News from Bashiok: skill-tree re-specialization in 1.13 if

Re: News from Bashiok: skill-tree re-specialization in 1.13

While I think it would be nice to respec, it would also remove 1) the prior proper planning that is 1/3 the fun of a new build (for me anyway), 2) the incentive to thoroughly explore build guides/matpatguardian threads/etc before beginning a build, and 3) the incentive to play 83000982598102357 characters.

The option to respec prevents you from doing this how?

After thinking about it, I have a feeling that Blizzard is doing a bit of an overhaul on the skills. If they introduce respecing, then everyone won't have to rebuild their characters. I'm sure some people would stop playing on b.net if their level 99 Uber sorc sucked with the revamped skills.

I am not too sure if there is even a serious need for respeccing in D2, given the prevalence of synergies and cookie cutter build guides readily available.

I guess one benefit would be that you can now max out a low lv skill with ease of mind, knowing that you can take out those skill points and invest them in higher-lv skills as they become available. You no longer have to hoard points, you can spend them as you get them. For example, my paladin can pump holy fire while waiting to get to lv24 for holy shock (and at lv24+, start respeccing points from holy fire into holy shock). :)

So lower lv gameplay just might be fun again, instead of simply being tedious and a chore.

The option to respec prevents you from doing this how?

Well, let's say I want to try out a Charged Boltress with Fireball. Under the current system, I google, check forums (this one and several others on the diii site and other rival sites), play with the skill planner, crunch some numbers on paper, write out a skill and attribute allocation scheme, and sleep on it before I even fire up D2.

Now, suppose I could re-spec. I know that I need CB/L/LM to max Charged Bolt. I know I need, say 20 FB, 10Fbolt/FM. I start up D2, play for some number of days. Then I find that FB and CB don't work well together (or maybe I just don't like it). *poof* I move the FB points to FO, and the FBolt/FM points to CM/IceBolt, and I suddenly have a perfectly viable CB/FOrber, dig? Or maybe I don't like CB either: I take those points and put them into CL and have an even more viable CLOrber.

Re-skilling sortof ruins the fun/excitement/drudgery of testing out builds, at least on my completely noob view.

But again, it would be nice for moving the odd finger slippage-related mis-spent point, or perhaps (as I said before) reclaiming some points from the relatively useless Thunderstorm in favor of FB synergies and FO points, as long as the penalty/cost were sufficiently high (experience, skill points, etc., or maybe even 1,000,000,000 gold (which would take a prohibitively long time to acquire)).

@jamesixgun:
My point is that if you enjoy planning characters and researching ahead of time, you can still do that. Nothing forces you to use the respec system.

@Smips: I agree, of course, and to each his/her own as regards any sort of activity, especially something as relatively trivial as D2. As I said, I may or may not even install 1.13, so (for me, anyway) it's likely a mute point.

@jamesixgun:
My point is that if you enjoy planning characters and researching ahead of time, you can still do that. Nothing forces you to use the respec system.

True :) And if you choose not to use it, you can still brag with the enormous amount of Mat/Pat/Guardians you have! :thumbup:

Come to think of it, it would possibly be a bad idea just to make one character in HC because you can reallocate your skill points - if that one dies, there's no backup character you can use for a while (until you levelled another, that is). So creating more than one character of each class might still be a good idea.

I think that being able to reallocate skill points sounds great. If there's little cost to it, it could end up being a fun way to mess with people in PvP. Imagine going in to one fight as a Blizz sorc, finding out that your opponent has stacked cold resists, then coming into the next fight as a pure fire sorc. Sounds like fun to me!

I worry, however, that to re-spec means another overhaul of the skill synergies. This would be troublesome since it would (probably) render a whole lot of characters completely useless. It would be fun to come up with new viable builds, of course, but its frustrating to have level 90+ characters rendered no longer viable.

True :) And if you choose not to use it, you can still brag with the enormous amount of Mat/Pat/Guardians you have! :thumbup:

Ummm. . . what 'enormous amount' are we talking about here? :scratchchin:
The 80-odd characters I've killed off over the years? :smug:
The couple dozen tourney toons that have met their deeds under my skillful watch? :alright:
Or maybe the 0 mats/pats/guardians I have on the char screen? :cloud9:

Actually, since 0 is something of a nonsense number, it's probably safe to say (theoretically anyway) that 0 is enourmous, though perhaps not an enormous amount. . . :girly:

[/OT] [/self-deprecating humor]

Interesting, but I very rarely have the need to respec any skills. It does have some interesting implications, though. Like wolfbarbs would be considerably easier to level up, and making specialized PvP builds would be a bit easier, if you can quest with a normal PvM build.

