The Don S. Davis memorial Stargate mafia game.

Re: The Don S. Davis memorial Stargate mafia game.

we could make limited role claims from the start: only our names, and nothing about our powers, if we have any.

This would not only rob the mafia of night kill roles they could claim, but it would give us some clues who we can trust. If someone claimed O'Neill and no one challenged the claim, that would most likely be a pro-town player. Not necessarily a power role though. This would also allow cops to focus their investigations on the obscure roles and the people who refused to claim, since the mafia will most likely be among them.

There are of course risks involved. If for example the hypothetical cult was only able to recruit humans, limited role claims would be handing the cult risk-free recruit targets. Also, some roles would be too obviously power roles, like Jackson being the doctor. Anyway, it is something we could try. Thoughts?

One potential issue: Most of the N/A enemy episodes I referred to earlier have a plot line like: SG-1 return home from a routine mission to (insert name of planet) when (insert name of important character) falls prey to (insert name of malady) and it's up to the rest of the SG-1 team to save (important character) before they (choose one: spread the contagion to the rest of the universe, destroy StarGate Command, become possessed by the System Lords/Wraith/Ori/Replicators/Asurans, switch personalities with other_major_character, etc.).

In other words, there could be good and evil versions of each major character. There is a reason TC and Gorny wanted at least 20 players and until I figure out why, I'm going to assume something complicated and nefarious. Good and evil versions of the same character is one such complicated and nefarious twist.

I've noticed in the story the line where it says that Zarniwoop was killed "after the fact." What does it mean to be killed after the fact? Was he killed after the "battle," so he was killed within the headquarters facility or something? Does that have any meaning at all?

Feysal, you're mentioning a lot of groups for someone who doesn't know Stargate (post 24). :D I don't agree that claiming wouldn't be done by the bad guys. And Jackson isn't a medical doctor; that was Frasier. Plus the SGC have allies that may play the doctor role; doesn't have to be a member of the SGC.

Throughout the Stargate franchise, each main character has provided a "doc save" at some point in time. It doesn't have to be from medical knowledge. It may be Daniel Jackson deciphering some Ancient text telling of the cure. It may be knowledge of the Ancients trapped in O'Neil's noggin. It may be Carter building some techno thingy which saves the day. I don't specifically remember a time when Teal'c provided a Doc save, but I'm fairly sure he does at some point. So it's possible for someone within SGC to provide a doc save even if they aren't the medical doctor.

Not a specific reply to Thyiad, but to anyone in general:
Think back to the mafia game that had the Mexican drug lords and the New York Night Club owners (I think that is what they were, they got eliminated rather early though). That game had a two cops, one specific to each faction. The DEA agent couldn't detect the New York Night Club Owners for instance.

Given the wide variety and style of possible mafia factions, there could be a variety of docs to provide saves. There could also be different cops, tombstones, etc.

To All:
In some previous posts, I have used the term treestump. Upon looking at the definition on Mafiascum.net, I now realize I have been using that term incorrectly.

When I mentioned treestump, I meant to convey the idea of some type of inanimate object or non-higher life form that presents a threat to the town. Example: O'Neil touches a mysterious crystal and becomes paralyzed. He must be saved or he dies. In these types of Stargate episodes, it is normally a major character that interacts with some object which triggers the bad event which must be overcome. It is possible that FalconGK's headache is caused because he interacted with one of these "bad things."

Conversely, in some episodes, the major character must interact with some object to defeat the mafia of that episode or movie.

What do you mean a wraith in falcons head? Last time I checked, the wraith can't infect people with their genes. The wraith may have killed Zarniwoop, but if that was the case, then Falcon has been hit by something else, and replicators are a very possible candidate.

And actually, I believe they were. The good wraith that I've mentioned already had some problems and "disagreements" with what the mainstream wraith were doing so he took some buddies and paired up with the Atlantis expedition. While this DID happen, I can't remember the details; it's been a real long while since I've watched Stargate.

