Diablo ii patch 1.14 skill changes

Soepkieken

Oct 30, 2010
Diablo ii patch 1.14 skill changes

Hi all,

I’ve been playing diablo ii since its existence and have tried nearly every single build ranging from classic hammerdins, 2 frame strafezons and fishymancers, to kodiaks, enchantresses and singer/throwbarbs hybrids. I mostly played single player untwinked but the last years I’ve been twinking a lot as well, with the help of atma and the ladder-runeword enabler. When I play twinked, I obviously play my solo-games on players set to 8 all the way till the end.

Blizzard has always been very nice to the diablo community –applause-, but as for most of you I guess, 1.13 was a big disappointment for me: seeing how blizzard this time didn’t take any advice of their year-long fans. It was incredible to see that stash still having the same size, without a transfer area for example so we could stop using atma. It would even prevent me from duping once in a while, because with atma it’s just too easy.
What struck me the most however, were the skill changes: already not having invented new runewords or uniques for some final game-changing experience, they could have at least done a proper job in the skill department. But the skills that have been changed were either not asked for (shadow master, whirlwind, masteries, corpse explosion, fire wall), changed in a pathetic way (dragon claw, dragon talon, shockwave, blaze) or having the wrong thing changed (the problem of immolation arrow is the timer, they should have fixed that). The only thing they did right was nerving blessed hammer a bit and although I haven’t tested it yet myself, it seems to me that the hydra has been given the good boost. Also the damage increase to the werebear skill is some nice balancing, but what’s up with the 1% defense increase? Why not 0,5% next time?

After so many years of many people still playing diablo ii, I figured that a 1.14 should still come out before the release of diablo iii, so we can once more have a nostalgic time trying new builds awaiting the third serie of the game we love so much. My aim hereunder is limited to adjusting the skills that so far are barely or even not at all used. Nothing is revolutionary or game-breaking, my 1.14 skill change proposition just aims at making every single skill of the game end-game viable without being overpowered. This should stimulate the variety of builds after 1.14.

Amazon:

Magic arrow

Problem: underused because, although the idea of magic damage is nice, it’s just not enough to make it worthwhile.
Solution: instead of a meager 1% converted per skill level, a 2,5% would make it a good skill. Some zons would try to reach a high level magic arrow to come close to fire pure magic damage arrows at skill level 40.

Immolation arrow

Problem: the timer.
Solution: the boosts of 1.13 can be cancelled and the timer should just be removed and you would suddenly see a whole lot more of immozons.

Inner sight

Problem: no one uses it because zons have better ways of increasing their chance to hit.
Solution: this might be a bit more drastic, but I would add a new feature to it, for example: make it a synergy to slow missiles in a way that when you cast slow missiles, the effects of inner sight are applied to it as well. It would also encourage players to cast slow missiles in pvm more often, which is a cool skill but also underused.

Impale

Problem: so slow that the chance is big your impale will be interrupted before it lands.
Solution: Make it uninterruptable.

Fend

Problem: it is bugged, often you miss all strikes.
Solution: fix the bug and make it uninterruptable too.
Extra: a synergy between jab, impale and fend would also make them more worthwhile (jab gives AR synergies to the other two, impale gives damage synergies and fend a mix of both).

Assassin:

Charge-up skills

Problem: because of the time it takes to charge up, the damage per second is very low.
Solution: all elemental charge-ups could use a significant damage boost over all ranks.

Dragon claw

Problem: even after 1.13, the damage is still very low.
Solution: add more damage per skill rank.

Psychic hammer

Problem: which idiot has put those damage values? And what was he smoking while doing that?? Seriously, after 13 patches still seeing this utterly useless skill in its original state, something has to be done about it.
Solution: “… to crush and knock back your enemies†lists the description. We could take that literally and add 1% crushing blow to it per level. If this is a too drastic change, multiplying the damage values with a factor between 5 and 10 after synergies from cloak of shadows and mind blast would make some assassins investing in and using the skill.

Blade sentinel and blade shield

Problem: they just don’t do very much, except from looking very cool.
Solution: add all effects to the sentinel (crushing blow, freeze, open wounds,…) and some extra to blade shield (maybe not crushing blow or knockback, that would make it too much of a must-have).