My OCD self, who detests wasted and ill placed skillpoints, would probably use it just for this. No more bloodletters to level with, and the accompanying level up bug? Count me in for that, I think, at least thats my first impression.

TPWWWLT: Even Flow by Pearl Jam

CM

I would actually have hoped that they'd spend less time on unnecessary features like that, and more time on actually useful stuff
Unnecessary features = features I dislike. Useful stuff = stuff I like.

So to us ignorant people who have never WoW'd, what is the cost for re-skilling? Is it a gold cost or do they take away skill points?
Last time I played WoW (admittedly over a year ago), the first respec was free and each subsequent respec would cost an additional 5 g, up to 50 g which was the cap. At level 70 (the level I played at), 50 g was about ~30 minutes of efficient farming. A respec refunds all your talent/skill points and allows you to spend them however you want, by the way.

Granted, you cannot directly compare WoW and D2 in that respect because WoW calls for respecs far, far more often than D2 does. In WoW, respeccing once or twice a day isn't unheard of and was one of the reasons Blizzard decided to add a dual-spec feature that, for the price of 1000 g, allows you to switch between two specs whenever you want (barring in combat).

Titan Quest allows respecs in that you can buy back 1 skill point at the time. The price increases for each point you purchase until you hit the price cap, which is rather high. I'm guessing this is how respecs will work in 1.13, making full respecs very expensive but minor changes relatively cheap.

Instead of spending item resources, how about each respec would actually cost you a skillpoint(s)? Sure, you can respec all you want, but the more you do, the less effective your character will eventually be. Knowing how OCD D2 players can be about their characters being absolutely perfect, something like 5 skill points lost to respecing is huge.
As you concluded, such a feature would be useless because the people who would perhaps want to use it the most would not want to use it at all.

You cannot introduce a feature that allows you to buy back stat points at the cost of stat points. The currency with which you purchase respecs needs to come from a renewable source, such as gold, rather than your own character, not only because the alternative doesn't make any sense, but also because respecs then become a gold sink which helps balance the economy by reducing inflation.

And as to 1.13, I fully intend to 4) wait to see what the SPF community has to say about 1.13 before I even consider installing it.
You're suggesting a community that allows several third party mods would ban an official content patch?

Well, let's say I want to try out a Charged Boltress with Fireball. Under the current system, I google, check forums (this one and several others on the diii site and other rival sites), play with the skill planner, crunch some numbers on paper, write out a skill and attribute allocation scheme, and sleep on it before I even fire up D2.

Now, suppose I could re-spec. I know that I need CB/L/LM to max Charged Bolt. I know I need, say 20 FB, 10Fbolt/FM. I start up D2, play for some number of days. Then I find that FB and CB don't work well together (or maybe I just don't like it). *poof* I move the FB points to FO, and the FBolt/FM points to CM/IceBolt, and I suddenly have a perfectly viable CB/FOrber, dig? Or maybe I don't like CB either: I take those points and put them into CL and have an even more viable CLOrber.

Re-skilling sortof ruins the fun/excitement/drudgery of testing out builds, at least on my completely noob view.
I understand your concern, but in your example above, you could avoid the whole respec scenario just by planning a bit better and avoiding putting points in poor abilities to begin with.

That aside, it's odd that you say re-skilling ruins the fun/excitement/whatever of trying out builds because that's exactly what I believe most people feel about lack of respecs. Being forced to create a new character just to try out a certain skill or synergy alienates the part of the player base that do not have time to go through the levelling up procedure just to try out said skills. It's an excellent example of bad and archaic game design and probably one of the reasons 1.13 features respecs.

I worry, however, that to re-spec means another overhaul of the skill synergies. This would be troublesome since it would (probably) render a whole lot of characters completely useless. It would be fun to come up with new viable builds, of course, but its frustrating to have level 90+ characters rendered no longer viable.
In WoW, if a class' talent trees change a lot then all (class) players have their talent points reset for free. If the D2 team decides to mess around with the skill trees, a similar solution to the problem you mention seems likely.

