Random Tournament 2020 Stay/Shelter-in-Place/Home Edition

I'm a bit late to the party, but if someone feels like rolling me up something completely random, I'll give it a shot!

Reactions: Babyhell
Yay! Glad to see some new blood :) I should be able to roll you one here shortly

Logoutzero:

Class roll: 1-7 on the character select screen. You rolled 4 - BARBARIAN

Forever Skills (Warcries = 1, Combat Masteries = 2, Combat Skills = 3)
2-6 = Spear Mastery
2-9 = Increased Speed
1-8 = Grim Ward

Normal Skills
1-6 = Find Item
2-8 = Iron Skin
2-6 = Spear Mastery (rerolled to 1-9 = War Cry)
3-1 = Bash
3-10 = Berserk

Equipment:
Light Armour
Leather Gloves
Bone Helm
Plated Belt
Heavy Boots
Fanged Helm

Weapons (I don't really get how this works with 1H/2H, etc, so if I do this wrong someone please let me know. Spear comes from Spear Mastery. The others I'm assigning 1-12 based on the order on the Arreat Summit, spears excluded)
Spear
Light Crossbow
Long Staff

You can lock one normal skill to be a forever skill if you like. You can also reroll one forever skill, one equipment slot, and a weapon type should you choose to do so. Rerolls?

Last edited:
Logoutzero:

Class roll: 1-7 on the character select screen. You rolled 4 - BARBARIAN

2-6 = Spear Mastery
2-9 = Increased Speed
1-8 = Grim Ward

Normal Skills
1-6 = Find Item
2-8 = Iron Skin
3-1 = Bash
3-10 = Berserk

Equipment:
Light Armour
Leather Gloves
Bone Helm
Plated Belt
Heavy Boots
Fanged Helm

Weapons (I don't really get how this works with 1H/2H, etc, so if I do this wrong someone please let me know. Spear comes from Spear Mastery. The others I'm assigning 1-11 per the tables on page 1, swords =1, polearms = 6, skip spear, crossbows = 11, etc)
Spear
11-1 = Light Crossbow
8-2 = Long Staff

You can lock one normal skill to be a forever skill if you like. You can also reroll one forever skill, one equipment slot, and a weapon type should you choose to do so

I would say with Spear Mastery, I should have 2 rolls on the spear table, and then another roll on another random class. The "random character" portion of the main post contains this info, so, I would say based on that, "Spear" should be rerolled on a 1-5, and either the Crossbow or Long Staff should also be a roll on the Spear table. I'll let you decide which. My understanding is, with the Spear Mastery, I should have 2xSpears, and something else random.

Reroll on Increased Speed (forever skill) and lock Berserk (normal skill).

I would say with Spear Mastery, I should have 2 rolls on the spear table, and then another roll on another random class. The "random character" portion of the main post contains this info, so, I would say based on that, "Spear" should be rerolled on a 1-5, and either the Crossbow or Long Staff should also be a roll on the Spear table. I'll let you decide which. My understanding is, with the Spear Mastery, I should have 2xSpears, and something else random.

Reroll on Increased Speed (forever skill) and lock Berserk (normal skill).

Sounds good. I like having ranged options in tournaments, so I'll reroll Long Staff to Spetum

Increased Speed -> 2-5 = Throwing Mastery, which I believe auto-rerolls. Do I roll the tree again? Or do I just re-roll within masteries?

Sounds good. I like having ranged options in tournaments, so I'll reroll Long Staff to Spetum

Increased Speed -> 2-5 = Throwing Mastery, which I believe auto-rerolls. Do I roll the tree again? Or do I just re-roll within masteries?

I would say Throwing Mastery should re-roll, since I don't have access to any throwing weapons.
Are my spears "Spear" and "Spetum"?

Edit: If I were rolling this character for someone, I would re-roll tree and slot. Dealer's choice!
Edit 2: Even though I am using 2H weapons, I should still have a shield roll. Might matter if I end up going A3 merc!

Last edited:
I would say Throwing Mastery should re-roll, since I don't have access to any throwing weapons.
Are my spears "Spear" and "Spetum"?

Edit: If I were rolling this character for someone, I would re-roll tree and slot. Dealer's choice!
I like rolling tree and slot. New skill: 1-7 = Battle Orders!
Good catch on spear, i forgot to roll the item itself. Your first roll is spetum. Second roll is 2 = Trident.

Logoutzero's Barbarian:

2-6 = Spear Mastery
2-9 = Increased Speed -> Battle Orders
1-8 = Grim Ward
3-10 = Berserk

Normal Skills
1-6 = Find Item
2-8 = Iron Skin
3-1 = Bash

Equipment:
Light Armour
Leather Gloves
Bone Helm
Plated Belt
Heavy Boots
Fanged Helm

Weapons (I don't really get how this works with 1H/2H, etc, so if I do this wrong someone please let me know. Spear comes from Spear Mastery. The others I'm assigning 1-12 based on the order on the Arreat Summit, spears excluded)
Trident
Spetum
Light Crossbow

Reactions: Babyhell
When looking at what Daz (thanks!) rolled up for me, I immediately thought about Odin from the original Dungeons & Dragons supplement VII, Gods, Demi-gods, and Heroes.

Odin uses a spear, and everything around him cowers in fear. His spear, Gungnir, provides a blessing to any that touch it. Spears, Grim Ward (for fear), Battle Orders (for the blessing, I guess?) seem to fit well.

