Botting disscussion.

sighoth

Banned
Jul 26, 2010
Botting disscussion.

Ok, Before people read the title and start flaming, I dont bot. i repeat I DONT BOT. With that said im looking for peoples opinions on it, Before earlier today i thought it was stupid, If you bot how can you enjoy the game? Ect ect. Anyways i was over a friends, me and him started about 3 weeks back, and he told me hes been botting for about 3-4 days, I was interested to see how it all worked so he fired it up and showed me where it goes and how well it does, I was amazed, it plays the game better than me in someways, he told me if his pala gets to low on health it will just leave the game and stuff like that. I also noticed his level, 93, he was 87 before he started botting and in like 3-4 days has gone up to this with no effort!

That would seem a good enuff idea to start botting, but then he showed me his loot logs, this was the moment i actually considerd is it worth starting botting. today hes found ohm/vex/ist/umx2 a RBF 5/5 fire WT 50's chance 40's and alot of keys, Lets say about 10 ists in value. While he was sleeping. Doing absoltly nothing.

ive found 1 high rune, Zod, in the whole 3 weeks of playing, He showed me his mules where ists were like elds, they were all over the place, He showed me his smite gear hes building up, he has a last wish/exile/fort ect ect and litreally a week ago i had to get his pala a shako cus he couldnt afford one!

My final question is, Why arnt we all doing this? i cannot see a down side anymore, the only downside i can see is the getting banned, But thinkin on it look how many baal bots and other mf bots there are, surely bans are rare if any atall.

For now im not going to bot, I still think its not the same as finding somthing ureself and knowin u worked hard for it. But after today i really dont see the downside, Id like other peoples opinions on this please.

Re: Botting disscussion.

Simple for me, botting is cheating, just the same way that using a "god mode" cheat in another game is, the same thing is true here.
Completing a game using god mode holds no attraction to me, i'd rather struggle and play it the way it was meant to be played, then if/when i achieved something it would enjoy the moment more and the same goes for D2.

Sure you friend has 1987346128736213 Ists, but then what can he do with them, ateotd D2 is a very shallow PvM game, so that leaves PvP and "collecting" or playing for the fun of the mf drops, or trying new builds or whatever your poison is.

For me, your friend is simply going to get bored of D2 quicker than you are, whilst your still playing, trading and working up to getting the next upgrade for one of your chars, he has 1982376192873213 Ists to do what he wished with.

TLDR:
downside: botted wealth holds no sense of "achievement" for me. I have been playing D2 on and off since 03, and sooner or later i get too rich and the fun wears off as i can buy pretty much what i like. For me the fun is GETTING to that point, not BEING at that point.

Your mate may be rich but I bet he is utterly crap at the game.

What's the point of botting if you are barely playing the game and when you do you are more than likely terrible at it?

I was going to reply, but I might aswell copy Shanks' post :grin: There's no yeah! feeling once you gather the runes to roll a CtA, infinity etc. And true the game gets boring once you have all those high end runewords, I'm already beyond that point yet I still play :D

Why take the time to bot and mule items and all that work when you can just buy all the items you want cheap from any of the spammer-stores? You spend good $ on the game so why not buy yourself a good character?

(yes - this IS sarcasm) ;)

Yeah it all basically comes down to "ok...so now what?"

Its like if you were playing Super Mario Bros and there was a tube you could take right at the very beginning that would teleport you behind Bowser at the last stage, you could just grab the Princess and win the game instantly. Sure its easy, but then whats the point? You've just skipped the entire game.

Alternatively, its like if you were playing Starcraft II and you had a script that would win the entire single player campaign for you. You turn it on, go to sleep, and when you wake up the game is won! But, again, whats the point? You've just spent $50 on a game that your never actually played :)

The point of D2 is gear collecting...thats most of the endgame content! Why would you just bot through all of the content of a game instead of playing? Its not like there's any point to a video game other than to enjoy the content.

The downside is this: your botting friend will get bored in a couple weeks at most and then stop playing D2 altogether.

Let's turn this around a bit; we agree that "finding it yourself" is preferable to botting, but how were we supposed to find it ourselves? Endless repetition and grinding, something a bot is much more suited to. So we have to think, in D3, how do we discourage grinding? What incentives do we need to get people to play in all sorts of different ways? Random quests and rewards from PvP are two obvious ways, but what else could they do?

well, i agree with all the points made here, alltho there is still somthing bugging me, i agree finding good stuff feels great but how often does it happen? I mean would you prefer finding 1 high rune a month compared to 3-4 a week? Maybe its becuase im not uber rich im saying this but the game could be alot easier/funner with some kick *** runewords knocking about...

I was going to avoid posting here, but ...

