MF Concerns

ddkknoll1

Jul 11, 2008
MF Concerns

Recently I, just like my of us, made the switch from mp to sp. Going with what i knew best i made a hammerdin, he is currently in act III Hell and coming along nicely. He will beat the game, it will simlpy take a lot of time.

I have been reading a lot into Mf recently, very helpful threads out there thank you. One thing that i am concerned about is how on earth are people taking Sorcs to act III in Hell to Mf run Mephisto. I plan on running MF to get rich, thus posing a major problem.

I guess a solution would be a cheap sorc that is able to get there, i couldnt think of anything, if a hammerdin (decently equipped) is havign this much trouble, how on earth would a sorc (immunities, bosses, ancients, resis) have " a chane in Hell".

-thanks for the time.

Re: MF Concerns

first of ancients and resistance are no problem. Don't do the ancients (untill youve got decent gear and/or can mp) and both ancient tunnels and meph can easily be run with -100 res all.

the biggest problem for a pure blizz sorc (and were talking single element here, so blizz is the best mfer. if you go with a dual element sorc you just own everything) is the viper temple in act 2. vipers are cold immune and fast enough to kill you while teleporting. for all other stuff 63% fcr and teleport will do the trick, and cold mastery will make sure bosses go down fast

i would do duel element. cold/fire, obviously. i just cant even imagine getting through the first three acts of normal. no resistances, to mana, and no damage. i guess hell can be done if you tele everything and drink mana potions like your getting paid. but if the damage really high enough, i mean durriel in hell, how do you get around that. (just to use an example)....and thanks

How do they do it in SP? They can play the game without uber gear? Impossible!!!!

OK, I am sorry, that was a snide remark (but I couldn't resist it).

Basically these steps:
1) make a blizzsorc.
2) until lvl 30 it's quite tough if untwinked, but after that it's going to be breeze especially with RWM installed (I hate Spirit and Insight, it makes the game too easy)
3) stop at NM Mephisto and farm him till you get some basic equipment. Skin of Vipermagi, Chancies, Kelpie Snare, Shaftstop, Oculus, War Travs, Skullders etc. You don't need them all of course.
4) stop at Hell Mephisto to get more gear.
5) somehow go save Anya (or join a MP game, the Frozen River is full of hard hitting cold immunes so going solo might be tricky) and stop at Mr. Pindleskin to give you great EXP and Tal Rasha's armor.
Then alternate between Meph, Pindle and Ancient Tunnels at will

EDIT: The minor obstacle is having cold immunes in hell. BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO KILL THEM!!!!! Just teleport around them.

And I really don't suggest dual tree sorc, they usually suck in both element they use if they are untwinked.

ha, i can only respect the snide remark. no apology necessary. but it is true, playing dii without gettign rushed and having gear waiting for me was definitly somethign to get used to. i have no idea what "untwinked" means, sorry. same with RWM (although i'm assuming it is a program that allowes runewords. and how would a cold sorc get through it all. how on earth do you beat cold resis?! and my focus is getting to nm mephisto, i can even imagine. also what does an oculus cost (in pgems) and if thats not a valid question (in runes)...thanks

ok, i'm going to assume your playing expansion, so there's two possible situations, one where you have rwm and one where you don't

rwm: this one is easy: dual spirit (with a nice roll you hit the 63% fcr bp) and insight on the merc and you can basically own anything. let the merc tank duriel and just spam your strongest spell or teleport and spam a spammable spell, duriel goes down easily (don't forget static field, and if you can manage it, some crushing blow on the merc)

vanilla: this one's harder. just make sure you get 63% fcr and some +skills and you should be alright. You can always run nm meph for some good gear if you can't do hell yet, same strategy for duriel really.

the first 3 acts of normal are (imo at least) the most difficult for a sorc, you'll be meleeing quite a lot here, and depending on your build start killing with spells at lvl 24 (though meteorbs can kill with fireball from lvl 12, just get a leaf staff and a load of mana potions and you'll do fine.) normal can be quite tedious, but you can always rely on the merc to kill evrerything up to lvl 30

edit: @ occulus prizes, check the sptf for trading. It all depends on wether you're softcore/hardcore and FAM or vanilla, occys usually cost ± 20 pgems though. Do read both the spf rules and the sptf rules before attempting to trade tgough, as you'll need to know what you can and cannot do, we're quite strict here when it comes to trading

This is how I would usually level a blizz sorc from the start, untwinked. (Note, all at /p8)

