Finding Tyrael's Might

NeciFiX

Jul 29, 2008
Finding Tyrael's Might

I've been on a witch hunt lately for some items I've never found in Diablo II lately. Before I started Ladder, this was a rough list:

Crown of Ages
Griffon's Eye
Tyrael's Might
Stormlash
Windforce
Doombringer
The Grandfather
Giant Skull
Death's Web
Steelrends
Shadow Dancers
Astreon's Iron Ward
Death's Fathom
Leviathan

I have dwindled this list down, though to:

Crown of Ages
Griffon's Eye
Tyrael's Might
Stormlash
The Grandfather
Windforce
Astreon's Iron Ward
Steelrends
Death's Fathom

I found Death's Web accidentally in a Chaos run on NL. Giant Skull while looking for a CoA [lol], Leviathan in my own little Baal run, Shadow Dancers from Baal, Doombringer from Pindle.

Anyway, after running the calculations through, I've decided to remake my MF Sorceress and then do glitched quest Baal in order to try and find my remaining list. I think it's possible. Shadow Dancers have the same drop rate as CoA/Griffs/Steelrends yet I found them tonight, and Fathom is only a bit less likely. The others I'm not too sure of.

However, I think the rarest item in the game may elude me forever: Tyrael's Might.

I plan to do Baal for quest [glitched] with 3-4 people in the public game with my new sorceress I plan on making. Quest Baal and 3-4 people reduces chance of no drop rate to 3.54%, and I have around 595% MF [with Merc, it'd be around 670% but he rarely kills]. This is a nice balance. 450-550 is optimal, but, I recently Ist'd my eth up'd Occy for style points and because with Baal, I think a little more MF might be good.

1:68549 is my chances, basically, from Hell Baal Quest with 3-4 people. Even if I do find a Unique Sacred Armor, it's gonna probably be Templars.

I have hope, though. I once found a Lacerator from one of those walking corpses in the Durance of Hate Lvl 2, a normal one, not champion, in a one person game. I ran the calculations on finding that Lacerator from that zombie and it was 1:800,000 or so, which is a LOT less likely than finding a Tyraels.

I am, however, basically asking the people out there where they found their Tyraels, if anyone has, or knows anyone who was. It's a pretty dumb armor, but, I just want to find one for the sake of saying I found one. How much MF did you have, and did it shock the crap out of you?

NeciFiX

Last edited:
Re: Finding Tyrael's Might

Good luck is all I can say. A lot of people who claim to have found it always mention the Ancient Tunnels.

I plan to do Baal for quest [glitched] with 3-4 people in the public game with my new sorceress I plan on making. Quest Baal and 3-4 people reduces chance of no drop rate to 3.54%, and I have around 595% MF [with Merc, it'd be around 670% but he rarely kills].
I am curious where you found the 3.54% value.
Quest Baal with 4 PARTED people in the WS Chamber has a no-drop chance exactly 1:23 with each drop checks. That is 4.34%.
However he tries to drop seven times, but the game prevents 7th drop because of maximum items cap possible from one monster if first six drop checks were positive.
So in reality the percentage of not having a full 6 item drop is quite small.
I have run a program which simulated this algorithm and on average he would drop 5.96 items per kill:
Code:
[code]PL  no-drop real  atma
P1  19/67   4.91  4.30
P2  4/52    5.89  5.54 
P3  1/49    5.99  5.88 
P4  0       6     6 
P1q 19/41   3.74  3.22
P2q 6/28    5.31  4.71
P3q 2/24    5.87  5.50
P4q 1/23    5.96  5.73
P5q 0       6     6

I have hope, though. I once found a Lacerator from one of those walking corpses in the Durance of Hate Lvl 2, a normal one, not champion, in a one person game. I ran the calculations on finding that Lacerator from that zombie and it was 1:800,000 or so, which is a LOT less likely than finding a Tyraels.
OK, and how many regular monster you can kill in 4 minutes needed for Baal run? I guess more than 100 with good build? Don't forget that you will only kill One Baal, 5 superuniques (but they drop only as champions) and bunch of their minions... Lacerator from regular monster is nothing comapred to the odds of Tyrael from Baal if you actually take time per kill into consideration.

