The Certain Death Tournament.

Jaheira decided it was time to tackle the Durance and Mephisto. The council didn't pose any problem, most likely because Jaheira simply placed a few lightning sentries in their midst and then ran away. She did though return to pick up the dropped loot. :grin:

Entering the Durance the one thing that was feared was dolls, and I wasn't disappointed. On the second level dolls abounded, including a nice boss pack. For this I had my computer's sound up high in the effort to hear the pitter-patter of little doll feet. Served well as a warning and gave Jaheira enough time to cast a CoS and retreat slightly before letting the mercenary loose.

Mephisto himself gave Jaheira a little scare, but that was purely due to bad planning on my part. Eliminated any possible reinforcements fro either side of the moat before inching forward to lure Mephisto away from any vampires that may be lurking behind him. On he came running and completely ignored the mercenary. Instead he fired a cold ball right at Jaheira, which she was unable to dodge. Instantly her life was down to 1/4, classic palmface moment. :doh: Forgot to load up on thawing potions beforehand. A quick TP back to town to drink a half dozen of said potions then Mephisto went down fairly easily, and the mercenary survived the encounter to boot.

Some equipment rearranging is required to ensure as close to 50% lightning resistance as possible before venturing forth into Act IV as the Souls worry be a bit with their extremely long reach. Up to this point Jaheira was running around with about 23% LR, which did make the Beetles in Act II interesting.

[highlight]Jaheria the Trapsin, Level 31, Normal Pandemonium Fortress[/highlight]

Re: The Certain Death Tournament.

Murderherder reached act 2, at level 19. Andariel made short work of my two dire wolves. I'm really hoping these animals get stronger as they level up. I plan to max oak sage and cyclone armor, along with the dire wolves. Definitely going to have a 'murder' of ravens as well. With this char I intentionally decided to be a hunter rather than making a windy/summoner, because with this setup I'll have to sit back and take my time. With builds capable of killing quickly I tend to lose my head and rush in, getting killed.

Murderherder, lvl 19 hunter druid, ~159 life, Lut Gholein.

I had a lot of fun with the hunter I played (in the bow tourney). Good luck! :)

great stuff morathi - if i remember correctly fissure is as powerful in nm as it is in normal, at least for a few acts! get some plus skills and the damage ramps way up

if i was playing a firey here i think i would steer clear of the phys damage skills, and get a big bear though. so much more safety, especially with some OS. 1/2 damage as physical doesnt lend itself to a perfect FI strategy

im only saying that cos you still could easy, pump bear, then go firestorm to finish (because the skill kicks butt as well, it is a major kill skill for non FI enemies, especially if they arent moving at max speed cos a big bear is all up in their face)

but a full blooded firey is always fun

empmoo - no worries with the polearm. i just was sad you were hating conc so much. you need high damage through normal, you will be safe enough

as for myself i have got a bit further but no point in an update really. i think i will hit ES first. i really like the damage mitigation route, i just need an iron pelt/gladiator's bane to drop, do add to my circlet of life everlasting. then its a simple matter of sorting out mdr and resists

as for myself

Meshifs guided his ship safely into Kurast thinking thankfully to himself that he'd soon be rid of his aloof non fee paying Amazon passengers, one of whom spent the whole of the previous night pacing the deck, shouting over the side, attempting to lance fish!

For Damasque the journey so far had been eventful but every danger met countered with speed (80%frw) and agility (45%fhr) and Damasque's light armour bore little testament to the ferocity of some of the encounters in Khanduras and Aranoch. Andariel ,Fangskin, Duriel and all the lesser evils had fallen either to her fury or the Valkyries onslaught but the gear found on the way proved more valuable. A beautiful Gloom's trap mesh, found in the sewers, gird her waist, but the heavier Spirit Shroud armour remained unused.along with three of the four Sigons set items(including a second shield), vidalas barb, two pairs of frostburns, another pair of treads and several racks of javelins. Only a single amn rune from the countess had been found in Khanduras but under the earth by the Far Oasis a sol, then in the Tombs* a further two sols, 2 amns and a thul were gratefully added. Over 20 perfect gems and 20 jewels for crafting rattled alongside them. Getting that lot through customs might prove tricky!.

Act 1 all at p8, act 2 all at p8 except Tombs and Duriel p5 and the palace p1.

