Wolfbarbs-The ultimate guide (Revised verson)

Re: Wolfbarbs-The ultimate guide (Revised verson)

Honestly, no, unless you have alot of damage modifiers to boost that damage. Deadly Strike is a must for that matter. As a PvP Wolfbarb with all my max gear and charms, I can only obtain damage of 1.6 k tops. That barely puts me up to scope of dealing with monsters, but that does at least work. Anything less than 1k damage isn't worth running the Caddy.

Got myself another griefpb. Im very impressed with this build. My fury druid was total garbage and always struggling to stay alive. But this guy can muscle through might enhanced mobs while being amp'd and not work a sweat.

Is fhr a must in pvp? Since barbs don't normally flinch like babies. If so, what's a good enough %, since barbs can reach higher frames with less.

I always aim for the 86 BP. I think its 86 lol :D All i know i put 90 on to hit a decent enough frame.

ITs a must in pvp.

WIth some serious gear you can stand in the middle of some frenzied minotaurs for ages before even dieing.

Mine had 10k hp about 35k defense and ar . Max block and near all the gear was indestructable. lol

Umm, kinda don't have mad money to blow on flawless gear and charms.

I heard barbs reach the same fhr frame at 48 that other characters do at 86.

What gear did you have? Some fhr charms? Best I could think of was 50% with dungo/bloodfist/treks.

I have a shael wolfhowl ,dungos and bloodfists rest were in life 5 fhr charms. I cant remember but i think they go off druid wereform stats. 4 frame at 42 3 frame at 86.

Of course i didnt always run around with 86 i used other things such as a cham wolfhowl so i could skip using a raven in melee duels i prefered angelics. I have a full box of changing items . Oh and i recomend 2 hotos as the only choice for second slot items. 6 to bo werewolf and Lycanthropy makes nearly every life charm 4x as effective so 20 is 80 ish depending on the level achieved in prebuff.

I used all xx life with various mods in all possible slots apart from torch and anni . doesnt take 100% awesome gear to get that much ar ,defense and hp although the defense may..

I have mostly AR charms and gcs and a couple modded lifers. Would you consider mastery lifers great for this guy?

Is 17000 AR(angelic ammy/1 ring), 24500 def(partly bc of my low rate fort n other stuff), and 5600 life decent for lvl 81? Have 71 block also. Maybe if I have more buffer gear like nigma/maras to go with my dual hotos? Anything that adds to druid skills won't work right? Only +all skills only help.

Also, do your weapon masteries stack with deadly strike?

Id prefer warcry lifers for a wolfbarb since the masterys kinda tail off into dinmishing returns pretty early id use either warcry lifers or LIFE scs with any mods you think are decent.

Correct druid skills dont work only all skills.

Dual hoto ,Enigma and if possible a 6/6/6 wolfhowl thats all you need. Jewelery would just take up space and wouldnt serve any purpose but prebuff although a highlords could come in handy.

Enigma is useful to take out amazons because of the 45% run walk and try and max that block.

Erm it does stack kinda since you will first roll for deadly then roll for critical when you fail for deadly or the other way around.

fhr matter:

when you shape to wolf you are wolf :scratchchin: , so you use werewolf fhr breakpoints. werewolf have best fhr rate of all chars in game. with 42 % you have 4 frames and with 86 % 3 frames

in pvp i use cube in inventory (so i losse 4 spaces) to carry coh,3 wc amu, seraph (+2 @ skills), bk, arach. this way i gain around 1300 hp, which is not bad

i dont recomend skillers but this type of charms:
max/ar/life
ar/life
max/ar/frw
ar/frw
resists/frw
fhr if needed

I'll be making a wolfbarb this weekend, utilising my zealot's gear, credits to Zero-Unit for his suggestions:

wolfhowl
eth zod arkaine
dungo
4shael gris caddy
shael ss
upped gores
rends
angelics
2 hotos
2 soj+mara+arach for prebuff
torch+anni
max/ar/lifers

using hero editor, at level 90 my stats will be:
8.6k life prebuffed
33k defense
31k ar
700-1.5k damage
4fpa attack

If I change to fort after prebuffing, stats will be
8.5k life
27.8k def
30k ar
1k-2k dmg

only 30frw though lol.