There are many references to Human-Wraith Hybrids in the Atlantis episode synopses. Quoting from: Michael Kenmore
Code:
"Michael Kenmore, often known simply as Michael, was a Human-Wraith Hybrid who was transformed from a Wraith  into a Human  by the crew of the Atlantis expedition using the Iratus bug retrovirus."

Code:
Later, he began setting up labs on four planets and experimenting with the Iratus bug. His first experiment was a failure, resulting in ravenous, blind mutants that even he could not control. Because the mutants could not see, they relied on sound and sonar to move around and emitted a kind of fog from gills on their necks as a defense mechanism to hide them from view. He abandoned the project and it was later discovered by the Atlantis Expedition. [B]Later, he more successfully created a genetically engineered species to take over the galaxy[/B].

bold emphasis added by me

For what it's worth, Michael Kenmore appears as an enemy in 9 of the 37 episodes where the Wraith are listed as enemy of the episode.

I find it interesting that Michael Kenmore was opposed to the Wraith and humans. His goal was to deny the wraiths their food source by turning all humans into human-wraith hybrids. This is also bad for humans, for obvious reasons. The description of Michael Kenmore seems part SK, part cult, and part not-pro-town Mason (is there such a thing?). By not-pro-town Mason, I mean to say that Michael Kenmore could have a win condition that isn't to kill off all mafia and isn't to kill off all townies. Rather, a Michael Kenmore character/faction could have a win condition of killing off just the wraiths and/or Atlantis townies.

The fluff is all well and good, but can we actually hunt scum? Ask questions? Do the things players of mafia usually do when they are trying to find the bad guys, instead of sitting around pontificating on what may or may not be in the setup.

If Feysal's idea about name claiming is bad because the source material is so large, then surely sitting around dreaming up the possibilities we face is just as pointless. Clearly we're dealing with some sort of headache thing that could affect people, and it looks like we have wraiths in the game. Great, now, can we please hunt scum?

IIOA = Information Instead Of Analysis. A term used when players make large posts that do nothing but throw information out, with no scum hunting or analysis of what the information means. There is a lot of this going on in the thread.

Can people please comment about the scumminess we've observed in the thread?

Also, I'm still waiting for answers to my 6 questions I asked earlier.

I will be taking the wifey into NYC tomorrow for a show and dinner. We won't be here for deadline. I still like my vote, although depending on the answers to my questions, I might have wanted a different vote.

See you guys D2, assuming the headache doesn't kill me.

I agree with Falcon but differ when it comes down to who we might be up against.

All we got to go on here is the death of Zarni and I'm still stuck on the way he was killed. A Wraith doesn't normaly use a killing weapon. Was Falcon possibly under control of the mafia; hence his headache?

I doubt his affliction would be a recruitment - unless this is the only time we get a pre-warning. Heavily doubt that.

Flip, Falcon didn't necessarily have to be under the affliction of mafia. We can be dealing with multiple anti-town groups so he could be mafia himself, which just happened to be unluckily targeted by the mentioned cult. I can't say he is, but the fact of the matter is that he very well can be.

To be frank, now that I think about it, the initial idea of people confessing roles does seem strange in and of itself. I believe it was Feysal that suggested it. My theories include the one where Feysal really was trying to help the town by having everyone get a feel as for who might be who, or the other one where Feysal is part of the scum and feeds the idea carefully in hopes that it catches on. Falcon does suggest that it's a good idea but immediately after he says it has flaws (of course when I said we shouldn't do it, it was a reason for him to cast a vote at me but w/e) so he's off the leash. Nothing can be proven, nothing is certain. I wish I could ask "Feysal are you scum?" and get a truthful answer >.> but since I can't, I'll try to come up with a question later. It's only 3:35AM over here after all.

Come to think of it, referring back to Noodle's post, we really are hard pressed for power roles this game if we're dealing with 3 scum groups. I'm going to assume his theory and consider the possibility that there are roles that leak with abilities (another way of saying that they are very powerful).

