My gripe time . . .

TDurden

Aug 28, 2009
My gripe time . . .

Greetings - I love playing Diablo 2LOD, but there are some things that drive me nuts.

First, I busted my behind for days saving up runes and looking for the right weapon to place them in and finally found the Plague Scalpel Giant Sword to put a Tir and and El to make the Steel rune word. Well, guess what. Doesn't work. So I will add that to the exceptions listed for that particular rune word.

Also, I've had over 300MF for days, and I've found duplicates for many sets, even triplicates. I've found duplicates for many, many Unique items. I've found Unique's and great Exceptional items for dozens of swords, claws, staves, maces, etc., but one . . . ya, that's right, one Unique for an axe which I picked for my Whirlwind Barb, and that was about a week ago, when I was at about level 20. Now I'm at level 57 and I haven't seen a Unique axe OR an exceptional axe in days . . . no wonder axes are not popular as a main weapon.

All these different weapon types are interesting but make it a long wait to find one that fits your character.

Finally, trying to craft a WW Barb, I'm finding out something that is not in the guide to making one. Namely, that WW is pretty much a loser of an attack until its worked up to at least 13 or 14. Also, it is absolutely essential that ya have moderate to high, and better yet very high mana leech. Unfortunately, those items that provide mana leech per hit (which is what ya have to have . . . not per kill as it just isn't enough leeching to fill the mana bulb after it is emptied by the huge mana costs of a WW attack) are extremely rare. Now, I am very fortunate that I have found a giant axe that has 6% mana leech per hit, but that is barely enough.

I'm going on faith right now that as I increase in level and through Hell, into Nightmare these items I need and want will appear.

In the mean time I am poring my skill points into WW which is still mostly ineffective at this point, which leaves me with little else but poor skills to kill of those demons that get harder and harder to kill each level I increase.

I've done killed the Countess over and over again to get runes and my storage is almost full of them. But with the accuracy of the rune word list know thrown in doubt . . . well?

Finally, weapons with sockets have suddenly disappeared from the scene when they are dropped. I've tried eliminating all MF to get the socketed weapons dropped but it isn't happening. So I've got fifty runes and no sockets to place them it. So I guess that means going to the cube to try and craft sockets in items . . . here's wishing myself good luck on that one . . . will it work as advertised?

Well, I'll keep at it . . . but if this fails I'm going to make a Frenzy Barb with Flails which is the weapon I usually use.

Anyone have any encouragement?

Regards, TDurden1937

Re: My gripe time . . .

Greetings - I love playing Diablo 2LOD, but there are some things that drive me nuts.

First, I busted my behind for days saving up runes and looking for the right weapon to place them in and finally found the Plague Scalpel Giant Sword to put a Tir and and El to make the Steel rune word. Well, guess what. Doesn't work. So I will add that to the exceptions listed for that particular rune word.

Also, I've had over 300MF for days, and I've found duplicates for many sets, even triplicates. I've found duplicates for many, many Unique items. I've found Unique's and great Exceptional items for dozens of swords, claws, staves, maces, etc., but one . . . ya, that's right, one Unique for an axe which I picked for my Whirlwind Barb, and that was about a week ago, when I was at about level 20. Now I'm at level 57 and I haven't seen a Unique axe OR an exceptional axe in days . . . no wonder axes are not popular as a main weapon.

All these different weapon types are interesting but make it a long wait to find one that fits your character.

Finally, trying to craft a WW Barb, I'm finding out something that is not in the guide to making one. Namely, that WW is pretty much a loser of an attack until its worked up to at least 13 or 14. Also, it is absolutely essential that ya have moderate to high, and better yet very high mana leech. Unfortunately, those items that provide mana leech per hit (which is what ya have to have . . . not per kill as it just isn't enough leeching to fill the mana bulb after it is emptied by the huge mana costs of a WW attack) are extremely rare. Now, I am very fortunate that I have found a giant axe that has 6% mana leech per hit, but that is barely enough.

I'm going on faith right now that as I increase in level and through Hell, into Nightmare these items I need and want will appear.

In the mean time I am poring my skill points into WW which is still mostly ineffective at this point, which leaves me with little else but poor skills to kill of those demons that get harder and harder to kill each level I increase.

I've done killed the Countess over and over again to get runes and my storage is almost full of them. But with the accuracy of the rune word list know thrown in doubt . . . well?

