The 12 Labors Tournament

Re: The 12 Labors Tournament

I'm sorry to hear about your paladin, Nightfish. I'll have to watch those dolls, too. They were hurting in Normal, although shiver armor was helping me avoid them.

BrusselSprout continues on her way. Act3 passed uneventfully, with the mercenary doing most of the work. In Act4, I hurried my way to the River of Flame. Along the way, I stopped at the Hellforge...
Sprout06.jpg

Without RWM, I guess that is a worthless drop.

I cleared the Chaos Sanctuary and prepared to fight Diablo. As a sorceress, I knew I was going to be in trouble. First, I am a fragile character, only sporting about 200 life. Second, I am underleveled (clvl25), which I knew would make it harder to hit and easier to be hit. Third, my resists were in the tank. I shopped a 3os shield in Act2 and made Ancient's Pledge, then spent a while shopping resist gear in Act4. The last seal boss to fall dropped a 15% Lightning Resist ring, thankfully, leading to these resists (and this dismal chance to hit):
Sprout08.jpg

Wirt's Leg was the guest of honor, of course. I socketed it with 3x "Tal" runes for the occasion:
Sprout07.jpg

After a few close calls with the lightning hose, I managed to get my merc on one side of him while I snuck up behind and started casting static field as quickly as I could while feeding the merc potions. I had to retreat, heal, and repeat the process two more times before I had his life bar slivered. Remembering NF's bad experience with a kill-stealing mercenary, I had removed Fazel's weapon entirely prior to the boss fight. Just to be sure, though, I led Fazel around in circles until Big D toasted him with the lightning hose. Now it was me and the inflamed red fellow. My first pass consisted of a few final static fields to be sure his life was as low as I could get it. Retreat, heal, restock potions from inventory, and back in to the fray. On the next pass, it was swing... miss... swing... miss... get clobbered by Big D's claw... drink potion.... swing... hit! He turned green, and I ran. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. I tried to get back in, but he went on a big lightning hose kick, resulting in some heart-stopping moments and a lot of business for the local branch of Potions R Us. Just when I thought I was going to have to go back to town for more potions, I found an opening. Swing... miss... step back to dodge an attack... swing... hit!
Sprout09.jpg

The drop was not terrible:
Sprout10.jpg
That charm is the first useful charm I have found all game (+3% fire resist), and the Grim Wand has +15 energy, +69 mana, and lvl1 Lower Resist charges. I'm not using it, but I put it in the stash just in case.

Onward to Act5!

[highlight]Hardcore[/highlight]
Code:
Forum Name        Character Name    Class       Clvl  Current Location   SP?  Labours
=====================================================================================
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     25  Harrogath          No      3/12
Jason Maher       Jason             Necromancer   17  Outer Cloister     Yes     1/12
Sint              WorkedUp          Druid         17  Outer Cloister     No      1/12
Ojimijam          Evelyn            Assassin      13  Black Marsh        No      1/12
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer    1  Rogue camp         No      0/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1  Rogue camp         No      0/12

[highlight]Fallen Heroes[/highlight]
Code:
Forum Name        Character Name    Class       Clvl  Current Location   SP?  Labours
=====================================================================================
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       50 Valley of Snakes    No      6/12

[highlight]Softcore[/highlight]
Code:
GoldenredDragon   Vein              Paladin       18 Inner Cloister      No      1/12
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        13 Rogue Encampment    No      1/12

Nah, it's all good. I've killed one of the least favorite builds of my least favorite class. I can live with that. Tbh, it would have been fine if I had more patience to do runs, but I just don't have that patience anymore.

Code:
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     25  Harrogath          No      3/12
Jason Maher       Jason             Necromancer   17  Outer Cloister     Yes     1/12
Sint              WorkedUp          Druid         17  Outer Cloister     No      1/12
Ojimijam          Evelyn            Assassin      13  Black Marsh        No      1/12
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer    1  Rogue camp         No      0/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1  Rogue camp         No      0/12

Code:
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       60 Durance II    No      7/12

Code:
GoldenredDragon   Vein              Paladin       18 Inner Cloister      No      1/12
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        13 Rogue Encampment    No      1/12

I have been following this tournament since it's inception last week, and am very much interested. :nod:

I am surprised that no one has taken this name for the sheer theme relation; however, the class associated with the name has also yet to appear, which is no surprise with the foresight of the labors laid before each of us. Being inexperienced with the class, I may not do the build justice, but I will certainly be putting my best foot forward. Then back, then forth and back again :crazyeyes:

Without further ado, I bring forth Heracles, my HC Zerker barb.