Tarantella Damasque Skirmisher Kurast Docks Level 59

*Stash contents

So far my necro is doing quite well amping enemies, tossing javelins and letting his merc do her thing. CE is still quite useless, only used two times thinning out some bosspacks. Still too mana consuming and not very effective in normal.

I went P8 full clears all the way after doing countess, then I figured what the heck and didn't bother with full clears. Still P8 of course. She only had one NDE that was in tower level 5 where I ran myself into a nasty situation, nothing that a TP and a juv couldn't solve though.

Screenies:
http://i37.tinypic.com/15ed91i.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/2yzdbb4.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/2u4piky.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/tamrlf.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/301lch5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/2a8rxgw.jpg

[highlight]WitchOfEndor, level 17,99 CE/Curse necromancer, Outer Cloister WP.[/highlight]

TheAragorn got back to the work of cleansing this realm of evil with Elexa, finishing off the Black Marsh and heading into the Tamoe Highland. Monsters still fell like plasticine before him; even without any IAS, he could name- and stunlock the roving skeletal magi to death, namelock Carver Shamans and brute force his way through the Carver/Devilkin horde with a barrage of quarrels, and kite the Vile Lancers back and forth over the landscape, pausing every so often to fire a couple of shots. Elexa told him that Blood Raven once told the Rogue Sisters she used the same tactics on Black Knights, Azure Drakes, and Lava Spitters before she fell to The Dark...the only difference was that Blood Raven had Mana Shield once upon a time.

During the cleansing of the aforementioned evil from the land, TheAragorn had some good fortune at Gheed's and not long thereafter was made content with his hand- and footwear. It almost immediately paid off. Death's Hand sealed Andariel's doom right there.

The Pit passed mostly without incident. Apparently Coldcrow came back from the dead as a Bone Archer and teamed up with a Lightning-Enchanted Afflicted to try raining on TheAragorn's parade when he entered Level 2 but Afflicted are dreadfully easy to stunlock, they like to stand back and shoot lightning after being forced into stun, and lots and lots of red potions abounded for Elexa to guzzle as she took the ball lightning hits. TheAragorn gained enough power to unlock the potential of Holy Freeze, which he immediately set as his aura of choice, as well as dumping 5 points into Resist Cold. Now bodies began to shatter left and right.

The Outer Cloister and Barracks were a surprising leap in difficulty for TheAragorn--Black Rogues are much quicker than their brethren, Devilkin Shamans are capable of taking more than two or three hits and resurrected their ilk more quickly, and Bone Archers actually hurt when they shot past Elexa after she retreated from mobs of Devilkin. Once past the initial hordes of monsters, though, life became easier as TheAragorn and Elexa could draw them out and deal with them in more manageable numbers. The Smith was forgettable; his silly self was constantly hung up on a cluster of barrels as TheAragorn pumped him full of bolts and Elexa walked in a vague square around said cluster.

The Jail was when The Dark began a malicious wearing-away at TheAragorn's willpower. You shall have wands and clubs, but no bows! No, never a gold Short Battle Bow for you! You see?! However, TheAragorn was also blessed by the Light at how incredibly stupid the minions of Diablo were. TheAragorn could just stand back and allow Elexa to use her infinite reserves of arrows to perforate vast mobs and collect what they dropped.

Things became a blur of righteous demonslaying after that. Dark One Shaman were less irksome than Devilkin for some reason, Pitspawn Fouldog was locked in a jail cell with no means of escape, Ghouls (though a mite sturdy) took long minutes to get anywhere close to attack, and the tendency of Arachs to flee when seriously injured allowed TheAragorn to dumbfire into whole swarms of the beasts without exposing himself to harm. A slightly hairy situation arose when a Lightning-Enchanted mob of Banished guarded the stairs heading to Level 4 of the Catacombs...they're quick, have good health, lob fireballs, and the Charged Bolts forced TheAragorn to be constantly on his toes. He was even forced to drink a couple of healing potions during the attrition, but never was in any real danger of death.

Andariel fell exactly as predicted. Death's Hand went on (putting TheAragorn at exactly 50% poison resist) and with stamina potions in the inventory, he proceeded to play tag with the naked spider queen as Elexa bit the dust. Some red potions needed to be drunk now and again to offset the slow sapping of life, but the inevitable happened. She gave up a fairly nice bow that I immediately equipped over my crossbow because of the increased firing speed, even though I lost a little damage per projectile.

