The Uber Problem: Mephisto

MasterYi

Jul 5, 2011
The Uber Problem: Mephisto

So here's some information about my smealot:
- BO is a little above 1 minute (it's level is relatively low)
- With BO, my smealot has a little more than 1700 life.
- Without BO, he has about 1200 life.
- With Sanctuary on, my smealot has relatively >= 0 resistance to each element (with Exile, but with Griswold it's above 60).

His items at this point:
Helmet: Guil's Face w/ Um
Armor: Fort w/ 25 res
Weapon: Low Grief PB
Shield: Exile w/ 45 res
Amulet: 35res Metalgrid
Ring 1: Ravenfrost
Ring 2: A rare ring with 4%ll and 8all res (with some other "irrelevant" stats)
Gloves: Dracs
Boots: Gore Riders
Belt: Verdungos

- I also have a Seraphs Hymn (2/2), an Enigma, and a 3 Um'd Griswold shield (that I am not using yet).

So I can definitely obliterate Uber Duriel, Izual, and Andariel. Before I was also able to obliterate Uber Trist, laughing at how simple things were.

Today was strange though, I kept on dying to Uber Meph. I never had this problem before - it was almost like he could 1 shot me. Maybe it was because I came from the west instead of the north, but regardless this is a problem. He's the only one I have a problem with. Even WHEN I have Sanctuary on.

What can I do to prevent myself from dying from him as easily? I was told to use Thundergods belt, but it has a few caveats: the proc of the hammer, and 20 lightning absorb isn't 20%. I am not even sure if it's Meph's lightning that's killing me - it might be his autoattacks. What items should I aim to get to survive better? To add to it, I need lifetap - the chance of the drac's proc of life tap is really unreliable and I don't want to get a wand for lifetap.

Re: The Uber Problem: Mephisto

I'm going to assume you mean salvation, rather than sanctuary.

You want maxed resists, either from salvation, from overstacking (difficult) or from over-writing his conviction with your own. If you don't have maxed resists, that's almost certainly why he's murdering you. Tgods is great, absorb works synergistically with resist (that is, the more resist you have, the better absorb is).

His auto-attack isn't that serious, I highly doubt that's your issue. Maybe if you forgot to put up holy shield and got a bunch of trash mobs on you.

As for lifetap, either get a wand, or just deal with the fact that you'll have to be chaining full rejuvs until your gloves proc.

edit: with my fanatic zmiter last season, I stopped caring about pulling them separately, and would just run into the center of town and tank all 3 with salvation up, then switch to fanaticism once meph was dead. With maxed resists, lifetap, and BO, you should not be dying.

Last edited:

I am wondering, is using CoH instead of Fort going to benefit me more overall (for basic pvm? key ubers? uber trist? all of them?) or no?

Hi

It could have been an off day. Like you said you were trying a diff appraoch. I'd go back to old appraoch u said didnt have ne problems. If it ends up youre still dying then I would do whatever it takes to 1) make sure your res are maxed under mephy's aura and 2) get LOTS more life. I'd try and shoot for 2000 life with BO at least.

Kaytie

Well, I'd like to survive even while having these off days :\

Sooo yeah, would it be a good choice to swap my Fort with CoH?

There's really no reason to have both Dracs and Exile, so you can use HoZ, Sanctuary or Gris for more res. Verdungo's really isn't all that so swap it for T-gods which'll solve your Meph problem completely.

Ok i also recently got a Last Wish. If I'm using that instead of Grief, what can I swap out?

If you swap out Grief for Last Wish, you can swap it right back ;D

last wish is nice, but grief will kill faster with smite, assuming you have a decent amount of crushing on other gear. Grief will smite for more than three times the damage that last wish will.

That said, last wish covers basically everything a smiter needs, so it frees up your boot, hat, and glove slots (don't need lifetap or crushing from those slots if you're using last wish). All the same, if you can get survivability covered while using grief, that's going to be better.