It will mainly be a melee dueler, like my zealer.

Can't wait till this weekend to rush and level it!

Last edited:

forti is better choice. also check your defense after chilling cast from being struck.

you will have some 40 frw from increased speed which increases speed moe then frw from items. extra speed is always good.
so far i havent beat any good paladin with him (zealot, smiter) or bvb, chars which have high max block and high defense. for those chars is needed high ar (20k+ range). since i cant beat them i dont bother with angelics and normally use 2 ravens +cats eye

rends are not best gloves for him. use uped bloodfist or draculs (if allowed)

ber or jewel -15% req/7 fhr/adds is better then shael in ss, since blocking is changed in recent patches

crafted ow/str/fhr/life/adds belt will benefit him more then verdungo

for prebuff cast use +3 wc amu then mara/seraph for morphing

I disagree with a few things you have to say there, in PvP melee, defense is everything so his choice of armor is actually my prefered and used armor on my Wolfbarb. Also the damage Steelrend's offer is a great help, especially for a Caddy, the more damage the better because Feral Isn't giving us a whole lot to hurt with. Sheal'd SS is fine because that extra frame block does help. Verdungo's is ideal because of life/fhr/and DR what else could be better? Lastly, all skill is prefered when buffing because the wolf bonus's add a substantial amount of bonus's.

If you want to know what my winning and successful build is, it's this.

Ethereal Arkaine's Valor - Zod
Wolfhowl - Sheal
Stormshield - Sheal
Griswold's Cadecues - x4 Sheal
Gorerider's
Steelrends
Verdungos
Angelic Rings and Amulet

My buff gear is:

x2 HoTO
Mara's
x2 SoJ's
Arachnid's
Valor
Wolfhowl

With Anni it's a lvl 21 Wolfbuff, along side with lvl 40 War Cries.

As for charm's I use 6 - 5% FHR 20/20's, Anni, Torch and the rest as 3/20/20's

All my Gear is perfect, keep in mind. My stats are laid out to be exactly enough Strength with all my equipment before a Stormshield to wear one, so my Strength in the end is 206. My Dexterity total's up to 222 with all my gear on, the rest went into Vitality.

So there you have it Wolfer's my exact build.

I disagree with a few things you have to say there, in PvP melee, defense is everything so his choice of armor is actually my prefered and used armor on my Wolfbarb.

Then why not go with eCara or ePrudence? Also, wouldn't Sacred Fort be viable, since there isn't a huge difference in defense, but the damage plus the extra damage from the str req would be-huge?

I like the Valor due to the fact that it offer's FHR, Life, defense and most importantly, +2 all skill. Which helps feral rage and everything else. That is why it's my armor of choice for a Wolfbarb. It has everything I want out of an Armor.

Wolfhowl - Sheal
Stormshield - Sheal
Gorerider's
Steelrends
Verdungos
Angelic Rings and Amulet

My buff gear is:

x2 HoTO
Mara's
x2 SoJ's
Arachnid's
Valor
Wolfhowl

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you play melee duels only, since the only resists you have are from torch/anni, nat res and SS (minimal). Do you duel casters and if so, do you switch out any gear?

Also, do you find the 10% OW from gore riders is enough for duels?

I only melee, so I don't carry an anti-cast set up. As far as Open Wounds, it's sufficient for me, considering I don't rely on it.

I disagree with a few things you have to say there, in PvP melee, defense is everything so his choice of armor is actually my prefered and used armor on my Wolfbarb. Also the damage Steelrend's offer is a great help, especially for a Caddy, the more damage the better because Feral Isn't giving us a whole lot to hurt with. Sheal'd SS is fine because that extra frame block does help. Verdungo's is ideal because of life/fhr/and DR what else could be better? Lastly, all skill is prefered when buffing because the wolf bonus's add a substantial amount of bonus's.

Wolfhowl - Sheal
Stormshield - Sheal
Gorerider's
Steelrends
Verdungos
Angelic Rings and Amulet

My buff gear is:

x2 HoTO
Mara's
x2 SoJ's
Arachnid's
Valor
Wolfhowl

All my Gear is perfect, keep in mind. My stats are laid out to be exactly enough Strength with all my equipment before a Stormshield to wear one, so my Strength in the end is 206. My Dexterity total's up to 222 with all my gear on, the rest went into Vitality.

