Low Level Dueling: Come one, come all!

jdkerr

Dec 13, 2008
Low Level Dueling: Come one, come all!

Narrative Introduction

jdkerr: Have you ever been interested in PvP, but thought it wasn't for you because you don't have Gawdly Hax Gearz (tm)?
omg: Why... no, not really. After all, I do have such equipment.
Nagisa: I kil u with pwn runez lolllol!11!!!
Everyone else, in chorus: YES! PLEASE TELL US MORE!

(All due apologies to two of my favorite forum members, with whom I have had many hours of good PvP fun.)

What is Low Level Dueling (LLD)?

It is many things. On these forums, we have at various time done "ALLD" (Accessible Low Level Dueling), which takes place between characters that are no higher than level eighteen. In the context of this post, however, we are using the plain designation "LLD" to refer to dueling that takes place between characters that are no higher than level thirty. Your lvl30 character and my lvl30 character jump into the Moor, square off, and pummel each other into the dirt.

...or rather, I pummel yours into the dirt. :whistling:

What are the advantages?

For one, character investment time is low. Instead of spending hours leveling a character into the mid-90s, all you need do is hit lvl30. Also, wealth requirements are low. The kind of gear that characters can wear at lvl30 is the sort of stuff that trades for a handful of pgems at most. The only real exception is the Stone of Jordan ring, which is more expensive and may be desired for certain builds, but is not necessary. LLD is an easy and fun way to get your feet wet in the PvP scene. For those who are used to high level dueling, LLD can be an enjoyable alternative, requiring you to formulate an entirely different set of build possibilities and strategies.

Compared to lvl18 dueling, lvl30 dueling allows much greater build flexibility with equipment, stat points, and skill selection. It is also more friendly to caster characters, if that is your style.

What are the rules?

Well, characters obviously cannot be higher than lvl30. We also prohibit glitch-rushing your character through the game, so characters cannot have completed any quests past "Normal" difficulty. For practical purposes, there is no reason to complete any quests past the first one in Act 4 Normal.

Beyond that, I think we use the standard SPF PvP ruleset:

-- No potions (except mana potions), mercs, wells, or shrines.
-- No recasting Cyclone and Bone Armour.
-- No minions that cannot be summoned in town with the exception of Decoy.
-- No Holy Freeze, Decrepify, Slow Missiles, or Bone Prison.
-- No mass slow (>10%), no mass poison from items (>200), no mass replenish (>25).
-- No curse charges (this includes Slow Missiles). Chance to cast is acceptable.
-- No over absorb. Limit 2 items per element with the standard ban on Rising Sun and Black Oak.
-- Mana potions are allowed for all characters except ES based sorcs

(I am not sure if the absorb rules are relevant, actually, since most of the absorb gear cannot be equipped at lvl30. There is a problem with fire sorb, though. Do we just ban any resists over 75%? I did not find anything in the last thread. Any ideas?)

(Also, if there are any errors here, let me know. This is just what I remember, and I could be mistaken.)

Conclusion

Before my "restart," I had just begun doing some LLD and thought it was great fun. In fact, I was more excited about it than any other aspect of D2 at the time. I would love to get back into it, and I plan on putting together a character or two very soon. Anyone interested?

EDIT: Link to the last thread.

Last edited:
Re: Low Level Dueling: Come one, come all!

Do you think a blade fury assassin could be viable?

I have three character ideas: charger (which you've seen before), fire sorc (with the circlet you gave me), and BFsin (with a secret weapon I made :evil:).

For practical purposes, there is no reason to complete any quests past the first one in Act 4 Normal.

I would expect more elemental builds this time around, so the +resists scroll from act 5 could be a very big thing to allow or not.

Fire Sorc
Fire Druid
MA assassin (Fire claw)

All of these would be hurt to some extent by the free 10 resists.

Keep in mind that those extra resists are bugged, so they only work until your first death. I don't see any point in allowing them.