Lvl 1-6 - Den + Blood Moor
Lvl 7-12 - Crypt + Mausoleum + Tristram
Lvl 13-16 - Forgotten Towers
Lvl 17-24 - Arcane Sanctuary + Tombs
Lvl 24-27 - Random Dungeons in Act3 Kurast Areas
Lvl 28-33 - Shenk/Eldritch
Lvl 34-40 - Pindle
Lvl 41 onwards - Baal

After this, you should have enough skill points and stats to breeze through nightmare. You can level at shenk/eldritch/pindle at NM easily till about 70. From 71-76, it's roughly 1 baal run at /p8 per level. Once you hit 75ish, it's all about teleporting through hell till you get to the area you wanna run.

Tip: For Hell Trav, you don't have to kill all the councils (there'll be 1 or 2 CI's), just make sure to get the flail to smash the orb. I wasted my time trying to kill to last time only to realise I didn't have to...

thanks...that was my next question, the merc. also with spirit, RWM allows you to build ladder runewords, because i am not sure how ladder would work in SP. and yes, the merc. that was my next question...

Basically RWM allows you to make any Ladder-only runewords on SP. So it's safe to say you can make any runeword you want on SP with RWM.

For your merc, you don't have to go with anything too fancy. A simple Gaze/Shaft/Insight would make sure that he doesn't die that much. A blizz sorc would usually use glacial spike to freeze all the monsters, allowing your merc to leech off without taking damage.

oh, sorry BFMV, i completely missed your post. i will most definitly refer back to it when looking to level. thanks

well i am thinking of making a fire/cold sorc. that way if i ever MF enough i can finish the game no problem. and how do you get RWM?

Okay, I will try to actually be helpful, though the points I wrote in my last post are valid.

RWM - yes installing a mod enabling Bnet runewords. DOWNLOAD and GUIDE in stickies!!!!!

untwinked means "without any items given or traded by other characters", also used when talking about the starter character (like at the beginning of the ladder or when you start SP)

Also in NM there are not any immunities on regular monsters until 4th act and even then they are very rare. In case if immune monster or random boss - just don't kill them, teleport around. Blizzard is very strong in NM, there is no problem getting to NM Meph.

And yes, getting to Hell Meph will require some FCR (Spirit sword also gives FCR and +mana!) Also completely untwinked you can get Spirit sword late in normal (ilvl of the sword has to be higher than 25 to be able to get 4 sockets - try crystal sword from normal cows) and Monarchs drop in hell difficulty... so you still has to somehow get through first ~30 levels.

I also forgot to mention /playersX command, very useful for leveling.

Oculus goes for few PGems IMHO, I don't trade, but you can check SPF trading forum... and the prize check. An Item droppable by NM Meph really shouldn't be more expensive...

RWM allows you to build ladder runewords, yes. Insight is pretty much staple for those that use RWM, so you already got the weapon spot covered:) As for armors there are a ton of good options, I`m sure you can figure those out. Resist, CBF, Damage reduction, Leech and all that stuff are what you are looking for.

As for the cold immunes; Insight is a pretty good merc weapon when it comes to damage as well. Just spam Static and TK and let him kill them. Or Teleport away from them, it`s not really a huge problem.

Edit: I wrote this like 6 posts ago, better practice my writing skills. You guys own me:)

Hrus just gave a good explanation for untwinked, you can be untwinked with using atma as an extended stash. Also, all my chars would be untwinked if that meant not using atma, cause i use gomule :D

yeah i wont be untwinked. i already have the weapon and shield for spirit. so ill just transfer those over i guess. well ill try it out, thank you to everyone for all your help.

Not sure if anyone mentioned, but also Ancient Tunnels is in Act 2 and is one area Blizz sorcs do the best i think. Good exp and you can get some of the best items.

well let me ask you, i was thinking of doing metorb. that way one day when i am rich enough i can do it all. what levels do you put on what skills?

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254070

Really good meteorb guide. Follow it and you should be fine. Disregard some gear suggestions though.

If you have base for spirit, normal will be much easier. FO will kill almost everything in NM. Just remember that FO is your back up not main attack. Your main and most damaging attack will be from Fire tree. I would also recommend to stop and farm NM Andy. She has the highest chance to drop SOJ along with some other low level good stuff.

8DS: SoJ is overrated

OP: blizzsorc is the best imo, though of course it's your choice

I'd recommend reading the stickies, SPF is different to BNet

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High