So there you have it Wolfer's my exact build.

analyzing your set up i found out that your damage (pure physical) is:

773-1479 with chance to do double damage less then 34 %
so maximum possible damage is 1546-2958
after pvp penalty this goes to 258-493
asuming opponent also have 50 % dr --> 129-247 :scratchchin:
thats the damage when you get deadly/critical, if not, damage goes to 65-123.
lets change valor for fortitude:

1123-2148; deadly/critical --> 2246-4296
pvp penalty --> 374-716
50 % dr --> 187-358 :thumbsup:

lets switch gris for grief pb:

damage 3874-4746, with chance for deadly 49 % --> 7748-9492
pvp penalty --> 1291-1582
50 % dr --> 646-791 :thumbup:

grief gives more damage over time vs gris, but in some situations it is better to use gris (vs amazon for instance)

comparison verdungo vs crafted blood belt

life: 160 life verdungo, crafted few hundred depends on roll
- dr: verdungo 15 % --> can be covered partially on shield
- fhr: 10 % fhr dungo --> 24 % crafted belt
- ow: up to 10 % on crafted
- str: up to 30 on crafted
- resists possible on crafted

comparison steelrends vs upped bloodfist:
- dmg: 80 % less damage modifier (counting 20 str)--> bloodfist nn for fhr charms, so you can have dmg charms +5 min on gloves
- defense: steels > bloodfist
- life: 40 on bloodfist
- fhr: 30 % on bloodfist, see first note

in melee vs melee duels, if opponent have max block, your chance for open wounds are less then 2,5 %, cause some of swings will miss, if not blocked due to defense and always present 5 % chance to miss

on forti you dont loose much defense vs valor. perfect eth will have 2175 def vs kraken shell forty with 15 ed which have 1647, plus forty casts chilling armor giving 115 % to defence

Even though your calculations seems to outweigh a few of my things, when it comes down to it, versus a serious Zealot or Concentration Barb, you'll find that a set up like mine is ideal. It's what kept me surviving and winning my duels thus far and I could not find any other set up that bests it. I have done alot of experimenting when I started this guide, and that set up is what I've concluded to. I also understand it is a matter of personal preference as to what we use, but I speak based off many trials I've underwent.

I think there are a couple tried and tested ways to make them and I guess it all depends on what logic works for you when you pvp.

The setup I have been using this season has worked out pretty well for me with the only problems I consistently run in to being from Smiters and top end Whirl Barbs. Casters aren't much of a problem at all and I would suspect that most setups are good to go as even my wolfbarb from last season with different gear and worse res didn't have much problems with casters either.

Overall, I am happy with the huge life gain from the rare belt and the fhr from it to be very useful in allowing me to use other scs in place of life/fhr scs, I probably lose out a little bit from the DR that can be had on Dungoes but I feel the rare shines enough in other places. I like the speed from the caddy even though it's a trade off from the high damage of grief but I feel it evens itself out from the speed and the chance to put people in block mode more often.

I have actually tried an EPrudence and a EToothrow and found that Fort just seems to be just that much better because what I gain in defense I lose in damage in the other two armors.

In the end, with the gear set up that I have this is what I get:

3/6/6/6 Wolfhowl Shael
15ED AP Fort (1.5x Life/30 Res)
4x Shael Cad
SShield Shael (SShield Cham in stash)
Steelrends
Up'ed Goreriders
Rare Belt 24FHR/19Str/56Life/MinorMods
Duel Angelics

Life/AR SCs
Life/Res SCs
Max/Life/AR SCs
Life/AR GCs
1 Mastery Life GC
Anni
Torch

With prebuff gear I get 20/40/40 (41/41 after BC) Warcry Skills giving me:

'Upgraydd'
CLev 94
Dam 1094-1309
AR 31365
Def 30417
Life 8985
FRes 72
CRes 75
FRes 80
PRes 69

Next season I plan on trying to build a pvp werebear because I just haven't really seen anyone using them for pvp and the one or two that I have seen have not had a lot of success.

Vs melee IMO eth valor is better because of the higher defence. Based on my experience with zealots, 30k is the minimum defense I would aim with a melee char.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High