Ruby Jewel of Fervor: what to do with it?

Arkardo

Sep 30, 2006
Ruby Jewel of Fervor: what to do with it?

I reported this beauty yesterday in the item find thread:

Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Required Level: 58
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0xf3bb4f96
+34% Enhanced Damage
15% Increased Attack Speed

Well, the question is easy enough: what piece of equipment should I socket this in? :scratchchin:

I have a number of idea's:
- Guillame's Face: I tend towards this one; it's an awesome PvM helm. Also, it's replacable, so, should I find that perfect 40% ED 15% IAS jewel, I can just socket it in another Guillame's Face. I can also use this on mercs. It's just a shame that I have to get life leech from a different source in this case. Also, I tend to stick with Arreat's Face and Jalal's Mane for Barbs and Druids, if only for the resists. (Those are hard to max on Single Player. That was so much easier back in my Battle.net days. Not that I miss those, of course.)
- Upped perfect Butcher's Pupil: this wonderful piece of equipment just begs for such a great jewel. Can be used for pretty much all one-handed melee characters, I'd say? The problem is I can also get IAS from a Shael (even 5% more, though that won't often matter). Also, should I ever find two Lo's (the first one would be used for Fortitude), I'd make a Grief and probably never look back at Butcher's Pupil. Then again, what are the odds of that happening?
- Ribcracker: always a great weapon. Too bad I don't have one with (near) perfect ED.
- Hone Sundan: also a great weapon. I don't have an ethereal one, though. I do have one with a 1% ED off from being perfect, but I consider it a bit wasted in a non-ethereal one regardless.

So yeah, ANY input is welcome! And sorry, but gieb is not an option. :thumbsup:

(Oh, and just one more question: it doesn't matter whether you socket it on or off weapon, right? I thought that only applied to +min/max jewels?)

Re: Ruby Jewel of Fervor: what to do with it?

Out of your suggestions, I like the perfect Ribby option the best (no way should that go into a Butcher's Pupil). However! These jewels don't grow on trees so I'd wait until you had a better game plan. I had a couple of gg ruby jewels of fervor and I sat on them for ~2 years before I knew what I would spend them in. Even if patience isn't one of your virtues, I'd be leery of socketing it without at least a couple builds capable of using it or somehow benefitting from it.

Some questions to help you decide:
Are you self-found only? (don't trade)
What's your favorite class?
How often do you play?

I agree, such sweet jewels have to be hoarded until you have a truly elite weapon/piece of gear you're going to use for the rest of your d2 days, if at all possible in your favourite build/class for maximum profit (this might be an exaggeration, but you get the idea :p).

Hey there, thanks for your replies!

Out of your suggestions, I like the perfect Ribby option the best (no way should that go into a Butcher's Pupil). However! These jewels don't grow on trees so I'd wait until you had a better game plan. I had a couple of gg ruby jewels of fervor and I sat on them for ~2 years before I knew what I would spend them in. Even if patience isn't one of your virtues, I'd be leery of socketing it without at least a couple builds capable of using it or somehow benefitting from it.

Some questions to help you decide:
Are you self-found only? (don't trade) Yes, self-found all the way.
What's your favorite class? Sorceress, for magic finding. Besides that, I like the common melee builds: (IK) whirlwinder, Fury druid, Zealot, etc. I'm not really into ranged builds, for some reason.
How often do you play? Right now, probably 1-2 hours a day, since I only have about 25-30 hours to work each week. When I find a full-time job, that'll probably be only a few hours in the weekends.

And yes, I'm really patient. :smug:

(Oh, and just one more question: it doesn't matter whether you socket it on or off weapon, right? I thought that only applied to +min/max jewels?)

No, it doesn't matter, it's just ED/max and ED/min jewels socketed in off-weapon slots that are bugged and don't work properly.

I have no easy answers for you (actually, I'm having the same dilemma with a -3/+5 lightning rainbow facet), but a couple things you might want to consider:

1. Shael rune only gives ias in weapons, and jewel of fervor gives ias regardless of what it's socketed in. Therefore if you want to maximize attack speed for some builds, you are better off with shaels in the weapons and the jewel in something else.
Edit: Though if it doesn't make a difference in breakpoints for builds you want to use, and you find more ruby jewels of fervor, then putting it in as many sockets as possible (including weapon) may be desirable to maximise your damage..

2. Ribcracker is a good weapon--an upgraded ribcracker would be a great weapon. A shael allows an upgraded ribcracker to reach the last WW breakpoint, but the jewel would fall short. So if you're interested in using the ribcracker for a WW Barb (which is something I plan to do at some point), that's another reason to shael it and use the jewel somewhere else.

3. I probably wouldn't put it in a body armor--it's not entirely inconceivable that you might one day find the runes for Fortitude or Chains of Honor, which put all of the unique armors to shame.

So, if it was me, I'd probably be putting it in a helm... the hard part would be picking out a helm (Guillame's? Vamp gaze? Tal Rasha's? So hard to choose :crazyeyes: ) that you would be happy to use for most of your physical damage builds.

Well, it does matter, since ED socketed in the weapon will be weapon ias boosting the base weapon damage, while in any other slot its off-weapon ias, which will add up with the rest of your skill ed and other off weapon ed sources. For this reason its probably of most use in a weapon (except for certain builds that don't have a lot of skill-ed, like bowazons).