In SP the most skilled MF players can clear Ancient Tunnels in about 50 seconds (which gives 10 seconds per bosspack) With around 500 MF, the odds are 1:400000 per bosspack.
EDIT: nice thing about lvl85 areas is that you have the same odds regardless of number of players in the game.

On Bnet though with the tempban restrictions, glitched Baal is probably your best bet. But I would really not do that in PUBLIC games. Worst thing can happen and your Tyraels will be grabbed by another player...

Last edited:

i think you should just muck around in the lvl85 areas and pray. doing glitched-baal and all that guff just isn't worth the hassles IMHO.

hell, i found a Fathom nailing Pindleskin while a mate ran the WSK. i had a "mighty" 7% MF on that sork at the time. i found my CoA from Lister in a pubby baal run ages ago.

if it's going to drop, it'll drop.

i think you should just muck around in the lvl85 areas and pray. doing glitched-baal and all that guff just isn't worth the hassles IMHO.

hell, i found a Fathom nailing Pindleskin while a mate ran the WSK. i had a "mighty" 7% MF on that sork at the time. i found my CoA from Lister in a pubby baal run ages ago.

if it's going to drop, it'll drop.

*Jealous* 2 of my favorite ultra rare items

Thousands of alvl85 MF runs and public Baal runs, never a useful TC84 or TC87 here

hmm author you mfing in ladder or non ladder. hmm guess you will never get a tyreal might if you mf in non-ladder.

~oh well, if you really want to know, i got a tyrael might from hell baal. solo. 2nd ladder season. 0% mf ~ pure luck =x

Yeah, but, the Zombie @ 1:850000 thing, I only killed ONE zombie, just like I'd kill one Baal. It was just a random stroke of luck.

Thanks. I'm going to quest glitch Baal though as soon as I can get a rush with my new sorc.

Just want you to know, that I actually found Tyraels last week (in AT with ~490MF blizzsorc). I wasn't the only one ;)

Also can I ask where did your MF odds came from? 1:68K with
595MF seems little bit off in comparison to Atma.

Just want you to know, that I actually found Tyraels last week (in AT with ~490MF blizzsorc). I wasn't the only one ;)

Also can I ask where did your MF odds came from? 1:68K with
595MF seems little bit off in comparison to Atma.

Another lucky one who found Tyraels in the Ancient Tunnels. Like I said, it seems the most likely place to spawn Tyrael for some reason.

Ancient Tunnels and Baal it is then for me.

I get my drop rates from the online Diablo 2 calculator [Google it].

Anyone else? I'd love to find this armor.

I seem to be able to do Ancient Tunnels/Pindle pretty quickly. I know Pindle can't drop Tyrael's, but, still, he can drop some nice stuff. I can do the entire Ancient Tunnels in 2-3 minutes. One minute to get there. Meaning about 4 minutes a game if I do Ancient Tunnel/Pindle. If I do like 20-25 Ancient Tunnel runs a day, it might only take an hour and a half or so, and any remainder time I can spend Baaling.

It's worth a try! All of the monsters I will be doing from now on can drop Tyraels [except Pindle], that seems like it'll increase the odds a fair amount! :)

Ancient Tunnels and Baal it is then for me.

I get my drop rates from the online Diablo 2 calculator [Google it].

Anyone else? I'd love to find this armor.

Keep in mind it can take you forever and you might eventually give up. I had 560MF light sorc and used to do exclusive Pit/AT runs (mostly AT) and never found a damn useful thing. Then my useless for MF barbs and smiters find stuff like facets, shakos, nossy, astreon, draculs, gores etc. in a couple of days. You can imagine my frustration.

In short, if theres better things you'd like to do before the reset, focus in them instead because theres a bigger chance you get struck by lightning on a sunny day.