Code:
JimmyOfJudecca    Heracles          Barbarian      1  Rogue camp         No      0/12

Code:

Code:

Looking forward to the progress I can make this evening when I get home from work to start out the labors. Kudos to all who have made it so far, and credit to NF for the incredible and valiant attempt. I can only hope to make it half as far.

Last edited:

Looking back over the rules, I could have sworn there was mention on whether or not ATMA/GoMule was allowed as an extended stash, but now I don't see this. Obviously, the rules are there for no twinking, but is it allowed to use these programs for extending one's personal stash?

I'll edit this if I find a post that answers this before I get a response :)

EDIT: I didn't find a direct answer, but the context of most posts indicate that an extended stash is allowable. If this ends up not being the case, I would greatly appreciate the clarification. Just wanting to make sure and keep this all kosher!

Looking back over the rules, I could have sworn there was mention on whether or not ATMA/GoMule was allowed as an extended stash, but now I don't see this. Obviously, the rules are there for no twinking, but is it allowed to use these programs for extending one's personal stash?

I'll edit this if I find a post that answers this before I get a response :)

EDIT: I didn't find a direct answer, but the context of most posts indicate that an extended stash is allowable. If this ends up not being the case, I would greatly appreciate the clarification. Just wanting to make sure and keep this all kosher!

Use of ATMA or GoMULE is indeed allowed as an extended stash. That was in the draft rules but somehow accidentally tumbled out of the final rules. I will edit the rules in teh first post to reflect this.

@JimmyofJudecca All Hail the 12 Labors of Heracles! Whether its uncommon bravery or uncommon foolishness to enter with a Barb, we salute you! And we've now had every character class enter the tournament.

Code:
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer   20   Dry Hills         No      1/12
JimmyOfJudecca    Heracles          Barbarian      1  Rogue camp         No      0/12

Code:

Code:

Act 1 is done, the most notable thing to happen was the fact that it took 21 runs to get a 3os wirts leg :coffee: I was at level 18 when I left tristram and level 19 when I killed andy! Nothing too challenging, I think that I used maybe 1 healing potion in the whole act. Playing pretty much as a staffmod summoner for now, as spear is too expensive to cast much. but the skeletons are getting pretty frail and will likely become useless before much longer.

@JimmyofJudecca All Hail the 12 Labors of Heracles! Whether its uncommon bravery or uncommon foolishness to enter with a Barb, we salute you! And we've now had every character class enter the tournament.

Thanks for the warm welcome to impending doom!:crazyeyes:

And thank you for the extended stash answer. I recalled it being in the original rules, and noticed they were no longer present. Much appreciated :thumbup:

Glory be to the gods, and may my Labors be swift!

When we last left BrusselSprouts, she was at lvl25 entering Act5. I quickly moved to the first WP and ran the SUs until lvl34. I then moved on to Pindle and ran him until lvl40. At that point, I decided to tackle the Drifter Cavern challenge. In honor of NF, I chose to avoid the use of teleport. The Glacial Trail was easy, but there were quite a few rough moments in the Drifter Cavern. Shiver armor was a big help.
Sprout11.jpg

The Ancients went down easily, as you would expect, but the entire time I was thinking about the huge test they will be in Hell...
Sprout12.jpg

Baal was not a problem. I am discovering that static field + firewall is a great boss killer, so longer as being in close range (static field) is not too dangerous.
Sprout13.jpg
Sprout14.jpg

The Cow King fell handily. I then realized that I had to use all my quests before leaving Normal difficulty. Unfortunately, my luck with items has been truly terrible. I ran various areas until lvl45, hoping that something worth socketing or imbuing would drop, but nothing did. In the end, I used the imbue quest on an orb, socketed it, and personalized it. I am sure it will be replaced soon.

BrusselSprouts's Rune Song
Sacred Globe
One Hand Damage: 3 - 8
Durability: 30 of 30
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x69671e61
Item Level: 49
Version: Expansion 1.10+
5% Chance to cast level 3 Lightning on attack
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+3 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Cold Mastery (Sorceress Only)
+10 to Life
+34 to Mana
+2 to Mana after each Kill 1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Tir Rune

With that, I say "goodbye" to Normal and "hello" to Nightmare. The Underground Passage is notoriously brutal, so we'll see how things go!

Code:
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     45  Rogue Enc.         No      4/12
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer   20  Dry Hills          No      1/12

Code:

Code:

Quickdeath with the Quickest Death ever!