"You cannot tell the depth of the river, until you see the bottom"

11.5 hours left of this day people.

Marahumm - I'm grouping you because you are both making the same mistake of assuming anyone who isn't posting in this thread three times an hour is mafia.

As Mara already pointed out, at least I wasn't assuming that. It was merely a note on your "Hi, I'm here." post. Laarz and Uraj have done exactly the same type of posts, but with a difference: Theirs repeated "information" that had already been brought out multiple times, and the message itself included nothing new or any real personal points of view. Uraj played a very similar game last time and was part of the mafia.

And I don't really know how the roles are powered in this game, but if they are distributed similarly to previous games, lynching me is a very bad idea.

I'm sorry but I don't get this. Is it a veiled threat? :/

I will be the first to role claim:
I am the "Full of BS Sleepless Shopkeep." :sleep2:
Oh wait, no that's "Shopkeeper."

:alright:

Come to think of it, referring back to Noodle's post, we really are hard pressed for power roles this game if we're dealing with 3 scum groups. I'm going to assume his theory and consider the possibility that there are roles that leak with abilities (another way of saying that they are very powerful).

In combination with your above post I quoted, this doesnt' sit right with me.

Vote: Uraj

I'll be happy to switch to boogy or whoever to ensure a lynch, but Uraj and Laarz both reak mafia more than boogy does. Only slightly though. But at least he's contributing.

I've noticed in the story the line where it says that Zarniwoop was killed "after the fact." What does it mean to be killed after the fact? Was he killed after the "battle," so he was killed within the headquarters facility or something? Does that have any meaning at all?

In the wiki I found the Battle of Icarus Base, the premise from which the SGU series starts. Most of the details in the story post match with that battle: the involvement of the Lucian Alliance, the George Hammond being at the battle, the ninth Chevron research at the base. I think the story means that Zarniwoop was killed after the battle, apparently during the trip back to Earth, meaning he was not killed by the Alliance.

I don't buy this theory of FalconGK being mind controlled to kill Zarniwoop. If it was true, why would he have used a Wraith weapon to do it? If the Wraith wanted Zarniwoop dead, they might as well do it themselves, if the choice of weapon was going to give them away anyway.

I wish I could ask "Feysal are you scum?" and get a truthful answer >.> but since I can't, I'll try to come up with a question later. It's only 3:35AM over here after all.

Well, you can, and you would get a truthful answer. Trouble is, how would I be able to convince you of the answer being truthful? If you can think of some question, I'll gladly answer. For now... FalconGK has the right idea, we should be scum hunting. All the talk is good, since it gives us the chance to read each other, but we should be settling on someone to lynch, and soon. I'll re-read some posts, and see if I can come up with something, or someone.

I doubt all this theorycrafting about stargate will help us in the long run. Simplest answer is, FalconGK will probably die this night from his 'headache'. In a game with 19 people there's not gonna be one night kill. He's a delayed night kill sort to speak. And I'm not buying a doc save. I'm never a fan of first days and now that we've got 18 people alive it's even worse. I'll try to do my bit nonetheless.

I'd like to ask Ankeli how he thinks Laarz and Uraj reak of mafia with one and two posts respectivly? Boogey has been getting more attention for the wrong reasons and I'm happy to lynch him.

Vote: boogyman19946

I'd like to ask Ankeli how he thinks Laarz and Uraj reak of mafia with one and two posts respectivly?

They both are posting in the same manner as they did in the last round when they were mafia with me and Noodle. Laarz at least isn't usually that a) quiet or b) undecisive on his own.

I'd like to hear some new thoughts from both of them. Something that hasn't been said.