Wake of inferno

Problem: bugged and too thin fire line.
Solution: very easy: fix the bug and make the fire stream a bit thicker.

Necromancer:

Raise skeletal mage

Problem: although used with left-over skill points, they are considered annoying because they die all the time and don’t do much damage.
Solution: a very minor boost that can however be appreciated: make them immune to the element they cast. It also makes sense. For their damage check the change of the lower resist curse below.

Fire golem

Problem: only used in pvp by poisonmancers to remove the last life point.
Solution: a very serious base damage boost would make him more popular in pvm.

Teeth

Problem: inferior to spear and spirit.
Solution: remove the 24 max teeth cap so you can have teeth all around you (level 50 teeth should be able to spawn them 270° around you)! The dentist is a too cool character build name to see so few of them.

Weaken

Problem: did someone ever intentionally cast this? Decrepify “weakens†better!
Solution: a 1% increase per rank would at least lift the decreased damage above that of decrepify at level 20 (52%) and would give it a use in pvp. Casting a level 35 weaken (total damage -67%) on a barb or a smiter would make a lot of sense.

Iron maiden

Problem: obsolete past normal.
Solution: just like thorns and spirit of barbs it should scale versus monsters in nightmare and again in hell to keep up with their damage/life ratio.

Lower resist

Problem: only used by poisonmancers.
Solution: the day summoners started casting lower resist: in 1.14 it works at double effect for skeletal mages and other summons/hirelings that are attacking a monster cursed by this (resists -124 percent versus minions at level 20). This and the fire golem boost could give rise to a new type of necro-summoner. The iron wolves would also be finally used (btw: they should fix the fire type iron wolf too).

Barbarian:

Bash

Problem: very weak combat skill compared to the others.
Solution: give bash an inherent 25% crushing blow. Not only people would start using it, but barbarian mercenaries would also be used a bit more instead of the act2merc-all-over-the-place.

Double swing

Problem: the damage.
Solution: even now in 1.14, people are more inclined to put points in its bash synergy, it still needs a mild damage boost per skill level.

Stun

Problem: underpowered.
Solution: more AR and longer stun duration would be fair. Again this would benefit the popularity of act V mercenaries.

For the rest the other barbarian skills already all serve a purpose.

Paladin:

The aura’s

With all the items and mercenaries giving aura’s I don’t feel like changing many because of the extended impact on many other characters. It’s true that might is in any way inferior to concentration, but you can have them both so it makes it useful again. The only underused aura’s are:

Cleansing

Problem: underpowered
Solution: it should come with some poison resistance as well.

Holy fire

Problem: doesn’t match holy shock in any way
Solution: because we don’t want to overpower auradins hit-damage, why not just significantly increase only its pulse damage so it would be the aura used for its pulse (different than shock or freeze). I would love to play a pulsadin! The pulse damage should still be much weaker compared to using normal attacks, but it should be able to do enough damage to build your character around it (with a dual dragon, hand of justice, maxed synergies and a conviction aura in the best case).

Thorns

Problem: the life/damage ratio of monsters in hell.
Solution: just like iron maiden and spirit of barbs, it needs scaling vs monsters in nightmare and hell. Kamikaze pallies should return! Thorns is available on a mercenary and an armor and still no-one really wants them (in the case of the armor the reason to wear it is solely for its poison boost, not for the thorns).

Sanctuary

Problem: it doesn’t seem to do what it says + it only works against undead.
Solution: we don’t want to overpower the items that carry this aura, so just a fix of the bugs on it is sufficient.

Holy bolt

Problem: moving on to the combat skills, this is the one that no pally uses. It can go over 10k magic damage though (!), but it sadly only works against undead, hence the neglect.
Solution: make it work at 1/4 effectiveness vs demons, and at 1/10 against any other (beasts, players, minions except undead minions) and you will see a new fun build using holy bolt all the time without being overpowered. Like this you can also have a healer in multiplayer that is not an absolute loser on his own.

Sorceress:

Inferno

Problem: bugged.
Solution: remove the bug, life is simple.

