ow + cb frosterdin in hell?

Krupa

Mar 5, 2008
ow + cb frosterdin in hell?

i´m playin on hccl with my frostadin and gonna hit hell pretty soon.
since there are some cold immunes i was thinking about how i can kill and not just ignore them.
my only experience with holy frost is from LoD act 2 merc, which is pretty much useless here...

i don´t have any fancy gear so i was thinking bout some cheap items:

gnasher
goblin toe
death combo
steelclash

24 fhr with some res armor or twitch
10 fhr with some res helmet
maybe angelic combo & ar + res ring or ar + res rings & res amu

that would give 50 ow and 45 cb. will the dmg from ow and cb combined with the slow effect from the aura be enough to kill? speed is not important as long as it doesn´t take me half an hour per cold immune

thx in advance

greetz

Re: ow + cb frosterdin in hell?

I really, really like your gear selection. It makes your character safe. I have seen few frostadins and they sued swordback hold = no resists.
As for your question, Im not sure, I had few tesladins, but I never brought them to hell. The OW definitely works, a level 12 can even kill a level 90 with it, not sure how long will it take, I think you will be able to kill (but I have never tested it).

Funny thing about Open Wounds is that it can work on physical immunes, but you will need some (1 point or more) elemental damage(of the type the monster is not immune to) to trigger it. And remember that you are in Hell, so things likely have high resists. 1 point of fire damage may not be enough, 3 or more is better. Not sure if poison also works to trigger it, as I haven't tested with that. Then again, you have holy fire with some +skills, so that should be alright.
CB will not work on PI's.

But CB is the thing which kills monsters a lot faster in Hell, so you may wish to grab some more chance to trigger CB when you're heading into an area with a lot of cold immunes.
Otherwise you will be busy a long time.
Also, you may get tired of the durability of your Gnasher, be sure to bring some spare ones.
Armorwise, you may also consider Boneflesh or rattlecage.
If you use Boneflesh, you could take crushflange for it's CB, fire resist, durability and knockback. The knockback, though anoying at some points, may help save you some hitpoints. It's best to keep moving(keep knocking the same monster back) when a group of monsters is trying to surround you.

thx for info ppl :)

i guess my main attack for bosses will be smite, cuz i´m having big trouble in nm already with my chance to hit.
good to know bout the ele dmg triggering the ow, but i can´t remember many cold/phys immunes. if my calculations are right, i´ll have 1k cold dmg added to each hit, which should be able to kill most enemies, but i´ll keep some equip with ele dmg ready once i reached hell.

so in general it seems, u both think this might work...i guess i have to push my mf soso a lil bit first to get her to run dia many times to get the equip :)

bout other armor choice: i´m afraid of not having enough fhr for a melee char and fire + light res if i exchange the fhr res armor for one of the others, but that will also depend on my ar, if i push dex further or have enough by pumping zeal to a higher lvl. twitch would also free me of recasting holy shield, which i obnoxious on low slvl imo. also i´ld hit another ias and fhr (the same as with an fhr res arm) bp, which makes it, as for so many other builds, a very intresting choice,

@Warlock - is the holy freeze considered elemental damage that triggers open wounds?
Or does such a palladin need some "other" source of elemental damage? (in fact only a weapon and amulet come to my mind). I hope that holy freeze = elemental damage = open wounds transfer. This would be really helpful vs the ghosts in arcane sanctuary. If it is NOT, then this might be a problem, because Krupa will have to resign from using gnasher, or get an amulet with cold dmg*

I know that smite does not transfer elemental damage, thus it wont trigger open wounds (well, there are no physical immune bosses; dont remember De Seis spawning phys immune at least).

*btw. doesnt cold damage from amulets (e.g. 1-5 cold damage), but the +3000 damage from aura?

Only the holy freeze damage transferred trough the weapon would be able to trigger open wounds. But with the cold damage he's doing, anything not cold immune will not stand for long.
If the monster is PI and cold immune, OW will not trigger because of cold damage from holy freeze trough his weapon.

as for now i´m using tankreds amu and helmet for the mf + resis. there is a set bonus of 15 light dmg. for now i´m hpoing this will be enough to trigger ow on those P/C immunes

smite does trigger ow, except on those P/C immunes again

next round with my pala starts now :)

I tested with my iceblink( Iceblink being the only way to get some elemental damage across using smite in classic) smiter and I could not trigger OW on a spectre in Hell.
So Iceblink does not cause elemental damage over smite, it can only freeze or cold slow.

While I was at it, I also tested if OW could be triggered by damage returned, as I sometimes had the feeling happened, this is not possible.
Those goats in the acrane kept taking damage from my swordback hold, but did not get open wounds.
So OW is fickle, but at least now we know when it does and when it does not trigger.

That 15 lightning damage should indeed be enough. Let us know your progress though. :)

What about switching to Holy Fire (briefly) for the PI/CI to trigger OW? You've already got the aura and my understanding is that if you can do a single point of fire damage, you'll be set there.

