Poor Meteorb Sorc Help!

jatyap

Aug 18, 2009
Poor Meteorb Sorc Help!

Hello everyone!

I'm new here so please be kind.

I was wondering if my current Meteorb Sorc can still be saved. I was following one of the guides but made a mistake by putting too much in Cold Mastery.

For starters, I'm relatively poor, and currently only play SP due to slow Internet connection. I'm thinking of joining the next ladder reset (1.13 patch) but as of now would like to enjoy my game. Therefore, I don't have access to trading for runewords (I don't use RRM or RWM) and am limited simply by what I can find doing MF...

Do I need to start a new character? Or can I still continue with this?

She is currently Level 80 and on Act 3 Hell

Current Skill Points (Naked):
Cold Tree:
Frozen Orb - 20
Cold Mastery - 20 (This is where I made a mistake - should have been 8)
Shiver Armor - 1
1 point in each prereq

Lightning Tree:
Static Field - 1
Telekinesis - 1
Teleport - 1

Fire Tree:
Warmth - 1
Fireball - 15
Meteor - 14
Fire Mastery - 5

Gear:
Helm - Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
Amulet - Tal Rasha's Adjudication
Rings - Manald Heal and a Crafted Caster Ring with +89 mana and +4% mana regen - also have a +13% resist all ring for backup in inventory
Shield - The Ward (Currently looking for something better... a Lidless Wall maybe... since I can't make Spirit) also saving up the runes for a Sanctuary probably.
Weapon - The Oculus
Armor - Perfect 13/35 Upgraded Skin of the Vipermagi (809 def)
Gloves - Magefist
Boots - Tearhaunch (I used to use Rite of Passage but switched to this for the added +10 resists)
Inventory - Just a couple of +5 resist charms and a few other +resist small charms to reach 75 resist with the +13% resist ring, somewhere in the 60s with the caster ring.

Merc: Act 2 Nightmare Defensive Merc (Holy Freeze)
Helm - Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
Armor - Shaftstop (not upped)
Weapon - Spire of Honor

As the levels are now coming so slow, I wonder if this could still be viable in Hell (My fireball kills so slow...) or should I start another Sorceress?

Another problem I have with this build is dealing with dual Cold/Fire immunes. Seems my merc doesn't seem to have the firepower to finish most of them so I sometimes need to just ignore them and tele to my target instead.

I primarily want a Meteorb due to it's versatility in doing MF runs but if I run Hell too slow, I just might opt to restart.

Can you guys tell me what to do? I can accept having to restart but if this is still a viable build, I'd like to get the most out of it rather than having to play through Normal and Nightmare for the perfect build. I can use this for MF and get some gear for a new char. And I don't play online so I can't get myself grushed.

Please help!

Update: I just found a Stone of Jordan so I'm currently using that along with the Manald Heal.

Last edited:
Re: Poor Meteorb Sorc Help!

20 in CM is indeed a bit too much, but I think your build is still highly usable. Fire damage certainly suffers a lot, but with the +skills you have, it would still be capable of running P1 hell meph/pindle at decent speed (do try to roll a good meph map with only 3-5 teles to durance 3 though - SP static map ftw!). Without trading, it certainly will be hard to get her damage to high levels with skillers, but she is certainly usable.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Currently, I need to allocate each skill level as I get it... would you suggest FB, Meteor? or FM?

finish maxing fireball first, then meteor, then mastery.

unless you don't mind starting over....

+1 one to that. Fireball, then meteor, then mastery. Well, it does depend on what you want to do with her though. Fireball is more useful for finishing the game and general use, but meteor can kill meph more efficiently via moat trick, so if you're planning to stay on meph for a long time, meteor first can be good as well.

finish maxing fireball first, then meteor, then mastery.

unless you don't mind starting over....

Thanks a lot for your replies!

Actually since I had built her as an MF runner, I really don't mind starting over... Although playing with her certainly does make me want to level her up, if it's still feasible.

I also have a PVM Hammerdin at level 75 just waiting for some godly items... but without Enigma, and with the chances of a Jah or Ber dropping in SP, just don't think he's viable as an MF char.

As far as a Meteorb though, if it can't kill fast enough, I can probably build another one up to level 80 within a week or so and use that instead.

Optimal? no...viable? yes

It just means you'll have to cast a few more FBs to take down Andy than you otherwise might.

Optimal? no...viable? yes

It just means you'll have to cast a few more FBs to take down Andy than you otherwise might.

Thanks for your reply!

Is this going to have more than a few seconds' difference in doing MF runs?

If it doubles the time or triples it, I will certainly have to build another one - paying attention to the optimal skill distribution this time...

It's probably not gonna be as bad as a double or triple. From my experience, what makes the biggest difference is the amount of +skills from skillers. Other than that, I didn't felt that much of a difference in kill speed from level 72 up to 84ish. Sure, it's faster, but the real jump to kill speed wasn't really felt until I got my hands on some skillers. For serious MF-ing though, I'd really suggest a blizzard sorc once you have gotten some more gear from the meteorber's MF runs. It can do both meph (for common uniques) and AT (alvl 85 for all possible drops) much faster than a meteorb.

It's probably not gonna be as bad as a double or triple. From my experience, what makes the biggest difference is the amount of +skills from skillers. Other than that, I didn't felt that much of a difference in kill speed from level 72 up to 84ish. Sure, it's faster, but the real jump to kill speed wasn't really felt until I got my hands on some skillers. For serious MF-ing though, I'd really suggest a blizzard sorc once you have gotten some more gear from the meteorber's MF runs. It can do both meph (for common uniques) and AT (alvl 85 for all possible drops) much faster than a meteorb.

Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup:
I might try that out... :D Got a spare Occulus while MFing... :D The SOJs and the Shako are a pain to get though... Haven't found one Shako yet.

I'm looking for a bit of versatility at the moment though, since I sometimes hit different places at a time. And playing only SP, it's sometimes a pain to play a single character all the way through hell, much less one to which 40% of the monsters are immune... :confused:

The biggest time sink on Andy/Meph/Countress/Summoner is teleporting. Even if the low damage takes you a few more seconds to kill the boss, it hardly matters.

As for a Blizz sorc, I love the fact that meteorbs can do Diablo and Baal.

Big thanks to all of you who helped out...

You'll be glad to know that your aid has finally brought some fruit... :D

She's a Matriarch Now! :D Finished Hell last night.

At level 87 I had
Fireball - 20
Meteor - 18
Fire Mastery - 5

to continue the thread I started.

The Ancients were a pain though... had to keep coming back when more than 1 cold immune and extra strong ancient spawned.

I'm using her for some Magic runs now... Managed to find an Arioc's needle, a Buriza and an Ondal's Wisdom on first night... :D

She also found a Raven Frost a while back, but I use it only once in a while... opting instead for a ring which gave me +100 something mana.

Poor Meteorb Sorc Help

Running an Inferno/Orb MF sorc, setup as so:

Occy w/ Ist
Full Tals, Helm and Armor PTopazd
Spirit/Sanctuary Trolls Nest
War Travs
Chancies
Gheeds

Want to bump my Merc for MFing as well, any suggestions as to the equip setup to help with the MFing? Im currently at about 350MF, and still almost hell viable, but would like to bump the merc. Would like to find a good balance between MF and Survivabilty. Any thoughts?

You mean getting some MF on the merc? Stealskull would be a good choice I think, giving life leech and a huge 50% to MF (on max roll, that is..).

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High