To Lut Gholein! In the meantime, TheAragorn pulled some items from an extradimensional storage space to pawn off to the locals, as they were willing to pay more for them. He also heard that one Atma had a plight with a powerful undead beastie. Unwilling to allow a woman to suffer, he bid Elexa farewell and hired a mercenary with a healing aura. Equipping him appropriately, the duo descended into the absurdly spacious sewers and laid waste to the denizens. TheAragorn could hide behind a bulky meatshield and unleash death with nigh-impunity. So he had to force potions down his ally's throat. So that ally died standing toe-to-toe with Radagast. So nothing of any note outside a Nef rune dropped in the sewers. TheAragorn was well on his way to righteous vengeance!.

[highlight]TheAragorn, Ranger Paladin, Level 21, Lut Gholein[/highlight]

Nothing much to report so far. Mephy was a piece of cake (I did him on /p1 for safety sake), he went down in about 4-5hits. His drop reflected my choice in going for the easy route.

I have decided to sacrifice almost all MF for safety. I now have all resists at about 48, I made this choice after a particularly nasty NDE in The Flayer Jungle (surrounded and nearly toasted by a Flayer Shamen that I hadn't seen, he was hidden behind a tree).

Now stopped for the night at the start of Act IV.

So, I'd like some opinions please. This char is a def oriented concbarb. (Once I've maxed BO and conc), do I:

1)Pump shout (to give me and merc a def bonus), then bash (other synergy to conc)
2)Shout and Iron Skin (defense to the max, at the expense of damage)
3)Distibute points arbitrarily amongst the three, as the whim takes me.
4)Pump bash (to max dmg), then shout/iron skin
5)Other.

Trixie is encountering very few problems as yet. She has ducked into the Monastery to activate the OC WP before clearing the Pit and the rest of the Tamoe Highland. Her luck with charms has been abyssimal: not a single +life charm and very few of anything else. She's got +6 life on her belt and +8 on a jewel in her skull cap, bringing her to a grand total of 94 HP, with stats at 51/51/20/40 and crappy resists. Her skill mainstay is still Blade Sentinel and she's dual-wielding 2 wristblades set with 2 gems each. On switch she has a nice crystal sword and a rare shield for when (and if) she gets Blade Fury.

[highlight]JayeM, Trixie, bladesin, Outer Cloister, 16[/highlight]

Nice updates guys. I especially enjoy all the screenies.

Quick update: Shadow_Salad has defeated Diablo! It felt really good to get past Pancake's death site. The first half of Act IV was a breeze, of course. Free items and experience against Dim Vision'ed monsters. S_S swapped his Savage Halberd for a 'Steel' Great Axe which looks really awesome. His forge was extremely depressing with no topazes. Then again, I suppose there's a decent chance of that, with 7 gem types and 4 gems dropped.

Zanarhi died once to Iron Maiden in the Chaos Sanctuary, against Lord de Seis's pack. Other than that, it was smooth (but slow) sailing -- luring the melee units away from the OK's. I replaced 'attack' on my left click with bone spear 'cause I didn't want to take any chances with IM. I got a pretty well-timed picture of Diablo. S_S figured out a good system for Diablo: keep Life Tap on him at all time, feed Zanarhi a red potion every time Diablo used his lightning hose, and feed Zanarhi a purple when Diablo used it twice in a row. S_S was hit by the ring of fire for about 1/4th of his life occasionally, but one hit with life tap replenished it all. He had his fire/lightning resists "maxed" (50), but Diablo never attacked him thanks to the four range on the Giant Axe.

There were 0 good finds this act, but I should share with you guys a gamble I made back in Act III and forgot about. This is probably the best pair of non-mf boots I've ever gambled:

Blood Slippers
Boots
Defense: 2
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0xa04117f9
Item Level: 28
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Properties:
Fire Resist +40%
Cold Resist +28%
Poison Resist +36%
20% Faster Run/Walk
Poison Length Reduced by 25%
Repairs 1 Durability in 33 Seconds

[highlight]Shadow_Salad, level 35 Meleemancer, Harrogath[/highlight]

[highlight]Post Script[/highlight]

EmperorMoo, I can't update your character without more information. The last one was at the Arcane Sanctuary. I need to know what level you are and stuff. :p

BlueChip, RIP for Vitamin. I loved his name by the way. Wraith packs can be really nasty thanks to how they stack.