Blaze

Problem: no one uses it, although it’s pretty cool, but not very effective.
Solution: 1.13 tried but failed. Blaze doesn’t need synergies, it should be one (for firewall for example, instead of what 1.13 did)! Like this people have actually a good reason to max it, and if they have it why wouldn’t they use it? Could last at least 10 seconds longer from the start though.

Charged bolt

Problem: potentially good skill, but obsolete because of the better lightning/chain lightning spells.
Solution: lift the cap of 24 bolts to let’s say 33 bolts. On paper it would be overpowered but then again a sorceress needs to get so close to make all the bolts strike, which is dangerous play for a caster, that it balances out.

The cold shields

Problem: not worth the points and the synergies have few real effect.
Solution: the synergies should also boost defense. If per hard point invested in 1 shield skill, the other two would get a 5% to 10% defense synergy bonus, then it would make these skills more viable to invest an amount of points in. A blessing for the enchantress (commonly seen as a weak build) and finally another possible high-defense character aside from the barbarian and paladin.

Frost nova

Problem: crappy damage.
Solution: a serious base damage boost.

Druid:

Fire spells

Problem: although the fire spells are very cool, a sorceress is a much better pure caster then a fire druid so they are seen as weak.
Solution: first some overall increase of the base damage of fire spells, and furthermore reduced timers for molten boulder and for pretty much all the other fire spells too.

Arctic blast

Problem: same as with inferno: bugged.
Solution: same as with inferno: remove the bug.

Cyclone armor and hurricane

Problem: in itself these skills don’t have a problem, but in wereform you cannot use them and that’s a big pity. No-one sees why exactly this should be the case.
Solution: both are castable in wereform. Here come the polar bears!

Maul

Problem: annoying to keep fully charged, so in average you are only using it at half its effect.
Solution: if it had a 5% to 8% damage synergy from shockwave, you would be more inclined to use it instead of fire claws or hunger.

Hunger

Problem: kodiaks can be strong builds, but only if they stack a serious amount of crushing blow.
Solution: damage -75% is very drastic. Let’s make it -66% at level 1, with a 1% increase per level, so level 20 hunger would represent a much more acceptable -47%. This would enable Kodiaks based on physical damage, given they have maxed werebear, have enough strength and a fortitude armor and a high damage weapon like grief.

The creepers

Problem: this bunch of guys rarely get more than one point in them and are never missed when they die.
Solution: they should all synergy each other’s life for more durability. Poison creeper should get poison damage synergies from the two other vines to make its poison damage significant. For carrion vine a really nice change could be that it corpse explodes when eating a corpse (a weak one: 30%-60%, but same radius increase as normal corpse explosion), but that could be found too drastic. The solar creeper on its turn could carry the healing ability of the (hard points invested in) carrion vine as well, the same way meditation works with prayer. With these drastic changes, a druid with fully maxed vines could be fun to play, and still far from overpowered as he can only hold 1 vine at the time.

Summon spirit wolf

Problem: obsolete when you get dire wolves.
Solution: something very sensible heard on many forums: their damage should simply be magic and there’s a reason to cast them.

Spirit of barbs

Problem: the same as thorns and iron maiden
Solution: not only the aforementioned scaling is necessary, but also an extra 10% per rank increase to his reflection damage would be needed: compared to thorns and amplify damage he is on the too low side.

Extra note on druid summoning: the grizzly bear should be allowed to co-exist with either dire or spirit wolves. The necromancer has such a bunch of minions while the druid not even a handful. That’s why summoners are generally equivalent to necro-summoners till now.

That’s it! I hope in the future we’ll see a lot more immozons, spearzons, (psychic) hammersins (!), bladesins, elemental summoners, dentists, double swingers, pulsadins, kamikazadins, boltdins, blazebabes, defenseresses, arctic blasters, very hungry kodiaks and pure druid summoners, amongst many other rarely-seen characters today.

Thanks for reading this suggestion list, I hope many of you will add comments/suggestions/realistic additions/constructive criticism so we can come to a final result that will be implemented by blizzard in the ultimate patch 1.14.