1. korialstraz
Missing in action. No posts, and no read.
2. Ankeli
He has named his suspects and used his vote, which certainly looks like pro-town scum hunting, but you can never be sure.
3. FalconGK
Our most enthusiastic scum hunter, for now at least. Pro-town read.
4. Bad Ash
Theory contributions, no active scum hunting. No read either way.
5. ultimabeam
Only one post so far, but it was to the point. Weak read, but I'm inclined toward pro-town.
6. Leopold Stotch
Some theorizing, and the usual off-topic. Some support for boogyman. Nothing conclusive.
7. Feysal
That's me, you can form your own opinions. Moving on...
8. Flip10thMtn
Last game I had a pro-town feel from him, this time I don't. In other words, I've got nothing conclusive.
9. PurpleGirl
Some research on headaches, then off-topic. No different from last game really, when she was pro-town.
10. Goryani
Looks like some major effort spent in researching the theme, and appears pro-town for now.
11. Sathoris
Confused me and FalconGK once (how many times have Flip, Falcon and me been confused now? And all our names have in common is that they start with an F). No read yet.
12. Marahumm
Some pressure on getting Thyiad to post more, yet I've seen little actual content from him either. Could be he's just busy, like he said. No read yet.
13. Uraj
Only two posts, and little substance in either of them. It does look like last game, Ankeli is right about that at least.
14. Thyiad
New to many of us, but her analysis certainly looked thought out and sincere. I'm inclined toward pro-town.
15. Noodle
Somehow I get a better feel from him than the last two games. I'll bet he'd welcome not being mafia for a change.
16. Laarz
Only one post, with little content. I remember other posters commenting he is usually more active as pro-town, not only Ankeli.
17. Orphan
Only one post, but it has content. Still, not enough to base a good read on.
18. boogyman19946
Votes have piled on him, apparently because we're scrambling to get a lynch in time and he has the largest number of votes. I'm not sure I agree on the reason he was voted in the first place, and he's had some cautious support. He is also active, and we need active players.

At this point, if I had to choose one player who looks most suspicious, I'd go with Laarz. I have to agree with Ankeli about him and Uraj, and I remember other players commenting on him being more active as pro-town, when he was caught in the Futurama game. It is far from certain, but the closest I have to an anti-town read so far.

All we got to go on here is the death of Zarni and I'm still stuck on the way he was killed. A Wraith doesn't normaly use a killing weapon. Was Falcon possibly under control of the mafia; hence his headache?

Wraiths can't feed on just anyone. If a wraith targeted Zarni but Zarni couldn't be fed on, he gets killed instead. The method of death gives insights as to the nature of the killed. In Stargate Lore, Wraith can hibernate between feedings. This may imply the killing ability may not be possible every night.

Wraiths can't feed on just anyone. If a wraith targeted Zarni but Zarni couldn't be fed on, he gets killed instead. The method of death gives insights as to the nature of the killed.

Now this is interesting. As far as I know, Wraiths can only feed on humans and similar races, Jaffa probably. If your theory is true, then Zarniwoop was neither human or Jaffa, and since most pro-town roles are probably humans, Zarniwoop could have been an anti-town alien. We still don't know though, since there are friendly aliens in Stargate, as others have said.

Also, this brings us no closer to the question of who did it. We'll have plenty of time to theorize later, now we should be focusing on who to lynch. Who among us is the most likely killer? We have little information to guide us, and we may be wrong, but that is how the game is.

I think the Ori pretty much stand out as a potential cult, what with being religious frauds and all.

Can you shed some more light on this religious stuff? I've read the wiki but want to make sure I catch everything.

Wraiths can't feed on just anyone. If a wraith targeted Zarni but Zarni couldn't be fed on, he gets killed instead.

Is that lore related? If the wraith targets someone who wouldn't normally be "fed on" that wraith will die or will nothing happen?

Could the replicators be responsible for Falcons headache in anyway? Do we think the night actions were two seperate groups or 1? From the story i'd say it sounds like 1 unless there are 2 wraith groups? Were the Wraiths ever split into diff. factions in stargate?

I
Was Falcon possibly under control of the mafia; hence his headache?