First I will confess to [HIGHLIGHT]the most humiliating HC death in the history of the forum.[/HIGHLIGHT] Lizzie was killed by Corpsefire with 2 blows at the end of the "Stealth on the Blood Moors" task. She never killed a monster, in fact she never even struck a monster, She had made her way through the Den of Evil and approached Corpsefire, swung and missed. Corpsefire immediately hit her and her red bulb went to about 10%, she turned and began to run but Corpsefire swung again and it was Deeds. I was too stunned and sick at heart to check out Corpsefire's attributes.

So Quickdeath achieves the quickest death ever, DEEDS with a character that had earned ZERO experience - which considering that I am an experienced player who was genuinely trying - is really ignominious.

I considered not even mentioning this humiliating death, but honesty is the best policy and it is a good cautionary tale for other new 12 Labors Tournament players. With only your starting level of Vit, a bad roll on Corpsefire means that you could be vulnerable to a 1-hit to 2-hit Deeds. Be careful.

I created Lizzie2 and started play again. Lizzie2 had no problem at all with Corpsefire. She had one NDE in the Underground Passage when she went into an area that had dozens of Fallen and Black Rogues. However, she survived and has now liberated Deckard Cain. Her typical fighting style: she throws a slvl3 or 4 Plague Javelin or two into a crowd, then switches to a scepter with some +Lightning Damage, and finishes off the green-hued monsters in a blow or two. No S/U's yet, but she has found a Rare Hard Leather Armor with useful mods.

Code:
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     45  Rogue Enc.         No      4/12
Kestegs           AWorkingStiff     Necromancer   20  Dry Hills          No      1/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie2           Amazon        13  Dark Woods         No      1/12

Code:
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1 Corpsefire    No      0/12
Code:

Whehe. I will admit that I lost my first character to Corpsefire, too, but in my case I was taking a screenshot of the first hit and ended up being distracted by a conversation in the room. When I eventually looked back at the computer, my would-be druid was a goner. Fortunately, deaths don't sting much at zero experience.

Good luck with the amazon!

Re: Quickdeath with the Quickest Death ever!

R.I.P. BrusselSprouts.:dontknow:

Guess how? Stygian dolls. I thought I was being careful, but one was hiding behind a wall too close. Apparently it was enough to kill me in one hit.

I'm pretty bummed out about it, actually. I was really enjoying this character.

Good luck to the living.

Code:
Quickdeath        Lizzie2           Amazon        13  Dark Woods         No      1/12

Code:
Forum Name    Character Name    Class      Clvl  Current Location   Labours
===========================================================================
Nightfish     Hammertime        Paladin      60  Durance II         7/12
jdkerr        BrusselSprouts    Sorceress    51  Durance II         5/12
Quickdeath    Lizzie            Amazon        1  Corpsefire         0/12
Code:
[/QUOTE]

Hello, I am entering with a softcore druid by the name of Trevor the Timid. (I had him named even before reading about the tournament deaths so far, but now the name seems really appropriate.) Trevor has completed the first Labor and the first three quests. He is currently in the Black Marsh at level 15.

This small charm is my favorite drop to date. This popped out of a chest in the Crypt so Trevor had to wait a while before he could use it.

The plan is for Trevor to be a wind druid so he doesn't really have any skills yet for attacking monsters. Basically he's been running around bashing them with this club, which is the best weapon found to date. Hopefully the character will get a little more interesting to play when he gets up to level 24 and gets Tornado.

Update: Yikes, another death while I was composing my post! Condolences, jdkerr. I added BrusselsSprouts below.

Code:

Code:
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       60  Durance II         No      7/12
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     51  Durance II                 5/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1  Corpsefire         No      0/12

Code:
GoldenredDragon   Vein              Paladin       18  Inner Cloister      No     1/12
Jason Maher       Jacinta           Amazon        13  Rogue Encampment    No     1/12
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         15  Black Marsh         No     1/12

Last edited:

I'm also entering a character to the tourny, a fury/rager of the name BornToFolk (it's a reference to Flight of the Conchords, check them out, they're the best kiwi band you'll ever hear).

So far BornToFolk has has moved with relative ease through act 1 and the beginning of act 2. He's had absolutely no troubles with having /p8 the entire time, thus making me already level 22 in the beginning of act 2.

As far as drops go, I would post screenshots but I can't get on d2 right now, I restrict myself to 3 hours a day at most :D What I have found though, IS AWESOME. Bloodfist...and...Crushhhhflange. Goodbye Duriel!

Also, due to being a werewolf, I already have 400 life. Wooooot. I'll be needing it though, as the only weapons that are viable for me to use are scythes and great axes, both of which are two handed :/
BUT my Bloodfist gives 30% fhr, sooo I can't really complain.

