To pre-buff with Memory or not?

Kurumi

Sep 4, 2009
To pre-buff with Memory or not?

So back in 1.09, before runewords like Call to Arms, life was simple. As an ES sorc your weapon switch was your trusty Memory staff for re-casting after that mana burn boss pack almost made you their you-know-what. You got your mana pool up as high as possible with stats and gear, and that was that.

Nowadays, you have to choose between having a Memory on switch or a CTA on switch. Do I want a good deal more mana and life but have to pop back to town everytime I get mana burnt or the duration runs out? Or do I leave the CTA off and try to get by with a lower health/mana pool?

What do people like to do assuming you want to go the Full ES (40 soft points) route?

My likely gear:

+3 Lightning skills/25 PDR amulet (still searching for. Will pay in many HRs for. May have to just settle for a plain 25 PDR ammy though.)
Griffons socketed with a facet
Mal'ed Vipermagi
Hoto
Spirit Monarch
2x Stone of Jordan
Frostburns
Sandstorm Trek
Random belt until I can wear Arachnid Mesh
Anni
Hellfire Torch

I have a good amount of lightning skillers too.

Re: To pre-buff with Memory or not?

I tried using CtA, and it was too much hassle for my taste. Ended up wearing memory on switch, still safe enough. I would advise against using a plain pdr amu. 25 is too much for pvm and since you are losing a lot of skill points in tk+es, you need all the +skills you can get. I wore Sol'ed Viper for a long time, now I'm wearing +3 light/18 pdr amu + faceted Viper and it's enough protection. If something goes through (a bunch of exploding dolls for example) they'd just as well deplete your mana first.

It doesn't have to be 25 PDR. But I want at least a 3 Lightning/20 PDR amulet. I'm leveling up a Gold-find Necro right now just for the purposes of Gambling said amulet. I nev er want to see my life bulb go down.

How much hard points you got in ES? And how much total effective +Lightning you got? I'm probably gonna use charged blt for fun.

Best of luck with that. :) Out of curiosity I checked the chances of gambling a +3 light/20+ pdr amulet... 1 out of 144448 amulets at level 90. :crazyeyes:
Life will still go down when you are poisoned or cursed by those damn witches btw. :(

13 points in ES. And L/CL/LM are at lvl43. The setup is almost identical to yours, except for a facet in Viper instead of Mal, and 3/20 Eschuta instead of HoTO. If I remade her, I'd have put a couple less points in ES, and more into synergies, the difference between, say, 92% and 95% ES isn't very noticeable.

Bleh. THe person who has an ES staff for trade is not being veyr responsive. If I don't get an ES staff, then it'll be pretty hard for me to reach level 40 ES if I also don't have a Powere Amulet of Life everlasting.

Also I won't be gambling at level 90. I'll be gambling with a level 65 or 70 character. Much better chances since I won't be getting mods I don't want (mods of too high level).

How do you check the chances of gambling btw?

I...haven't found ANY yet >.< Care to sell one to me?

Forgive the intrusion, but I've always wondered about this. Isn't 95% Es a waste for pvm, as nothing does that much dmg? If you had, say, 80% Es and 20 pdr/mdr, wouldn't you still take no dmg (or very little) and even spare some mana since the pdr/mdr would negate a larger % of the dmg, instead of it burning away your mana? :scratchchin:

Forgive the intrusion, but I've always wondered about this. Isn't 95% Es a waste for pvm, as nothing does that much dmg? If you had, say, 80% Es and 20 pdr/mdr, wouldn't you still take no dmg (or very little) and even spare some mana since the pdr/mdr would negate a larger % of the dmg, instead of it burning away your mana? :scratchchin:

In theory yes, but it'll lower your margin for error quite a bit. And when you get cursed or come across a nasty monster, it's much more likely that chunks of damage will seep past your ES. That's still enough that a few potions (or a Prayer+Insight merc) will do the trick though.

I'd say aiming for handling about 150 damage (~85% ES, ~20 MDR/PDR) is a little more reliable goal for negating ~99.5% of the damage you face in PvM. There's still going to be the nastiest damage that'll cause a little damage no matter what, but most of the time you should at least be able to get cursed then get whacked a few times without really loosing any life.

Back to the original question, I wouldn't prebuff CtA and ES both for PvM. Too much of a headache. It makes much more sense (obviously) for PvP though.

"I tried using CtA, and it was too much hassle for my taste. Ended up wearing memory on switch, still safe enough."

Ditto.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High