think that if someone was losing that badly they would just surrender.

We also played LoTR risk some. I didn't like the layout of the board as much, but its still cool.

Don't take Europe/Asia! You can't keep it for more than a turn, or defend it from so many angles!
Saying that, I actually did. In the Capital's version we played, I started with most of it, and the other two were fighting over North America. When one player took and held the other's capital, I basically had secured (properly) Europe/Asia, and quickly took Australia, and a section of both South Africa and North America.
Each turn, I'd get an army of over 30, with all my chokepoints filled, whereas the other person got 7 or something.

I imagine Axis & Allies would be fun, but it's for the true fanatics. There's too much for infrequent players to focus on, and learn all the mechanics. You can't have any half/half players, as they would quickly lose focus. Risk is a lot simpler - army vs army.

Weird, shows up for me, how about this?
images

I Always went for north or south america first if I could.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High