I did have a recent close call, the super unique that guards the cube in Halls of the Dead spawned with extra strong cursed, which was fine at first, but as soon as amp damage proc'd, I was almost a dead man. Some quick rejuvs later though, I had the cube safely in my pack.

Code:
Jocular           BornToFolk        Druid         22  Dry Hills          Yes     1/12

Code:
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       60   Durance II        No     7/12
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     51   Durance II               5/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1   Corpsefire        No     0/12

Code:
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         15 Black Marsh         No      1/12
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

R.I.P. Brusselsprouts. Sorry for your loss, JD. The Durance II dolls are always dangerous - but they must really be juiced up to take out both jdkerr and Nightfish.

RIP all the deeds. Except Lizzie. Lol@Lizzie and Lol@Quickdeath living up to his name.

@Jocular: I'm sure you meant the 4th best Kiwi band you'll ever hear? ;)

RIP NF and JD.. I'm having trouble with my CDRom drive not being able to play.. I'll update somewhere when I fixed it :(

RIP all the deeds. Except Lizzie. Lol@Lizzie and Lol@Quickdeath living up to his name.

@Jocular: I'm sure you meant the 4th best Kiwi band you'll ever hear? ;)

*facepalm* How could I have forgotten that?! I was so disappointed they decided not to do a third season of FOTC :(

Quickdeath, a question about allowable skills in the Survival Labors - are we allowed to use a level 1 Twister? This seems to me similar to War Cry in that it has a stun effect, but it might well be prohibited as being an active attack. Apologies if it's already been mentioned.

JabberWalk has made some good progress. She has only had a few NDEs, all of which were when she was level 4, and tried to bite off more than she could chew. There was a set of champion spear maidens next to a bosspack of goatmen near the entrance to stony field, and she decided to take them all on at the same time. My plan was to make her incredibly tanky at later levels, so she deluded herself into thinking she was already incredibly tanky at level 4. She wasn't, and nearly died about 3 times. She did eventually triumph, however, even if it did take several trips to town for potions.

She started with 75% block, and tried to keep it that way, although in the very early levels she didn't always succeed. Still, even with a 30% block small shield, she never dipped below 50% chance to block. When she finally got to act II, she saw a shimmering bone shield of deflecting in the shops (+3% res all, 65% chance to block) and fell in love. After first putting it on, she went many, many levels without having to put a single point in dex, since she'd pumped it so high when she was using other, lesser sheilds.

She spent quite awhile in late act II levelling herself and her merc, and took on Duriel at level 27, when Azrael had barely enough dex to lift his shiny new savage battle scythe with the help of the +10 dex hat I made him. Unfortunately, she forgot to take a screenshot of duriel's chance to hit her, which would probably have been low. (Azrael is a defiance merc.) But it turned out not to be a hard fight, with a level 2 dodge, max block, a level advantage, and 300+ defense.

She breezed through act III, setting the /players to 1 for the whole thing. Since she was so overlevelled from act II, she only gained 1 level in the entire act, and faced /p1 meph only 1 level higher than she had faced /p8 duriel. Meph made more of a dent in her health and made dents more often, since he was using magical attacks, but he fell over dead much faster. Unfortunately, she also forgot to take a screenshot of meph's chance to hit her.

She put it back on /p8 for act IV, gained a valkyrie, slew izzy and hephasto, and gained both waypoints. She will be looking for gear (especially resistance gear) and levelling up for awhile before facing big D, and in particular will be trying to get the best possible Wirt's Leg for the challenge. She found a 3os one already, and is considering dumping 3 Iths in it. She also used gem recipes on another, and has spent many a chipped gem rerolling it.

Her best so far:
Code:
Vicious Wirt's Leg of Measure 
Wirt's Leg 
One Hand Damage: 6 - 10 
Durability: 55 of 66 
Required Level: 9 
Fingerprint: 0x4048ea24 
Item Level: 25 
Version: Expansion 1.10+ 
37% Enhanced Damage 
+4 to Minimum Damage 
+150% Damage to Undead 
1 Sockets (0 used)

Code:
ancalagon         JabberWalk        Amazon        30  River of Flame     No      3/12
Jocular           BornToFolk        Druid         22  Dry Hills          Yes     1/12

Code:
Nightfish         Hammertime        Paladin       60   Durance II        No     7/12
jdkerr            BrusselSprouts    Sorceress     51   Durance II               5/12
Quickdeath        Lizzie            Amazon         1   Corpsefire        No     0/12

Code:
Thaurus           TrevorTheTimid    Druid         15 Black Marsh         No      1/12

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High