Making a poisonmancer

Fusker

Sep 5, 2011
Making a poisonmancer

Hello All,

I have not played D2 in years. I am starting up again and I want to make a poisonmancer. Is there a cookie cutter build that people follow for skills and stats? If so, what is it? i am more interested in the skill and stat distribution more than anything else.

Thanks!

Re: Making a poisonmancer

A poisonmancer as a first / untwinked character kind of blows. There's some really key gear that is almost essential to make it viable. Namely trang gloves+shield+belt combo, bramble armor, and death's web.

For a "haven't played D2 in years" necro, I'd highly recommend a skelemancer instead. I think you will be disappointed with the poisonmancer without having the right gear for it. Skelemancer is awesome naked.

That said if you're really set on the poisonmancer the build is pretty straightforward:

20 poison dagger
20 poison explosion
20 poison nova

those are your core skills, then you get:

20 corpse explosion (all PvE necros need this, it is just too good)
1+ lower resist (your primary curse, but maxing it is pointless because of diminishing returns)
1 in attract for crowd control
1 in pre-reqs
1 in all summoning skills (maybe skip fire golem)

The summoning skills give you a little survivability, with enough +skills you can have a decent amount of skeletons and revives keeping stuff off you.

Last edited:

how good is a skelemancer in pvm? I am just trying to enjoy the game. I can prob get the items required for that poisonmancer, but it doesn't look like it'll be good until way into the hell lvl's (lvl 60 req gear).

Is there another character maybe I should be looking at for a fun pvm experience? I tried a hammerdin and just didn't like it at all.

Thanks!

how good is a skelemancer in pvm? I am just trying to enjoy the game. I can prob get the items required for that poisonmancer, but it doesn't look like it'll be good until way into the hell lvl's (lvl 60 req gear).

Is there another character maybe I should be looking at for a fun pvm experience? I tried a hammerdin and just didn't like it at all.

Thanks!

My favorite "low gear" characters are:

Skelemancer
Trapsin
Blizzballer

Hammerdins are good low gear, but they're just boring to play. Necros and Sins have lots of utility spells that make them more fun to play IMHO.

To answer your original question, though, "how good is skelemancer in PvM" the answer is very good. The Fishymancer Guide will get you going on the right path, if that's what you want to do.

Thanks!

A summon necro is far better than a poison nova necro so build a summon/ce necro.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High