Unique Monster drop - Meph Quest etc

denverpoker

Jan 29, 2005
Unique Monster drop - Meph Quest etc

I understand that Meph has the unique bug which makes him drop more if you haven't done quest. Is this still correct?

I'm wondering which other monsters/bosses have this feature enabled.

Andy
Countess
Summoner
Meph
Diablo
Nith
Baal
Shenk
Pindle

I'm really curious.

Re: Unique Monster drop - Meph Quest etc

Ye, it's called a quest drop. I know it applies to the end-of-act bosses but I'm not sure about countess/summoner/shenk/nith. Pindle... I'm guessing not since there's no quest associated with him.

It probably isn't worth bugging those monsters anyway, although it would be interesting if they dropped more items and therefore had a bigger chance of dropping a key.

Andy is bugged since she always gives you a quest drop as long as you go to act 2 after you've killed her the first time, i.e. in the same game. You can them kill her in that difficulty any number of times and you'll get the quest drop.

If you want to always get the quest drop from, let's say, meph:
1. Create a sorc and play up to hell council. Don't kill meph!
2. Host a game with another char that has completed act 3.
3. Join with the sorc loaded up with mf and kill meph. You will get the quest drop but the sorc won't complete the quest since the hoster already has.
4. Step 2 :>

Like Hubb already said, Andy will be perma-bugged if you go to A2 in the same game you complete her quest. The others cant be permabugged, you can only glitch them with the method above.

Really, I dont think its worth it for anyone other than Meph or Baal, though. You can only choose one act-boss target to glitch per MF runner (since you obviously cant advance past the act while glitching it), and it takes a lot more effort than just running them unglitched, for a relatively small benefit (no "junk" drops on quest kill...they dont drop more, they just have no chance to drop arrows/scrolls/potions/etc.)

I'm pretty sure only act bosses get "quest" drops too.

Well, "more" in the sense of "more potentially useful items".

If you're serious about the game I wouldn't say it's "a lot" more effort. Making the sorc is np since leveling a char is a trivial affair these days, and there are always baal runs to join where you can kill meph.

Well it either requires perming the game or running 2 clients/CD keys, either of which I think qualify as beyond the call of normal gameplay :)

And I'm not even so sure about the ubiquity of Baal runs anymore, I think we'll see a lot more CS runs instead now that Wave 2 is properly immune to BH....

Ye - fair enough - multiple clients will be the most convenient option and probably be the way to go if you want to gain the most from the glitch, but like I said joining someone else's baal run (or chaos run or really any hell game where the hoster has done meph) isn't a big prob.

Nah, I think baal runs will still be the easiest as the chars that don't participate can simply sit there, whereas in chaos they have to run around. A well equipped lightning or fire sorc will make short work of the 2nd wave. There will be more chaos runs for sure because of IM's removal and I'm looking forward to it. You can only take so many baal runs. And chaos will still be fairly challenging if your chars don't indulge themselves in too many HRs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I wish I had got a better answer from one of the stats geeks, but I'll take it.

Your right they're only three monster this is really worth doing on is Meph, Diablo, and Baal. It's not that hard to do really. When I've had a blizz meph runner it was hard. You just look for the name called Baal or Chaos or whatever. Join, check the quest to make sure you wont complete it. Have fun.

It was really hard to try to get Meph dead with the moat trick in time before they all killed Baal and ran off. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Wow Kinda disappointed this topic didn't get more attention.

One of the reasons is it is one of the best ways to build wealth.

I'm not sure what the top four ways are but one of them is running hell Meph over and over. If that is what you are going to do then this is the way to do it.

I'm amazed that not one person stepped up and said. Hey cool, I'm going to do that. I remember one ladder season I started two weeks late so this is what I did. It was really fun to socket a 23 res viper with a Topaz because that was what I had to do.

A) yes, everyone knows Hell Meph is a good MF target, especially early in ladder

B) the benefit from glitching isnt that great...it doesnt increase your MF, it doesnt make the items "better", it just means if he was going to drop gold or a potion, he drops an item instead. And running in Baal/CS games means he'll be at /p8 difficulty, yet act bosses dont get bonus drops in full games (since their nodrop chance is already zero at /p1)

C) There's only so many public Baal/CS games at a time, meaning once you burn through them all, you're stuck, unless you're using 2 CD keys with 2 sorcs. And if you have 2 sorcs in A3 Hell, chances are its not the very beginning of ladder when running Hell Meph yields the best results.

D) To the OP, never expect everyone to be like "omg you're teh geenyuz!" in your threads, you shouldnt base your self-esteem on your standing on the Internet...see: Tila Tequila :)

lol.

Great points. No my self esteem is not tied up on the Internet. What's funny is my nickname is "Genius." A certain percent of people who know me act like it's a when you call a big guy tiny or a fat guy slim.

You pointed out two things that I wasn't sure about. I didn't realize how much the glitching benefit was. Now I understand.

No I don't have two CD-keys and two sorcs.

D) I took it all in good humor. And Droid I really thank you as I got the answer I needed. TYVM.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High