Which merc?

LeaTelamon

Nov 1, 2009
Which merc?

I've been running a lot of bosses in nightmare lately, should I switch to defiance merc because they are hit less? Although it does however seem that a holy freeze aura merc actually makes Baal unable to teleport if you manage to force him up at the top of the platform near the Worldstone, not that I run Baal a lot, too much of an effort when I could've done Andy and Mephisto again.

He just dies a lot on Andy even after I gave him Venomward so he wouldn't get so nuked from her poison attacks. Mephisto is a bit better but still far from ideal, I must still give him a few healing potions at time. Now, you might say that this isn't a problem but I find it rather inconvenient to give him potions when he really shouldn't need any. Holy freeze does slow down act bosses' attack speed, but he still takes a lot of damage. Meh.

Re: Which merc?

Your merc shouldn't be dying in NM... lvl up some more and hire one at a higher lvl will usually solve the issue.

A Kelpie Snare would help too if you're not needing Insight for mana.

Andy owns mercenaries no matter what you do as long as her poison hits. Your only solution with Andy is to either own her before she hits your mercenary with poison, or just own her and then Antidote your mercenary. Venomward won't help. For Andy/Meph runs, I usually just leave my mercenary dead.

Also, get rid of your defiance mercenary. Bloody useless, stick with Holy Freeze/Might/Prayer.

I feel i need more input.
what level is he and what does he use as a weapon/helm ?

Insight Poleaxe, non ethereal. Helm some rare crap I found. I gave him it because it had some decent defense rating but that was pretty much the good part about that helm. He is level 73 just like I am. There is no way I can afford to buy a decent helm for him, that is one of the reasons why I run Andy and Mephisto in nightmare in the first place >.< They still drop some tradable items in nightmare like SoJ.

Your only solution with Andy is to either own her before she hits your mercenary with poison,

Andy is effortless, but to maximize my MF I should let my merc get the killing blow so his puny MF from Insight adds to mine; meaning I c an't nuke her on my own, or...? I can basically nuke her down in a few seconds so that's not a problem, it's just that I either must go back to town to heal him or toss him a lot of potions which barely helps. I also kind of like him when I am running through Durance and those stygians dolls spawn; they are so damn fast so even with over 60% faster hit recovery they easily force me into a stunlock if many of them attack me at once. His holy freeze slows them down when they come near, and of course, I still need Insight for the mana. I don't even have to chug mana potions while teleporting.

Also, get rid of your defiance mercenary

Didn't say I have one, I said I got a holy freeze one but I heard that defiance one is better for act bosses.

andy always kills any mercs. at level 89 my merc always dies from poison from hell andy, from 1 spray. only thing that can save your merc is antidot. if you worried THAT much about mf, start doing glitched andy.

Andy is effortless, but to maximize my MF I should let my merc get the killing blow so his puny MF from Insight adds to mine; meaning I c an't nuke her on my own, or...?

Oh... my... god... please stop that asap >.<

Killing speed >>>>>> MF%. That tiny an increase in MF isn't worth anything at all. Heck, I wouldn't let my merc do the killing even if he had 500%MF, if he killed like yours.

The only time you should EVER let the merc do the killing (from a MF perspective) is if you're a GF horker barb...

A good merc helmet can be very cheap (i.e 1-2 pgems). Look for a Crown of Thieves, a Tal's Mask, or something like that.

Oh... my... god... please stop that asap >.<

It does feel like it matters... sometimes :( Although I admit she dies so fast I kill her without even intending to at times >.<
andy always kills any mercs. at level 89 my merc always dies from poison from hell andy, from 1 spray

This is why I liked my zon when doing hell Andy, because valkyrie could always be resummoned and she didn't instantly die (well sometimes) and it only costs the amount of gold it takes to buy more mana pots. But meh.

If scudstorm gets so sad I will stop worrying about letting my merc having the killing blow. And what is a glitched Andy? I didn't know Crown of Thieves and Tal Rasha were so cheap. Then yes, I can easily afford that. I suppose CoT is much cheaper if it doesn't have perfect GF?

^ A glitched Andy always drops a quest drop (ergo better chances at unique/set items).

To glitch, simply talk to Warriv and head to Act II. The only way you don't get a glitched Andy is if you save and exit before going to Act II.

I find it intresting that ppl have so much problems with their mercs at actbosses.
My merc doesnt have a problem, maybe every fourth or fifth andy run i have him drink a pot.
And he doesn't even use RW's

just stock up on PDR/MDR/DR and leech and youre more or less set.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High