New interesting runewords and uniques (but none overpowered like enigma, grief, breath of the dying and the likes, just: interesting ones), an exciting hidden quest and maybe even some new monsters would be great, but if we’ll already get these skill changes and a bigger stash with a transfer area, I think many diablo fans will one last time return to their old classic, puzzling new characters together, before the arrival of the long-awaited Diablo iii.

Re: Diablo ii patch 1.14 skill changes

That's a really serious and thought through post Soepkieken. This inspired my own list :scratchchin:

Definitely blizzard don't see to us d2 fans like they should. We practically made them what they are! :p It is quite ridiculous actually. They don't even think twice about some things like the fact that Brother Laz made lots of changes that everybody here would enjoy (boosted AI, serious endgame, great skill balance) while all some ronery employee over at blizz did was a "boosted" immolation shot.

They just don't understand the game anymore. For instance, even if hydra one shotted everything in the game, it would still be worse than blizzard. It's the timer on it that sucks. It would rock if it were cast-rate based, with cap on 10/15 hydras simultaneously, and started shooting the instant they popped.. now that is a level 30 skill.

I just came up with an 1.14 idea of my own: merging skills.

Instead of lame respecc tokens, the prime evils drop essences (much rarer drop rate for this one) that if cubed and then used, lets you merge hydra with static field, or so. So every firebolt hit also emits a static field. overpowered, well, maybe, but it can be regulated (small aoe/less percentage on static dmg).. This would make for fun endgame play. Just ad several uberlevels for players to tear apart with their new 100million different merged-skill-builds.

Hi Soepkieken, and welcome to the forums!! :waves: Nice first post! My first post was pretty involved too! ;)

You have a lot of good ideas there, there is still a lot of room for improvement in D2. Here are some my thoughts on some of your ideas:

Amazon:
Magic arrow: Good idea, I've always thought that skill had a lot of wasted potential.
Fend: I like the synergy idea, Impale should add damage, but I think Jab should add attack speed.

Necromancer:
Raise skeletal mage: Making them immune to their own element would be brilliant! Or at least make them highly resistant!

Paladin:
Cleansing: Should totally add Poison Res! Common sense!
Thorns: I've always like Thorns and wished it scaled up better.
Holy bolt: Personally, I've always though HB should do full damage to Demons! I mean, it's the power of Light isn't it? Maybe roll back the synergy boost a little and make it to where it'll work on Demons at full power.

Sorceress:
Inferno (and Arctic Blast): I've been waiting for this forever, but I think I've realized the problem. If you fix the bug, monsters that use those for attacks will do A LOT more damage, and they're already pretty heavy hitters. Those attacks would have to be scaled down too.
Frost nova: With great gear and full synergies, it can actually get up to somewhat usable damage, but yeah, a damage boost would be great.

---

@Mungo: I've always liked the idea of a skill system like that, but doing something on THAT scale would a massive overhaul and just isn't in the stars for D2 I'm afraid. I've thought of systems like that on my own though, and it could be really awesome.

Thanks for these fast nice replies guys! Glad to see that also other people didn't give up on tuning our old and loved diablo ii.

About Mungojerry's merging idea, I'm afraid I have to agree with Technomancer that this would imply such an immense change, it wouldn't only be a too big and hard programming job for Blizzard on their old game, but many year-long fans would also protest seeing everything what they've always known so far coming to an end. I myself find it interesting but I'm also cautious, because such a revolutionary change to the game should be implied with a lot of care. After what we've seen on 1.13 we shouldn't expect such a thing to happen.
That's why my list almost always stays with the core essence of every skill, adjusting it in a certain direction or adding something small on it to make it worthwhile. Only in a handfull of cases I suggest adding a new feature to it because the skill in itself would otherwise never be worth much anyway (like the corpse explosion effect added to the carrion vine e.g.).

Technomancers suggestions:

Jab adding attack speed would be an uncommon synergy (that's why I didn't think about it), but a very interesting one, especially seen the speed of impale. I highly agree on this one!

The Holy bolt case: it does make sense indeed that "the power of the Light" would also fully work against demons, but I somehow thought that if it still doesn't do anything against non-undead/non-demons, you would see few people investing in it because of their problems with beasts and the complete uselessness of holy bolt in pvp. I also wanted to stick more to the initial design of it as an anti-undead spell, hence the 1/4 and 1/10 penalties against demons and all the rest respectively. I guess on this one we need to see more opinions and debate...

