Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Why, pray tell, is the bar on page 3? Why?

So it's been a quick work week thusfar. And, seriously, I need to find an inexpensive (or free) hobby that will hold my interest. Come 2:30 at work, and I'm ready to get out of there, but when I arrive home at 3:30 I realize that I've got pretty much nothing to do, so I sit around, stare at the hulu (or something similar) and wonder 'is this all there is?' Jeez. But it's pretty much too hot to ride the bicycle; D2 is kind of boring me lately; I've lost interest (for the most part) in studying or making art, playing guitar, working on my website, finishing up the novel editing, and playing with ubuntu and other flavors of linux. I'm bored, fairly lonely, and beginning to imagine that this is pretty much all life has to offer me (or, rather, all I have to offer life), though I sincerely hope there's more to it than this, cause if this is all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing, I guess. Jeez. Snap out of it, Jimmy!

So, dinner time here, tacos on the way, how about a tea? Yum.

Tea for Jay-G.

I'm probably an anomaly, but I actually don't mind never having anything to do. Boredom doesn't grip me so long as I have a computer or cable TV nearby. It's a rare thing when I grow tired of sitting in the butt groove on my loveseat. ...I don't think I'll ever find another GF that would understand me... :rolleyes:

I made a semi-realization the other day that I'm pretty happy with life itself. Although I fill my time with meaningless tasks, I'm certain I don't need to seek out tasks that supposedly bring meaning and structure to others' lives. Nature? Religion? Working out just to look better? I'd rather be doing things that I find enjoyable rather than stuffing (IMHO) pointless activities into my schedule. If TV and video games make me happy and hiking in 100 degree weather does not, guess which one I'll choose to do this weekend? And who says my life has to have some grand ultimate purpose? It's MY life, and I'll make as much of it or squander it as I see fit, thank you very much!!

I do wish I had a couple close friends, though. Someone with whom I can relate, that likes vegging in front of a TV, playing games, and sharing electronic music. Is it really that hard to find lazy, technology-loving fools like myself?? ...I suppose so when you don't ever leave your apartment... :whistling:

I dig where you're coming from, TRM. And I too am fairly happy just sitting in front of the tele, or playing the odd video game when the mood strikes. But I spend the bulk of that sitting time wondering if I'm wasting what (relatively) little time I have on two-dimensional representations of the lives of other (usually fictional) people. It seems like a waste to me.

And I'm happy with the way I look: I'm effing pretty, thank you very much.

And it is also the "stuffing (IMHO) pointless activities into my schedule." It's the pointless here that gets me.

I wonder if there are any activities that are not pointless, and if there are no non-pointless activities, then there is likely not much point to life beyond the biological propagation of the species, and that's not in my (immediate) future. And if there's no point to life, then why bother?

But I'm not going to think that way. Or, rather, I don't want to think that way. Hence, a search for something meaningful, which may or may not, in fact, exist. idk.

I think maybe I'm experiencing an existential crisis of some sort, and I don't like it.

Oh well.

And plus one for wanting a few close friends, despite never leaving the apartment to find any. Meh.

I think the pointless activities are fine, as long as they are a break from the activities that actually mean something in the grand scheme of things.

If you wake up on a saturday and play D2 for 10 hours because you have nothing to do - well I class that as pretty ****in' depressing and I'd be glad I'm not that person.

Then again, that's only my perception of it all. I want to leave this life knowing I made an impact on the world and changed it some shape or form, not that I managed to raid t2 or whatever its called on WoW or managed to achieve a perfect grail on D2.

When I play a game and think 'why am I doing this?' and fail to get an answer I immediately get out of the house and do something. Thankfully, most of the time for me, its 'I'm doing it because if I do another ounce of uni work, I may implode' or 'I fancy shutting my brain off before sleep.'

As for wanting a few close friends - it's an awkward situation come adulthood I've found. Unless you have good contact and are in close range of school/uni friends, it's difficult to make new ones. I know for sure I would not want to befriend my work colleagues outside of work. Not that I don't have respect for them but I know we only 'come together' for work.

Then again, it's also, I think how you present yourself to others and the type of person you are. I don't have many close friends but I have a large range of colleagues in the fields of work I do. I don't talk to them about my personal life but if we were on a work event, we communicate well. A bit like Nurse Jackie from...Nurse Jackie, if you're a fan (my missus is - and she forces me to watch them before bed).

I think the real crunch is: when you ask what is the meaning of life or the meaning of things, you know your in a place you want to get out of. Life is everything you want it to be, cliche as it sounds, and the only reason for not knowing what to make of it, is not knowing where you want to take it.

repeat after me:

The Bar will not slip to page 2

And to elaborate on the above "+1 10chars" This is exactly my problem. I once had an idea of where I wanted to go with this whole 'life' business, but then I realized that the place it would take me would conflict with both my personality and my idealism, and that my personality and idealism made me unsuitable for that particular profession/activity. Since then, I've been adrift, shifting from mind-numbing time-waster to mind-numbing time-waster (or staring blankly at the tele). Where does one find new dreams? How does one develop drive to pursue new-found dreams/desire? How can one be sure that such dreams and desires will be sufficient? These are the questions I'm struggling with at present. Good times.

This marks the first time I've ever read anything about an Xbox that made me want one. (And be sure to watch the video: HAHAHAHAHA!) Jeez.

If you've got an XBox and $10, get on Live and download sos I can live vicariously though you, please.

And slide me an iced tea while you're at it.

This marks the first time I've ever read anything about an Xbox that made me want one. (And be sure to watch the video: HAHAHAHAHA!) Jeez.