@Snicker: I was thinking about a BF sin myself. Others probably have a more informed opinion (omg, perhaps? he uses BF sometimes). And I am not looking forward to the deaths that I will receive at the hand of that circlet. :p We'll see how you do against my own gg circlet... ;)

@Ashmer: The resists are bugged. It is better not to get the scroll of resistance so that your LCS displays the accurate resists; factoring in the bug all the time is a [minor] pain. If we allowed glitch-rushing, I would still deliberately not get any of the scrolls.

@All: I have two characters ready to go, so just let me know when you're up for some games. I can host.

@LeWoVoc: You have any build ideas in mind?

I really want to do this. LLD is teh bomb #1!
I just have to make a contender.

EDIT:
question.
Is it ok to use peace on a ww barb seeing as slow missile is bm?

Last edited:

i've been hoping to (some day) do some LLDing in SP. dont think i could join you as of yet, but maybe some time soon.

@Obdob: CtC effects should be fine. Let me know when your character is ready!

@crawlingdeadman: Why wait? Make one now and see how it goes!

I'm pretty busy with work/school, but I got an assassin up to level 16 today, and I'll find time to get her to 30 over the course of the week. Then I'll work on the sorceress, and I'll have a nice trio.

Still planning my skills for the assassin. I think 1 point in BF is enough, though.

jdkerr: Are you in 1.13c FAM? Or are you vanilla now?

Id definitely be in for this... wanted to PvP but just didnt have the time to seach for the roonz :p Im gonna try for some kind of bear build, may be crazy but we'll see. That and maybe a bowazon.

EDIT: The more i look the more different builds i want to have at least a go with... Also are there any restrictions on charm amount? i saw some discussion on the old thread but it has yet to be mentioned.

Last edited:

Doh, no glitch rushing :/ Where is the fun in that ? :)

Edit : I never knew the bug with the scroll. What's up with that ?

Doh, no glitch rushing :/ Where is the fun in that ? :)

Part of the point of lld is to get more people to do pvp, but allowing glitch rushing would then exclude anyone who didn't want to use the modified dll. It's also supposed to be low on time investment.

Edit : I never knew the bug with the scroll. What's up with that ?

Yeah, it's annoying.

Hi jdkerr , It seems like I was not able to make impression from HLD in you. 1.13 final patch seems to be enough fair even to players which are not hunting runes so much beacuse enigma is quite easy to reach and other stuff you should have.
I am not saying that LLD is not so good but I like HLD a more so,
I am waiting for you in blood moor but take with you some HLD char.

oh, i may. i see the "no glitch rushing" which would have been one of the things i couldnt do anyway, so maybe.

I have a lvl30 Paladin and a lvl30 Druid all geared up and ready to go. Let's get this party started next weekend! I'm also happy to host or join before then, of course.

@Ojimijam: There are no restrictions on charms, although that is open to discussion.

@SnickerSnack: I am 1.13c SC FAM.

@bassano: You made quite an impression on my, my friend. I have been actively involved in the HLD scene, and you will see plenty of my on the Hell Moor. ;)

@crawlingdeadman: Let's turn that "maybe" into an "absolutely." My toons have an insatiable appetite for ears, you know...

I guess I'll make some misery of character and join the fun.
Nothing that can match dual Spirit/dual SoJ hammerdins or whacked up fire sorceress, but I'll do my best :)

Assuming I can get motivated enough to level a character to 30, add another potential ear to your future collection.

I say we get rid of mana potions though. :S

EDIT: BY THE WAY, just what kind of ridiculous image of me are you trying to give people? :p

@Frozzzen: I will see you on the Moor, good sir. We'll see how it goes with my hammerdin, but you will walk all over my ill-fated druid. :p

@Nagisa: U r totaly pwnd u wil has no earz left roflmao! o_O

Actually, every character I have considered building has had one primary test to pass: how will it deal with the inevitable hybrid zon that Nagisa will bring to the table? :(

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High