best PVM build? sorry new to pallys

mattstsar

Oct 19, 2009
best PVM build? sorry new to pallys

Hi guys,

Had a look through all the guides and im still confused. Whats a good build for a char with basically no gear untill i start farming? PVM...with uber tristram capable..Is it the 1pt smither guide (in this forum still the better?)

Re: best PVM build? sorry new to pallys

That depends what you want to do with it.
The only type of Paladins that can handle Uber Tristram with ease is the Smiter--and even then it's somewhat gear intensive (it's not Uber Tristram for no reason, yenno?)

However, even without those gears, a Smiter or some variation of it could pretty well handle the game on his own.
Other considerations (from least gear-orientated to most): Zealot (or some variation of it), Avenger (and variations), and finally the Hammerdin.

-Kinky

A Hammerdin is the best starting paladin build, since it's still powerful with low gear, but he's not that good at Uber Tristam unless you regear him as a Smiter... Still if you want a character to MF with I'd suggest a Hammerdin.

Get Lifetap ( + 30ish CB.. GriefPB...

And you'll be good to go. I suggest Draculs and a Lifetap wand for the initial curse.

And you'll probably need some IAS gear... if you're going to use the allres aura... IF you need that against mephisto that is.

You migh want to change your Enigma for a cheap smoke (Nef-Lum)... + a Treachery. Chains of honour is also a choice; though expensive.... But this should Nullify the -allres from mephisto.

(but the Hammerdin might collapse at that, gear-wise - if you remove the Enigm

Invest 1pt into Fantasm, and you'll be good to go. Or have IAS if you want to save that point.

Note: This requires good gear. But; I know that it could be done with very cheap gear.

Thanks for the suggestions guys..can anyone point me in a decent guide to a hammerdin? Is giga's guide is viable?

mmm im torn between smiter and hammerdin...for those that have played both builds, what did you find better funwise and damage wise?

mmm im torn between smiter and hammerdin...for those that have played both builds, what did you find better funwise and damage wise?
Damage-wise, there are hardly ANY builds, including non-Paladin builds, that can match the Hammerdins.

Fun-wise...well you might find the Hammerdin fun, but not so much compared to a Smiter/Zealot--if you're more into the hack-em-up playing style.

-Kinky

ok..so what about doing uber trist runs? hammerdins with 1 point smite will work as good as zsmite?
Is it because hammerdins will take too much damage to solo it ok?

IF you want to make the fastest killer just hammerdin is the best, i dont even know why others are mentioned in a "BEST pvm build" thread, as they are all way slower, less effective.

look at this guide: its dthseeker's "uber"din guide.
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533673

in a nutshell its a hammerdin with crushing blow equipment and drac's in stash to do ubers.

for doing ubers, the only difference between this build and the 1point smiter build is the absence of max fanaticism, so you attack slower, which is why rawness suggested adding ias gear.

personally, i love playing my zealer cuz i can equip him with random items that i find like jade tan do kris and still be able to kill stuff because of crushing blow, or give him fun proc items like carrion wind and watch him shoot a bunch of tornadoes.

my suggestion: if gear is not a problem, make both :)
if you dont have gear, make the zealer.
but if you can get your hands on an insight polearm, make the hammerdin

ok..so what about doing uber trist runs? hammerdins with 1 point smite will work as good as zsmite?
Is it because hammerdins will take too much damage to solo it ok?

If you're pressed for resources, the Hammerdin with one point Smite will suffice. In fact, I'd recommend it over anything else.
However, if you're not, I would otherwise recommend the Zmiter way over the Hammerdin-Smiter conversion if you want to Uber.

IF you want to make the fastest killer just hammerdin is the best, i dont even know why others are mentioned in a "BEST pvm build" thread, as they are all way slower, less effective.

There's more than one way to define "Best". In terms of monster killing efficiency, the Hammerdin wins hands down; but it's also the most boring Paladin to play. A Hammerdin's monster-killing efficiency also depends on his gear. A mediocre Zealot or Smiter can do just as much damage as a mediocre Hammerdin.

-Kinky

if you dont have gear, make the zealer.
but if you can get your hands on an insight polearm, make the hammerdin
Dude, its exactly the opposite. Zealots do close to meaningless damage in big games without botd/grief. Hammerdins still kill well with crappy dual spirits and magic items. Spirits and shako also give a ton of mana.

There's more than one way to define "Best". In terms of monster killing efficiency, the Hammerdin wins hands down; but it's also the most boring Paladin to play. A Hammerdin's monster-killing efficiency also depends on his gear. A mediocre Zealot or Smiter can do just as much damage as a mediocre Hammerdin.
Indeed the case was with crappy items as the OP said, but hammers are great then! Melee pallies can only match hammerdins against single opponents in damage terms, when there are bigger groups the former just blow due to a single attack only hitting one opponent unlike the spiralling hammer. Hammerdins also move faster thanks to vigor.

Just try it man: use a zealot with nords' or any typical cheapo elite weapon, and then use a hammerdin with cheapo dual spirits and viper and other pgem items. Its just no competition.

Hammerdin with +6 all skills and 125fcr(easy with budget gear):16k dmg per second multiplied by amount of monsters getting hit by single hammer.
Zealot(160 dmg elite weapon, 60% ds, 85% chance to hit): with 1000 ed and average 5 frame attack speed over time: 12000 dmg + crushing blow per second on single opponent.

Similar damage against single opponent, but against several opponents hammers are way faster.

Last edited:

I agree, the main advantadge of hammerdins is the AoE attack and the lack of immunities (and resistances, since BH ignores resistances of demons and undeads, which are the majority of monsters in the game). Besides it's far easier to get decent MF without sacrifices in killing speed for a hammerdin (and for casters in general) than it is for any melee build...

The only reason to go with another build is preferring a melee character or hating BH for some reason, which would be fine, but just judging effectiveness no other paladin build compares to the hammerdin without having elite gear.

Dude, its exactly the opposite. Zealots do close to meaningless damage in big games without botd/grief. Hammerdins still kill well with crappy dual spirits and magic items. Spirits and shako also give a ton of mana.

i was assuming op was untwinked.... and even so i still go by what i said. i think youre taking spirits and shako for granted (and if you can get those im pretty sure you can get a cheap insight).

Hi guys,

Had a look through all the guides and im still confused. Whats a good build for a char with basically no gear untill i start farming? PVM...with uber tristram capable..Is it the 1pt smither guide (in this forum still the better?)

If you're just starting out then I would not recommend focusing your attention on the Ubers just yet lol. As already mentioned, the smiter when appropriately geared is the best character for running ubers. However when it comes to pure killing speed then the Hammerdin is the build for you.

Since you won't have gear (I'm assuming) you will be chugging lots of mana pots, but the hammers will still do very solid dmg and they can kill any monster in the game with the exception of wailing beasts which are located in Hell mode, Act 3 and then randomly distributed within six temples (very tiny dungeons).

In short, you can kill anything. The wailing beasts are in a place so out of the way you will almost never run across them and if you do any merc will pummel them (they are quite weak).

i would suggest a hammerdin because i have a hammerdin and its very fun but ive seen smiters do alot better job with uber trist more than hammerdins but they can do it...but mainly its up too you

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High