If you've got an XBox and $10, get on Live and download sos I can live vicariously though you, please.

And slide me an iced tea while you're at it.

Haha, that actually looks pretty cool :thumbup:

*Slides Tea to Jgun in an iced fashion*

Well, it looks like I'm moving to Tasmania! I spoke with the managers down there, and their initial reaction was, "We want you. Now." Couldn't have gone any better! It's my first time living outta home, so it's gonna be a big change, but I reckon I can tank it. I've already for a friend down there, and I've got another mate coming down with me, so I think the three of us are gonna try and snag a place. Rent is cheap down there, and there are plenty of places available, so that's no problem. The problem is the actual application process itself! It's like being falcon-punched by a Golem made of paperwork! So much documentation, credit checks, rent history, references.... ugh. I hate paperwork!

Still, the prospects are really good down there, and I am looking forward to whats in store for me.

I've already got a cup of tea beside me here, so I'll take a cookie to go with it.

Enjoy your move to Tassie. I assume you are going to Hobart? Out of interest what field do you work in? I have been thinking about a move as well, probably to brisbane as that is where everything is happening (in oil and gas)

Because J6G mentioned that nobody visits the bar anymore, I felt that it was my duty to stop by for a drink and bump this baby from page 2.

how's everyone?
My life is in sort of a standstill, so i'm afraid that there isn't much to tell.

All's well here. Also at a standstill, as usual, and feeling a bit boxed in, bummed, lonely, and rather out-of-hope (but not completely hope-less). But these are feelings that come and go, wax and wane, so they will pass (and return, and pass, and return, until I find some way to banish them for good). [At this point, I wonder if pigs will begin flying later today or wait until tomorrow...] Oh well. No use whining about stuff I can't do anything about.

SO how about a virtual six pack to go with my actual green tea? Yum on both counts.

Things are well for me as well. My mirro-image post count is gone, but I guess it had to happen eventually. Just had huge Porterhouse steaks for supper, dry-aged them for 4 days and grilled them in a very, very unorthodox way. They were so delicious I cried a little.

Um, the dig is progressing well. I don't like the people I'm working with, they either have no sense of humor or never take anything seriously. As a result, I'm highly uncomfortable around most of them, and can't really be myself. It sort of sucks. Only a week and two days to go, though, and two of those days don't count. After that, I'll go see Russian Class Girl and be a very happy Pancake.
I rode the Tuesday ride, which damn near killed me. First I had to get to the shop in time, so I tore myself apart riding there, only to find out I had 20 minutes to spare. Then, I start out a little fast, sit at the front of the group, hurt myself a lot riding the first hill, destroyed my body holding the back wheel of the group on the long straight, set my legs on fire with the second hill, and was just recovering when we hit the monstrously steep one. I headed up it with ease, and actually didn't recover too badly before the next one. That, coupled with my frantic chase of the front group, meant I was the third one back to the shop, but only because I caught a stoplight and could only watch as the first two rode away. Still, I finished with the two fastest guys, so I'm happy with it.

Anyway, so tired, didn't get enough sleep last night, so I am off to bed. Put a Dew in the fridge for me, please.

Just thought I'd ask in here how others would feel about your company taking your fingerprints and using them for things such as signing into shifts?

I just think it seems very over the top and kind of against freedom rights. I signed my contract way before fingerprint technology was ever discussed.

Even the Police are not allowed to take fingerprints unless you are being detained for an offence!

Sounds a little over the top in terms of security. Do they really need to keep people out that badly?

But it wouldn't be a big deal to me, I don't think. I've already had two jobs where my fingerprints were taken for a background check, so I'm pretty much desensitized at this point.

Gotta get ready for work. Later, bar!

I guess it depends on the job, some places definitely handle things that warrant such security. Then again, for McDonalds or something, that's not needed at all.

LIVE BAR, LIVE!

I'm a little depressed, I think. Maybe it's not depression, maybe it's something else, I can't really tell. The last people I went to school with are graduating today. If I had stayed in and been normal, I would be with them. So now I'm sad. I guess that's what you get for wanting more, huh?

Russian Class Girl is home for the weekend, though, so maybe we can hang out tomorrow and I'll cheer up. A Dew would help.

*Dews Pman*

And I hope you've cheered up, P! And I hope you're out having a great time with Russian Class Girl, for sure.

For me, I've been surprisingly content the past few days: Nice. Since I quit drinking, I've had increasing levels of contentment, and my mind-effed days have decreased in number. So... Roxxorz.

But I am a bit bored today. I fooled around with my mix tape some, but sort of lost interest. That's one thing to be said for alcohol: with a six-pack, I could rock out two mixtapes in an evening; without, one mixtape takes me months. Oh well. The benefits of not drinking definitely outweigh the costs, so, again, Roxxorz.

And I'll take an iced tea and a Drumstick (ice cream cone). Maybe the antioxidants and sugar will help me rock out the rest of the mixtape (I only need to find 3-5 more songs, and then order the playlist so the songs flow nice, so maybe I can finish up tonight? Meh).

Roxxorz.

The Bar on page three? Doesn't that normally have boobies?

@Bugzy: Isn't it correct that currently, even if you were falsely detained/let off your prints still stay on record without heavy legal battles to remove them?

@JayGun/TRM: Someone once said that life is what happens while you're waiting for those grand moments that never arrive.

I failed in not drinking. Quite a few stresses at home have taken the shine off the awesomeness, but things may be on the up, and pressure from the girlfriend to do 'proper' preparations for the move seems to be much better than originally thought.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High