Zelator, welcome to the tournament! It's definitely not too late to join. We are glad to have you. :)

Last edited:

great stuff morathi - if i remember correctly fissure is as powerful in nm as it is in normal, at least for a few acts! get some plus skills and the damage ramps way up

if i was playing a firey here i think i would steer clear of the phys damage skills, and get a big bear though. so much more safety, especially with some OS. 1/2 damage as physical doesnt lend itself to a perfect FI strategy

im only saying that cos you still could easy, pump bear, then go firestorm to finish (because the skill kicks butt as well, it is a major kill skill for non FI enemies, especially if they arent moving at max speed cos a big bear is all up in their face)

but a full blooded firey is always fun

Nup, no summons for Drake.

He is a pyromaniac druid and must get the most powerful fire spells so he can watch his advasaries burn :evil:!!! No time for summons.

Helen managed to do a full clear of Act 2 at Players 7 . . . it was easy for her . . . not so much for the merc. As soon as Helen reached Lut Gholein Mizan (the combat merc) was hired and equipped with a gambled pike that had 33% ED and 5% LL . . . the pike worked pretty well for Mizan which was a good thing because he pretty much ended up doing all the work. Up until the Maggot Lair (when Helen reached Level 24) she was pretty much good for nothing but stopping monsters with her one point Ice Arrow . . . after reaching Level 24 she still really wasn’t good for much but could at least dispose of monsters (albeit rather slowly). As soon as Helen was through the Maggot Lair she started cubing a couple of Stag Bows (that had dropped out of the same chest in the Maggot Lair . . . how handy). After exhausting all of her chipped skulls and diamonds she finally ended up with this Stag Bow (I’m not really sure if it’s good or not but it was the best I came up with). Using her new bow Helen was reasonably effective (but developed a serious blue pot problem).

Most monsters were pretty easy for Helen and Mizan to dispose of with the exception of Unravelers (surprise, surprise). Unravelers were trouble because Mizan couldn’t get through the undead minions by himself and there really wasn’t a great way for Helen to dispose of corpses (she ended up using Ice Arrow a lot and had to hope that the minions turned to slush upon death . . . a bit tedious but it mostly worked). Champion Unravelers were extra trouble because they themselves could not be frozen (so all their undead minions had to turned to slush) . . . the good news was that Champion Unravelers were few and far between. The better news was that there was only one unique Unraveler to contend with in the whole of Act 2 . . . yours truly the Ancient Kaa. Kaa would have been no trouble at all except my computer decided to drop to desktop in the middle of the fight (for no apparent reason) . . . ugh . . . it worked out okay but that would have been a bad way to go. (The bad news was that my computer continued to drop to desktop at a rate of about two times and hour . . . for no apparent reason . . . I blame AVG . . . I think . . . at least it didn’t happen during any really dangerous battle).

Drops were really good throughout Act 2 starting at Radament (I can’t remember that last time he dropped me a unique)! The best finds were probably Hsarus’ Belt and Hsarus’ Boots (the belt is in use, the boots are on standby for if Helen needs and AR boost). Also notable was a 26 MF Nagel that dropped in one of the Tombs and my first Manald of the tournament courtesy of Duriel (who by the way was a real pushover even at Players 7 . . . Mizan tanked and killed, Helen hid, super easy :whistling: ). I was a bit bummed that the Manald turned out to have only had 4% LL but it’s still pretty good for this tournament and this character. Other finds included: Cleglaw’s Shield, Berserker’s Axe, Angelic Sabre, Isenhart’s Helm, another Hsarus’ Belt, and the Deathspade and Cathan's Armor found at Duriel).

Here were Helen’s stats at the end of Act 2.

[highlight]Helen, FA/Strafer, Kurast Docks, Level 28[/highlight]

Oh yes, I almost forgot . . .

Nice, a Skystrike! Unfortunately its roll was atrocius, 158% Ed, that’s 8% off the worst roll :yuck:.

