question about meteororb sorc

Dronte

Aug 12, 2009
question about meteororb sorc

I've started my first meteororb mf sorc 2 days ago, he is already lvl 28 @ act 5. Currently using Cathan's full set (got it on my higher lvl pala before and muled).
The question is, what equip should I aim for in nightmare? Cathan's is a low lvl set and it wont do well I'm pretty sure about it.

After reading a few guides I still cant decide whether I should aim for high resistances, high MF or + skills for sorc? I dont find resistances so important on a sorc, but I'm still new to it so not quite sure.

And 1 more question, where should I farm xp? Wanna lvl up fast so rushed through most of normal mode, imo its not hard to survive in NM act 1 or 2.

edit: 1 more, holy freeze or defiance merc? :p

Last edited:
Re: question about meteororb sorc

I'd personally go with holy freeze. For farming xp, normal baal would be a good place (for twinked characters, I had some run Baal to 50ish on normal Baal), and the moo2 farm is pretty good as well. If you can't run them quickly yet, running shenk+eldritch at p8 is also a good way to get to the late 30s.
For gear, I'd say that for NM it is not very critical. Just aim for enough resistances to allow you to survive reasonably well, and get +skills/FCR/+mana (some MF won't hurt) for the rest of your gear.

For power-leveling, I usually run Normal Eldritch from 25 to 30 (P8) and then do Baal runs to lvl 42 (P8).

Once you hit level 29/30, throw on things with +skills like Skin of the Vipermagi, Peasant Crown/Tarnhelm, SoJ if you have one, an orb with +skills and maybe a rare ammy with +skills as well. If you're building a Meteorb and plan on going with a strong FO, I'd build up Frozen Orb first as it combined with a little bit of Cold Mastery and some +skills is strong enough to run NM Baals at P8.

Once you're at 42, if you have the gear, you can equip things like Occulus, and any skillers you happen to have. With sorcs, I usually enter NM at 42 and speed-teleport past everything (P1) to NM Baal and start doing P8 NM-Baal runs. (Just zipping through NM on P1 and only killing the required things will usually put me in Act 5 at lvl 44/45. One P8 NM Baal run + NM Ancients will put you at 52 is so the XP is really good. You can stay there for an hour or so and get to the mid-70's. At that point, you can go back and farm NM-Meph for a while or progress to Hell Meph and start farming him in earnest. (Make sure you've got decent resists if you do this and FCR helps a lot)

Good luck.

Edit: This by the way is the method I use when I "run" to the Hell HF which I can do pretty consistently from character start to HF collection in about 4 hours.

edit: 1 more, holy freeze or defiance merc? :p

Prayer merc rocks the boat :)

Once he has the aura turned on and a insight equipped, you can empty your belt and put in something useful like scrolls of town portal or antidote potions. But you wont need mana/health potions any more.

For high-end gear, I generally prefer 1+ point in Cold Mastery and Frozen Orb. Fire spells just get insane damage at higher levels, and Forb is still adequate, plus, you will have points to spend in Forb/CM at level 84-85, IIRC.

Mmm... 23k meteor... 12k fireball...

Thx a lot for the tips, I'm already in NM act 1 and its soo easy still.

I'll try out prayer merc ^^

ps. teleport best skill in game xD

Meteorbers shine with full tals set, so you might want to try it out. And holy freeze merc is just awesome

Meteorbers shine with full tals set, so you might want to try it out.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

NO.

Don't touch any parts but Armor/Belt/Amulet. Seriously, I've tried it, and Tal's is freaking HORRIBLE compared to say, Vipermagi/Oculus/Arach/Harley. Amulet is the only part worth using, and even then crafted/rares are superior.

Of course, if you for some bizarre reason has the entire Tal's set but not the standard Sorc stuff, it's a solid alternative.

Tubba, I'm not sure what you're talking about: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151250

However, I'm guessing that someone using Cathans for normal and unsure what gear to use in NM probably doesn't have Tals as an option anyways.

+FCR
+skills
resists
MF

(in - roughly - that order) are what you want.

I used Cathan because of its low lvl req and good starter bonuses (FCR, MF, nice resists).

I've already got Tal's headpiece but alone its kinda useless (life+mana steal :s).

I decided not to take holy freeze because its kinda inferior to frozen orb, which I tend to use a lot obviously.

Tubba, I'm not sure what you're talking about: http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151250

However, I'm guessing that someone using Cathans for normal and unsure what gear to use in NM probably doesn't have Tals as an option anyways.

+FCR
+skills
resists
MF

(in - roughly - that order) are what you want.
Honestly, after trying it, I'm not really a fan of 3-part either. Ist'd Occy + Skullder's + Harlequin + 1-2 nagelrings gives plenty of MF, so I usually go with Arachnid's + Spirit + War Travelers + Chance Guards/Magefists, with Mara's amulet for resists.

I find +1 skills/20 FCR on Arachnid VERY hard to beat.

While we're on the topic, Ormus' Robes w/ Fireball vs. Skin of the Vipermagi for non-MF:ing?

Reading through a bit more of that topic... Hmmmmmmm. I'll have to think about that. I guess I'll do some field testing too.

Last edited:

I'll second Full Tal's. There is no better setup for a dual-tree sorc and it's not too bad for the single-tree ones either until you can find the high-end gear to really specialize in the single tree.

People really need to try to understand what exactly -% to enemy resistance does :)

To be fair, I mainly ran Andariel back when I used the set, and it's virtually useless against her.

How is it useless against her? With a Meteorb Andariel is not much of a problem with any kind of gear.

To be fair, I mainly ran Andariel back when I used the set, and it's virtually useless against her.

I'll give you that. Going from -50% Fire resistance to -65% you probably won't notice too much difference but it's still a 10% increase in damage against her. (assuming you have no other source of -% to enemy fire resistance.)

@stephan - I think he's probably referring to the -15% to enemy fire resistance on Tal's orb against Andy.

Well, i'm not sorc expert, but i'm still rather using Tals partials (Ammy, armor, belt) even on my pure blizzsorc then Maras + Skullders + Arach...I tried both and Tals partials fits my play (HC) much better...As for dual tree sorc, very important mode is (-) fire res on orb, like was mentioned before...So full Tals for the win...

I'll give you that. Going from -50% Fire resistance to -65% you probably won't notice too much difference but it's still a 10% increase in damage against her. (assuming you have no other source of -% to enemy fire resistance.)

@stephan - I think he's probably referring to the -15% to enemy fire resistance on Tal's orb against Andy.
Yeah. You're not going to note a difference against her.

On Mephisto, though... Hmmm, maybe. It'll make a good substitute for my Lower Resist wand in that case.

He used the word 'horrible' in a previous post. It's not horrible, it's not useless. He was simply not making any sense.

Currently I'm at lvl 42 and realized that Leaf runeword is easy to get (got tons of those runes). Where should I get a 2socket staff? What I've observed that chests got a pretty good rate to drop socketed items.

Currently I'm at lvl 42 and realized that Leaf runeword is easy to get (got tons of those runes). Where should I get a 2socket staff? What I've observed that chests got a pretty good rate to drop socketed items.

You can shop a 2 socket staff at Drognan in A2 Normal. With enough persistence, you can even get one with decent staff mods.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High