OK, I took a look at that dropcalculator and I don't really understand the percent of nodrop, but it is counted bad. Even for non-quest Baal the percentage is off (it shows only 18% while it is 28% for single drop of course)
On top of it, this calculator calculates the total chance from 7 drops, while it is capped at 6 drops. (I used per drop odds in Atma for Baal with 8 players (so there is 0% chance of nodrop - in both calculators) and when dividing it with 7, I got precisly the number from that german calculator).

Hrus is being modest and not mentioning that he just found a Tyrael's Might in this summer's MF Olympics in single player, by the way...

Edit: indeed, I should have looked further up! It is incredible that both maareek and Hrus found Tyrael's during the MFO!

Last edited:

Actually, he did mention it. ;p

Found mine in AT, as well, with a 524 MF blizzsorc, from a Champion Embalmed (think it was an Embalmed, at least). According to ATMA, the odds of it dropping were 1:1006536.

Hrus did about 20k AT runs before his dropped, I did over 13k before mine dropped; there are other members who have done 15k+ runs without it falling. If you really want to have one fall for you, be prepared to spend an awful lot of time running. Also, just to make sure you know, Tyrael's is a qlvl 87 item, so no regular monster anywhere can drop it. Only champs/uniques/minions in alvl 85 areas, uniques/minions in alvl84 areas, Baal's minion waves (except the skeletons in wave 2) and Baal can drop it.

Yeah, but, the Zombie @ 1:850000 thing, I only killed ONE zombie, just like I'd kill one Baal. It was just a random stroke of luck.

Thanks. I'm going to quest glitch Baal though as soon as I can get a rush with my new sorc.

I don't think that it was the first zombie you have ever killed in D2.

The odds for your drop accumulate after every normal monster that you kill even though they aren't all exactly the same odds.

Even assuming that all you do is Baal runs you have killed normal monsters ~50 times more than Baal.

I've already done everything I want on ladder except find a few nice items.

What? I knew this drop calc I use isn't 100%, but, whatever. I've tried to download the ATMA Drop calc but it is not up for download anywhere I've ever looked for it.

Actually, he did mention it. ;p

Found mine in AT, as well, with a 524 MF blizzsorc, from a Champion Embalmed (think it was an Embalmed, at least). According to ATMA, the odds of it dropping were 1:1006536.

Hrus did about 20k AT runs before his dropped, I did over 13k before mine dropped; there are other members who have done 15k+ runs without it falling. If you really want to have one fall for you, be prepared to spend an awful lot of time running. Also, just to make sure you know, Tyrael's is a qlvl 87 item, so no regular monster anywhere can drop it. Only champs/uniques/minions in alvl 85 areas, uniques/minions in alvl84 areas, Baal's minion waves (except the skeletons in wave 2) and Baal can drop it.

Nihlathak! :p

I really don't think Nihlathak can drop it, but I may be wrong (honestly I forgot about him to begin with). ATMA says he can, but it lists the Nihlathak monster class, not the Nihlathak super unique, which I think has a cap on it's TC. I'd be very happy if somebody could clarify that.

If Nihlathak can drop it, and the stats in ATMA are correct for his chance to drop it (not sure if he'd get an advantage for being unique or if that's already counted into the formula...), then he has odds of 1:1174357 with 524 MF in a 1 player game, giving him a chance to drop it to key runners on the ladder, but not really worth targetting just for Tyrael's.

Nihlathak can indeed drop it. He has the "Act 5 (H) Equip B" directly in his row in Treasure Class system, this TC includes armo87 (with lower probability than "Act 5 (H) Equip C" - which is the TC alvl85 monsters drop from). And Nilly has also high enough lvl to drop it.

What is interesting is ratio of drop of armo87:
Act 5 (H) Equip B: 1:1566
Act 5 (H) Equip C: 8:1565 (+1530/1565*1/1566, because it also includes Act 5 (H) Equip B)
Imagine Baal would drop TC87 8 times more often!!!!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High