Helen would be more than happy to take that substandard weapon off Drake's hands . . . um, when wakiki isn't looking of course :badteeth: .

Upon reaching Act 4, monster hit points were suddenly much higher, so Rin toned it down as far as players settings even more. Her 1 point Freezing Arrow kept things relatively safe, but her mercenary still kicked the bucket against champions and bosses. There weren't any threatening encounters in the early going. Izual required a taped down left mouse button, but otherwise things went quite smoothly, and she even got a very nice find in her journey.

Upon reaching the River of Flame itself, however, Rin ran into trouble. With so many Abyss Knights hanging around, and with her resistances all low, she suffered a very close NDE, when she ran straight into a pack of the little buggers, eating a half dozen bolts in rapid succession. A quick purple managed to save her, albeit still with only a sliver of life remaining, and with that she decided to crawl through the area, spamming Decoy and Freezing Arrow, while her mercenary killed, eventually fetching a nice forge drop for her troubles.

Chaos Sanctuary was equally painful, if not for her, then most definitely her mercenary. IM would pop up around every corner, rendering him about as useful to Rin as a wet noodle. The fight against Diablo was equally bad, what with the demon hosing the fool at will, and thus Rin, at some point or another, scrapped the idea of using a mercenary altogether, at least for this fight. Her long and grueling tactic was to stand very far away, "spam" Guided Arrow radially, and check for a leech icon. Once one came up, she would continue firing in that direction, until the demon would move, at which point she started over from scratch. After many an arrow, a few trips to town, she completed her task, receiving nothing for her efforts, and happily moved on to her favorite of areas.

Upon entering Act 5, Rin pushed the settings back up, in order to accumulate levels. The monsters early on were of course very easy, aside from occasional frenzytaurs in the ever interesting side dungeons. Her mercenary was still a problem, falling flat against those monsters, and she had a rough NDE against a pair of champion frenzytaurs, who refused to allow her to stop and cast a TP. Otherwise, however, things went quite well. The Ancients were dealt with on /players 1. A mistake, if Rin would say so herself, as that made them too easy. The mercenary again entered "here, but not being targeted" mode, but it was hardly a problem with her now decently leveled Freezing Arrow. WSK and the minions were done on /players 3, as a precautionary measure, and Baal was handled on /players 1. His elemental attacks were moderately painful, but a Thawing potion made him relatively easy to tank, thus leading to his inevitable demise.

Here's her LCS shot on Baal kill, and her weapon at the time.

Code:
Name:       Rin
Class:      Amazon
Experience: 28656251
Level:      44

Naked/Gear
Strength:   75/75
Dexterity:  190/190
Vitality:   20/20
Energy:     15/15
HP:         156/219
Mana:       79/165
Stamina:    127/135
Defense:    47/184
AR:         920/1098

Fire:       21/-19/-79
Cold:       10/-30/-90
Lightning:  50/10/-50
Poison:     36/-4/-64

MF:         214       Block:      49
GF:         237
FR/W:       0
FHR:        0
IAS:        0
FCR:        0

Magic Arrow: 1/2
Fire Arrow: 0/0
Cold Arrow: 8/9
Multiple Shot: 1/2
Exploding Arrow: 0/0
Ice Arrow: 1/2
Guided Arrow: 1/2
Strafe: 13/14
Immolation Arrow: 0/0
Freezing Arrow: 8/9

Inner Sight: 1/1
Critical Strike: 5/5
Dodge: 0/0
Slow Missiles: 1/1
Avoid: 0/0
Penetrate: 1/1
Decoy: 1/1
Evade: 0/0
Valkyrie: 0/0
Pierce: 5/5

Grim Song
Ceremonial Bow
Two Hand Damage: 36 - 70
Durability: 32 of 55
Required Level: 40
Required Strength: 73
Required Dexterity: 110
Fingerprint: 0x88e061f5
Item Level: 38
+1 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
62% Enhanced Damage
Adds 6 - 4 Damage
Adds 1 - 88 Lightning Damage
3% Mana stolen per hit
4% Life stolen per hit
+1 to Mana after each Kill
Required Level +5
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Perfect Skull