Don't forget the hidden ar% bonus from Blessed aim... If you have the points to spend

Don't forget the hidden ar% bonus from Blessed aim... If you have the points to spend

hidden bonus? never heard of that. how much is it? cuz i´ll have skills left and rather put stat points into vita than in dex...edit: just found out. 5% passive

in the pre-lod time i had no internet, so i only played sp. so most of those "basic" things in classic i don´t know of, as the hidden max res bonus with the paladin i readently read about...

thx for the testing warlock, ur effort is really apreciated :thumbup:

What about switching to Holy Fire (briefly) for the PI/CI to trigger OW? You've already got the aura and my understanding is that if you can do a single point of fire damage, you'll be set there.

i totally forgot bout that :)
tankreds is back on my mule btw and holy fire (lvl 2 9-21 fire dmg on attack) got its own hotkey

gonna start now with act 4 nm.
in act 3 i stumbled upon many cold immunes, civerbs cudgel killed them pretty fast, not as fast as my test with exhcanging boots for goblin and civerbs for bloodrise, but still at a decent speed.

btw if i manage to get a gnasher and i have to reapair as often as u say warlock, i´ll probably go without weapon and only use the gnasher for the immunes...also it looks cool ;) tried it often when i had to mule while perming the game in norm

edit: just punched some numbers in a calculator: a dual element paladin with the exact same setup should work aswell, but angelic combo would be essential on that one, since there wouldn´t be any skill points left for ar boost...too bad i already skilled HS and zeal.

it would be done on lvl 78

20 into holy shock, frost, res ice, res light
2 into zeal
1 into sanctuary, cleansing

the result would be: average 870 cold and 1.8k light dmg, depending which aura is active
in that calculation u´ld wear culwens's point (ar, fhr, skill) and steelclash (block, res, skill)

i guess that will be one of my next chars...

edit2: just killed dia. civerb's lost its use in act 4...from now on, i´ll test in hell

Last edited:

Since you have bloodrise and goblins, you won't need Gnasher.
Gnasher can't even outlive a single stone-skin demon monster, let alone hordes of them.

edit: just punched some numbers in a calculator: a dual element paladin with the exact same setup should work aswell, but angelic combo would be essential on that one, since there wouldn´t be any skill points left for ar boost...too bad i already skilled HS and zeal.

it would be done on lvl 78

20 into holy shock, frost, res ice, res light
2 into zeal
1 into sanctuary, cleansing

the result would be: average 870 cold and 1.8k light dmg, depending which aura is active
in that calculation u´ld wear culwens's point (ar, fhr, skill) and steelclash (block, res, skill)

i guess that will be one of my next chars...

edit2: just killed dia. civerb's lost its use in act 4...from now on, i´ll test in hell

Imo better option would be one elemental aura combined with physical dmg zealer. Bh or naga ofcourse. Phys dmg helps u leech life which is quite frankly needed in hell River runs. I do have pretty deacent cold dmg naga for trade in Eu softcore (45-135 tridura '78'), but u played hc IIRC so its really not an option i guess :scratchchin:

Imo better option would be one elemental aura combined with physical dmg zealer. Bh or naga ofcourse. Phys dmg helps u leech life which is quite frankly needed in hell River runs. I do have pretty deacent cold dmg naga for trade in Eu softcore (45-135 tridura '78'), but u played hc IIRC so its really not an option i guess :scratchchin:

yes, i´m playin hc :)

the main reason why i´m not going for phys dmg as second form of dmg is because its very expensive to get ur hands on one of those weapons with enough dmg for hell. so this idea was more a poor guy's way to get a melee char viable in hell

yes, i´m playin hc :)

the main reason why i´m not going for phys dmg as second form of dmg is because its very expensive to get ur hands on one of those weapons with enough dmg for hell. so this idea was more a poor guy's way to get a melee char viable in hell

Ah well, its going to be viable on dmg part, but imo the lack of leech on a zealer in hell will be the death of you :)

Ah well, its going to be viable on dmg part, but imo the lack of leech on a zealer in hell will be the death of you :)

almost been there and it was only q1 a1 :whistling:

i´m rushing my orb/fb/nova soso through nm atm to run dia a few times to get at least some decent items...

edit: damn it :D she died due to my stupidity...i forgot cold or fire dmg is added to lightning bolts...instant death while tanking and casting one orb...

so i started playin again with my frostadin. the first quest boss was C/P-immune. took me half an hour till i found the best way to kill it. kill/get rid of the minions, get enough mana pots, smite him to the wall with HF then switch to holy fire till it bleeds out. also there are a LOT of plain cold immunes. normal ones die quite fast, the mobs are the problem. encountered one cold + lightning enchanted with conviction, plain horror after loosing my sorc and havin -25 cr, but thawing poitons solved the problem. i managed to free cain now

i can not recommend this build for hell, but i wanna see how far i can go

Last edited:

ThisIsMalaga is still alive and also gotten quicker :)
a little practice was all i needed to speed killing up. he killed duriel and every single mob i encountered yet in hell. today i´ll start with a3.

everything not cold immune dies very very quickly except some rather special mobs. holy frost and cursed is a combination on archers and mages that i really don't like. also i met a tri-enchanted extra fast mob. so it turns out, i use smite for most the time...also salvation is the second most used aura. i´m drinking pots like htey were water, but the build is very viable. against my own believes, atm i think he might be able to solo hell...

just died in hell cs :weep: so close :banghead:

and it was not even a mob or something...just a normal one
but i guess the build is hell viable if u have patience.
in a3 i found a decent gothic bow (12x ed no ias tho) i guess i´ll try a multizon next

:tombstone: Malaga

just died in hell cs :weep: so close :banghead:

and it was not even a mob or something...just a normal one
but i guess the build is hell viable if u have patience.
in a3 i found a decent gothic bow (12x ed no ias tho) i guess i´ll try a multizon next

:tombstone: Malaga

-RIP-

Multi lacks power in classic and would need the ias badly to reach 10 frames (120 ed bow is not enough) for gothic.
Strafezon is more viable dmg wise and does not need ias on gothic to be effective, but also much more dangerous due the strafe lock..

Where you able to retrieve your gear ?
I don't play HC, but if I was playing with anything of value, I'd probably try to have a solid character in the game with loot on.

RIP

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High