Fireball / Charged boltress?

KahlForPrez

Jun 13, 2009
Fireball / Charged boltress?

so im still sitting around thinking about the ladder reset, and have been playin some SP and a little online to get ideas for my first character after the reset...

and well i think im goin a windy druid, but that isnt the point of this rant

i would like to make a sorc after i get some wealth of whal i am gaining wealth...

and well what can i say, cookie cutter builds just dont suit me...

so i was considering a new one and after messin around with fireball i have come to the conclusion that a fireball sorc really only needs 1 synergy and maybe a point into mastery... a well geared one that is...

and with the synergies being so little for charged bolt they seem like a fun idea

gear to the 163 FCR bp at least maybe hitting 200 with the right gear, although what one gives up to reach 163 or 200 there is very little diffrence... just a matter of cost gettin the circ or the ammy

or a perefect Eschuta's Temper but a hoto would do just fine

has anyone ever tried anything like this? and if not charged bolt i could go nova which with good gear has the same effect and would do just fine i believe...

as for points im thinkin something like this

firebolt ~ 20
fireball ~ 20
fire mastery ~ 1
warmth ~ 1

charged bolt ~ 20
Lightning ~ 20 --- max last?
Lit Mastery ~ 20 ???
tele and pre rq ~ 2

104 total what is that then done at 92 ?

if not charged bolt then nova which means even less points right? and with less points i could pump fire more

any ideas or thoughts feel free to leave um i wanna hear what ever you have got

Re: Fireball / Charged boltress?

The bp before 200 is 105, so you can save some of your fcr gear for other things :p

IMO HotO > Eschuta's. But on a hybrid you might want to use full Tal's. -15% ELR and -15% EFR means a bit less -ELR than Griff's, but you've just saved 3 fire facet slots.

Mastery will do more for your CB than Lightning, so yea, max that first.

Nova needs much better gear to be safe in Hell, I wouldn't go that way at the start of a season.

Charged Bolt with Frozen Orb works a treat. You only 60 skill points to fully develop Charged Bolt and ~40 points for Frozen Orb, which fits great within the 110 skill point limit. Whereas Fire Ball needs at least 60 points (up to 80) as well to be competetive. Besides, Orb is just the best secondary damage skill for a dual element PvM Sorceress, bar none.

Charged Bolt does a lot more damage than Nova when fully developed with plenty of top-end gear, and is safer in usage and a lot more versatile - it can be used to spray down an advancing mob from a distance or take down a boss up-close.

It's cookie cutter yes but it's efficient. Of course, I prefer a Fire Ball/Frozen Orb Sorceress myself, but I found Charged Bolt alternative to be just as fun and destructive.

ok well with optimum gear setup i would be getting between 14-18 skills reaching at least the 105 FCR bp with the option to hit 200 and not go below the +14 skill points and its a somewhat cheap setup other than a good Eschuta's and a griffs, but with a tals setup i would still be gettin the 14 skill points and hitting the 105 BP

the main reason for not wanting to go frozen orb is the fact that i like to run a holy freeze merc and ITS A TIMERED SKILL!! with hitting 200 FCR there is no point in running a timered skill at all,

charged bolt would be the main skill, and the fireball would be just as powerful as a number of the MeteOrb//Orb it all~~ builds

yes, i do have optimum gear in mind this isnt a character to start ladder with, but this character seems like just goin fireball till its maxxed could walk you through NM without a problem, with a base dammage of about 1k with only bolt/ball/1 in mastery and no gear

if i went with a nova setup and not a charged bolt one i could hit about 6k dammage compared to 4k with charged bolt, but if we are talking theory here what would be better the -15 on tals or the +15 on Eschuta's? (i know it goes higher than 15...)

and i would like to run a HF merc with an Infinity which would help both ball and Charged bolt

and truthfully looking at the stats orb does similar dammage to charged bolt, yes bolt takes a little more synergies but its not timered so SPAM AWAY!!

im not looking to change this build really i think it will own once i hit a nice FCR, i would like to hear from anyone about ideas or minor changes to the build or imput about going Nova over CB... but i dont want a meteorb sorc, been there done that id go bliz before going meteorb again

and if you have built a similar sorc i would REALLY love to hear about the experience, if it worked or failed epically i asked about the for a reason, not to be told yet again that i should play a meteorb... dont should on me...

what would be better the -15 on tals or the +15 on Eschuta's? (i know it goes higher than 15...)

You can read the +%dmg on Eschuta's as this: +1.25-1.67 Lightning Mastery, +2.14-2.86 Fire Mastery.

Yes, Tal's > Eschuta's by a mile.

You can read the +%dmg on Eschuta's as this: +1.25-1.67 Lightning Mastery, +2.14-2.86 Fire Mastery.