In WoW, if a class' talent trees change a lot then all (class) players have their talent points reset for free. If the D2 team decides to mess around with the skill trees, a similar solution to the problem you mention seems likely.
Well, that didn't happen when synergies were introduced, so I doubt that will happen. But after reading through your and other people's posts, I have to admit I don't feel so bad about re-spec anymore :)

EDIT: lol @ jamesixgun's post above :D

Last edited:

You're suggesting a community that allows several third party mods would ban an official content patch?

Not in the slightest. I'm saying that I trust the opinions of most of the members of this forum, and if they decided against upgrading for whatever reason, their decision might play a role in my own decision to upgrade or not.

In my nO0b opinion, respecing would significantly change the game and since I have yet to master anything beyond A1Normal, I might want to stick with 1.12+GoMule+RWM/RRM until I learn how to actually play this game.

All that said, as I said before, to each his/her own.

I, for one, would welcome the ability to respec, presuming the cost to be reasonable and not crippling to the character. I have spent days researching specifics about certain skills and mechanics only to find out that my idea was flawed to begin with. If I could respec on a whim, I would create 7 new characters, level them sufficiently, then when a new idea popped into my head I could simply respec a character and try it out (assuming I already had the gear).

As it is, I fall into the category of "don't have enough time to create so many toons" and therefore have six sorceresses, one amazon and one paladin. The sorceresses I can zip through with decent gear and finish in a reasonable amount of time, so trying different builds is doable. The amazon and paladin were basically unstoppable cookie cutters so they took a little longer than the sorc, but not much. I haven't been bothered to finish my two druids, assassin, necro, and barb for lack of time.

Kinda OT for us at the spf but the currency that they will use for the respeccing will probably be the next bnet currency, if they take any fee at all that is, in my opinion the best option would be for the player to be able to put skills with left click and take skills with right click, since this will as mentioned earlier make the early stages more fun.
Also i dont think the option of respeccing is there to kill new "exciting" mats/pats, since these tend to use a special set of gear/stat points etc, I rather thinks it's inteded for the situations where you IE have a axe fury barb but also want a sword one.
But this is just my opinion:p

I could see them doing this as a trial and error type of thing because of D3 and to judge their fanbase's reaction to this. This will be on a PTR before the actual release so I do not see any harm in it.

if they take any fee at all that is, in my opinion the best option would be for the player to be able to put skills with left click and take skills with right click, since this will as mentioned earlier make the early stages more fun.

I don't think that having re-specialization be completely free is a good idea, but I am willing to bet that the cost that is included in the patch will be trivial. I.e. 1000 gold per skill point or something similar.

Re-specialization is certainly an intriguing idea, but a part of me can't help but think this new 'feature' will be restricted to Cattle.net and its hordes of zoMg gib eNigima olololol denizens. IMHO, ever since patch 1.10 went final, Blizzard has all but [highlight]abandoned[/highlight] the offline community, and I feel that this trend won't be stopping anytime soon. Personally I think that this new patch will make even 1.12 seem epic in comparison, and even if they do add new content, new rune words for example, they will sux even harder than the 1.11 additions, Treachery not included of course.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this, on one hand I think its nice to be able to change your skills but on the other isn't Diablo about (most certainly for me atleast) trial and error? I love trying out some wacky builds that fail terribly as soon as I reach Hell, it makes me think about what did go wrong and how can I improve it, with a respecc tool I'm just gonna change some skills and suddenly Baal is down. I know I don't have to use this feature but I know I'm gonna :(

I think this is a dumb addition, like there will be no point in making new characters after you made seven since you can just change their skills at will.

Blizzard is going downhill IMO

I think this is a dumb addition, like there will be no point in making new characters after you made seven since you can just change their skills at will.

Blizzard is going downhill IMO

Theoretically, but not necessarily. While you could have only seven characters, many of us have special builds for special purposes. If there is any cost to respec'ing your character, you're not going to want to respec each time you want to do something different if you ever plan to go back to what you had.

Most of us will probably keep around our go-to characters and make a toon to play around with. Consider that you may need different gear for a different skillset, and regearing the same character time and again could get old if you consistently switch.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High