Circlet of Luck
Circlet
Defense: 25
Durability: 33 of 35
Required Level: 19
Fingerprint: 0x6e94180
Item Level: 26
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Chance Guards
Chain Gloves
Defense: 27
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Level: 15
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0xdf8d5c7b
Item Level: 30
+25 to Attack Rating
+21% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
200% Extra Gold from Monsters
34% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Amulet of Luck
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x9136f7
Item Level: 26
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Doom Gyre
Ring
Required Level: 13
Fingerprint: 0x95af864b
Item Level: 36
+77 to Attack Rating
+10 to Life
Lightning Resist +15%
Fire Resist +6%
11% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Eagle Coil
Ring
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0x87809379
Item Level: 42
+28 to Attack Rating
+86 to Mana
Lightning Resist +12%
Damage Reduced by 2

Jade Plated Belt of the Tiger
Plated Belt
Defense: 11
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Strength: 60
Fingerprint: 0xd54ab77c
+25 to Life
Poison Resist +26%

Light Plated Boots of Luck
Light Plated Boots
Defense: 9
Durability: 16 of 18
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0x7b45489a
33% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Gemmed Breast Plate
Breast Plate
Defense: 65
Durability: 49 of 50
Required Strength: 30
Fingerprint: 0x52f7398d
Item Level: 20
60% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Flawless Topaz

Grand Charm of Thunder
Grand Charm
Required Level: 11
Fingerprint: 0x43dc131f
Item Level: 21
Adds 1 - 13 Lightning Damage

Grand Charm of Thunder
Grand Charm
Required Level: 11
Fingerprint: 0x5a84ab0b
Item Level: 19
Adds 1 - 13 Lightning Damage

Grand Charm of Winter
Grand Charm
Required Level: 17
Fingerprint: 0x1654d91e
Item Level: 23
Adds 5 - 11 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)

Small Charm of Frost
Small Charm
Required Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0x10f02967
Item Level: 17
Adds 1 - 2 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)

Rugged Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0x69655c1b
Adds 1 - 5 Lightning Damage
+8 Maximum Stamina

Crimson Small Charm of Life
Small Charm
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0xfb0106af
Item Level: 23
+6 to Life
Fire Resist +5%

Ocher Small Charm
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x12eeb3e4
Item Level: 4
Lightning Resist +7%

Bronze Large Charm of Life
Large Charm
Fingerprint: 0x52f61558
Item Level: 22
+4 to Attack Rating
+11 to Life

Lucky Grand Charm of Greed
Grand Charm
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0x20691394
Item Level: 40
37% Extra Gold from Monsters
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Fine Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Required Level: 16
Fingerprint: 0x97f903c5
+4 to Maximum Damage
+44 to Attack Rating
+11 to Life

Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xb74451a7
Item Level: 20
Adds 1 - 5 Lightning Damage

Ocher Small Charm of Flame
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x6b65da73
Item Level: 7
Adds 1 - 2 Fire Damage
Lightning Resist +6%

----------------------------------------------

Mercenary:

Name:       Leharas
Race:       Desert Mercenary
Type:       Comb-Normal
Experience: 9592768
Level:      44
Dead?:      false

Naked/Gear
Strength:   118/119
Dexterity:  92/94
HP:         655/655
Defense:    461/556
AR:         856/954

Fire:       97/57/-3
Cold:       87/47/-13
Lightning:  87/47/-13
Poison:    96/56/-4

Soul Cloak
Studded Leather
Defense: 69
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Strength: 17
Fingerprint: 0xa6c74d74
+17% Faster Hit Recovery
+6 to Maximum Damage
+29% Enhanced Defense
+2 to Dexterity
Fire Resist +10%
Poison Length Reduced by 25%
Ethereal
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Jewel of Wrath

Fiery Circlet
Circlet
Defense: 26
Durability: 35 of 35
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0xa9118fce
Item Level: 27
Adds 18 - 37 Fire Damage

Demon Thirst
Pike
Two Hand Damage: 18 - 81
Durability: 60 of 75
Required Strength: 60
Required Dexterity: 45
Fingerprint: 0xd29b43ae
Item Level: 25
+10% Increased Attack Speed
29% Enhanced Damage
+98 to Attack Rating
4% Life stolen per hit
+1 to Strength
Poison Resist +9%

[highlight]Rin, FA/Strafer, The Secret Cow Level, Level 44[/highlight]

My first tourney and my first HC character. This may be a short visit!