Yes, Tal's > Eschuta's by a mile.

so what your tellin me is that the +2 mastery each on the tals makes up for all the +% on Eschuta's LOL i know not quite but seriously lol

ok so i was just checkin out a skill planer and it was showing that maxxing Lit mastery last is a better idea, in other words, it was showing more damage when lightning is maxxed before lit mastery...

is that right?

ok that is after adding in the +14 to skills though too... when you take away the added points mastery is better

Some great info posted here so far, so I wont be to long winded. I just happened to have made a 200fcr light/"fire"sorc here on hardcore ladder. She's not complete yet, but nearing done at the level of 88. When you say you want a fireball/charged bolt sorc, I betting its because you want something that can keep you flexible in dispatching those odd light immunes or broken light immunes that dont go down super fast to the merc. While the merc is handy at taking out those immunes he's very one at a time and with a throne full of Gloams, it's nice to be able to give him a hand. (even with infinnity).

Assuming the fairly standard 200fcr setup (there really isnt many ways to pull this off)

I bet you end up with around 13-15 + skills not counting skillers.

Griff +1
Vmagi +1
hoto+3
Spirit+2
soj+1
arachnid +1
torch+3
Anni+1

Magefist gloves, Silkweave boots , phnx shield and CTA on switch complete my gal. I end up with 2200 life and mana after bo and 75% sorb on es. equipped, Ive something like 200 Vit, 200 energy , 156 str and 75 dex for a wizzy.

20fcr ammy 1-2 (mines a 20fcr zon ammy with gobs of mana)

Light is amazing for sorcs setup on 200fcr, for this charged bolt and nova works incredibly well and will dominate that vast majority of the game so much so that a second element is pure convenience. To make the light tree shine however does make one's build pretty tight on skill points. What I did was pop a few in firewall. This skill is nice because it is a duration spell that you can laydown while spamming static and charged bolts on bosses. It's probably the highest damage and least skill intensive option for frying gloams and light immunes with your merc.

My build ended up with:

20 charged bolt
20 lightning
20 nova
20 light mastery
1 chain light,tk,es
1frozen armor
1warmth
1 firemastery
10 firewall

this yields
Firewall
Current Skill Level: 23
Fire Duration: 3.6 seconds
Average Fire Damage: 3491-3542 per second
Avergage dps : 3517
34 yards

with conviction 3517 X .85 apprx ~ 6506 dps.

More then enough to deep fry whatever you ask it too.
Far less point intensive then trying to fit fireball into the mix, or even Orb because of the pre-req's.
I consider this a pure light sorc build with options :)

Not counting the lower res from conviction or griffs on the light side , I end up with about 600 damage on charged bolt , 24K on lightning , about 2500 ish on Nova. I love this char for her versatility and being a top notch rusher.

For the merc, I highly suggest defiance. The sorc tele's so fast that the holyfreeze aura never activates on packs while your moving. Defiance stays on preventing a hit. This seems better then some cold damage and a wee bit of slow. At 200fcr this is REALLY noticable.

I thought the same thing when I started this build too -- holy freeze should make me safer. Wrong. If you're teleporting correctly (as in, hold-teleport - not click-teleport), holy freeze, like all auras, won't lock on enemies until AFTER you've teleported away with (63% fcr). There's always a slight delay in monster-aura activation, if you've played many paladins. Theoretically (I can't test this, too busy atm), 105% fcr shouldn't have holy freeze activating on enemies at all.

Try it out, see which one you prefer. $5 says you'll go defiance after 15-20 very observant teleport runs.

Thanks! Great to know there are people who still play through out there. : )

I keep a phnx shield/Cta on switch for clearing up corpses and to fill the mana and life bulb in a pinch. Handiest item ever.
Cta provides battle cry , this os gets neglected to often. Dont forget to cast this when you engage bosses it's effectively giving your around 40%dr! and helps keep that mana bulb full.

ymmv , 0.02 :girly:

Last edited:

i like what you did with that sorc but you have little to no focus on the fire damage, and with the setup the way you have it it seems to me like you may as well have build a lightning or CL sorc, and with the way you have your stats set up, i would be spamming lightning or nova, not charged bolt, which is the skill i will be going for, granted this is not a huge damage 200 FCR fireball sorc, but the dammage on fireball will not be worthless it hits 4k and being that almost all the gear grants all skills or lol +fire skills, the only thing that would make a diffrence is facets, and even then conviction and mastery points are much better than 1-2 facets

i LOVE the idea of phnx shield/Cta on switch

idk i think im gonna try a hero editor to see how 1 works out

OMFG I LOVE THIS SORCERESS!!!!!!!!!