Finally, weapons with sockets have suddenly disappeared from the scene when they are dropped. I've tried eliminating all MF to get the socketed weapons dropped but it isn't happening. So I've got fifty runes and no sockets to place them it. So I guess that means going to the cube to try and craft sockets in items . . . here's wishing myself good luck on that one . . . will it work as advertised?

Well, I'll keep at it . . . but if this fails I'm going to make a Frenzy Barb with Flails which is the weapon I usually use.

Anyone have any encouragement?

Regards, TDurden1937

Well first of all "Plague Scalpel Giant Sword" sounds like a rare item (yellow), runewords will only work in gray items (socketed) also you need to check that it is the right item type and has the correct number of sockets. Some runewords are ladder only if you play on bnet, so thats another thing to look out for.

As for getting what you need, cubing up runes and gems are a good way of acquiring wealth and can be traded for items on bnet or on the Single player forum here.

Patience is the key mate. If you are on Bnet, trading with other players is a good way also.

I have had many runs whereby I didnt get anything of value as well - just live with it and you will never know when will the RNG gods shine on you :)

Thanks Trekmaster - I guess . . . well, there is no guessing about it. I blew the rune words only in a normal type item. Crap.

I've never traded items on bnet or the Single player forum, but that sounds like a good alternative to just tossing my perfect gems and sculls which usually ends up maxing out my bank. Then I just go and gamble it away . . . lol. I don't gamble in real life, but with 60,000 gold coins laying on the ground I'd rather gamble it for the slight chance of getting something back . . . in D2DOL, eh.

Thanks for your suggestions. I do really appreciate it.

Regards, TD

Patience is the key mate. If you are on Bnet, trading with other players is a good way also.

I have had many runs whereby I didnt get anything of value as well - just live with it and you will never know when will the RNG gods shine on you :)

Thanks sunkenfaith - That's what I needed to hear. When I see all those Uniques and Exceptional items go past me and I just sell, I usually am just encouraged to keep at it until that high level Unique axe or leeching ring I need appears . . . I'll repeat some matra's and do some deep breathing and hit the arches leading into Lower Kurast. The monster's there usually drop some decent stuff

Thanks again.

Regard, TDurden1937

Thanks sunkenfaith - That's what I needed to hear. When I see all those Uniques and Exceptional items go past me and I just sell, I usually am just encouraged to keep at it until that high level Unique axe or leeching ring I need appears . . . I'll repeat some matra's and do some deep breathing and hit the arches leading into Lower Kurast. The monster's there usually drop some decent stuff

Thanks again.

Regard, TDurden1937

Pleasure's all mine, mate. I have had the same frustration as you before. When I MF for many times in quick succession and do not yield anything of value; I usually take a break before going at it again.

I always believe that the more you try to look for something, the more you wont find it. It appears only when you least expect it (Applicable to Real life too, going by my past experiences.)

Cheers!

Pleasure's all mine, mate. I have had the same frustration as you before. When I MF for many times in quick succession and do not yield anything of value; I usually take a break before going at it again.

I always believe that the more you try to look for something, the more you wont find it. It appears only when you least expect it (Applicable to Real life too, going by my past experiences.)

Cheers!

Sage advice and observations . . .

BTW, how does one become a "DIII.Net Site Pal." I ask only because I want to support the DIII.Net site . . . so if its a donation, or something . .. I'm up for it. I'm not into titles necessarily, but I'm just curious as to how I might in my modest way contribute to this huge and complex repository of information so everyone can benefit.

Regards, TD

PS How's the weather in Singapore?

BTW, how does one become a "DIII.Net Site Pal." I ask only because I want to support the DIII.Net site . . . so if its a donation, or something . .. I'm up for it. I'm not into titles necessarily, but I'm just curious as to how I might in my modest way contribute to this huge and complex repository of information so everyone can benefit.

'tis indeed a donation (which I consider a nice way to show my appreciation to the site and the forums). You can find the link on the left navbar or click here.

As for the original issue, take it easy, trade some pgems and runes for those starting items and make sure you don't get hung up on mfing a specific items - like sunkenfaith said, it's the quick path to frustration town...just play to enjoy the game and you're bound to find some nice loot somewhere along the way if you keep your eyes open ;).

While I appreciate the beauty of self-finding your items, it can be pretty hard to start out without trading for some base gear.

Have you found any manald heal rings? They give 4-7% mana steal. You can also try and put a p-skull on your weapon if you like to have lots of mana leech.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High