Say "Hi!" to WitherStick (his friends call him Poke-it), a daggermancer. He will have crowd control from his curses and bone walls, defensive capabilities with a strong bone armour and of course, a nasty pig-sticker for poisoning his enemies. No golem for me, sticking with a desert merc (or I may go completely mad like my Trang-Oul necro did and employ a Cold Wolf).

Anyway, WitherStick is resting in Lut Gholein, having performed a full clear of Act One. One VNDE, due to a cold explosion in one of the caves somewhere - if he had been less than three quarters health at the time, he'd have been Deeds. The game was played at P8 throughout, except for Lvl5 Countess (P1 for runes - two Tirs and an Eth. yay) and Andariel - her level was played at P5 although I could easily have done it at P8, in retrospect. The rogue merc was a quicker killer than Our Hero, but they were co-equals in the exercise, I reckon.

The merc had a 3os bow of various types throughout, two rubies and a sapphire preferred. Her armour and hat were 2os each, but I never found a jewel I wanted to use and of course, topazes are out.
An Act Two merc has now been hired, and will use a 3os bardiche (with two rubies and a sapphire).

The necro's armour was originally socketed with sapphires, for mana, but gradually got swapped for topazed armour and helmet. Shield is a Head with +2 Amp, +1 Bone Armour and socketed with the two Tir runes. Gear is pretty dire all round, except for one piece of extraordinary luck - Death's Hand gloves, basically a free pass for the Andy encounter. I have some poison damage charms, 6 Life SC and a 8 Life LC. And about 3 dozen Rejuv potions. Seriously.

ATMA used for extended stash.

Stuff
Skills - a point in Amp, DV, Weaken and Terror, one in BA, 5 in BW and 10 in PD
Stats
Str 25
Vit 15
Dex 27 (he uses a xbow on switch and needs a bit of dex)
Ene 25
Unspent 83

Life 95
BA 105
Mana 62

PDagger Damage 162 - 201, AR 294

Resists 12/0/14/50

Did I mention, drops and gear are awful.

Anyway, tl;dr

[highlight]WitherStick, Poison Daggermancer, Lut Gholein, Level 20[/highlight]

@jiansonz:
Pretty cool bow, but GAAH!, the mess among your gems drives me nuts! I can´t even look at it...

And I thought I was the only one OCD enough to organize my gems and so forth. Yep, I drooled over that bow too. :)

(the Death’s Sash might get some use but only getting eight slots is a pretty big penalty for what it offers).

My wishlist for 1.13 is a cube recipe to upgrade set items. IMHO that would increase the use of them.

@Alfonso the Great: What do you mean by 'namelock'?

I decided to join this tourney with a sorc, who is part of my septavirate tourney team Cheese. So meet Tilsit the blizzballer. She's soft on the outside but punches right back when you bite.

Decided to start immediately so here is Tilsit's tale for so far:

After getting acquainted with the residents of the Rogue Camp and saddled with a mission Tilsit started to clean the world by getting rid of all evil. While doing so she stumbled on her first shrine. Knowing that she might get more use of it later she left it alone. And so it happened; with her first gem she headed back and used the shrine. She was so exited that she failed to notice that she was too young to use such a powerful gem. After she had cleared the Blood Moor she ventured into the Den of Evil. While there she learned the powerfull spell Frost Nova and used it to freeze the enemy before she started to bash their head in with her sceptre. The last enemy was no more difficult than any other before. Mission accomplished she returned to the Rogue Camp for a night.

[highlight]UllaV, Tilsit, Blizballer, Cold Plains, Level 7[/highlight]

Ulla

Last edited:

Just completed Act I with Clodius, the Throwbarb. Going was rather slow, mostly because I became rather bored with the character. An endless stream of javelins and knives was easily enough to counter any threat. Most challenging were the countless repair trips... My item luck was horrible as usual in A1, no S/U, and again it took ages to get at least 3 chipped topazes (my stash was nearly full with other chipped gems by then).
Unexpected highlight was my rogue merc duping herself. Never seen this bug before (Jennas merc turned invisible for a while, so weird merc behaviour may be a result of the tournament rules ;))

[highlight] scrcrw, Clodius, Throwbarb, Lut Gholein, level 20 [/highlight]

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High