So, Odin used his starter Hatchet long enough to scrape up enough coins to buy a Light Crossbow, then plinked away in the Blood Moor until I could get a Trident. He's gambled for some Heavy Boots and Leather Gloves, but just very basic rares with some random 5% resistance and +STR and +DEX.

A Jewel of Envy dropped in the Underground Passage, and that immediately went into a 2os Hard Leather. I pumped STR to 77 and DEX to 35 in order to prepare for at least Fuscina and Spetum, and Yaris are only a bit above that at 101 STR. Stygian Pikes will cost a total of 215 stat points, and Ghost Spears 235. Although the high DEX requirement might not be completely wasted, I think the stat cost is too high and in the wrong direction, costing easily close to 150 hit points thanks to Battle Orders if those 20 extra stats were put into VIT. Of course, I doubt I'll even make it that far.

A few points into Find Item and Spear Mastery, a point in Bash (useful against Blood Raven and Coldcrow!) so far. Nothing really interesting so far, decided to take a break before venturing into the Dark Wood.

I've been thinking about mercs a bit, and Blessed Aim/Holy Freeze seem to be top contenders. The common weapon type seems like a big boon, I just can't decide if the boost to attack, or the safety net would be better. Grim Wards will help on the safety department a bit, but all the +AR in the world isn't worth anything after deeds. I've got some time to decide, anyway.

Odin, level 14 pokey-guy, Dark Wood up next.

I'm rolling through Act 5 today, and I think I'll finish it tonight or tomorrow. Can someone roll me up for Hell? Here's what I currently have:

Maul
Great Maul->Mace
Bardiche

Armor:
Heavy Armor
Large Shield
Great Helm
Leather Gloves
Light Plated Boots
Belt
Fanged Helm[/spoiler]

Forever Skills
Find Item
Natural Resistance
Concentrate
Mace Mastery

Nightmare Skills
Whirlwind
Frenzy
Bash
Spear Mastery (auto-reroll) -> Bash (auto-reroll) -> Mace Mastery (locked)
Grim Ward

@Vang - can I still use any equipment rerolls? I don't have anything saved up that I particularly care about, but if I find something cool in Hell it'd be cool to try to reroll something to use it. I rerolled weapon, but I think that leaves one armor slot right?

Reactions: Pb_pal
Here @Dazliare

1-Warcries, 2 Masteries, 3 Skills
(skill trees in Arreat Summit order)
3/1 Bash
1/10 Battle Command
3/6 Leap Attack
2/2 Axe Mastery (should reroll I think since you haven't access to Axes?) -> 1/2 Find Potion

Small update on Odin:
Gambled a few Spetums once clvl was high enough, and nailed one with a damage/attack prefix, and a mana leech suffix. Quite nice, as now I can Bash full time! Other than that, the Tower was a bit trying, stair traps on 3 levels, twice with Cold Enchanted archers, and Fanatic goatmen on the bottom floor. The archers were tough, my defense is negligible, but I made it through. Found a plain Jewel of Freedom in the Pit, very nice, looking at the elite weapon bases. Once at the Monastery, I rushed for the waypoint and called it quits.

Odin, level 18 Bashy-guy, Outer Cloister/Barracks next...

@Vang - can I still use any equipment rerolls? I don't have anything saved up that I particularly care about, but if I find something cool in Hell it'd be cool to try to reroll something to use it. I rerolled weapon, but I think that leaves one armor slot right?

Negative, has to be rerolled at beginning of character.

Sad indeed, but I must admit, I'm glad it happened here, and not in Hell because of the skills I rolled for you. lol

Condolences!

What? 1297 damage in one hit? 😲 Sad to hear that, @Dazliare!

Makes me want to hide behind my merc with all my Ability Scroll Sept characters even more (currently NM Act I/II)...

Do you want to give it another try? *wrings hands and smiles devilishly*

Odin is currently level 22, having just cleared the Sewers, the Rocky Waste and the tomb. The sewers kicked my butt. Every pack of normal archers was taxing. No belt made it difficult to pot-spam, and not much luck improving defense much. A 2os Fanged Helm dropped, and I immediately turned it into a 'Nadir' for the Cloak of Shadows. This helped, quite a bit. I tried out a 'Malice' Spetum, but quickly went back to my Deadly/Bat one. Still feeling entirely overwhelmed, I decided to bite the bullet and go for a Defensive merc. He was happy to take the 'Malice' and a double Envy Hard Leather armor. I gambled him a Bone Helm, first one was a crappy rare with 2os, so I stuffed it with some junk and we set off. Things certainly feel much more manageable now!

I've been taking some screenshots, but nothing interesting really so far.

The Banished in the Catacombs before Andy were super sneaky this playthrough. An Extra Fast pack spawned, and they proceeded to fly around the room and open all the doors, luring in neighboring zombies and lightning dogs. Some interesting battles, to say the least! Andy gave it up without any hassle, and effectively dropped gold thanks to item restrictions.

Creeping Feature gave up a Snakecord, which just got vendor'd. The sparkly chest in the Stony Tomb dropped 2 Hsaru's Belts. I know I need a belt, just hurry up and drop a Plated one!!! One more level, and I should be able to start finding them in the gambling screen. Also, doing this without GoMule is a challenge in of itself!

I'm noticing the block rate for mobs with shields is INCREDIBLE. Maybe just the nature of poking things with a long stick? I've counted 9 successive blocks on a mob that died with 1 successful hit.

Odin, level 22, who just met Ahsab-the-walking-buff, Dry Hills (and the cube!) up next...

Reactions: Pb_pal and Babyhell
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High