Inferno and Arctic: good remark! The skill level of the monsters who use these should be scaled down when the bug is fixed, otherwise frozen creepers and venom lords would be way too dangerous. I didn't think about it but now that you mention it, I think everyone will agree on this point.

I have a problem with one thing in your post.

Psychic Hammer - assassins don't use this for the damage, they use it for the knockback. positioning the enemy is invaluable for both martial artists AND trappers. Additionally it has a chance to convert mobs for a short period of time, giving monsters a distraction while you pummel them. Even if it did no damage I would still use it.

I have a problem with one thing in your post.

Psychic Hammer - assassins don't use this for the damage, they use it for the knockback. positioning the enemy is invaluable for both martial artists AND trappers. Additionally it has a chance to convert mobs for a short period of time, giving monsters a distraction while you pummel them. Even if it did no damage I would still use it.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Mind Blast, Mara?

@Marahumm nitpicking: Psychic Hammer doesn't convert. You're thinking of Mind Blast I think.

Welcome to the forums Soepkieken! We can only hope these changes happen, especially shape-shifters casting spells (besides the worthless Armageddon which should be improved in some way too), and taking the timer off of Immolation Arrow (and the druid fire skills).

I think Fend is already uninterruptible, they just need to fix the D/A/E bug that plagues the zon (the main reason I don't have a Valkyrie on any of my zons).

edit: Noodle pwned me

correction, you both pwned ME /shame

pwned.jpg

On the Holy Bolt issue, there are a LOT more Demons and Undead than Animal types, so a fairly small minority of enemies would be immune. If you look at Sorcs and how they have to deal with immunes (by going dual-element), a Paladin could do the same, pumping up Holy Bolt+synergies for most enemies, then using Fist of the Heavens or physical attacks for the rest. I could see a build go something like this:

20 HB
20 FOH
20 Holy Shock
20 Resist Lightning
5 Zeal

OR:

20 HB
20 FOH
20 Blessed Hammer
20 Prayer
1 Meditation

Of course, that's not even getting into RWs. ;)

@Mara: Haha, don't sweat it, I've stuck my foot in my mouth a couple times lately. :p

Immolation arrow

Problem: the timer.
Solution: the boosts of 1.13 can be cancelled and the timer should just be removed and you would suddenly see a whole lot more of immozons.
If you remove the delay from Immolation Arrow you effectively turn it into Exploding Arrow, since the vast majority of its damage would be applied by the arrow and explosion (most monsters would die before pyre damage could accumulate). To maintain its separate character its fire damage per second should be drastically increased, since at the moment the damage increase per level is the same at level >28 as it is from level 1 onwards (by comparison, arrow and explosion damage increase per level is about three times higher at level >28 than it is from level 1 onwards).

Fend

Problem: it is bugged, often you miss all strikes.
Solution: fix the bug and make it uninterruptable too.
Technically Fend is already flagged so that it cannot be interrupted, and one of the problems is that this doesn't apply to Dodge and Avoid.

Weaken

Problem: did someone ever intentionally cast this? Decrepify “weakens†better!
Solution: a 1% increase per rank would at least lift the decreased damage above that of decrepify at level 20 (52%) and would give it a use in pvp. Casting a level 35 weaken (total damage -67%) on a barb or a smiter would make a lot of sense.
Unlike Decrepify, Weaken's radius increases per level, and it lasts longer: you wouldn't use it against a single target or group instead of Decrepify, but it will have some effect on larger groups more quickly (for example, if you're being fired upon by monsters beyond the edge of the screen then you can cast Weaken at the edge of the screen to reduce their damage).

Weaken (and Decrepify) apply -% Enhanced Damage: -67% ED would have little impact on Barbarians or Paladins who could be applying more than +1,000% ED.