It doesn't really matter what the botting does to the botter himself, that's not really the point. What does matter is how it affects other players around you.

Botting:
causes unnecessary server strain
an unfair advantage in pvp
an unfair advantage in competitive pvm (ladder)
effects the trading market

If everyone was running bots then surely the servers would be far more laggy, thus offer a rather bad experience for any human being still playing on them. Blizzard is offering their bnet services for free in the intent to serve their humans fans, not a bunch of scripts.

Bnet is in my view a place where everyone is supposed to have somewhat equal conditions while playing, competing and otherwise interacting. Botting means that you've got both an item and a leveling advantage compared to the players who actually follow the TOU.
You're supposed to earn your rewards yourself, not send your "robot" to work and take all the money he earns. Your coworkers will not look favorably upon you when you take over that ill deserved boss position, not after the fact that it is the "robot" who has done the work needed for the promotion. It is especially true in a company which has a clear policy against using such "robotic stand-ins".

The effects on trading is a lesser concern for me as I today trade very little. But I'm sure that bob who just found his first griffons would be slightly more happy about it if not all of his friends already had three of them ... each.

My question here is, who wants to bot a 10-year old game?

I'm believe those bots who keep joining games advertising websites that sell d2 items for cash get their stock from botting.

So i guess the incentive for them is to make money.

My question here is, who wants to bot a 10-year old game?

a lot of people actually

as long as there are real money involved bots will prosper. some people are doing this for a leaving (and i mean in real life).

you'll be amazed to know how much money are in this market ...

a lot of people actually

as long as there are real money involved bots will prosper. some people are doing this for a leaving (and i mean in real life).

you'll be amazed to know how much money are in this market ...
pls some real numbers ;)

Let's turn this around a bit; we agree that "finding it yourself" is preferable to botting, but how were we supposed to find it ourselves? Endless repetition and grinding, something a bot is much more suited to.

D3 discussions are best left to the D3 boards...but as for your first point, grinding wouldnt be so endless and repetitive if there were no bots. Bots flood the market with items, depressing the price. Without them, you'd get much better returns on the time you spent actively MFing. A lot of the stuff you find now that you leave on the ground would fetch a high price without any botted items on the market.

The problem isnt that MF is a grind, the problem is the disparity between human players and automated grinding machines.

Thats all kids are good for. Buys a hammerdin setup on ebay and bots with it. After that, he/she buids tons of builds that are pretty much garbage.

use of a bot involves using a hack.

using a hack is breaching the B.Net ToU and D2 EULA.

breaching the ToU and EULA is begging to have your account deleted and cd-keys disabled.

you're also putting code that's been written by nefarious people onto your machine. how can you be certain that you're not totally compromising your PC and joining a botnet ot handing over credit card details and suchlike.

Hax? just say PHAIL!

breaching the ToU and EULA is begging to have your account deleted and cd-keys disabled.
I really wish blizzard would get there heads from there collective ***es and actually ban bots out of the game.

I mean how hard can it by to ban the obvious ones? If a gm would create a game and sit in it for say 15-30 minutes he could disable i recon 5 cd-keys in that time, if they did that only 10 times during a day that would by 50 cd-keys. so i recon that in a weeks time most off the advertising bots would by gone. To ban the same amount off bot accounts that farm items they would just need to join nm or hell games labeled Dia-run xxxx.

I mean how hard can it by to do that?

I really wish blizzard would get there heads from there collective ***es and actually ban bots out of the game.

I mean how hard can it by to ban the obvious ones? If a gm would create a game and sit in it for say 15-30 minutes he could disable i recon 5 cd-keys in that time, if they did that only 10 times during a day that would by 50 cd-keys. so i recon that in a weeks time most off the advertising bots would by gone. To ban the same amount off bot accounts that farm items they would just need to join nm or hell games labeled Dia-run xxxx.

I mean how hard can it by to do that?

Apparently... very! haha :crazyeyes:

letting a script play the game for you is in my eyes exactly the same as watching a d2 youtube movie... neither of them are rewarding in any way...

I could tell you where I was when I found every one of my items. They all have stories. Yes, I have "crap" gear and do crap damage, but it's about the adventure undertaken to find those "crap" items. I have been playing since d2 first came out(ask my wife, she could tell you every minute I have been playing....trust me *shudder*) and never botted or cheated. Tempted? Well, I would love to have super-uber gear but that takes the fun out of it.

I played this weekend and spent about 15 mins waiting for a game that wasn't run by a bot Sunday morning. And it is very hard to find a game in acts 1-3 to 4ish in hell because of so many bot games.

Keep your bots and OMFGL33TBBQLOLROTFLMAO gear scripts. Just stay away from me.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High