IMHO if you can hit max resists against meph while using grief+g's face+gore rider you're better off doing that rather than using last wish. Likewise fortitude increases your damage so only swap it for CoH if you need the resists and can't get them elsewhere.

HoZ + Tgods seems like the most likely place for you to make up your meph survivability without sacrificing anything important.

Well with grief + gris I don't have max resist, but i don't think its needed.

When I tried out LW I felt like i killed the ubers faster, but that might just be me.

One caveat I'm having with LW right now is just that the lifetap curse keeps on getting removed by LW's Prevent Monster Heal.

Are you pre-buffing with Fade from Treachery? It's cheap, easy, and basically gives you a free 60 res and 15 dr for at least as long as it takes to kill Meph. My 1 pt Smiter uses almost the exact same gear setup as you (+20 additional res from charms in inventory) and I've had nary a hickup in about 10 runs now, but I've prebuffed every single run. With the cushion from Treachery, I can use Fanat on Meph, which means he goes down in 20-30 secs like clockwork (meaning my BO never runs out). The less time you're under that Conviction aura, the better.

Prebuffing also removes one of the big reasons to use Last Wish, since like I said, a Teachery pre-buff should usually easily last through Meph, and generally lasts through all 3 for me. So, no reason to give up the massive damage boost from Grief when you can get the Fade proc by spending Lem Thul Shael in a vendored breastplate and hanging out in Catacombs for 5 mins before heading into Trist.

I've killed ubers using a Lightsabre you can kill em without any high level gear.

shop for a wand with charges of lifetap on it, stand just of screen from mephy, cast a few life taps switch weapons charge in and smite, you must have maxed resists to survive him though (IMHO) if your having trouble getting there, swap your shield for any elite 4soc <30 @res pally shield, socket with UM's or Pdiamonds and use that for meph and swap in your other shield for the others.

Zerker

So here's what I have at this point:
Helmet: Guil's Face w/ Um
Armor: Enigma
Weapon: Last Wish
Shield: 3x Um'd Gris Shield
Amulet: Highlords
Ring 1: Ravenfrost
Ring 2: A rare ring with 4%ll and 8all res (with some other "irrelevant" stats)
Gloves: LoH
Boots: Waterwalk
Belt: Thundergod

With BO I have over 2k life now (well, with the help of small charms)

With this build, do you think I'll be good for both Key Ubers and Uber Trist? I can't test it out right now because I have a realm down + am already holding a torch. Also is it better, at this point, to swap out Thundergods with Verdungos?

I'd swap LW to Grief. Enigma is probably good for getting the organs. But swap it for Duress (or CoH/Smoke if you absolutely need the res) for UT. Also Gores are much better than WW for boots. Do you prebuff with Treachery? Gives lots of res and %dr

I hope you cast Life Tap from a wand. With 2k life and res less than 75 (I guess) Meph is going to 1 hit you often

if he's using LW duress and gores are simply wrong suggestions. He doesn't need more crushing, he's at or near 100%

Fortitude would be his best armor choice, or CoH if he needs the resists. Waterwalk are fine as well, nice chunk of life on them.

He also doesn't need treachery, last wish has its own fade proc, although it's certainly a good suggestion for him to go make sure it procs before entering tristram.

That's after swapping LW to Grief. LW is just a waste of runes, Grief is much better imo. You can get the same stats in other equipments easily (CB, Fade, life tap) plus you get the added +300 damage to smite.

Well the thing is I already have a Last Wish. I have all the items that I said above.

Hi

well if you dont have grief alrdy then with set up you described it should do very well. And if so then next Lo you get might be better served in a fortitude.

But that may be my own personal bias since I just feel enigma is the most overrated runeword in the game with so many people insisting its the best armor no matter what build or intended use of the char :/.

Kaytie

Yeah, I agree. I just rather tele faster to the key ubers instead of walk.

Yeah, I agree. I just rather tele faster to the key ubers instead of walk.

Yeah that's fine, it's just not useful to you when you're actually in uber trist, and since it only takes 2 secs to swap it for fortitude, you might as well.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High