Holy fire

Problem: doesn’t match holy shock in any way
Solution: because we don’t want to overpower auradins hit-damage, why not just significantly increase only its pulse damage so it would be the aura used for its pulse (different than shock or freeze). I would love to play a pulsadin! The pulse damage should still be much weaker compared to using normal attacks, but it should be able to do enough damage to build your character around it (with a dual dragon, hand of justice, maxed synergies and a conviction aura in the best case).
Holy Fire's attack fire damage is added to the explosions of Exploding Arrow, so equipping Demon Machine Cho-Ko-Nu (Fires Exploding Arrows or Bolts and 66% Pierce) and Razortail Sharkskin Belt (33% Pierce) can result in quite an effective ranged radial attack.

The radial and attack damage of Holy aurae are linked: Holy Fire's attack fire damage is 6 times its radial fire damage; Holy Freeze's attack cold damage is 5 times its radial cold damage; and Holy Shock's attack maximum lightning damage is 6 times its radial maximum lightning damage.

The rate at which the Holy aurae apply their radial damage (currently once every two seconds) could be increased though, although this may affect performance and result in more lag on-line.

Inferno

Problem: bugged.
Solution: remove the bug, life is simple.
I'm pretty sure Inferno isn't bugged mechanically (mana cost calculation and application of magic damage reduction (reduced to approximately 2/25) are also consistent with missiles being fired and applying damage every other frame), but its displayed damage is only half its actual damage. Regardless, I agree that if they fix the displayed damage they should increase the actual damage values as well.

Inferno (and Arctic Blast): I've been waiting for this forever, but I think I've realized the problem. If you fix the bug, monsters that use those for attacks will do A LOT more damage, and they're already pretty heavy hitters. Those attacks would have to be scaled down too.
Monsters don't use Sorceress Inferno or Druid Arctic Blast, they use their own versions of these skills. If I'm right about there being no underlying mechanical bug (and its simply a display error), then improving Inferno and Arctic Blast would have no impact.

About Onderduikers (you're a Dutch-speaker too I guess) remarks:

Immolation:
Removing the timer WOULD allow to increase the unique aspect of the skill: the fire pyre. Because you can stack the pyres so much more quickly, that the damage per second of such a stacked pyre would go up a lot.
I guess you're right about the fact that it would overrule explosion arrow though: good point! We don't want to bring one skill back in the game to cancel another one. I guess the explosion damage of immo should greatly be reduced, the burning damage upped a bit and a removal of the timer and then Immo is a nice option aside explosion arrow, serving another purpose and needing another fighting strategy.

Fend:
Indeed, it's true, there is the problem with the dodging, in itself it's not bugged. Could still see it as a kind of bug though. And they could still do something about it.

Weaken:
On this one I don't agree: -33% is just not worth casting it, bigger radius and longer duration (then decrepify) or not. About the pvp part I admit you are completely right.

Holy fire:
There might be some specialized builds who can make use of it, but I just wanted to bring in the pulse damage in the game. I still think that the gap of attack damage being 6 times the radial (I always called it pulse) is not making worth your build concentrating on the pulse part. Why couldn't this aura be nerfed just a tiny bit and have its pulse damage pretty much equalling its attack damage? If the two seconds decrease would cause lag problems, I think it's better to just beef up the damage.

Inferno:
Well, bug or no bug, it should at least do what the screen says, the same for arctic blast. There is a reason no-one uses them and if the damage would properly be like shown these skills could be worth it.

Technomancer: your holy bolt hybrid builds make sense, still it's a pity the skill is useless in pvp. I'm still divided between your and my suggestion. I would still like to see more opinions about it.

The psychic hammer issue, yes, mind blast is great if that's what you had in mind. When I first read your post I was very surprised that someone actually uses psychic hammer ;-).

No, you haven't. Such a creature doesn't exist. http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635851

Hmm, at that time I thought it did exist and I was actually playing with it. Failed to see the difference between 2 and 3 frames, I just trusted what I read somewhere on a forum. Still, my strafezon was fun: a bit classical geared (fortitude, faith GM, geglaw's pincers, atma's scarab, 35%IAS [socketed Andariels],...) so not very original but fun.
Let's say I just played a strafezon that fired her arrows "rather quickly" ;-).

Yeah, with that gear, a strafer would rock.

It's all those torches I stack.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High