I'm having trouble getting past the similarities between the Goa'uld story about headaches, and the story we were given last night. Also remember that the first story that introduced the night phase mentioned that the Gua'uld's were coming (is that a separate entity to Goa'uld, or just a simple typo?), which seems co-incidental too. Perhaps the Goa'uld's cannot kill the same night, but rather target someone with a delay'd death the next night or something.

just a clarification to Orphan, I dont believe Zarniwoop was a doc who sacrificed himself because I have no way of knowing that at all. It was just one end of the spectrum of mass role claiming.

I probably should have worded it better I guess, but yea the thought was just something that came to my mind after reading your post about Zarniwoop potentially being a doctor or something.

I think boogy is the front-runner for best lynch target. He's jumpy, is making mistakes with names

Mara tried that last game and it didn't fly and it's even more flawed now. Just don't. It's not worth pursuing you for this as I doubt you'll start the next day unscathed, with your headache and all.

This was when Sathoris quoted Feysal, and mistook him for Falcon. Does this give you pause ultimatebeam?

All we got to go on here is the death of Zarni and I'm still stuck on the way he was killed. A Wraith doesn't normaly use a killing weapon.

The story seemed to indicate that it was a Wraith Weapon:

Among the casualties were Zarniwoop, he had been killed after the fact. The wound in his chest was very much like a Wraith plasma weapon.

Is there such a thing as a wraith weapon in SG? A quick search in the wiki didn't yield much information unfortunately. Given that the hosts seem to be indicating that a wraith weapon was indeed used, and if you suspect that wraiths don't use such weapons, what other conclusions do you draw from this Flip?

Is that lore related? If the wraith targets someone who wouldn't normally be "fed on" that wraith will die or will nothing happen?

Code:
The Wraith are a vampiric hive-based species that harvest the 'life-
force' of other humanoid beings for nourishment through suckers on their palms. 
Countless worlds in the Pegasus  galaxy  live in constant fear of the Wraith, 
who return periodically to cull their human herds. [B]After taking their fill, the 
Wraith hibernate for centuries, watched over by Keepers, before they wake and 
feed again. [/B]

Code:
"Steve" was the name Major John Sheppard gave to a Wraith 
captured by AR-1 for interrogation purposes. However, the Atlantis 
expedition had nothing to offer Steve in return for his information. After 
meeting the Hoffans, who were developing a Wraith immunity drug to prevent 
being fed off by the Wraith, Sheppard convinced Doctor Weir to use Steve in 
the experiment. [B]Steve attempted to feed off a terminally ill Hoffan, but 
the immunity prevented him feeding properly.[/B] The drug entered Steve's 
bloodstream and caused his major organs to shut down, killing him. 
(ATL: "Suspicion", "Poisoning the Well")

That was the 1min search.

As has been previously mentioned, there are replicators in Stargate lore. Replicators and their variations, human form replicators and the replicators in Stargate: Atlantis are not biologic. I don't know of any lore dealing with encounters between a wraith feeding on a replicator, but I don't think a successful feeding would occur.

Ankeli most of your posts has been either filler or the same reply to topics that have already been covered that you criticize others for. I don't think you're being genuine with your claims of(you're acting like last game and that game you were mafia.) Noodle has post more often and more constructively this game. And I doubt you'd find my last game much different from the first two where I was Town. You also seem to be playing more cautiously this game which by your own logic would make you mafia like last game. The only bit of new info from you has been that Bad Ash and Noodle haven't interacted much with each other yet.

Vote: Ankeli

People who are iffy to me.

PurpleGirl -- Really has only posted that one wiki link that related to Goa'uld Symbiote.

Orphan -- Brought up an incorrect idea that Boogy had said others were famaliar SG when he said the opposite. This was brought up after Falcon had thought of Boogy as scum for suggesting lynching lurker a little too early in the game. Seems to me he might have been trying to add false evidence to get a Boogy lynch train started.

boogyman19946 -- Really only for that early comment on lurker lynching

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High