~Findable~ magic orbs instead of Eschuta's for light sorcs <

scwizard

Jul 13, 2010
~Findable~ magic orbs instead of Eschuta's for light sorcs

The equipment assumption here is:
Spirit
CoH
15LSD Griff's (changing the number won't change the results, but 15 is the number I use)
Mesh
Powered Amulet
BK * 2
Torch and Anhi
4 skillers

Lightning skill bonus without weapon: 2 [Shield] + 2 [Armor] + 1 [Helm] + 1 [Belt] + 3 [Amulet] + 2 [Rings] + 4 [Unique Charms] + 4 [Skillers] = 19

Base lightning damage:
40: 912
41: 948
42: 984
43: 1020
44: 1056
45: 1092

Lightning Mastery: 38 + Level*12

Total damage if you wield perfect Eschuta's Temper: (984 * (1 [Base] + 4.8 [Synergies])) * (1 [Base] + 5.42 [Lightning Mastery] + 0.2 [Eschuta's Temper] + 0.05 [Rainbow Facet] + 0.15 [Griffon's Eye]) = 38923

You can exceed that damage by instead wielding:
Any powered orb with 1+ lightning and 1+ socket.
Any charged/arch-angel's orb with 3 Lightning and 1+ socket
Any charged/arch-angel's orb with 2+ Lightning, 1+ Lightning Mastery and 1+ socket
Any charged/arch-angel's orb with 1+ Lightning, 3+ Lightning Mastery and 1+ socket
Any sparking/angel's orb with 3+ lightning, 2+ Lightning Mastery and 1+ socket

Here's an example: (1020 * (1 + 4.8)) * (1 + 5.42 + 0.05 + 0.15) = 39163

Chance of rerolling any powered orb with 1+ lightning:
Prefix chance: 1/2
Powered orb chance: 60/2923
Staffmod chance: 4/500 [Chance of Lightning and no other skills] + 6/500 [Chance of Lightning and one other skill] + 3/500 [Chance of Lightning and two other skills] = 13/500
Total chance: 13/500 * 60/2923 * 1/2 = approx 1/3747 chance of getting an orb like this if you're rerolling ilvl 59 Heavenly Stones
That is findable!

However you have to hit the FCR breakpoint:
35 [Shield] + 25 [Helm] + 20 [Belt] = 80
That's 40 short, the 40 that was provided by Temper. You can use magefists to make that 20 short. You can use a powered amulet of the apprentice to make that 10 short. For the final 10 you have three options:
Option one: Hope the suffix on your orb is "of the apprentice" or "of the magus." This increases the chance from around 1/3747 to around 1/216580, making it substantially less findable.
Option two: Hope that your powered orb gives 3 lightning. This increaes the chance to around 1/37470, and allows you to use a caster amulet instead of a powered amulet, or a FCR ring instead of a BK ring and still maintain higher damage than the temper setup.
Option three: Use Lightning Ormus' Robes instead of CoH. This isn't so bad because Ormus' Robes lead to higher damage than CoH. To demonstrate this, here is Robes and Temper, compare with the previously calculated CoH and Temper.
Robes and Temper total damage: (1020 * (1 + 4.8)) * (1 + 5.30 + 0.2 + 0.15 + 0.05) = 39814
The only problem with this options is defense. With godly unique and small charms it is possible to max resists, but you set yourself up for an uphill battle.

Further research: If minus to enemy Lres is factored in, then it may be true that 1BK ring + magic orb > 2BK ring + temper, assuming that you get two socekts for two facets on the magic orb.

Re: ~Findable~ magic orbs instead of Eschuta's for light sorcs

I've got a magic orb with
+3 lightnuing skills
+3 chain lightning
9 energy
34 mana
+1 enchant

How does that fit in your calculations, aka, is it worth keeping around?

As I mention here, its damage would be higher than temper if it even had just +1 to lightning. Yours has +3 which is really powerful.

What I would do is keep it in your stash until you can find a chain lightning ormus, then get used to using chain lightning as your primary skill instead of lightning. You'll deal some sick damage.

Assuming you don't have infinity and you don't need fcr on the weapon, wouldn't Crescent Moon (in a crystal sword) be far superior?

I don't see the point as the damage improvement doesn't justify the losses from gear swapping, whether it be plus skills to other skills (like BO) or resists etc.

You carry your crescent moon and CTA on the same weap switch?

If you're poor or just starting up and can't get facets or any other form of -res, then crescent moon would give you anywhere between a 30% (anything with 0 res) and 120% (baal, venom lord family) boost to damage. I'd say that justifies using it above spirit/occy

This will be very hard to get but you can try to find it:
rare quality orb-
2 sorc, 3 light, 3 cl, 3 lm, 20% fcr, 2os, socketed with x2 5/5 light facets

Very hard to get but gl finding one.

I don't see the point as the damage improvement doesn't justify the losses from gear swapping, whether it be plus skills to other skills (like BO) or resists etc.
More damage will help you run chaos faster.

Will less hit points (due to less BO) and less resists cause you to run it slower?

The answer is maybe.

Also max resists are theoretically possible with ormus' and the magic orb I mentioned.

When I think more damage, I look for a significant difference. -Elr generally has the most significant effect on killing speed as it should only be recently broken immunes that should need several hits.

The 15% on ormus is minor versus the utility of +2 all skills on coh or enigma as those apply to other skills outside of the lite tree, namely bo - engima provides a huge str bonus with solid mf, where coh really helps with res.

Unlike something like magic claws, where the staff mods can really make a difference (namely clawblock with +skills and staffmods), magic orbs aren't going to net you something really amazing when compared to whats already commonly used, infinity voulge, eschuta's, occys, hotos. A big factor to consider is that the best fcr you'll get off an orb is 20 fcr - fcr is very important for damage on a lite sorc and your weapon is one of your big sources. Sure, you can still manage to hit certain breakpoints even with that only at 20 fcr, but again, you make sacrifices that hurt a lot more than help.

If you were to find a decent orb while leveling, sure it can be worth using - but actively pursuing one makes no sense to me as that time and effort could be better utilized elsewhere.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High