Imo, Guilame is offensive enough without it, I'd put that in Arreat if you're gonna build some barb, if not, I'd keep it for better option than these stated. You'll need it in some end-game gear. :)

I've got a 39/15 and a 40/15 sitting in a stash. I'd really like to make a really top-end Tomb Reaver (I have tons, none quite good enough with both high ED and 3 sockets). Not totally sure yet, just waiting patiently until it hits me. I'd certainly wait a while...

A high end Tomb reaver seems one of the best option, many builds can use it (along with Mercs).
Arreat is good, but remember that WWer wan't benefit the ias part, so it's ideal if you use Frenzier/Zerkers/conc. builds. A barb merc can benefit of that helm too.
Jalal will only benefit melee druids.
up'ed Ribby/eth Hone Sudan wan't hit latest bp for WW (both nee only shael).
In any case you should socket it into a very high end item for which you don't plan to have substitution.

Weapons: good option, the Ed will benefit more a weapon than an armour, but you need end game unique weapons: said of Tomby, maybe a high end Shaefer or Stormlash can be good options (if you need the ias to reach the latest bp);
other high end weapon to consider are Azurwrath/Death cleaver, but imo I would not socket that jewel in these (Azurwrath it's a specific use weapon and Death cleaver<Oath).

Helms: there are a lot of good helms but none have everything, so you will be switching them to fit with the rest of the equipment, apart from the previous class specific helm wich are the best (only?) option for Barb/Druids (melee).

Armours: too many nice runewords to even think to use it in an armour.

Shields: maybe HoZ (all pally can use it and almost all pally needs ED/ias).

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else. If you really want to use it now, go for the Guillame's Face, but you should probably hold out for something better. Tomb Reaver and ribcracker (as long as you don't care about WW) are pretty sexy options. I think I'd wait for a particularly nice one of those. The other real option I could see is Arreat's if you like barbs. (Remember, Act V mercs can use it too.)

Jalal will only benefit melee druids.

You really don't want to stick it in a Jalal's, since off-weapon IAS doesn't matter in wereform.

Just wanted to show you my 2 choices:

Code:
Schaefer's Hammer
Legendary Mallet
One-Hand Damage: 128 to 326
Required Strength: 189
Required Level: 79
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0xcd6d252
+50 to Life
+156% Enhanced Damage
Lightning Resist +75%
Adds 50-200 lightning damage
+1 to Light Radius
35% Increased Attack Speed
150% Damage to Undead
Indestructible
20% Chance to cast Level 10 Static Field on striking
+170 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+680 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x87ade824
+35% Enhanced Damage

Ribcracker
Stalagmite
Two-Hand Damage: 354 to 528
Durability: 130 of 130
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 63
Staff Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x356f26e6
+15 to Dexterity
+100% Enhanced Defense
+333% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Minimum Damage
+65 to Maximum Damage
+100 Defense
+100 Maximum Durability
Required Level +7
65% Increased Attack Speed
50% Faster Hit Recovery
150% Damage to Undead
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Ruby Jewel of Fervor
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x72a2eed1
+33% Enhanced Damage

And now I have one more of those jewels, 32ed/15ias, so I'll be looking this thread for ideas too :) But I just wanted to show you, what kind of weapons you'd have, if you choose Ribby or Schaefer's.

Alright guys, thanks for your in-depth answers and suggestions. I guess I'll wait for a high-end Tomb Reaver! :thumbup:

I would save it for something truly special. Helms make the best sense, because there aren't really any game-breaking runeword helms that can compete with uniques/sets.

You need to figure out which physical damage build you prefer over all others and figure out the PERFECT gear combination for that build. Make sure you do your due diligence while planning! It may be that you don't need any ias jewels on that char. This is not an item that you'll want to waste!!!

As omgwtfbbq said, the most ridiculously awesome option would, imo, be to use it in a godly rare, probably a weapon or melee circlet type helm. Good luck with that =P.

Though you stated that you don'r really dig the ranged combat, I'll offer my plans for what to do if I ever find such jewel.

It'd go directly into maximizing the punch a bowazon could pack, be it in a sweet helm or the windforce itself.

From your point of view I'll echo the other posters and say save it. I don't really think your options listed in #1 is worth a rjof, if you are patient enough to wait for a top notch tomby. Only problem I would have in that scenario would be that it's be a shame to accompany the jewel with 2 shaels in a tomby, so I'd have to wait for 2 more RjoF's :rolleyes:

What's anyones opinion in using one of those jewels in a merc weapon? Say, a high end eth Reapers? I, being a fan of casters, rarely have the need for a leet jewel like that, my merc has way more opportunity to do physical damage than I do. Wasteful?

Corrupted used a 40/15 on a perfect eth Reaper's. I wouldn't do it, but I can't really think of a good place for a ruby of fervor's either. I'd rather find a fake ruby (fire res) of fervor, if it weren't for trade value. There are surprisingly few uses for l33t jewels these days with so many runewords.

Windforce? I know damage comes more from +max, but it's still a welcome boost. (edit: didn't realize zarfen had already mentioned it)

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High