after messin around with the hero editor, and gettin the gear setup to something worth wile may i say OMFG it spits fireballs or charged bolts... as for killin bosses as i thought i found fireball much better, and for packs the charged bolt owns...

by droping down to the 105 cast BP u can get another 1-1.5k dammage out of fireball and the charged bolts seem to spam just as fast, and since charged bolt is more for packs ne way, its not really a problem...

and after some more messin around on the hero editor... i have to say that Nova in this build owns but its not really worth the extra points in fireball and nova HAS TO be on the 200 BP in order to really be effective IMO

so charged bolt works great as does fireball, and with the mad fast cast rate there seems to be little diffrence in the time it takes me to kill mephy or andy with the fireball than a meteorb or orb it all ~~ using any of their skills ~~ and as for the difference in damage its maybe 5-6 fireballs and truthfully at 200 FCR or even 105, i have that many fireballs that miss after i kill it...

with a good gear setup i think i would go nova and fireball with only 1 synergy and 1 point in fire mastery then dump remaining points where ever you want, but im thinkin if i go this route im gonna go with energy shield and split my pure vita to 1/2 vita 1/2 energy and try and reach the .75 energy - per point of dmg with telekinesis

due manily to the fact that these are both energy intensive spells

but iv gotta say i see this sorc working and WELL, very fast and even with the pure vita nice hp and mana, just drinkin more blues than i would like to

i may have to write a guide for this sorc once i make one of my own... and not using a *** *** hero editor... so everyone knows im not really wanting to use the editor, i just know i cant get the gear in SP and i dont have a ladder account to grab what i can for cheap and Grush a character to do chaos runs, the hero editor just seemed the logical conclusion, only problem is all i can get is these 'perfect' items that i would never really be using in game... so i need to plan a little variation into the build... like now i cant equip the spirit shield i have when wearing tals cuz i have +str gear somewhere in the stuff im wearing...

longwinded post i know, but what can i say im stoked it worked, first idea i have had that worked out VERY well imo, but i cant try and convince all the meteorb sorcs out there that this one is better, but i say this, try one of these variations yourself... and then come back and tell me it isnt effective...

I gotta say that my 200 FCR Nova/Fireball sorc was a lot of fun to play. I'm glad you're enjoying your CB/Fireball build. :nod:

...Whereas Fire Ball needs at least 60 points (up to 80) as well to be competetive...

Only in full games (or PvP).

Currently I'm trying Fireball as a backup for my FrostNova / AT-runner, and only have 16 hard points in Fireball and 1 in the mastery. With +10 skills it's damage is enough for forcing hit recovery against the occasional cold-immune boss on /players1, which is sometimes a small help to my merc/overall speed (and I didn't really have much other use for those skillpoints anyways, which is why I tried it in the first place :p).

And ~5k Fireball damage at 7-8 frames is pretty solid in solo games, and only takes ~45 skillpoints with decent gear. I was using that for a backup on WSK/Baal runs, so I know it's definitely adequate.

... so it depends on what you want from Fireball as to how much you need to spend in it. More is better of course, but everybody & their grandmother has a FO backup, so if you want style points and have the gear, FB is a viable (and fun) option too.

ok well i have messed with the skill points more and have finally come to somewhat of a conclusion,

nova fireball is the way im goin, both mana intensive but im also pumping energy shield some so stats look like this

fireball ~ 20
firebolt ~ 20
mastery and warmth ~ 1 each

Nova ~ 20
Lit Mastery ~ 20
telekinesis ~ 14
tele ~ 1

this is the part that hurts and where i am thinking of changing something

Pre RQ's for es and ES itself ~~ 4

now i thinkin of a memory staff or an ES staff with CTA in it for more style points but will ES stay on and collect the benefits of Telekinesis?

with the 14 hard points in telekinesis i am taking a little more than 1 point of dmg... i would REALLY like to hit the 1-1 ratio for ES and with the +skills i already have the ES about at 75% of damage and it is owning... i have never been a fan of ES but with it built in on this build i have more mana than i could ever need and she is a tank

stat points after gear are as follows

Str ~ 156
Dex ~ base
Vit ~ 200+
Ene ~ 200+

these are not hard points like a build to follow i may use CoH i might use enigma but any way about it i dont plan to hit 200 FCR the damage i gain compared to the little bit of FCR and no noticeable difference on run speed leads me to believe that 200 is overkill and i can easily reach 105 with the dupewords that are all over bnet, and then it dosent require griffins to work, but griffs is a HUGE bonus imo

hoto magefists 35% spirit and an arach cover it completely leaving me many more options for armor ammy and the rest of my gear, meaning i can stack MF if i want to too

so in conclusion im wondering about the ES stuff if someone could answer that i would really appreciate it because if i can hit 16-18 points in telekinesis i dont think i would be touched

as always thanks in advance

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High